Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parker-'I love everything about that club'

Comments

• Options
    A fine player and decent person. The way he got his move to Chelsea was bad, but at least we got a very decent fee for him. The shame was that we didn't spend some of that money during the January window on a replacement
  • Options

Wow... Never thought I'd hear that from him, the moment he left us I always thought he was doing a Robert Lee / Paul Walsh who pretend their careers begin @ Newcastle and Liverpool.

Fair play to him, will still always boo him when he touches the ball but I lost my hatred for him when he became England Captain that time and won the PFA Player of the Year (As Parker states in the article, even he says it was us to started that for him)... You'd certainly never see Judas Defoe say something like that

I'm pretty sure I've read some nice comments about Charlton from Defoe ... although can't remember where or when it was.
  • Options
    Some really nice comments from Scott.

We all believe, him included I suspect, that the move turned out wrong for him. Not so much the club he went to, but the timing. Had he stayed and continued the form he was in, he would have been nailed on for England duty that summer and still have got a big move.

The other side of that could have been a career-threatening injury so I can (finally) accept that he wanted to go. Chelsea offered a shed (no pun intended) load of money and the lad had his family set for life.

There are more than enough knobs to have slated us after being here and taking our wedge. Would rather we save any vitriol for them, if we have to bother with them at all!!
  • Options
    I won't boo him but I suppose some will just for the hell of it. It was a long time ago. Still bugs me a bit, mind you, probably because he was IMO the most influential Charlton player I've seen in nearly 40 years of following.
  • Options
    I won't be booing the lad tonight. The club ultimately agreed to the deal. Him compared to Murphy are miles apart. Not many of our ex players have things like that to say about us...
  • Options
    Greenie said:

There are 10 million reasons why it was good for our club that he left.

I do find it irksome that most people forget what we received for Parker and how Curbs and Murray wasted it. That £10m could have been used better and pushed us to the next level as opposed to relying on a 22 year old who could have broken his leg in the next game he played.
  • Options
    Can understand why he went it was the timing we were flying looked nailed on for Europe he looked nailed on for England and whoever wanted him for next move. But he got timing wrong and head turned I bet he regreats it too. Didn't like the way he pushed the transfer through. Messed up at least 2years of his career because of it.
    has Poyet done the same ain't going to get a looking now West Ham have signed song.
    Will I boo Parker tonight yes if he kin scores COYR
  • Options
    Terrific player for us .. like many of 'us' he is/was ambitious and to achieve what he perceived as his golden future meant a move away from the Valley .. l look back on some of my early jobs with a degree of nostalgia .. I wish Parker all the best .. BUT .. NOT tonight
  • Options
    I like Scott Parker as a footballer and professional. He has grown to be a good man and is a good influence for the younger generation of footballers. If he chose to go into the field of coaching he would without doubt make a good one as perhaps a number 2 or something. Thats the man he is now, he has wide respect from the football community.

The way he left us was a kick in the teeth and was very dis-respectful. I thought at the time he was a cocky little f*cker and would continue in that fashion from his last few months with us...to his move to chelsea.

At the age of 22, the reality is that you are mostly thinking of yourself and can be easily influenced in the wrong direction, the temptations and voices around was probably building himself up to think he was better then what he actually was...he was the man...and should stop wasting his time at a small club like charlton, mug.

Football is a sad story in a way...the money coats everything. It stopped Parker from becoming a Charlton Legend.
    He said he loves everything about the club...its nice to see that acknowledgement..but there was only one way his career was going to go and that was not with us.

At his peak he was as good as any midefielder in the premier league.

Dont boo him..I would say dont acknowledge his presense as a fan...thats worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was my first real Charlton hero and it still hurts a bit thinking about the way he left lol
  • Options
    At the time I hated him only because to this day I feel we could have finished top 4 if he hadn't have left but we will never know now. Now if we ever got the chance to see him pull on our famous red shirt again I'd welcome him back with open arms I think he is pure class. If people remember back when he came back with Newcastle and smashed one in the top corner I clapped it and nearly got into a scrap with the bloke in the row behind me but it was one of those goals I couldn't
  • Options
    dancafc said:

At the time I hated him only because to this day I feel we could have finished top 4 if he hadn't have left but we will never know now. Now if we ever got the chance to see him pull on our famous red shirt again I'd welcome him back with open arms I think he is pure class. If people remember back when he came back with Newcastle and smashed one in the top corner I clapped it and nearly got into a scrap with the bloke in the row behind me but it was one of those goals I couldn't

You clapped it?

You know the fulham neutral stand...
  • Options
    The best way to project a good BOO is to be standing up of course and with a good level of beer laden spittle over the person in front of you.
  • Options

He was my first real Charlton hero and it still hurts a bit thinking about the way he left lol

same. He was my absolute idol when i was 10-11. I remember running around the playground and in school matches pretending i was scott parker, even adopted that upright posture he does and high knees when closing some one down. When he left I was truly gutted. I even stopped following football altogether for a couple of years.

It's literally like your first love that screwed you over, you were so naive and puppy dog in love, you couldn't see the other person was unhappy or why they would be and it still kinda hurts looking back after those years because it impacted you so much... I now need to go belch loudly, scratch my arse and lift some weights now haha.
  • Options
    He is an ex-player that did the dirty on us. It's tradition to boo him, and rightly so.
  • Options
    his Timing was all wrong but i bear him no grudges ..seems like a decent level headed lad but i hope he loses tonight
  • Options
    The worse thing about that move and how it was engineered , was the disruption at the time it caused us
    and we lost to poxy Gillingham away in the FA Cup
    and that was the year we would have got a run to the Final without playing a Prem team and we would have (maybe) beaten the scum on the way and stopped them getting to the Final and having their brief outing in Europe
    That was a more likely scenario than us finishing 4th
    Although saying that the team that lost at Gillingham was more than good enough to have beaten them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dan

Best player in a charlton shirt

Did you not see Pouso

Boo him spotty no good greedy cnut
  • Options
    My son wanted a Parker top, but when I read Parker's comments about how much he loved the club and never wanted to play for anyone else I told him no, choose another player.
  • Options
    One of the best players I've ever seen play for Charlton, but the way he spat his dummy and downed tools to get his move has unfortunately tarnished my view of him.

Yes, £10m was a lot of money but I'd rather have the player than a suitcase stuffed full of £50 notes sat on the centre spot. The loss of Parker and the waste of that £10m was the beginning of our downward spiral and I have a hard time forgiving him for it.

Having said all that, I wouldn't boo him. He's just a typical footballer after all and he goes where the money is
  • Options
    What's done is done. Still don't like the timing of his departure but he'll know the consequences himself. Wouldn't clap him during a game but before and after, sure.
  • Options

He was my absolute idol when i was 10-11. I remember running around the playground and in school matches pretending i was scott parker, even adopted that upright posture he does.

This! He totally influenced the way I played when I was 14 and aspects of his game are still in the way I play to this day. Was gutted when he left and hated him but that changed and I was delighted for him and somehow proud when he captained England. Won't be booing him tonight.
    #madeincharlton
  • Options
    I won't be booing him, dangerous for a neutral to boo for no reason!
  • Options
    Was I happy about the manner of his departure? No. Curbs said it all at the time.
    Do I blame him? No, but he was ill advised.
    Would I boo him? Never.
    Ex players are just that, ex players, move on.
    Unless you are Mr D Murphy of Mr J Dofoe, then of course you deserve every bit of the abuse you get
  • Options
    The time spent warming the bench at Chelsea probably brought him down to earth a bit.

Non - Charlton fans probably see him as something of a nearly man, which is a shame as he was a real talent.

I still think he would have secured a big move to be first choice somewhere, had he waited to the end of 03/04.

Also, the fact that a club can spend £10m on a reserve player showed how obscene the top flight was becoming
  • Options
    I'll be booing the tv vigorously, followed by a polite clap, then chanting oooh Scott Parker oooh Scott Parker.
    Just to cover all bases...
  • Options
    I won't clap or boo if i was going, my hatred for him is now a joke between me and my mates then serious, i can understand why he left but can never go with the wish him luck attitude, im a Charlton fan not a Scott Parker fan, so i don't care about how much we got for him, i cared about what damage it did to our league chances when he decided he was leaving in the middle of a what could have been an amazing season that could ended with us playing competitive football in Europe the season after.