Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Raheem Sterling

1235»

Comments

• Barkley has the potential to be worldclass? Are you have a laugh.

There are so many better players than him at his age, he's just got potential to be a good player. This is why england expect to win the World Cup every time because we genuinely believe our own hype.

For every decent English player there are twenty better Spanish ones.
  • cabbles said:

I'm never astounded at the inflated opinion some of these players have these days. He's a good player - I'm not sure he's world class or will go on to be. Suarez, he's world class. He earned the right to seek a Barcelona. Liverpool have slipped up not qualifying for the CL, and yes he has every right to want to win trophies, but the way he's strung this out is just typical of the modern day footballer at that level. About the only one bucking the trend so far is Harry Kane. Even Bale, much better than Sterling, had 3 or 4 consistent seasons at Spurs.

I'm sure this logic will be used when Gomez moves..

As earlier in the thread I'm baffled by the criticism Sterling gets. He signed a contract, massively out plays it with an incredible season last year for his age and looked the best English talent in natural ability since Rooney, watches the best player in the league get sold and replaced with Balotelli with their second best player constantly injured. For once a player doesn't move "for the money" after turning down 100k and he wants to go out and win trophies and that's another promising player become a public enemy. If a top team wants to sign him (who wouldn't get a player of his ability and potential on a free) then clearly he is right to look for a move.

I don't understand why people compare him to a Lennon or Walcott as surely they haven't seen him play at all? His close control and technical ability is miles ahead of those guys. Hes got a lot to improve sure but if people were expecting him to having a flawless transition to half playing as a lone striker and half at wingback they were deluded.

Gomez is playing for an average championship team, Sterling playing for a fringe CL premiership team (although Liverpool look bang average themselves this season).

It's not just about him though. He seems to be part of a bigger picture of modern day young players who get smoke blown up their arse from the moment they're able to do a little step over and beat a player. Yes he's very talented but he, or his agent, or whoever have dragged this out very publicly off the back of what I believe has been a very shit season for him. He said it was about trophies and Carragher made a good point that Liverpool were in the semi final of an FA Cup and he disappeared. Against Villa as well. Hardly your Galacticos of Real Madrid.

He may come good and by that I mean world class but I def don't see it. He's going to be put in the same bracket as Walcott or Lennon because they were both very similar levels of skill at his age. I'm just not used to any players like him making the grade, SWP, Downing, Johnson, Lennon, Walcott, Welbeck. Whoever you want to compare him to. English players have been quite average on the world stage for a bloody lifetime now. I need to see us win a WC before I give any of them any oxygen about being world class
  • Breaking News..........
    Wayne Rooney's Agent has got him a meeting with Liverpool today
    Replacing Sterling who wouldn't stay for 900K a week according to his Bromley based Agent.
    Wayne who doesn't want to appear greedy, will accept 750K a week,
    to play for his favourite team as a kid.(after Everton and Tranmere)
  • Gonna be bumping this thread quite a lot in a few years when he wins the Ballon D'Or ;)
  • It would be really good if one day the likes of Liverpool called a Raheem Sterling and his agent's bluff and made him see out his contract.

They won't, of course because of the financial implications but, let's say the did, what could Sterling do? Feign injury, refuse to play or under perform? Any of those would actually hurt Sterling's ability to command the sort of money that is being offered by Liverpool let alone what he and his agent is actually seeking.

Ultimately I suspect that Sterling will sign a new contract with an escape clause in it and leave at the end of next season. Though neither the Club nor Sterling will reveal the contents of that contract.

• Are Liverpool realistically going to be winning the Champions League anytime soon? No. Is there any reason to think they're genuine PL title contenders? Not really. Are they going to be winning any trophies anytime soon? Outside of possibly the FA Cup (and that's far from sure) no they aren't. If Sterling wants to a move to a club with a better chance at actual success in the future not the past then why on earth should he NOT try it? And if that club offers a f***-ton of cash in addition, so much the better. He gets better paid AND trophies, potentially. I can't see aspirations like those as a sin, especially as he doesn't owe Liverpool any kind of debt.

They paid good money and wages because they thought he'd be good, and were a better option for him, so he went there. Another club now comes in to pay better transfer and wages because they also think he's good, and are a better option for him, except this time he's going from Liverpool not to. That's what football is.
  • At 20 he should be concentrating on becoming a better player. Questionable whether he would get in either of the only 2 teams likely to win the PL and certainly not the teams who are likely to win the Champpions League
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I'm never astounded at the inflated opinion some of these players have these days. He's a good player - I'm not sure he's world class or will go on to be. Suarez, he's world class. He earned the right to seek a Barcelona. Liverpool have slipped up not qualifying for the CL, and yes he has every right to want to win trophies, but the way he's strung this out is just typical of the modern day footballer at that level. About the only one bucking the trend so far is Harry Kane. Even Bale, much better than Sterling, had 3 or 4 consistent seasons at Spurs.

I'm sure this logic will be used when Gomez moves..

As earlier in the thread I'm baffled by the criticism Sterling gets. He signed a contract, massively out plays it with an incredible season last year for his age and looked the best English talent in natural ability since Rooney, watches the best player in the league get sold and replaced with Balotelli with their second best player constantly injured. For once a player doesn't move "for the money" after turning down 100k and he wants to go out and win trophies and that's another promising player become a public enemy. If a top team wants to sign him (who wouldn't get a player of his ability and potential on a free) then clearly he is right to look for a move.

I don't understand why people compare him to a Lennon or Walcott as surely they haven't seen him play at all? His close control and technical ability is miles ahead of those guys. Hes got a lot to improve sure but if people were expecting him to having a flawless transition to half playing as a lone striker and half at wingback they were deluded.

Gomez is playing for an average championship team, Sterling playing for a fringe CL premiership team (although Liverpool look bang average themselves this season).

It's not just about him though. He seems to be part of a bigger picture of modern day young players who get smoke blown up their arse from the moment they're able to do a little step over and beat a player. Yes he's very talented but he, or his agent, or whoever have dragged this out very publicly off the back of what I believe has been a very shit season for him. He said it was about trophies and Carragher made a good point that Liverpool were in the semi final of an FA Cup and he disappeared. Against Villa as well. Hardly your Galacticos of Real Madrid.

He may come good and by that I mean world class but I def don't see it. He's going to be put in the same bracket as Walcott or Lennon because they were both very similar levels of skill at his age. I'm just not used to any players like him making the grade, SWP, Downing, Johnson, Lennon, Walcott, Welbeck. Whoever you want to compare him to. English players have been quite average on the world stage for a bloody lifetime now. I need to see us win a WC before I give any of them any oxygen about being world class
    To be fair you have chosen a good group of players to make your point. You could have chosen Rooney, Ashley Young, Phil Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana and Gareth Bale (who I know is not English but British). Sure few of that list are truly world class but if we assume that there are only ever going to be a handful of world class players at any time (in a world population of 8 billion) it is not unexpected that very few of them would be English. I also think that Welbeck is still young and no one has ever claimed him to be world class yet he has won major honours.

If you look at the generation before I would include Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Sol Campbell, Michael Owen, Rio Ferdinand and maybe even John Terry. Five of those players have won a Champions League Medal and most of them were thought to be the best of their peers in world football for a while during their career.

I think we are less likely to produce as many world class players now that our academies are full of international players (and I don't mean they play international football). The opportunities to develop in this country are fewer than at any time in the past, but truly great players will still come through and still have a great chance of developing.

Many of the players that have failed to produce, like Boscock were over hyped from a young age and moved to a club too big for them too young. Zaha is in the same boat. Predicting greatness for a player that has only played in the second division is speculative, but to be fair to Sterling he has performed and scored goals in the Premier League and one could argue his performances this season, which have been average by comparison to last season, have been in a positively average Liverpool side.

I have no time for the player and his behaviour has been staggeringly unprofessional, but he does have a lot of talent and could well go on to have a great career, even if he is never as good as Ronaldo or Messi.

I suspect that he would start most weeks (even at this age) for all the top Premier League sides - assuming he doesn't have an attitude problem. He was the main man in this average Liverpool side that are still 5th in the Premier League with one game to go - that's hardly second division mid table.
  • edited May 2015
    Liverpool got Sterling because he would not re sign for QPR, so they are now "suffering" from the rule that they benefitted from. I have no problem with Sterling wanting to move to a better club and exploit his talents, but it is the way he and his agent have gone about it that has been wrong. If he matures as an individual he will look back and regret his behaviour and hopefully sack his agent.