Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell to be Huddersfield new boss

Comments

• The bookies recalibrate their odds after every round of matches. Sure they get it wrong sometimes but they get it right more often than not else they'd go out of business! They're a lot more accurate than pundits who seam to limit themselves to what they saw last season or whenever. So take a look at odds for CAFC and Huddersfield now and then another look end of September if you want an independent view of both clubs and their management.
  • A lot of digs at Powell's tactics and I do agree we were more attractive under Riga and Bob (so far). But his record speaks for itself, if we had Powell and got promoted with his supposedly poor tactics would you be bothered?
  • Has @LeedsbasedTownfan‌ been on to give his opinion yet?
  • A lot of digs at Powell's tactics and I do agree we were more attractive under Riga and Bob (so far). But his record speaks for itself, if we had Powell and got promoted with his supposedly poor tactics would you be bothered?

Well no but we didnt, we finished 9th one season and bottom the other half.

We got 101 points in L1 because we had the best team and tbh i dont think CP's tactical knowledge was required anywhere near as much as it would now. Thats not a criticism btw.
  • 101 points and a GD of +46 will do for me.
  • I'm extremely pleased for Chris - a wonderful humanoid - and also for Alex Dyer that they've got back in at Championship level. Huddersfield Town is a good football club, although they have got through a fair few managers in recent years and the sacking of Grayson struck me as particularly harsh. I think they may be in for a tough season, although I guess a lot may depend upon Vaughan's fitness and whether Coady, Butterfield and Majewski can make up for the loss of Clayton (in particular) and Norwood in midfield. Mind you, they apparently gave us a very tough game up there and if Hudson can tighten them up at the back, they'll hopefully be ok. There is certainly no shortage of basket cases in the division, with Blackpool, Leeds and Fulham making the early running.

Chris Powell's judgment of players is very good (not that he had much chance to exercise it after we won League 1) and we all know that he can organise a team and get them to pull together. I think he'll also get the supporters on side, given his alluring mix of charisma and genuine humility, although ultimately, of course, it's a results business. If I had any criticism of him as a manager, it is that he was sometimes over-cautious and lacked a bit of tactical nous, although we have to remind ourselves that, after just over three years with us, he was still learning his trade as a manager. Despite that, he was, prior to his departure last March, the longest serving manager in the division - absolutely bonkers ! The days of the long serving manager (with a few notable exceptions) appear to be a thing of the past.

I'll certainly be rooting for Chris and shall look forward to his return to the Valley at the end of February.
  • Sponsored links:

• 101 points and a GD of +46 will do for me.

This line if always used, and tbh , obviously there isnt much you can say against that, but from Jan onwards that season our football was turgid to say the least - before Jan it was quite good. Dunno why, maybe someone on here can suggest a reason, but personally i think we changed our tactics when Kermy came on board - and we seemed to go very long ball - shame really, coz the guy was brilliant on the floor too. Maybe that was called 'playing to our strengths' but it certainly wasnt very pretty to watch, and we often used to scrape home after being outplayed for most of the match - maybe the sign of a good side?
  • Oakster said:

From what I can see the majority of fans were pro-Powell (as we saw from the polls run on here), just a few loud & persistent voices that took the opposite view. His legacy & achievements should not be diminished in any way because of the views of a vocal minority.

The vast majority of fans were extremely pro, there were a few like me who were pro, but critical at times and there were others like Reams for whom he could do no good, but certainly they were the minority. I cannot see his legacy being diminished in anyway, he will always be held up as a legend and even the manner of his departure added to his hero status rather than diminisded it.
  • Can the people that labelled CP's football in L1 'atrocious' please tell me the last L1 game they watched that was anything more than average.

Its not even the fact we got 101 points, its the fact he done exactly what was required at that level. Was it attractive? No. Was it possession and passing football? No. But then i cant recall ever watching a L1 game or team and think 'f**k me, they knock the ball about well, id like to watch them week in week out!'...The whole L1 experience was based around getting out that league as quickly as possible and by any means possible.

His football in the Champ didn't improve and thats my biggest criticism. However, he wasn't given any support by either board and the luck ran out.

I think this appointment will be a true reflection of his managerial capabilities as he doesn't really have any excuses, advantage or biased opinions.

Saying his football was atrocious in league one is response to people who say 'it can't have been that bad we won league one'. I didn't say his football was ineffective, but it was poor to watch.

It's not his ability as a mgr being questioned that makes people look stupid, his record is there to be discussed, as I said the time was right to go

But anyone who wishes him to fail or even thinks he will relegate a team and seemingly can't wait for it to happen are those that need to have a good look at themselves

Chris Powell the man epitomised everything good about cafc and if you can't see that you ain't proper charlton you can think you are but you ain't

Not sure that's fair at all. I think he'll take them down. I'm not going out my way to want him to fail, I just think he will. If that makes me not proper charlton then I'm not proper charlton, but I think it's pretty clear that I'm 100% charlton

Can the people that labelled CP's football in L1 'atrocious' please tell me the last L1 game they watched that was anything more than average.

Its not even the fact we got 101 points, its the fact he done exactly what was required at that level. Was it attractive? No. Was it possession and passing football? No. But then i cant recall ever watching a L1 game or team and think 'f**k me, they knock the ball about well, id like to watch them week in week out!'...The whole L1 experience was based around getting out that league as quickly as possible and by any means possible.

His football in the Champ didn't improve and thats my biggest criticism. However, he wasn't given any support by either board and the luck ran out.

I think this appointment will be a true reflection of his managerial capabilities as he doesn't really have any excuses, advantage or biased opinions.

The only people on here I have seen complaining about his league one managerial style are naive young lads who have been brainwashed by the anti Powell commentary on another site. They are easily manipulated but will soon grow out of it.

I have only seen one bloke wishing Powell to fail and that is probably only so that he can finally claim to have got a prediction right, when you are wrong every single time the disciples start to lose faith and you get desperate!
    Hahaha do me a favour. I'm perfectly capable of making my own opinions thanks
  • The thing people often forget is that a club like CAFC is run on a budget and players are signed on three year deals - owners and managers / coaches simply don't know whether those players as a group will be better or worse in two or three years time.
    Fans call for upgrades and reinforcements without thinking that the club is already losing millions so the answer is to either break even or get into the Premier league.
    Now last summer a large percentage of fans felt just add a few more players etc. And CAFC can crack it when the thing that can really happen is to reduce relegation chances or improve play off chances.
    What's this got to do with Powell?
    Well he was the longest serving manager in the Championship and he nearly got to the finish line with that squad. He managed that squad and it was only the lack of wins in the last six months that forced a decision.
    Powell didn't lack volume of players but there was a lack of quality in the front six. And we saw the midfield chop and change a fair bit.
    This season's squad is such a massive improvement that fans are starting to question the received wisdom of "just one more player" or "why don't we make an exception and pay x to a 32-34 year old striker.
    Powell has moved on, the club has moved on and, judging from this thread the fans have moved on...Perhaps the supporters Trust might ask fans what they think now about things...releasing stats on 1,000 fans' opinions might bring some closure so we can all focus on the future rather than blame and regret in the past.
    Just my own experience but I've found that those who have objected most vociferously to Trust surveys in the past have tended to be the gobby ones who have a lot to say about this and that. Personally I prefer to drown out the gobby ones by amplifying the voice of the fans :)
  • edited September 2014

People expecting every manager to be Pepe Guardiola do my head in. They think it's as simple as clicking on the "play shorter passes" option on touchline instructions. Go out and get some coaching qualifications, then i might take your opinions on tactics seriously. Forgive me if i defer to those who are actually paid to do it in the game.

Exactly. Those players were in League One for reason. If they could play remotely like Xavi or Iniesta then they wouldn't have been playing for Charlton. That said, I thought we played some nice football for the majority of our title-winning season.
  • You aint the one Jr seemingly revelling in Chris going to fail almost wanting it to happen to be proven right

There's posters on here who instead of just feeling vindicated they were right in the timing of his exit based on our results alone

Wanting to further prove themselves to be correct by waiting for him to fail and hudds

It's the same as everytime an ex player scores someone.e who thought that should never have left posting look it's another 1 even if it is two leagues below where we are

Powell was different he was an actual cafc fan and man and as such doesn't warrant such disrespect

• Sponsored links:

• I find I don't actually care that much how CP gets on with Huddersfield. I'd like him to do well and establish himself, but if he does, good for him but it won't affect us. If he struggles and the team belly-flops then so be it, a shame but again, doesn't affect us.

I appreciate all he did for us but we have a new team and new manager and a new beginning. The rest is just talk.
  • just seen a poster on another forum "his and many others lowest point" being an addick when we were beaten sheff utd away. Getting knocked out of a quarter final is your lowest point... Right...

Fruitcakes some of our "support". Some people are born to be miserable their entire lives.

Unfortunatly only the negative games/results are the ones that stick out in some peoples minds.

Sad really.
  • just seen a poster on another forum "his and many others lowest point" being an addick when we were beaten sheff utd away. Getting knocked out of a quarter final is your lowest point... Right...

Fruitcakes some of our "support". Some people are born to be miserable their entire lives.

Do you even post on there? You quick to come over here and dig it out but don't seen to post?

That quarter final loss is gut wrenching. It was there for the taking and we didn't take it. I fully understand that opinion. I've not felt that gutted watching charlton since Defoe and berbatov scored and sent us down from the prem
  • You aint the one Jr seemingly revelling in Chris going to fail almost wanting it to happen to be proven right

There's posters on here who instead of just feeling vindicated they were right in the timing of his exit based on our results alone

Wanting to further prove themselves to be correct by waiting for him to fail and hudds

It's the same as everytime an ex player scores someone.e who thought that should never have left posting look it's another 1 even if it is two leagues below where we are

Powell was different he was an actual cafc fan and man and as such doesn't warrant such disrespect

Fair enough pal, thought you was talking to me.

All fair points that you've made

• Powell was different he was an actual cafc fan and man and as such doesn't warrant such disrespect

He's officially a Spurs fan isn't he?
  • People expecting every manager to be Pepe Guardiola do my head in. They think it's as simple as clicking on the "play shorter passes" option on touchline instructions. Go out and get some coaching qualifications, then i might take your opinions on tactics seriously. Forgive me if i defer to those who are actually paid to do it in the game.

Exactly. Those players were in League One for reason. If they could play remotely like Xavi or Iniesta then they wouldn't have been playing for Charlton. That said, I thought we played some nice football for the majority of our title-winning season.
    The point being that the teams we were playing were also from L1 !! And they were outplaying us - so, either the other teams had Xavi or Iniesta or we werent playing very good football . Which was it ??