Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Raheem Sterling

Whether it is true or not, to claim someone is too tired to play for their country after only a handful of games this season shows just how much some modern footballers value pulling on the national shirt. Was this Rodgers's influence or just general apathy from the player?

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:

Don't see what he has done wrong personally. He has been honest with the manager, who has then gone and blabbed it to the public and thrown him under the bus. Horrendous way to deal with a teenager still developing.

All this fucking nonsense going round social media about how much they get paid, and how much postmen or nurses get paid in comparison. No relevance whatsoever. Sportspeople's bodies tire, regardless of how much money they earn.

If anything it was a very professional move from Sterling as he knew he wouldn't be doing good by the team by being dishonest. Well done to him I say.

At this stage of the season would Sterling tell Liverpool he was too tired to play 2 games for them in a week? Not bloody likely and i'll take a guess at Brendan Rodgers reaction if he did.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2014
    Didn't he get rested in a Liverpool game (Villa?) and also played 120 minutes against Boro?

Maybe he's not very fit, or maybe he doesn't want to burn out like Owen did etc and is looking after his career.
  • Options
    he's 19 years old... you can't play some 19 year olds 2-3 games a week, they could still be growing etc.
  • Options
    If a player is coming out saying that they're tired then fair enough... If thats the case we've got to believe them

There is far too much micro-analysis done in this country now.. things get said but straight away the player instantly is saying something because they're covering up a hidden agenda, i.e. they're tired so it instantly means that they're lazy / don't want to play for their country / care for their club more etc...

It seems to me that people love to slag England off so much now that it seems as though they're almost scared to retract their comments because they know they'll get proven wrong...

Everton / Liverpool fans need to stop caring that Wayne Rooney plays for Manchester United
    Tottenham fans need to stop caring Jack Wilshere plays for Arsenal

At the end of the day these guys are pulling on an England shirt knowing that one slight mistake / error means they'll come under a torrent of abuse from the fans / pundits and journalists... I still agree with Rooney's comments "Nice to see your own fans boo you" after the Algeria game... Maybe some of those people who boo could take a step back and think how it would feel if they were in the players shoes after that match

(Please don't come back with "They earn £150k p/w so should be able to handle it" as am sorry but its the lamest comment to make and just smacks of jealousy)

At the end of the day why cant England fans around the country clap and cheer the likes of Rooney / Wilshere when they go to Stamford Bridge, St. James' Park etc... (like when Iniesta won Spain the World Cup when he was even cheered by Real Madrid) never know when they pull on an England shirt they might try and put in some more effort, after all the booing and criticism has been going on for years now, hasn't made a single difference so why not try the positive tact.
  • Options
    Agree with Tom.

For a young athlete he has had an intense year of football. Yes he is paid alot but if you can feel your body on the way to an injury, then 30k a week isn't going to stop it, a rest will.

He knows his limits and it gave someone else a chance in the England teamto show what they can do. England won and they didn't need Sterling.

• Options
    To me it sounds like Brendan Rodgers has been in his ear.
  • Options

Just asked my boss if I can sit out tomorrow as I'm too tired after a weekend of heavy boozing.

He told me to f*** off.

that's completely not what sterling has done though. If you asked your boss if you could take a couple of days off because you've been working non stop for about a year in a new, highly intensive environment he'll say "have a good break and come back refreshed".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Agree with Tom.

For a young athlete he has had an intense year of football. Yes he is paid alot but if you can feel your body on the way to an injury, then 30k a week isn't going to stop it, a rest will.

He knows his limits and it gave someone else a chance in the England teamto show what they can do. England won and they didn't need Sterling.

quite. Michael Owen was a victim of this, you could even point to wayne rooney has played too much football and is passed his physical peak because of it.

Love seeing all the armchair sports scientists saying he should be playing.
  • Options

Just asked my boss if I can sit out tomorrow as I'm too tired after a weekend of heavy boozing.

He told me to f*** off.

If your tired though you can always ask for Annual Leave... Something Footballers cant do it seems because they earn too much money

When you take their month off at the end of the season they probably take less leave than a Teacher
  • Options
    Many people I've heard moaning about this also seem to have forgotten that Sterling still traveled to Estonia with the team and came on and played a part in the goal.

Players get put on the bench to get a bit of rest all of the time. Its just that Roy has made it sound a lot worse than it is, when he should have just said nothing at all.
  • Options

He told me to f*** off.

that's completely not what sterling has done though. If you asked your boss if you could take a couple of days off because you've been working non stop for about a year in a new, highly intensive environment he'll say "have a good break and come back refreshed".
    I do realise that Kent, It was tongue in cheek.
  • Options

He told me to f*** off.

If your tired though you can always ask for Annual Leave... Something Footballers cant do it seems because they earn too much money

When you take their month off at the end of the season they probably take less leave than a Teacher
    I did ask for annual leave.

I got the same response.
  • Options

He told me to f*** off.

Now you've done it. You'll have all the teachers on here soon starting a new argument debate.
  • Options
    I think the thing that has pissed me off most about the whole situation is seeing the bin dippers on Twitter saying 'club before country' which I can never understand, not only as a supporter but that they honestly think a footballer playing for Liverpool should think that.

I get that people have become tired of the national teams failings but playing competetive football for your country should be no 1 priority and I hope that Sterling sees it like that as well.
  • Options

Fiiiiiish said:

Agree with Tom.

quite. Michael Owen was a victim of this, you could even point to wayne rooney has played too much football and is passed his physical peak because of it.

Even Messi. He's played a ridiculous amount of games over the last few years and I think his game has suffered because of it over the past twelve months.
  • Options

Fiiiiiish said:

Agree with Tom.

Even Messi. He's played a ridiculous amount of games over the last few years and I think his game has suffered because of it over the past twelve months.
    41 goals in all competitions last season, and thats also with being injured for a bit... this season 7 goals in 9 games...
  • Options
    Two sides to this.

If he outright refused to start the game, which I doubt, then its a problem.

If he just said he is not in approprite condition to play 45min + and Roy listened to him, then this all all a lot of over blown crap that should not get any notice.

Having said that, scott parker....would play through a tornado.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He needs to sort his running action out. He runs like nemo swims. Must be this that's wearing him out. Must be tiring picking up 35 k a week and a proposed 90 k a week deal apparently sitting on the table. Grow some and get on with it young man.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

markmc68 said:

He needs to sort his running action out. He runs like nemo swims. Must be this that's wearing him out. Must be tiring picking up 35 k a week and a proposed 90 k a week deal apparently sitting on the table. Grow some and get on with it young man.

And its this sort of British 'stiff upper lip', 'grow some' mentality which has contributed to our team under performing for god knows how many years.

I challenge you to explain WHY there is a relevant connection between someone being tired, and the size of their bank balance. Go on....
    You're right, that's why we haven't won a world cup recently.
  • Options
    I think the media and fans have overreacted, even if it was a little bit of Brendon Rodgers whispering in his ear, do we really want to destroy a 19 year olds desire to represent his country, who has the potential to be a fantastic player for us for the next 5 tournaments, by having a witch hunt over him not starting away to Estonia?

People need to relax.
  • Options

He told me to f*** off.

To be realistic, 180 minutes a week plus some training is hardly "working non stop", is it? Nothing to do with wages but whether at 19 you can manage to play two games of footy flat out in a week. Don't really see why he couldn't myself.
  • Options
    He chose to play for england so I do wonder if he has the same commitment as the english england players?
  • Options
    I think Hodgson has done this for a couple of reasons.

1 - the media outlets were saying he had dropped Sterling. One channel had the clip of them talking on the training field and were saying, this is the moment Hodgson called Sterling asisde to tell him he was not playing and how he looked disappointed etc etc.

2 - the grief that Rodgers gave him over Sturridge, and probably his suspicion that Rodgers had had a word in Sterlings ear like, so wanted to put it out there that the player himself had said he was tired, so agreed not to play him. Comes across as listening to the players needs and not being unsympathetic to their clubs.

I dont know why Hodgson is getting grief. Maybe better if Sterling had said he had a tight groin and might only be good for 25 mins or so.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I think Hodgson has done this for a couple of reasons.

1 - the media outlets were saying he had dropped Sterling. One channel had the clip of them talking on the training field and were saying, this is the moment Hodgson called Sterling asisde to tell him he was not playing and how he looked disappointed etc etc.

2 - the grief that Rodgers gave him over Sturridge, and probably his suspicion that Rodgers had had a word in Sterlings ear like, so wanted to put it out there that the player himself had said he was tired, so agreed not to play him. Comes across as listening to the players needs and not being unsympathetic to their clubs.

I dont know why Hodgson is getting grief. Maybe better if Sterling had said he had a tight groin and might only be good for 25 mins or so.

I make you right, Hodgson hasn't actually thrown him under the bus or anything, simply explained his decision and why he made it. Sadly for Roy, he's got Harry Redknapp's mates in the media out for him regardless and they will happily jump on the flimsiest argument to bash him.
  • Options
    Great debate about it on TalkSport now