Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell to be Huddersfield new boss

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Top man and I wish him all the best other than against us.

Paddy Power has paid up by the way. Well done ooh aah!

you're welcome Len ;-)
  • Options
    Nug said:

DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Some fans can go far too extreme over Powell, some love him to bits and regard Huddersfield as their second team now and the other fans despise Powell and would laugh if he fails. I was gutted to see Powell sacked but football is a business at the end of the day and we had to back the new owners, the football under Riga was probably better than Powells football in the end so I accept sacking Powell was probably the right decision. I still think he was very hard done by, given the previous owners made it difficult for him in the end.

I hope he does well for himself as he gave a good service to the club as a player as well as a manager and I will certainly look out for the Huddesfield results from now on just out if curiosity.

I dont think any fans 'despise' Powell - how could they? - but there are fans that recognise that (some of) the football served during his tenure was poor to say the least - even the 101 points year from Jan to be honest (cue pelters) was tedious most of the time.
    You will be surprised after some of the comments I read all over the forums and Facebook groups, think some just like to be proved right hence the hatred.
    Hmmmm - thats not right/fair.
    Top guy.
    Still having a monkey on them to go down then?
    Being a good guy doesnt make him a good manager though . Was a bit disappointed with the odds tbh, and not good value enough at moment.
  • Options
    Glad he is back in management and wish him all the best. Worked wonders in very difficult situations at The Valley and always acted with class and integrity. Huddersfield is a stable club and so he should be given a fair crack of the whip. Hope he proves a massive success and rams all the negative comments from people on other forums back down their pathetic throats.
  • Options
    wife rang me at work tonight to tell, me she'd just watched him interviewed on Look North and about how he was looking forward to working with good honest pro's. Wish him so much success. Not when they play us of course, but if he reaches the sky with a Hudds, good luck to him. Utmost respect and he'll always be one of us. Until we meet again Chris.
  • Options
    Good to see him get a decent job fairly quickly and hopefully will have a successful time at Huddersfield (provided they finish below us). Hoyle appears to be a hands on chairman and hopefully will give Powell the opportunity to give it a go under his own terms, though in the five years that he has been in charge he is now on manager number four.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    great post, the man is a true gent, an honourable man, and a real proper Charlton man, this is something that should be just left as that, I watched him celebrate a goal at shithurst when he was commentating I cant recall if it was dennis or toderov (not even sure myself if he scored there I think he did) and he celebrated in a glass box like he was in that crowd
  • Options

Croydon said:

Will be interested to see how this pans out. Can blame Roland for his sacking until you turn blue in the face but we were bottom of the league (albeit with games in hand) and playing terrible football.

I hope he does well, but I don't think he will be the success that many on here think he will be.

That Sheff U game will go down as prob one of the worst performances that i have ever witnessed- clueless.
    I'm not being nasty, but i'm gonna have a monkey on them to go down.
    Think you're being kind to the Northwich Victoria performance there!
    Went to both, both were shocking. The Sheffield Utd one hurt more (IMO) because of the oportunity of Wembley
    The northwich one hurt more for me, a once - prem team losing to non leaguers for the first time in the clubs history. Contrast that with two seasons later, we draw Halifax with ITV actually showing the game live, clearly billing it as a cup shock, and we smashed them 4-0 away with a solid team display (Hughes tracking back half the pitch to take a certain goal off the boot of their striker as he broke through in the first minute). Basically, Charlton failed to live up to their billing, but by now their stock had slumped to cup shock chumps. Powell built a team with self esteem - it was missing in northwich
  • Options

Croydon said:

Will be interested to see how this pans out. Can blame Roland for his sacking until you turn blue in the face but we were bottom of the league (albeit with games in hand) and playing terrible football.

I hope he does well, but I don't think he will be the success that many on here think he will be.

That Sheff U game will go down as prob one of the worst performances that i have ever witnessed- clueless.
    That's a lot of money, . Do make sure you tell us how you get on.

Why don't you instead just commit a smaller amount to the Charlton Upbeats if they stay up, similarly to what @dickplumb suggested he and I did over the Delort argument (and which we subsequently paid)?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Nug said:

DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Some fans can go far too extreme over Powell, some love him to bits and regard Huddersfield as their second team now and the other fans despise Powell and would laugh if he fails. I was gutted to see Powell sacked but football is a business at the end of the day and we had to back the new owners, the football under Riga was probably better than Powells football in the end so I accept sacking Powell was probably the right decision. I still think he was very hard done by, given the previous owners made it difficult for him in the end.

I hope he does well for himself as he gave a good service to the club as a player as well as a manager and I will certainly look out for the Huddesfield results from now on just out if curiosity.

I dont think any fans 'despise' Powell - how could they? - but there are fans that recognise that (some of) the football served during his tenure was poor to say the least - even the 101 points year from Jan to be honest (cue pelters) was tedious most of the time.
    You will be surprised after some of the comments I read all over the forums and Facebook groups, think some just like to be proved right hence the hatred.
    Top guy.
    Being a good guy doesnt make him a good manager though . Was a bit disappointed with the odds tbh, and not good value enough at moment.
    Yes, bookies are disappointingly rational. They are not very helpful to fans who bet on something they wish to happen, rather than what they honestly are convinced will happen.

So why not £50 to the Upbeats if they stay up?

I'll match you. I'll pay £50 if they go down if you publicly commit on here.
  • Options

Croydon said:

Why don't you instead just commit a smaller amount to the Charlton Upbeats if they stay up, similarly to what @dickplumb suggested he and I did over the Delort argument (and which we subsequently paid)?
    Agreed.
    I'll re-read the Delort thread to see what was donated, and i'll send a equiv amount (and the equiv amount if relegated) ,so, win-win ?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

great post, the man is a true gent, an honourable man, and a real proper Charlton man, this is something that should be just left as that, I watched him celebrate a goal at shithurst when he was commentating I cant recall if it was dennis or toderov (not even sure myself if he scored there I think he did) and he celebrated in a glass box like he was in that crowd

He certainly did. It was the Dennis game.
  • Options

Nug said:

DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Top guy.
    Yes, bookies are disappointingly rational. They are not very helpful to fans who bet on something they wish to happen, rather than what they honestly are convinced will happen.

So why not £50 to the Upbeats if they stay up?

I'll match you. I'll pay £50 if they go down if you publicly commit on here.
    It wasnt a 'wish' for them to go down - just my head overruling my heart for once, and one that the bookies obviously agree with unfortunately.
  • Options
    Good luck to him I hope he gets them promoted just after us ....

Has anyone noticed another ex-Charlton player maybe given a job

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29055357
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loco said:

Good luck to him I hope he gets them promoted just after us ....

Has anyone noticed another ex-Charlton player maybe given a job

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29055357

He looks thinner now than he did when playing!
  • Options
    I actually think he will keep them up.
  • Options
    He'll deffo keep them up
  • Options

Croydon said:

Agreed.
    I'll re-read the Delort thread to see what was donated, and i'll send a equiv amount (and the equiv amount if relegated) ,so, win-win ?
    Agreed then. You tell me the amount you are comfortable with and I will match it. (in reverse of course)

• Options

As a manager, I don't like Powell. I don't hate him or dislike him, but I don't like him either. I thought the football under him, even in the league one winning season was atrocious. I also think he was massively overrated - look at the difference in results between Powell and Riga, and Riga's squad was weaker than what Powell had.

However, as a man, he is a top bloke.

As a player he is a legend and I do wish him luck. However I can't see past hudds going down.

Yep about right this.

• Options

As a manager, I don't like Powell. I don't hate him or dislike him, but I don't like him either. I thought the football under him, even in the league one winning season was atrocious. I also think he was massively overrated - look at the difference in results between Powell and Riga, and Riga's squad was weaker than what Powell had.

As a player he is a legend and I do wish him luck. However I can't see past hudds going down.

Yep 2
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Good grief - Heresy !

Have you been lynched yet ?
  • Options
    To those of you who don't like Powell as a manager or have written him off, I'm glad, as one of our "old boys", we gave him a chance in football management. It was his first job as a manager and he made mistakes. I expect him to have learnt from those mistakes as he always struck me as a thoughtful and intelligent man. I think he will go on to be a very good manager and the next stage in his development starts now. As I said earlier, I wish him well.
  • Options
    love the bloke and wish him well, but I think they'll struggle