Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parker-'I love everything about that club'

Comments

• Options
    No, why would I boo him? It's old hat.
  • Options
    Booing him is counter productive as it is more likely to make him play better against us.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

There are 10 million reasons why it was good for our club that he left.

that's not what the board of directors or CEO at the time thought, but there you go

• Options

I won't boo him but I suppose some will just for the hell of it. It was a long time ago. Still bugs me a bit, mind you, probably because he was IMO the most influential Charlton player I've seen in nearly 40 years of following.

The last year at CAFC he was our MOM nearly every game, Leaving on the last day of the window was the most shocking aspect of it.

To be fair to Murray and Curbs, they tried every think they could, including a reported 1 million loyalty bonus plus
    his wages being doubled, He went from being the best midfield player, on form in the prem, to being a Chelsea Reserve player, So many other players have followed this route, Sidwell springs to mind,

I would rather just focus on our current players tonight and just ignore him.

Hell hath no Fury like a CAFC fan scorned.
  • Options
    Would rather clap Dervite playing for Bolton than Parker or Murphy playing for Fulham.
  • Options

I wouldn't boo him, I wouldn't criticise those who did.

The timing stank, it probably didn't cost us a place in the Champions league, it probably did cost us a place in the Europa league. Others might not care about that, I do.

Four months away from being a legend at our club.

This, who knows if ever as Charlton fans we will get a chance as good as that to see our team play in Europe, i would love it, no matter how big or small the clubs we got drawn against.
  • Options
    I was devastated when he left. Logical arguments be damned I still hate the bastard
  • Options
    I would like to see someone go right through him straight from the KO.
    Then if he is still able to stand, have another go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fact that he blew us off immediately soon as Chelsea came calling when we could have had a special season generating far more then 10million in the end... It's all coming back.
    What makes it forgettable is the hardworking player and good pro he turned into...and also the fact that it's a bit sad holding on to it when it was 10 years ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    DanDavis said:
    Fantastic goal, was right down the front that day when he took the shirt off and came over to us to celebrate Ooooo Scotty Parker, Ooooo Scotty Parker! Lisbie had scored our equaliser prior to that winner going in.
  • Options
    Even though we lost this match I still have these down as my favourite goals from Parker (probably biased as I was there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZksTLDTUo4
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Hated Parker for leaving when and how he did, but that was only because we were just so bloody close to getting 'somewhere' we never would have dreamed been possible. A proper jealous ex-boyfriend hatred.

My hatred has completely dissolved over the years though. What's gone is gone.

He remains the best player i've ever seen play for Charlton.

Much more likely to get a clap from me these days than a boo.

100% this-was gutted and angry at the time but don't feel any of that any more and, if I was there tonight, I'd give him a clap-those comments only reinforce the way I feel. He was fantastic for us for over 100 games and the best Charlton player in my 30 years of following them.

As good as we were that season, I am surprised that people genuinely think we would have finished that brilliantly even if he had stayed. And talk of Champions League and top four is ridiculous-even with Parker in the team in the preceding season or two, we still fell away after Xmas and I don't think we'd have necessarily finished that higher than 7th (which is amazing in itself) if he'd hung around.

Also, to have anger and bitterness and, looking some of the posts, hatred, festering 10 years down the line is very unhealthy-I prefer to focus on the happy memories rather than the bad ones and wish him all the best for the remainder of his career bar the games against us......
  • Options
    ^ Couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Woke this morning from a dream that we were playing Millwall in a country mansion estate somewhere and Parker and Robert Lee were on the opposition. Weird.

Couldn't give a toss about his close family, I give a toss about Charlton and he'll be getting pelters from myself and many others this evening.

Oh well, at least the majority will be grown up.
  • Options

Even though we lost this match I still have these down as my favourite goals from Parker (probably biased as I was there):

See, we've always been rubbish at defending corners!
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

See, we've always been rubbish at defending corners!
    This was live on Sky if I remember correctly, oh dear not a good omen for tonight. :-(
  • Options
    Parker at his greediest...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZpuAAacgnRo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    HandG said:

Hated Parker for leaving when and how he did, but that was only because we were just so bloody close to getting 'somewhere' we never would have dreamed been possible. A proper jealous ex-boyfriend hatred.

My hatred has completely dissolved over the years though. What's gone is gone.

He remains the best player i've ever seen play for Charlton.

Much more likely to get a clap from me these days than a boo.

100% this-was gutted and angry at the time but don't feel any of that any more and, if I was there tonight, I'd give him a clap-those comments only reinforce the way I feel. He was fantastic for us for over 100 games and the best Charlton player in my 30 years of following them.

As good as we were that season, I am surprised that people genuinely think we would have finished that brilliantly even if he had stayed. And talk of Champions League and top four is ridiculous-even with Parker in the team in the preceding season or two, we still fell away after Xmas and I don't think we'd have necessarily finished that higher than 7th (which is amazing in itself) if he'd hung around.

Also, to have anger and bitterness and, looking some of the posts, hatred, festering 10 years down the line is very unhealthy-I prefer to focus on the happy memories rather than the bad ones and wish him all the best for the remainder of his career bar the games against us......
    If you think some of the people commenting on here go over the top about trivial things, don't open the thread about Miranda Hart... ;-)
  • Options

A fine player and decent person. The way he got his move to Chelsea was bad, but at least we got a very decent fee for him. The shame was that we didn't spend some of that money during the January window on a replacement

He left on the 30th.

he was asked to wait till the summer so we could replace him and he refused.

He cares about charlton the way you care about an ex, that you didnt really love and cheated on

I personally hope he falls over a McDonald's advertising board and snaps his thigh bone.
  • Options

A fine player and decent person. The way he got his move to Chelsea was bad, but at least we got a very decent fee for him. The shame was that we didn't spend some of that money during the January window on a replacement

He left on the 30th.

He cares about charlton the way you care about an ex, that you didnt really love and cheated on

I personally hope he falls over a McDonald's advertising board and snaps his thigh bone.
    Many younger supporters would not get the McDonald bit, but I do not wish any injury to him, just hope he has an off-day, he is getting on a bit for a footballer
  • Options
    Yeah no wish for him to get injured, just not going to pretend im not a Charlton fan first, so a little bitter about what could have been if he had given us four more months of his career in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options

He left on the 30th.

Amen Dave.
  • Options

If he would've waited 6 months/a year he'd have been a shoe in replacement for Roy Keane at utd, or viera at arsenal.

Another reason why Chelsea fought so hard to get him during that window, knowing they could easily miss out if they waited until the summer?

Personally, I have no ill feelings towards him now, but equally, I don't follow his career. Same with any player who leaves us for whatever reason. I have enough to worry about with the players we do have.

Suppose I'm just good at moving on..............;-)
  • Options
    Was gutted when he left. Best young player to come through the academy in my years and so, so integral to our team in the last year. I do believe we would have finished top 4, it was early days of PL and those places were not as fixed as they are nowadays. At the very least we would have been in the Europa cup. It was probably the one chance in my life to have gone on a Charlton European Tour with my Dad and Brother which would have been an excellent memory to have. Parker leaving derailed that. As said above, 4 more months he would have left a hero and had a much better career IMO.

That said, he played quite a few games for us, got £10M for us and always gave 100% which is arguably a far better return than we have had from any player since. The likes of Defoe, Poyet, Palmer etc deserve more scorn for less loyalty.

Watching him finally make it with England and win PL player of the year have (strangely) led me to forgive him as I realised I was happy and proud of a player we bought through to get those honours.

Not going tonight but if I was I would not boo but probably couldn't bring myself to clap either. I have gone from hatred to neutral in the intervening years.
  • Options
    Booooooo!!!! The prick!
  • Options
    33/1 first goal scoring prick
  • Options
    Charlton had no choice at the time other than to accept the money. Comical the amount of booing he got tonight!! Such short memories, such narrow mindedness! He was offered a job at a more esteemed 'company' that gave him more prospects and more money. Wouldn't the ones who booed him do the same? Yes, of course they bloody would!! Banal in the extreme!!