Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Raheem Sterling

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Good comments from Shearer tonight:

Rodgers said Sterling is the best young player in Europe, well after a comment like that naturally his agent will say if that's what u think then make him the best paid young player in Europe
  • What sport @StewieGriffinSE7 mate?

Tiddlywinks. (:
    Don't knock it, the blisters on the finger tips can really smart!!!
    I'm actually a martial artist.

Any chance of posting some of your drawings ?

I thought he meant he painted weddings. I must be getting dyslexic.
  • Dazzler21 said:

brogib said:

ChiAddick said:

sterling is horribly overrated. A very good player and has the potential to be brilliant, but lets not pretend, like he seems to think, that he's messi and deserves to be paid that much.

When has he said that?
    When he turned down 100 bags a sand a week at Liverpool
    You are a touch odd!

But that made me chuckle
    I'll take that as a compliment
  • Apparently told Liverpool today that he wants to leave the club. Man City next season?
  • I'm never astounded at the inflated opinion some of these players have these days. He's a good player - I'm not sure he's world class or will go on to be. Suarez, he's world class. He earned the right to seek a Barcelona. Liverpool have slipped up not qualifying for the CL, and yes he has every right to want to win trophies, but the way he's strung this out is just typical of the modern day footballer at that level. About the only one bucking the trend so far is Harry Kane. Even Bale, much better than Sterling, had 3 or 4 consistent seasons at Spurs.
  • Sterling is he all that

Right now nope he ain't even that let alone all that
  • He's alright, should get better but will tail off after the age of 24, 25 if he's lucky. Deceptively strong but would you have him or David Silva for the money he is after?

Walcott will swap clubs with him I bet, Arsenal love a floaty number 10-but-not-a-goalscorer type of player and Walcott looks way too direct to play for them now
  • He's overrated and the next Walcott. He's like Forrest Gump, he'll keep running with no end result. Berahino and Barkley another couple of players who are overrated and at the end of the day if you compare all these English youth players to overseas youth players they are average at best.
  • Decent player but not world class. He owes Liverpool nothing given they nicked him off a smaller club. No doubt it will give their fans something to moan about though. Would like to see him at Arsenal who will play him and give him the best chance to improve. If he goes to Man City he will end up another Scott Sinclair or the ex Everton boy now at Sunderland. Promising as a young gun, forgotten before his mid 20's.
  • dizzee said:

He's overrated and the next Walcott. He's like Forrest Gump, he'll keep running with no end result. Berahino and Barkley another couple of players who are overrated and at the end of the day if you compare all these English youth players to overseas youth players they are average at best.

Agree with this. Overhyped after one decent season playing alongside Suarez last year.

Liverpool will be laughing if they can get between £40-50 million for him! Saying that if their board entrust the majority of that amount to Rodgers to spend then it will be money down the drain. His transfer dealings are terrible!
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be surprised if he went to Man City as they appear to play a flat 4-4-2 whilst Sterling seems to play better off the Striker in a 4-3-3 formation (take his form with Suarez last season).

In England, surely Arsenal or Chelsea would be the best choices for him
  • Think we'll see him at Chelsea as Arsenal (or Wenger) wont be keen on spending the money that would be needed to take an England international from a Prem rival.

And he'll melt into the background of their squad with Hazard, Willian and a couple of others dominating the far bigger pool of talent there.
  • Addicted said:

Think we'll see him at Chelsea as Arsenal (or Wenger) wont be keen on spending the money that would be needed to take an England international from a Prem rival.

And he'll melt into the background of their squad with Hazard, Willian and a couple of others dominating the far bigger pool of talent there.

If he ends up at Chelsea it'll be because Mourinho wants to weaken his rivals... a long list of loan spells will then happen for Sterling before maybe becoming first choice when Hazard goes to Spain
  • Nailed on for Man City, HG rules, money to spend, Arsenal/Chelsea don't need him etc
  • dizzee said:

He's overrated and the next Walcott. He's like Forrest Gump, he'll keep running with no end result. Berahino and Barkley another couple of players who are overrated and at the end of the day if you compare all these English youth players to overseas youth players they are average at best.

Berahino, 20 goals in a West Brom side, IMO far from overrated and looking forward to next world cup with him and Kane starting
  • dizzee said:

Berahino, 20 goals in a West Brom side, IMO far from overrated and looking forward to next world cup with him and Kane starting
    Berahino has scored a lot of penalties this season I think but he is someone who impresses me... It'll be interesting to see how Callum Wilson (Bournemouth) does in the Premier League next season because he's sniffing around the U21s at the moment whilst Danny Ings could also be someone to watch depending on who he joins in the summer.

We dont really have a single Star-Striker like Rooney emerging at the moment instead we've got a good number of Strikers who can play as part of a team which will surely be more beneficial to England
  • Berahino is definitely not underrated. Fantastic goal record this season and you hardly hear any noise about him compared to some other young players.

As for Barkley I wouldn't say overrated either. Has the technical ability to be world class, just hasn't got the brain to use it yet.

Sterling to City is nailed on I reckon. Reasons have been posted above. Don't like him personally and think he has come across as a spoilt child though.
  • Big_Bob said:

Nailed on for Man City, HG rules, money to spend, Arsenal/Chelsea don't need him etc

Arsenal would love to get him. He fits their all fart and no shit policy of pacy forwards who have an inflated opinion of what they can offer. Wenger would cream himself over adding another player who will fit into the Arsenal mould of 4th placers
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

I'm never astounded at the inflated opinion some of these players have these days. He's a good player - I'm not sure he's world class or will go on to be. Suarez, he's world class. He earned the right to seek a Barcelona. Liverpool have slipped up not qualifying for the CL, and yes he has every right to want to win trophies, but the way he's strung this out is just typical of the modern day footballer at that level. About the only one bucking the trend so far is Harry Kane. Even Bale, much better than Sterling, had 3 or 4 consistent seasons at Spurs.

I'm sure this logic will be used when Gomez moves..

As earlier in the thread I'm baffled by the criticism Sterling gets. He signed a contract, massively out plays it with an incredible season last year for his age and looked the best English talent in natural ability since Rooney, watches the best player in the league get sold and replaced with Balotelli with their second best player constantly injured. For once a player doesn't move "for the money" after turning down 100k and he wants to go out and win trophies and that's another promising player become a public enemy. If a top team wants to sign him (who wouldn't get a player of his ability and potential on a free) then clearly he is right to look for a move.

I don't understand why people compare him to a Lennon or Walcott as surely they haven't seen him play at all? His close control and technical ability is miles ahead of those guys. Hes got a lot to improve sure but if people were expecting him to having a flawless transition to half playing as a lone striker and half at wingback they were deluded.

• Depends if you believe that it's genuinely not about the money.
  • Career highlight so far is hitting the side netting in a World Cup group game. Liverpool should cash in.
  • Whether people think he is overrated or not, it doesn't really matter. Fact is the guy has around 100 Premier League/Champions League games combined to his name, whilst only being 20 years old.

To replace him and his potential Liverpool will have to spend massive money, with no guarantee that the replacement will be able to cut it in the Premier League at the level they operate at.
  • cafctom said:

Whether people think he is overrated or not, it doesn't really matter. Fact is the guy has around 100 Premier League/Champions League games combined to his name, whilst only being 20 years old.

To replace him and his potential Liverpool will have to spend massive money, with no guarantee that the replacement will be able to cut it in the Premier League at the level they operate at.

Well he's only got about 6 appearances in the Champions League which is less than Colin Kazim-Richards or Pierre Wome
  • Kazim-Richards is 28 and Pierre Wome is 36.

My point being that Sterling has a great deal of experience for his age and there is little risk element with him in terms of ability.
  • I'm not too sure if it genuinely is about the money, he's seen liverpool sell their best stars, reinvest in 'crap' and not qualify for champions league, wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool were 'releasing' all this negative money grabbing information to the press, acting like a jilted ex-lover.
  • If Liverpool had any sense they'd flog him for 60 million , and come in for Joe Gomez, at say 20 million.
  • too much too young .. he'll be a has been or a never was by the time he's 27