Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options

Joe is aware that most of his peer group are nowhere near the 1st team at their premiership clubs.
    He only has to see what has happened to Casey Palmer who left to go to Chelsea 2 years ago and how little progress he has made.
    If Gomez plays a full season for CAFC next season then we could be looking at 8 to 10 millions which Roland would snap their hands off.

Let Diego Poyet be a yardstick as well for young Joe,
    A wasted year in his career if not in his bank balance.

Not sure training with fabregas, hazard and costa can be classed as little progress made .....
    He isn't though. Barely gets a gig for their U21s last time I looked.
  • Options
    Gomez and Palmer is an interesting contrast. Played together at school,district, county and Charlton.
    Both had offers from other clubs since about the age of ten or eleven. Both refused these offers for a number of years until the extras and add ons became too much for one family to resist.
    In Gomez's case he has a family network around him that is absolutely solid and sensible. He is very well advised in that respect.
    Agent wise I do not know who represents him.
    I think he will be with us for at least one more season after this.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

Possibly controversial but if we got decent money for him in the summer - say £5m - and all that money was used to keep the existing squad and add some quality to it, I think I'd take that deal.

With the money Prem clubs earn why only £5m, it's really not a lot to them.
    If we are financially secure now and under no pressure to let our youngsters leave for peanuts then we should be asking for a lot more than £5m.

Look at Zaha at Palace a few seasons back. Had one half decent season under his belt and when the Prem teams came sniffing Palace held firm and managed to steal £15m off Man Utd for him! I know attacking players will always command higher fees but we should be taking this approach and demanding at least £10m plus add ons if there is solid interest.

No need to sell so if another club wants him then make them part with the big bucks!

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Joe is aware that most of his peer group are nowhere near the 1st team at their premiership clubs.
    He only has to see what has happened to Casey Palmer who left to go to Chelsea 2 years ago and how little progress he has made.
    If Gomez plays a full season for CAFC next season then we could be looking at 8 to 10 millions which Roland would snap their hands off.

Not sure training with fabregas, hazard and costa can be classed as little progress made .....
  • Options

Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

Possibly controversial but if we got decent money for him in the summer - say £5m - and all that money was used to keep the existing squad and add some quality to it, I think I'd take that deal.

If we are financially secure now and under no pressure to let our youngsters leave for peanuts then we should be asking for a lot more than £5m.

Look at Zaha at Palace a few seasons back. Had one half decent season under his belt and when the Prem teams came sniffing Palace held firm and managed to steal £15m off Man Utd for him! I know attacking players will always command higher fees but we should be taking this approach and demanding at least £10m plus add ons if there is solid interest.

No need to sell so if another club wants him then make them part with the big bucks!

A pacey ball playing centre half is very rare and every team in Europe is looking for one. I can see far bigger offers than £5m coming in if he continues to improve. If we make it to the premier league and he impresses we could be looking at a Ferdinand sized transfer.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

A pacey ball playing centre half is very rare and every team in Europe is looking for one. I can see far bigger offers than £5m coming in if he continues to improve. If we make it to the premier league and he impresses we could be looking at a Ferdinand sized transfer.
    Or the kid decides to stay with us and helps us to become the dominant force in European football for the next decade!!

Now where did I leave my pills??
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Yeah, posing for a photo for the Irish spot the ball competition. Meanwhile he's played a grand total of 469 minutes equivalent to just over 5 games in their youth set-up this season. And he's not getting into the England squads either is he? How's that helping his career?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Yeah, posing for a photo for the Irish spot the ball competition. Meanwhile he's played a grand total of 469 minutes equivalent to just over 5 games in their youth set-up this season. And he's not getting into the England squads either is he? How's that helping his career?
    Yes, but he is training with some of the best players in the country, and some people will tell you that, that is what counts
  • Options
    ross1 said:

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Yes, but he is training with some of the best players in the country, and some people will tell you that, that is what counts
    Well I suppose being somewhere on the same training ground, half a mile away from Fabregas and co counts as training with them!
  • Options
    I vaguely remember watching Paul Elliott as a 17/18 year old playing at centre half during the 1981/1982 and 1982/1983 season.

So to the slightly older people out there. Who would you choose? Gomez or Elliott?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the moment Elliot.

PE was more physical as I remember in a more physical era, both had/have pace and were/are technically good.

Gomez as played more games at RB than CH that I've seen and he looks good in both positions
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

I vaguely remember watching Paul Elliott as a 17/18 year old playing at centre half during the 1981/1982 and 1982/1983 season.

So to the slightly older people out there. Who would you choose? Gomez or Elliott?

He the best young defender we had since Elliott. can't split them at the moment.

The way we sold Elliott and Walsh to Luton for Peanuts is why it was so important we got the contract sorted with Joe. Not naive to believe he won't move on but another year would be great and let's see where we are then ?

• Options
    I don't care how good his support and advice network is. It's all about money in the end. He will have his head turned by his involvement with England and his agent will be in his ear non stop so that he gets his cut. He'll be told that if he wants to go on and play for England then he has to go to a big club and that Charlton will hold him back. In the end he'll listen, become disaffected and Charlton will be forced to sell. Our only hope is that now we are not skint we get a decent deal. I will be astonished if we get another full season. Great young talent though and good luck to him wherever he ends up.
  • Options
    Football League awards tonight. Joe is nominated for "apprentice of the year" and is up against Lewis Cook of Leeds and Fred Onyedinma of Millwall.
  • Options

Football League awards tonight. Joe is nominated for "apprentice of the year" and is up against Lewis Cook of Leeds and Fred Onyedinma of Millwall.

Shoe in.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    His watch is on the wrong hand!
  • Options

Shoe in.
    Lewis Cook has played more and plays further forward so I think he'll get it
  • Options

No that's the right hand
  • Options
    Gomez is just passing through. He'll move on to bigger and better things
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Shoe in.
    Lewis Cook has played more and plays further forward so I think he'll get it
    I think it will be close between Joe and Lewis Cook. Nothing personal, but I really hope the Baby Scum doesn't get it!
  • Options
    The world and his wife know about Joe Gomez. SHG has the best take, he will clearly leave us, the trick is to make it a win win for all parties.
    Joe is being watched by several top clubs every time he plays, so he needs to realise that there is a choice, and there is a choice between our first team and a top clubs reserves.
    Secondly we need to let each and every 'big' club that is sniffing around just how many clubs are interested, we need to manipulate an auction and a buying frenzy.
    Thirdly we need to screw the acquiring club for every penny they can be squeezed for, twenty million up front, appearance money, share of sell ons, pre season friendlies against their first teams for no fee, season long loan backs, a pick of their fringe players to loan, and everything else we can muster. Think Lallana rather than Poyet.
    Joe Gomez is one of three of our players constantly monitored I have been told.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    shirty5 said:

Very diplomatically put @shirty5 Elliott was very good, different type of player old school English League Centre Half but if he continues his current rate of progression I would say Gomez; more complete all round footballer.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    seth plum said:

The world and his wife know about Joe Gomez. SHG has the best take, he will clearly leave us, the trick is to make it a win win for all parties.
    Joe is being watched by several top clubs every time he plays, so he needs to realise that there is a choice, and there is a choice between our first team and a top clubs reserves.
    Secondly we need to let each and every 'big' club that is sniffing around just how many clubs are interested, we need to manipulate an auction and a buying frenzy.
    Thirdly we need to screw the acquiring club for every penny they can be squeezed for, twenty million up front, appearance money, share of sell ons, pre season friendlies against their first teams for no fee, season long loan backs, a pick of their fringe players to loan, and everything else we can muster. Think Lallana rather than Poyet.

Gomez, Gudmundsson and who else

Cousins?
    Vetokele?
    Bulot?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Great question.

The fact that it can even be asked illustrates just how good young Joe is.

I think I agree with Henry (for once :-) )
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2015
    Was Paul Elliot actually that good?

Before my time but thought he made minimal appearances for England youth teams.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Gomez, Gudmundsson and who else

Cousins?
    Vetokele?
    Bulot?
    cousins
  • Options

Selfie in the side mirror?
  • Options
    Saw much of what there was to see of Paul Elliot......in his time players as now get moved on once their value becomes meaningful for the club. Always difficult to compare players of a different era with those playing now.....but Gomez for me is the most exciting young player in half a century of watching CAFC . By chance when very young saw Bobby Moore make his debut for the Hammers. Gomez has much the same speed in the tackle, and the same close almost smothering attention he gives opponents. The final comparison with Moore is the upright stance and complete detachment from everything around him. For his years he does seem remarkably mature. Do hope we see him regularly for at least one more season.
  • Options
    Tony Watt