Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Raheem Sterling

Comments

• Footballer's salaries are (mostly) quite ridiculous .. but you can't blame the young man for holding out for all he can get .. also .. Rodgers is playing him at wing back, wide right, wide left, everywhere but where he is best suited .. as a 10, down the middle .. perhaps his reluctance to sign a new deal is a combination of holding out for the money plus a disagreement over what position suits him best .. lastly, he's a Londoner, perhaps a move to Chelsea or Arsenal is what he'd really like
  • Shall we set up a just giving thingy for the poor love?
  • He wants to win trophies. I don't think he will do that at Liverpool. He wants to play champions league football. Doubt he will get that at Liverpool. I don't blame him for holding out.
  • sterling is horribly overrated. A very good player and has the potential to be brilliant, but lets not pretend, like he seems to think, that he's messi and deserves to be paid that much.
  • sterling is horribly overrated. A very good player and has the potential to be brilliant, but lets not pretend, like he seems to think, that he's messi and deserves to be paid that much.

When has he said that?
  • ChiAddick said:

sterling is horribly overrated. A very good player and has the potential to be brilliant, but lets not pretend, like he seems to think, that he's messi and deserves to be paid that much.

When has he said that?
    When he turned down 100 bags a sand a week at Liverpool
  • Some Liverpool fans have been on social media moaning about his loyalty etc. Came through QPR, screwed them over when it came to signing a contract. What loyalty does he owe Liverpool? If he goes they will make an enormous profit. No lose for their owners.
  • To quote a much better writer than myself:
    "Mediawatch is a little confused by the idea that Sterling 'owes' Liverpool anything. He was signed by them from QPR at 15 because they thought he was good, and played him because he turned out to be good. He was born in Jamaica, raised in London and supported Manchester United as a child. The reality is that he 'owes' Liverpool nothing.

As for Sterling signing for 'a manager who knows you well and is nurturing your talent', Mediawatch would suggest that not starting him in the Bernabeu and occasionally playing him at wing-back may have given Sterling a slightly different opinion on that front."

http://www.football365.com/mediawatch/9785258/Mediawatch

If he wants to win trophies there are teams who can match those wages and have a much better chance of actual success than Liverpool of the modern era. The sums are ridiculous but that's because the wages in top league football are ridiculous. It's symptomatic, not causal. If I was him I would be looking at other options too.

• He hasn't turned down the contract for money reasons. Its the timing.
  • To be fair, he has said every step of the way that the money isn't the issue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like a "come and get me" if you ask me. 100k a week ffs. Football is seriously screwed.
  • Why is he a tool?

I was very fortunate to represent England in my sport for a few months short of ten years. This included 7 senior (over21) European championships and 1 senior World championship where I was lucky enough to captain us. During this entire period I worked a full time job, trained in the mornings and the evenings never receiving a penny in funding or in financial reward. I was often exhausted, regularly training with injuries but would never of dreamed of missing an opportunity to represent my country. On one occasion I was told that I (and other senior squad members) were being rested as the coaches wanted to take a young inexperienced squad out to Budapest for an international championship. So desperate to be involved, I paid out of my own pocket for travel and the accommodation just to be with involved with the squad. Consequently, hearing that someone is too tired for the honour of representing our country makes me want to puke.

Hearing that the poor boys toe is too sore to play for his country in Turin but will be ok for his club game 4 days later really irks me. The club that he is currently refusing to commit his future too despite them giving him the opportunities and chances that are making him a name in World football. A club that is massive in world football and a club 99% of players would kill to be so involved with. It's not a money issue with me, that's just football and everyone in every walk of life wants to get the best deal available to them. However, he's not Christian Ronaldo. He's a wet kid and still years away from being the complete package and the advice he really needs to be given is shut the fuck up Raheem, get your head down, train hard, play well and the riches of a big move will come in time when you've earned it and not when you think you're big enough to demand it.

I'm obviously a dinosaur because if I was Roy, he'd not get a sniff of another England squad all the time I was in charge. Pick the players who want to put their body, heart and soul on the line for their country and not the ones who see it as an opportunity to activate a bonus in their contract.
    What sport @StewieGriffinSE7 mate?
  • Greedy but in the current market and The negative stuff in football so no great surprise
  • Whichever way you look at it, he's been very badly advised.

If it's about the money (which he denies), then turning down 100k a week at 20, is not going to win you many fans.

If it's about winning things (which is a fair enough point), then announcing it with a few games left of the current season with your club in a battle for the top 4, is also not going to win you many fans.
  • He's definitely losing the PR battle.

Not sure many other sides would pay him the £180k a week he's reportedly after either, he's a 20yr old with potential not the finished article.
  • Liverpool have offered to treble his money and he has rejected it. He now wonders why people are turning on him.
  • Don't blame him, I wouldn't want to live and work in Liverpool for all the money in the world
  • Just doesn't realise how good he has got it , he is still learning his trade , maybe it isnt him pulling the strings seems like it's his agent ,agents run the game now the player only has to turn up train and play and they both pick a nice few quid , players don't even go down the road for a pint of milk or a paper, very sad pampered footballers ,how times have changed.
  • sam3110 said:

Don't blame him, I wouldn't want to live and work in Liverpool for all the money in the world

For 100k a week I think you might be persuaded.

• Sponsored links:

• Don't think what he is doing can be called greedy unless what he is doing is just a tactic to get more money from Liverpool. Lets be honest, he'll probably get offered around the reported wage he wants by Liverpool and only a handful of clubs would offer him the huge money.

Looks like a young player who is sick of being played at wing back in a bang average team when he knows he could have a lot more.
  • sam3110 said:

Don't blame him, I wouldn't want to live and work in Liverpool for all the money in the world

For 100k a week I think you might be persuaded.

That's 100k a week, every week
  • Players don't just want money - he's going to get that whatever he does - they want success too. Sterling will be acutely aware the Stevie G is retiring without a premier league medal. Plus, Sterling will know that Brendan R prioritised qualifying for the CL over actually being in the CL. If hes benched every time they go to one of the big clubs - as he was at the Bernabeu, then there's no point him being there for the glory. Perhaps the sticking point in the negotiations is "will the manager ever try and beat a big team?"
  • brogib said:

Why is he a tool?

I was very fortunate to represent England in my sport for a few months short of ten years. This included 7 senior (over21) European championships and 1 senior World championship where I was lucky enough to captain us. During this entire period I worked a full time job, trained in the mornings and the evenings never receiving a penny in funding or in financial reward. I was often exhausted, regularly training with injuries but would never of dreamed of missing an opportunity to represent my country. On one occasion I was told that I (and other senior squad members) were being rested as the coaches wanted to take a young inexperienced squad out to Budapest for an international championship. So desperate to be involved, I paid out of my own pocket for travel and the accommodation just to be with involved with the squad. Consequently, hearing that someone is too tired for the honour of representing our country makes me want to puke.

Hearing that the poor boys toe is too sore to play for his country in Turin but will be ok for his club game 4 days later really irks me. The club that he is currently refusing to commit his future too despite them giving him the opportunities and chances that are making him a name in World football. A club that is massive in world football and a club 99% of players would kill to be so involved with. It's not a money issue with me, that's just football and everyone in every walk of life wants to get the best deal available to them. However, he's not Christian Ronaldo. He's a wet kid and still years away from being the complete package and the advice he really needs to be given is shut the fuck up Raheem, get your head down, train hard, play well and the riches of a big move will come in time when you've earned it and not when you think you're big enough to demand it.

I'm obviously a dinosaur because if I was Roy, he'd not get a sniff of another England squad all the time I was in charge. Pick the players who want to put their body, heart and soul on the line for their country and not the ones who see it as an opportunity to activate a bonus in their contract.
    What sport @StewieGriffinSE7 mate?
    Tiddlywinks. (:
  • What sport @StewieGriffinSE7 mate?
    Tiddlywinks. (:

Don't knock it, the blisters on the finger tips can really smart!!!
    I'm actually a martial artist.

• He clearly thinks he is the finished article - he isn't. And all this concentrating on things other than training and his own game will probably mean that he never will be. If the FA had any sense they would make young Premier League footballers but their earning into a pension fund that couldn't be touched until they have retired from the game - we have seen a succession of young players who never deliver on their initial promise for England or their clubs and nothing is ever done about it.

• brogib said:

ChiAddick said:

sterling is horribly overrated. A very good player and has the potential to be brilliant, but lets not pretend, like he seems to think, that he's messi and deserves to be paid that much.

When has he said that?
    When he turned down 100 bags a sand a week at Liverpool
    You are a touch odd!

But that made me chuckle
  • What sport @StewieGriffinSE7 mate?

Tiddlywinks. (:

Don't knock it, the blisters on the finger tips can really smart!!!
    I'm actually a martial artist.

nice one stewie,

I always like Wyatt Earp,
    He was so skillful the way way he drew his gun.
    my all time favourite Marshall Artist.