Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell to be Huddersfield new boss

Comments

• Options

People expecting every manager to be Pepe Guardiola do my head in. They think it's as simple as clicking on the "play shorter passes" option on touchline instructions. Go out and get some coaching qualifications, then i might take your opinions on tactics seriously. Forgive me if i defer to those who are actually paid to do it in the game.

Exactly. Those players were in League One for reason. If they could play remotely like Xavi or Iniesta then they wouldn't have been playing for Charlton. That said, I thought we played some nice football for the majority of our title-winning season.
    The point being that the teams we were playing were also from L1 !! And they were outplaying us - so, either the other teams had Xavi or Iniesta or we werent playing very good football . Which was it ??
    we got 101 points but got constantly outplayed

However you want to use your cartoons, from January, yes !! - And i'm not the only one to say that - just check out plenty of the other comments on this thread !!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Sheffield United was the lowest point under CP but every week was the lowest point for Charlton under nice guy nice vneck parky
  • Options

People expecting every manager to be Pepe Guardiola do my head in. They think it's as simple as clicking on the "play shorter passes" option on touchline instructions. Go out and get some coaching qualifications, then i might take your opinions on tactics seriously. Forgive me if i defer to those who are actually paid to do it in the game.

Exactly. Those players were in League One for reason. If they could play remotely like Xavi or Iniesta then they wouldn't have been playing for Charlton. That said, I thought we played some nice football for the majority of our title-winning season.
    The point being that the teams we were playing were also from L1 !! And they were outplaying us - so, either the other teams had Xavi or Iniesta or we werent playing very good football . Which was it ??
    I have no idea what you do for a living, but imagine that it's Wednesday and your boss comes to you and says, "sorry it's not working, Friday is your last day here. But tomorrow we have this really big project which is vital to the company, so you will see it through, give it your best and stay until midnight if necessary, won't you?"

I wonder how well you would actually perform on the Thursday....

and forgive me for nagging, but is our bet valid?

• Options
    Prague,

1) sorry, but....Whoosh ( i've obviously missed the point - but just giving my opinion ! )
    2) Bet - absolutely ! i always pay my debts (eventually!), but in this case, as i have said that it was a win,win , relegated or stay up ,so i'm quite happy to donate 50 quid NOW to the Upbeats - how do i do it ?
  • Options
    https://www.justgiving.com/charltonupbeats/

But that's not fair...I won't be able to come back and gloat in May :-)
  • Options

https://www.justgiving.com/charltonupbeats/

But that's not fair...I won't be able to come back and gloat in May :-)

Done.
    I'm sure it wont stop you gloating in May.
  • Options

I have no idea what you do for a living, but imagine that it's Wednesday and your boss comes to you and says, "sorry it's not working, Friday is your last day here. But tomorrow we have this really big project which is vital to the company, so you will see it through, give it your best and stay until midnight if necessary, won't you?"

I wonder how well you would actually perform on the Thursday....

and forgive me for nagging, but is our bet valid?

Not wishing to infer something incorrectly from this statement of yours @PragueAddick‌ so can you please spell out what you are saying exactly and what is your source.
    Many thanks
    SR
  • Options
    Wasn't Sheff Utd also the low point in Pardews reign. Maybe it is just them.
  • Options

Wasn't Sheff Utd also the low point in Pardews reign. Maybe it is just them.

2-5 and then got the bullett. One of the worst 'performances' I have seen from a Charlton side.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Sheffield United was the lowest point under CP but every week was the lowest point for Charlton under nice guy nice vneck parky

That cup game at Sheff United; we just went to pieces that day. Not so much before sheffield got got their first but after and certainly after the second. I just think we tried to rush it round a wee bit too much and got more and more frustrated and the more frustrated we got the more mistakes we made. Had we got through god knows how they would have fitted in that Brighton game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now Powells moved on, cant we?
    Please
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    The L1 winning season was a strange one football wise, we started off playing a lot to feet through Hayes and lots of midfield runners and even when Kermorgant came in we still played good football at first - but there is no doubt that around Jan/Feb Powell decided to change tack and we started playing a lot more direct.

By the time big Leon Cort came into the team and we had Kermy up front we had aerial dominance at both ends so were quite happy to both play direct and defend against teams doing the same to us, it was a very clear strategy which was executed to perfection, we were extraordinarily hard to beat because we gave away so few goals (except that mad half against Notts County).
  • Options

The old flat cap will go down well In Yorkshire

Just hope Chris negotiated the " don't have to live in the town of the team I manage" clause in his contract.

• Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Parky was a decent manager but was never given the chance to build even a good league one side, Powell was given the chance to build a League One side but then wasn't given the chance to improve upon it in the Championship. It was the reigns of Dowie and even more so Pardew that were the real low points in our history.
    Agree about Parky. Plus PP has gone on to prove he is a good manager with Bradford with the odd miracle chucked in.
  • Options
    Parky had a decent side to begin with and still served up some of the Shittest football I've seen in the professional game.
  • Options
    The Yorkshire folk will not be as supportive as the majority of the Charlton fans were. The Powell and dyer combination wasnt the best for us and personally I think dyer is the problem. Powell is a good front man but I believe he should have employed another coach rather than give his best mate another chance. As bob peeters said about delort. I don't wish him luck he is the opposition. Having said that he will get a rousing reception when he comes back to Charlton in February if he's still there. Surely his first priority will be to keep the terriers in the division but that's not going to be pretty to watch. But hey he may adopt another style of play after all he has just upgraded his coaching badges.
    It'll be nice to see you Chris. Flat cap and all. Thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    Why was Dyer the problem?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Because assistant coaches/managers are ALWAYS the problem... just ask Mervin Day. If things are going wrong but the manager is popular, blame the assistant. 'Tis the Charlton way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Scoham said:

Because assistant coaches/managers are ALWAYS the problem... just ask Mervin Day. If things are going wrong but the manager is popular, blame the assistant. 'Tis the Charlton way.
    But Day wasn't assistant manager, he was 1st team coach.

Keith Peacock was assistant manager.
  • Options
    Good luck Chris...great to see you back as manager - every success ahead with the Hudds! (apart from our fixtures!)
  • Options
    I'd also love to know from the experts on here why the ass man was the problem?
  • Options
    Everyone who is moaning about Powells football (I did), OK it wasn't pretty, it got us out of league 1, with the best squad, however he wasn't good enough for us in the Champ (for a raft of reasons). I wish Chris all the best, I hope he proves me and others wrong and goes on to have a very successful career as a manager in the top flight, who knows he may become good enough to manage England. He is 'the' Charlton old boy, and we should all support the real Charlton old boys.

Incidentally, if you young pups think the football was bad in L1, you should have seen it in the seventies and some of the early '80's! That was a laugh! The only thing worth watching was the terrace rows!
  • Options

thenewbie said:

Scoham said:

But Day wasn't assistant manager, he was 1st team coach.

Keith Peacock was assistant manager.
    Oooops. Point still stands though... there is always someone on the coaching staff who somehow manages to undermine the manager with their mere presence and contrives to make the team shit when the manager has nothing to do with it. Even when we got promoted from L1, dry spells/loss of form was always laid on poor old Dyer for no reason I can see!
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

The Yorkshire folk will not be as supportive as the majority of the Charlton fans were. The Powell and dyer combination wasnt the best for us and personally I think dyer is the problem. Powell is a good front man but I believe he should have employed another coach rather than give his best mate another chance. As bob peeters said about delort. I don't wish him luck he is the opposition. Having said that he will get a rousing reception when he comes back to Charlton in February if he's still there. Surely his first priority will be to keep the terriers in the division but that's not going to be pretty to watch. But hey he may adopt another style of play after all he has just upgraded his coaching badges.
    It'll be nice to see you Chris. Flat cap and all. Thanks for the memories.

Why do you think that Dyer was a problem? Is this based on watching games whilst Powell was in charge or from first hand experience of watching Dyer give a coaching session?
  • Options

Greenie said:

Everyone who is moaning about Powells football (I did), OK it wasn't pretty, it got us out of league 1, with the best squad, however he wasn't good enough for us in the Champ (for a raft of reasons).

so when we finished 9th with an eight game finish of 3 draws and 5 wins including our record away win of 0-6 and allegedly the 4th smallest budget in the Championship he just wasn't good enough .......
    righto
    No he wasn't good enough, we were on our way back to league 1 when he was sacked....dont you remember that.....righto!
  • Options
    i know we were struggling badly for a raft of reasons but i wasn't certain we were gonna go down with those players and we didn't funnily enough !
  • Options

i know we were struggling badly for a raft of reasons but i wasn't certain we were gonna go down with those players and we didn't funnily enough !

So, the only constant that changed then was.....the manager.....and we stayed up......funny that!

Like I said earlier I wish Chris Powell all the best.