Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fulham vs Charlton - Post Match Views Oct '14

Comments

• Options
    For everyone that still thinks Lawrie Wilson is a good player but just had an off day could you please donate your £1 to the upbeats
  • Options
    Second half we had desire and urgency, the first half we barely showed up. I think Fulham are still fragile and would have folded like a pack of cards at 2-0 had we pulled one back. Nevermind, keep reminding myself where we were this time last season
  • Options
    No doubt there are things to be happy with, the fight in the 2nd half was what can win games and pull you out the dirt, if you can score. Some good sub appearances which panicked Fulham.

Lets also not forget that this is a Fulham team who rested their best players in midweek for the game with us last night. A luxury we cannot afford but a reaction I can see many teams doing.

Negatives, I find myself having said this a few times this season, but Cousins passing was again just not good enough last night. So many wasteful 6 yard passes shows to me he is not yet dependable cm material. To be honest a lot of the teams simple passes were a disgrace last night.

Fox was pretty bad but he is young and hasn't had much game time. Cut the kid some slack.

Lawrie Wilson, simply no point in him last night. I barely remembered him on the pitch and then he would pop up with another lazy pass or bit of poor positioning/closing down and would frustrate me. He has lost his game from last season, he used to wear himself out closing everything, now he doesn't. Was the magic in his hairband?

Think all the back 4 know that last night was not great and the goals were gifted. Blips happen, it is how you react which is the key.

Was one of those games where I thought if we didn't score when those barrage of corners came in the 55th minute, then we weren't going to.

By all means not doom and gloom, your defeats can tell you as much as your victories. We lack strength in depth and some of these players will have realised that when lady luck is not in the stands, switching off for one moment against the players in this league can give you a mountain to climb.
  • Options
    Second half much better need a forward Roland , ahern grant did well could be a good prospect, got the coach last night Cos had to be up early with my son just glad I got off at Eltham on the way to the game .
  • Options
    Based on 2nd half performance we did not deserve to lose by 3 goals. However first half our passing was so poor we were lucky to come in only 2 down. 2nd was so much better and we looked more up for it but unless you make them count you will get punished and we did. Our passing definitely needs work. They were not reaching feet or being hit far too hard at players not to or in front of them. Not making fox a scapegoat at all but his passing was particularly poor and too hard. But he pulled of a couple of great tackles so there is a good player in there. He just needs more guidance. As a whole we looked knackered in 1st half which makesmakes no sense considering how we changed in the 2nd.

Looked so much better when gudmundsson and kag came on.

Encouraged by 2nd half so hoping we take that into next game and not panicking unlike my dad.

Really wish we'd bring in a couple of experienced loans to help this young squad. A striker and an experienced cm just to keep people in the right frame of mind. Honestly like a Scott Parker type player. Not gonna happen though.

Onto next game and learn from this
  • Options
    Unfortunately that was a "Charlton away at Sheffield Utd in the cup" type performance for both fans and players.

I seriously don't remember the last time Charlton turned up with numbers and the team won.

Met the Dundee lads though so not all bad.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Unfortunately that was a "Charlton away at Sheffield Utd in the cup" type performance for both fans and players.

I seriously don't remember the last time Charlton turned up with numbers and the team won.

Met the Dundee lads though so not all bad.

I can't quite agree with that. Sheffield Utd away was a different class of awful. I actually enjoyed last night.
  • Options
    Couldn't make it last night and watched it on TV. First half ... No comment. Second half ... Better but created nothing of note. #RelegationForm
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Very similar opening phase to the Bournemouth game, with us nowhere near matching the tempo of the opposition. As with Bournemouth, both of our full-backs were poor in a positional sense. Maybe it's the injury but Solly is taking about half an hour to look up to the required standard. A new right-back may have to be on the January wish list as well as a striker.

Enjoyed the second half a whole lot more because we upped the tempo, increased the movement and won the second balls. We know this team isn't fit enough to play like that for a whole game but the first half was a non-performance. Gudmonsson has ability and made a difference against a team that had already sat back. I prefer him in the central role but we need to see him play like that in the early phases of a match. He could be the nearest thing we've had to Claus Jensen for a long long time.

The Bikey up front thing with 15 to go, didn't work for the second game running. It shows good intent etc but meant we stopped winning the ball at the back to start the moves in the first place. His slip meant Fulham's defender got in an unchallenged header and that started the move for goal no.3. Last 5 mins yes....last 15 mins no.
  • Options
    Despite our poor performance last night, by far the most embarassing thing was seeing hundreds of Fulham fans leaving on 85 minutes with their team 2-0 up. Fans were immense last night and the players' second half performance went a long way to restoring the pride they lost in the first half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I only got to the pub to watch the game as a last minute plan and missed the first 20, so apart from the scoreline, what i saw from then onwards gave me hope and some reassurance that we'll be alright this season. There was frustration a plenty that the amount of 'chances' created very little goal scoring opportunities, but i'm still upbeat from the overall performance. Fulham are a rejuvenated side having won 5 of last 8 under new manager, so not a walkover team by any means. We weren't outplayed, just outscored, which is going to be the storyline of our season if another striker to compliment Igor is not found soon. The defence were split open at times, but as others could see, Fulham have top class players that can break with pace and accuracy, so our boys had their work cut out. Ahearne-Grant for me was the high point. He came on and looked like Bambi on acid. If he had come on earlier and a few players around him had matched his enthusiasm, skills and energy, we may have got something from a Fulham team that actually looked to be running out of steam. Henderson's rage at the third goal summed things up. We move on to the next game with a lesson learnt. Sitting back and allowing opposition to keep possession may have worked against some teams this season, but as was shown last night it doesn't work with them all. If we hadn't conceded early, who knows what the result could have been. At least at 3-0 our boys still looked hungry, which is something Bob can take heart from.

RD If you do want success to mean more than mid-table obscurity / staving off relegation, this team will not achieve your goal. A top 6 place in this league will swallow a lot more money than you have been willing / able to pump in to Charlton so far. What is your plan for January?
  • Options
    Bambi on acid. Now that's a film I want to see.
  • Options
    i kept thinking how good our side would be if we had Parker and either of the Fulham front men. I think we would be at the top.

So we are not far off being very good, but that quality is going to cost a lot of money.

Perhaps we should enquire about Poyet.
  • Options
    The measure of our season might be whether we finish above Fulham or not. If we do, I think we can all be satisfied.
  • Options
    It wasn't great but I reckon three games in a week, with an injury hit squad, finally took it's toll. Particularly that slow start.
    Onto the next game.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Looking at the player marks and really can't understand the Solly love, his first half was dire. Possibly our worst player with Fox.

Second half he was decent but you can't just ignore half of the game and give him a 7+
  • Options
    Logged on now for the first time since 16th & after watching last 30 mins of last night's game on Sky.

No words of wisdom from me, but I was impressed by the amount of possession we had during that period and the half chances we created but no end result once again. Think I was fortunate to have missed the first half so praise should be given to Big Bob for his half time talk.

But we move on, as always & with the return of Yoni, Igor & probably Rhoys , we should be back to full strength to face the Massive. However, I fully expect our Welsh "wizard" to be substituted next Thursday evening in Bromley to ensure he's well rested for the Saturday....:-)

So, how did we fare during my trip to sunnier climes ?

It's clear that the lads can't travel without Fanny .

And that the future, however bright it will be, is NOT orange....although I am !

( Did anyone miss me ? )
  • Options
    I'm surprised how positive everyone is. Is it because we were so dire in the first half that the second half in comparison seemed better than it really was? It was much more lively and fun to watch, I agree, but it was more sheer effort and chaotic huff and puff than effective football. Similarly, though I was very happy to see him play and he really tried and showed a lot of promise, I think people are overpraising and having unrealistic expectations about KAG.
  • Options
    Watched in pub with Bolton-supporting mate. He thought we were a lot better 2nd half but had the same problem as Bolton did on Tuesday, no strikers who can score. Hope Igor's better soon.

Mistakes from lots of players yesterday, including Solly that led to their first. And who was meant to be marking Rodallega for their 2nd?

I think we've been found out a bit and Fulham were set up well. 2nd half was a lot better but as we've shown against other teams, lots of possession means nothing without finishing.

Oh well. 3 games in 7 days is a lot with a depleted squad. It'll get better, hopefully next Saturday against the Massives.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Posting without mainlining

Very poor first half albeit against a fluent and talented side on a roll.

Yes, much better 2nd half but without creating any clear cut chances. Fulham held us off well and there is little value in playing well only when two down already.

Proves the point if it was ever needed that stats such as possessions, shots or corners are meaningless. Only one stat counts and that is goals.

As I said after Bolton this is a very level division, the smallest difference or disadvantage can tip the balance.

The strategy of running a very small squad with a number of promising but untried youngsters always had the inherent risk that if we hit a patch of injuries and/or suspensions we could struggle and so it has proved. That is not to say the strategy is wrong but merely pointing out that no strategy is without flaws, this one included. Long term, nurturing the youngsters should bear fruit but short term we have to take the pain.

We may get more players in during January but that depends on various factors not all of which are within the club's control and even if we do we can't say if those players will be what we need.

And just as we try to strengthen so will every other side in the division.

Bumpy ride, chaps, bumpy ride.

Up the Addicks
  • Options
    Just got home after watching the game in deepest darkest North Essex last night. Having read through this thread, I'm amazed at the posters that think Fulham are a poor team!

They were always going to pull themselves round from a bad start, too much quality not to, they tore us apart for the first 20 minutes. Best game from Jackson for a long time though, just a shame we couldn't nick a goal in the second half, I really think we could have got back into it.

Chris Solly, love the man, but it was his faults that played a major part in Fulham scoring their first 2 goals, he just isn't the player that he was, shame.
  • Options
    the Jocks were on fine form-----have to say the TV was very blurred and the boat back messy
  • Options
    Awful first half big improvement 2nd half.thought defence was awful first half.all over the place.wilson was terrible as was fox.not championship players IMO.solly is allowed one bad game but stuck at it.bulot played well.cousins played well but faded because he had to cover jackson.dont know whats happened to jacko but he has been awful this season.just not up to it and deserves a spell on the bench so cousins can play in the centre with buyons.looks so off the pace and the game goes by him.still long way to go and need to strengthen in january.onwards and upwards.RED ARMY RED ARMY.
  • Options

the Jocks were on fine form-----have to say the TV was very blurred and the boat back messy

I didnt bother getting boat back but I got the boat there and have to say they were a great laugh
  • Options
    FUR COAT AND NO KNICKERS

Not doom and gloom but like everyone else says we have nowt up front. Every game I have seen so far whether we have won or drawn we could easily have lost. We can't rely on 17-year olds to climb the table, or one good striker in Igor. Roland must get a couple of quality players asap.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited October 2014
    I just watched the 2nd half again to see if we really did play that much better. We did play better but there was still a lot of huff and puff. We really missed Igor and we didn't really trouble their goalkeeper too much. In fact I think Fulham still had the better chances.

The injuries are taking their toll and we have another one now as it looks like Bulot has done his hamstring.

Our squad is very thin and, as many have said, we need at least two or three quality reinforcements if we expect to push on.

The next few months will be very interesting to see which way we go.

I just keep trying to remember 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.
  • Options
    I think last nights lose shows just how important let alone how good Yoni Buyens is!! Coz we really really bloody missed him last night, I thought gudmudson was very good when he came on and Ahearn-Grant brilliant! The most affords we have had on goal in one game all season not to mention the corner count
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Chris Solly, love the man, but it was his faults that played a major part in Fulham scoring their first 2 goals, he just isn't the player that he was, shame.

Agree with your other points but can't be having this. He had an below par first half last night but I still think he's been one of our best players this season.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

For everyone that still thinks Lawrie Wilson is a good player but just had an off day could you please donate your £1 to the upbeats

Did he have an off day against Bolton at RB or Norwich when he played in 3 different positions,
    no he did not.

Lawrie was as poor as everyone else in the 1st half, including chris solly.

To be without Buyens, Vetokele, and the GUD (first half) we were always going to be up against it.

The 2nd half was 100% better than at Bournemouth,