Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fulham vs Charlton - Post Match Views Oct '14

Comments

• Options

Logged on now for the first time since 16th & after watching last 30 mins of last night's game on Sky.

No words of wisdom from me, but I was impressed by the amount of possession we had during that period and the half chances we created but no end result once again. Think I was fortunate to have missed the first half so praise should be given to Big Bob for his half time talk.

But we move on, as always & with the return of Yoni, Igor & probably Rhoys , we should be back to full strength to face the Massive. However, I fully expect our Welsh "wizard" to be substituted next Thursday evening in Bromley to ensure he's well rested for the Saturday....:-)

So, how did we fare during my trip to sunnier climes ?

It's clear that the lads can't travel without Fanny .

And that the future, however bright it will be, is NOT orange....although I am !

( Did anyone miss me ? )

We missed you like CAFC miss Igor.

Welcome back.

Same colour as our unlucky 3rd strip !

Best, just to go red.

• Options
    When will our fans learn some psychology and realise that giving former players grief from the terraces more often than not results in the player concerned responding on the pitch. Something that was a nailed on certainty with Scotty.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

( Did anyone miss me ? )

@FannyFanackapan Is the sky blue? Is the sea wet? Are Millsmall sh*te? Of course we missed you, hope you all had a good break.
  • Options

mrbligh said:

For everyone that still thinks Lawrie Wilson is a good player but just had an off day could you please donate your £1 to the upbeats

Did he have an off day against Bolton at RB or Norwich when he played in 3 different positions,
    no he did not.

Lawrie was as poor as everyone else in the 1st half, including chris solly.

To be without Buyens, Vetokele, and the GUD (first half) we were always going to be up against it.

The 2nd half was 100% better than at Bournemouth,

you owe the upbeats £1
  • Options
    It's very frustrating that if we had played this fixture six weeks ago, we'd have more than likely won it.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

( Did anyone miss me ? )

@FannyFanackapan Is the sky blue? Is the sea wet? Are Millsmall sh*te? Of course we missed you, hope you all had a good break.
    Aw, thanks, RC.

Decent week , thanks but have arrived home with a tad more weight than when I left....

Sore throat led to an enlarged gland( careful! ) and I'm feeling rather fragile at the minute.

Bloody holidays !

• Options
    edited October 2014
    When the whole world saw in the first half that we played slowly and dimly, yet in the second we were energised with fluency and aggression, it raises the question: why shouldn't the obverse be possible?

If we had kicked off at 7.45 last night playing the way we did in the second half, it might have been us trotting in at the break 2-0 up, not Fulham, who were in the bottom three, never forget. Derby are a seriously good team, and their only defeat this season was two months ago at The Valley when we took the game by the scruff of the neck right from the start and stamped our authority. We have the same players - yet what has happened to them between August and October?

Loss of fitness? Weak coaching? Bad management? With their excuses and apologies, some Lifers would be delighted if we finished seventeenth next May. The Valley of 15,000 fans demand much better than that.
  • Options
    Well, not having Buyens and Igor, and JBG only playing a third of the game, certainly didn't help.
  • Options

Logged on now for the first time since 16th & after watching last 30 mins of last night's game on Sky.

No words of wisdom from me, but I was impressed by the amount of possession we had during that period and the half chances we created but no end result once again. Think I was fortunate to have missed the first half so praise should be given to Big Bob for his half time talk.

But we move on, as always & with the return of Yoni, Igor & probably Rhoys , we should be back to full strength to face the Massive. However, I fully expect our Welsh "wizard" to be substituted next Thursday evening in Bromley to ensure he's well rested for the Saturday....:-)

So, how did we fare during my trip to sunnier climes ?

It's clear that the lads can't travel without Fanny .

And that the future, however bright it will be, is NOT orange....although I am !

( Did anyone miss me ? )

SO glad you're back Jean! I believe many of us missed you!
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

The reason the second half was better was because Fulham had a 2-0 lead and could sit and soak up pressure. Therefore we had possession and made chances but how many times did they look like they were struggling? It was a shite performance against a team with admittedly some Premiership quality.

So, basically, Fulham did a Charlton on us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apart frrom the smelly onels fans were superb
  • Options
    We didn't deserve to lose but neither did fulham. First half we looked utterly outclassed. Buyens igor and gudmundson make such a difference to us it's ridiculous. We definitely need 4plus quality players added and I think RD knows that. Maybe I'll have a word with my ex Mrs who is sweedish and is good friends with Astrit ajdarevic, convince him to come back!!!
  • Options

We didn't deserve to lose but neither did fulham. First half we looked utterly outclassed. Buyens igor and gudmundson make such a difference to us it's ridiculous. We definitely need 4plus quality players added and I think RD knows that. Maybe I'll have a word with my ex Mrs who is sweedish and is good friends with Astrit ajdarevic, convince him to come back!!!

Please don't!
  • Options
    Just read all this and it sounds like my Friday night on the trains for 6 hours when it should have been 3 was the better option!
  • Options
    I might be under a total misapprehension here .. Buyens is generally an accurate and incisive passer, but against Fulham, with Cousins & Jackson in the centre, we appeared to move the ball forward much quicker and more towards the wings than in some other games that I've seen this season .. am I wrong/right/going blind/gone crazy ? .. or was this just a matter of necessity as we were 2 down very early on ?
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2014

The way that Charlton started the first 15 minutes, I am not sure how you can say that Charlton deserved not to lose. No team can get away with starting like that in the Championship on a regular basis and expect anything from the game. Most of the teams have some quality in the attack who punish mistakes. Maybe in League 1, a team may get away with it but not in the Championships. After recovering from the shell shock, Charlton played better in the second, but didn't really create clear chances until Lawrie Wilson hit the post in the last minute of the game.

Agree Charlton need 4 quality players for promotion with 2 to be comfortable mid table.

Not enthusiastic about Astrit. Astrit fitness is suspect and I would need convincing that he doesn't think that he is too good for Charlton and the Championships. I think that if Astrit had a more committed attitude, then he would have potential to be a really good player. That requires hard work and diligence, not sure if that is part of Astrit's make up. Is Astrit a team player for when the team is up against it ?

Regards RD, I am not sure you can take anything for granted what RD thinks is appropriate for a team to compete. RD sold Standard Liege star players and then when the replacements have not worked out, he fired Luzon, holding Luzon responsible for the overall strategy. Regards Charlton, no Charlton supporter can assume that there will be any additions in January 15 (particularly with irate Standard fans demanding improvements for the team). Very happy to be proved to be wrong about the January window.

Last season was a gamble with Charlton's championship status and I don't see much evidence that this season will be any difference with the thin squad that Charlton has. There is a bit of quality there but no depth to allow for inevitable suspensions, injuries and loss of form. Playing the youngsters may help for the future, in a season or 2 (or attracting good youngsters who will sign as they will get first team football). Finding the balance between blending quality, experience and progressing youth is the magic formula, and not easy. The way the season progresses will prove it. The balance does not look right at the moment.

• Options
    The championship is fast becoming if not already premier league 2. There is no time to blood so many youngsters in at this level at this stage of the season, the teams that end up on top will have quality right through their ranks and in depth, and with parachute payments going on for years a lot of clubs that usually would, wont get a look in. If RD doesnt get the cheque book out soon or get in a quality loan player we will end up fighting every year like the last one.
  • Options

His view of Friday was as many have said here. He was really pleased with the overall performance, one of the best of the season in his eyes, it was just the mad first 15 minutes that did it which he couldn't really explain.

Now I respect Big Bob and the start he's made for us as a manager but that's far from the truth, just because for the first time in a game we dominated for a period of time, doesn't make it our best performance, far from it. Firstly that was because Fulham sat off us in the second half, and still won that half itself 1-0. They basically used our usual tactics in the second and executed it perfectly.. cling on for dear life then catch us out.

I'd call it a poor performance because Fulham gave us plenty of chances to get back into the game, we still lost the game from the 20th minute onwards after our crazy bad start. But that's just my opinion.. he's taking positives out of a negative situation player wise, the only bright spark from that whole game was Johann when subbed on, linking play with ease and KAG running at defenders with confidence. Everyone else may aswell have stayed at home.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

RedPanda said:

The reason the second half was better was because Fulham had a 2-0

His view of Friday was as many have said here. He was really pleased with the overall performance, one of the best of the season in his eyes, it was just the mad first 15 minutes that did it which he couldn't really explain.

Now I respect Big Bob and the start he's made for us as a manager but that's far from the truth, just because for the first time in a game we dominated for a period of time, doesn't make it our best performance, far from it. Firstly that was because Fulham sat off us in the second half, and still won that half itself 1-0. They basically used our usual tactics in the second and executed it perfectly.. cling on for dear life then catch us out.

I'd call it a poor performance because Fulham gave us plenty of chances to get back into the game, we still lost the game from the 20th minute onwards after our crazy bad start. But that's just my opinion.. he's taking positives out of a negative situation player wise, the only bright spark from that whole game was Johann when subbed on, linking play with ease and KAG running at defenders with confidence. Everyone else may aswell have stayed at home.
    We lost the game in the first twelve minutes because we are physically weak in every tackle, we are technically unable to control the ball, and even when we have possession we lack the basic skills to move and receive. Weak midfield.

It's quite disingenuous to wonder about the second half at Fulham. If we had scored, by luck and deflection, Fulham would have stormed forward and won 5-1. It was well within their capability - but not ours.

Duchatelet wants everything done on the cheap. We have the wrong manager: Peeters would like to kick every ball that he missed as a player: he can't believe his luck in the Championship with 15,000 quiescent fans every week. We also have the wrong players: even the East Stand is in uproar when yet another midfield pass is stalled, ignored, miscontrolled, skied or shanked.

Our academy graduates have found their level: they might do well at Newport, Orient, Wimbledon and Welling United.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

With our misplaced passes and hapless defending all in the first eleven minutes it's disingenuous to think we might win. Let's imagine we had scored in the second half - by a lucky deflection - Fulham would have stormed forward and won 5-1.

At The Valley, even the usually quiescent East Stand are in uproar by our regular midfield passes stalled, ignored, over-hit, miscontrolled, shanked and skied.

Our brilliant academy graduates have found precisely their natural level: at Orient, Newport, Torquay and Welling United.

I know I've said it before, but this is just top trolling
  • Options

With our misplaced passes and hapless defending all in the first eleven minutes it's disingenuous to think we might win. Let's imagine we had scored in the second half - by a lucky deflection - Fulham would have stormed forward and won 5-1.

At The Valley, even the usually quiescent East Stand are in uproar by our regular midfield passes stalled, ignored, over-hit, miscontrolled, shanked and skied.

Our brilliant academy graduates have found precisely their natural level: at Orient, Newport, Torquay and Welling United.

I must admit I'm starting to wonder. VF's posts have changed from when he first used to post. It's as if he's always fishing for a bite nowadays.
  • Options
    Rob said:

I must admit I'm starting to wonder. VF's posts have changed from when he first used to post. It's as if he's always fishing for a bite nowadays.
    Whaddya mean my posts have changed nowadays? I trust they are still received loud and clear - Tony Benn was wrong with some things, but he was bloody right when he said: "Say what you mean, and mean what you say".

• Options

RedChaser said:

( Did anyone miss me ? )

Aw, thanks, RC.

Decent week , thanks but have arrived home with a tad more weight than when I left....

Sore throat led to an enlarged gland( careful! ) and I'm feeling rather fragile at the minute.

Bloody holidays !

@FannyFanackapan I have no intention of going anywhere near that topic, get well soon. :-)
  • Options

Rob said:

Whaddya mean my posts have changed nowadays? I trust they are still received loud and clear - Tony Benn was wrong with some things, but he was bloody right when he said: "Say what you mean, and mean what you say".

Fair enough VF. It takes all sorts
  • Options

Rob said:

Rob said:

Fair enough VF. It takes all sorts
    i was never keen on all sorts. too much liquorice for my liking.
    Racist.
  • Options
    Twat
  • Options

RedPanda said:

The reason the second half was better was because Fulham had a 2-0 lead and could sit and soak up pressure. Therefore we had possession and made chances but how many times did they look like they were struggling? It was a shite performance against a team with admittedly some Premiership quality.

So, basically, Fulham did a Charlton on us.
    Yup so being the beaten side most people's views meant we were rubbish didnt deserve anything from the game...

Next week we'll win 2-0 in the First-Half and be lucky to take all three points in the second half followed by everyone coming on here saying we were rubbish, didnt deserve anything from the game and that its only a matter of time before we're beaten 8-0 by someone ;)