Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox

Comments

• Options

Perhaps the scouts of Premiership football teams know more about football than some CL stalwarts?

Or maybe because a Newcastle watched a game it's just some guessing as to who they might have been watching. The other day there was talk that it was Cousins and Gomez. Could have also been Watt or JBG.

I'm pleased that he's now playing with confidence and starting to show a bit more going forward. He also did a decent job at the end of last season. I don't see a future Prem player there myself but could be a solid Championship player.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Perhaps the scouts of Premiership football teams know more about football than some CL stalwarts?

Or maybe because a Newcastle watched a game it's just some guessing as to who they might have been watching. The other day there was talk that it was Cousins and Gomez. Could have also been Watt or JBG.

I'm pleased that he's now playing with confidence and starting to show a bit more going forward. He also did a decent job at the end of last season. I don't see a future Prem player there myself but could be a solid Championship player.
    True, but I would have said exactly the same of Carl Jenkinson. I would never have thought he'd crack the Premiership before Solly. Just goes to show exactly how much I know!
  • Options
    Jenkinson had pace and technical ability. Fox doesn't
  • Options
    If someone asked you who would you rather have; Wiggins or Fox? I'd choose Fox all day over Wiggins based on how poor Wiggins has been when he's not been injured of course.

I can understand the Fox hate but I don't think he's as bad as everyone seems to suggest.
  • Options
    I have no hate for Fox. I just don't think he's very good, positionally or technically and he's pretty slow. This is not his fault and I support him 100% at every match that I go to. We're all entitled to our opinions and as long as it doesn't manifest in abuse, I don't see any harm in the debate.

I do agree, Wiggins has largely been a shadow of his former self lately and there his little between him and Fox. Here's hoping that THD steps up next year
  • Options

That wouldn't be difficult.
  • Options
    Pace is so over-rated in Football thanks to the FIFA Games.

Antonio (perhaps one of the fastest wingers in the league) played against both Wilson and Fox the other week for Nottingham Forest, against Wilson (who is no slouch) there was no contest cos Antonio was ripping him apart.

Against Fox on the other hand he didnt get past once...

If as a Full-Back your always having to use your pace to get back to stop the winger then you've got issues and you need to sort your positioning out

Take another example when we played Watford at the Valley, yes Wiggins has been on form this season but he has got pace (along with Ikechi Anya), the latter terrorised him all match and was forever getting past him
  • Options

Antonio (perhaps one of the fastest wingers in the league) played against both Wilson and Fox the other week for Nottingham Forest, against Wilson (who is no slouch) there was no contest cos Antonio was ripping him apart.

If as a Full-Back your always having to use your pace to get back to stop the winger then you've got issues and you need to sort your positioning out

Take another example when we played Watford at the Valley, yes Wiggins has been on form this season but he has got pace (along with Ikechi Anya), the latter terrorised him all match and was forever getting past him

I think it was Gomez who Antonio didn't get by; he's rapid. Ripping to shreds a lacking in confidence Lawrie Wilson has been done by far slower and less able players than Antonio.

All decent modern full backs have pace; it is the way that the game has evolved, with them providing the bulk of the width. I'm sure someone will name a top line one without speed, but I'm struggling

• Options
    I don't understand these forums. The team playing so well, and yet players get ripped to shreds.
    Glad they haven't seen the likes of Maurice Setters, Alan Dundee or Bobby Goldthorpe!..
    well done Morgan Fox, for not rising to the idiots......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I still click the thread thinking it's about Megan not Morgan

I really hope that he doesn't go to a Prem side. Partly because he's getting better all the time and it would be good to keep him and partly because it would be a real shame if his own pictures started appearing on google image search :wink:
  • Options

I don't understand these forums. The team playing so well, and yet players get ripped to shreds.
    Glad they haven't seen the likes of Maurice Setters, Alan Dundee or Bobby Goldthorpe!..

Who's ripping him to shreds?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I think it was Gomez who Antonio didn't get by; he's rapid. Ripping to shreds a lacking in confidence Lawrie Wilson has been done by far slower and less able players than Antonio.

All decent modern full backs have pace; it is the way that the game has evolved, with them providing the bulk of the width. I'm sure someone will name a top line one without speed, but I'm struggling

Antonio switched over to the other side halfway through the 2nd Half when he realised he was getting no joy against Gomez

The others with pace in that sort of position are the likes Jordi Alba / Daniel Alves they've all got pace but they're usually positioned as Wing-Backs so dont have the protection of a winger in front of them so yes they do need pace because they dont just defend but do have to attack as well.

In England we've got Kyle Walker and Glen Johnson who are Full-Backs and have pace yet both constantly get caught out of position when they go forwards

Morgan Fox knows he doesnt have the pace so just ensures that he doesnt get forward unless its absolutely safe to do so (and as a Full-Back his first job is to Defend, if he were a Wing-Back then I'd agree that he needs pace) and in any case its Bulot's job to do the attacking for him
  • Options

sorry should have read Alan Dugdale.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Who's ripping him to shreds?
    Hyperbole indeed. Benign discussion on a forum, I'd say
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2015

wmcf123 said:

Antonio switched over to the other side halfway through the 2nd Half when he realised he was getting no joy against Gomez

The others with pace in that sort of position are the likes Jordi Alba / Daniel Alves they've all got pace but they're usually positioned as Wing-Backs so dont have the protection of a winger in front of them so yes they do need pace because they dont just defend but do have to attack as well.

In England we've got Kyle Walker and Glen Johnson who are Full-Backs and have pace yet both constantly get caught out of position when they go forwards

Morgan Fox knows he doesnt have the pace so just ensures that he doesnt get forward unless its absolutely safe to do so (and as a Full-Back his first job is to Defend, if he were a Wing-Back then I'd agree that he needs pace) and in any case its Bulot's job to do the attacking for him
    I agree with @ForeverAddickted above that the first job of a full back is to defend first and foremost. Morgan Fox does that well. IMO, Morgan Fox has improved and is developing well with a run of games. Morgan Fox and Bulot is a good combination as Bulot plays more forward. Bulot can then concentrate on attacking.

Morgan Fox is a good quality back up for Wiggins. With Wiggins being prone to injury, Morgan Fox will get a lot of games per season and is in a good play to secure the place on a more permanent basis. Apart from the increased wage, which is difficult for a player to turn down, I am not sure how moving to a bigger club will help in terms of game time. There is also the risk that the club will purchase a bigger star over the heads of the younger player. The player then plays reserves in front of empty stands or gets loaned out to a lower league club.

Difficult balance though it is balancing getting experience and confidence. At Charlton the good younger player will get a chance at the first team and to establish a place. Unless the offer is substantial, I hope Charlton can keep all their young stars and that they can be part of the squad that gets Charlton to the Premiership. If Charlton are to be a selling club then the aim should be a selling club like Southampton where they get good value.
  • Options
    I posted on another thread about out outgoings this summer...

I seriously believe that we should take the opportunity to cash in on Rhoys Wiggins, put Morgan Fox as the First choice and see what the confidence does, if all else fails we'd have Tarieq Homes-Dennis who can be backup Left-Back AND Left-Midfielder and then when Archie Edwards comes through he can be the main backup Left-Back.

I really do like Rhoys Wiggins and if he can regain full fitness and go on a proper run in the side again then I'd say keep him... At the moment though, the fact he keeps coming in and out of the Squad for 10-games is surely disturbing the back four from creating a serious Defensive team (which is what we had when we won League One)
  • Options
    vff said:

wmcf123 said:

I agree with @ForeverAddickted above that the first job of a full back is to defend first and foremost. Morgan Fox does that well. IMO, Morgan Fox has improved and is developing well with a run of games. Morgan Fox and Bulot is a good combination as Bulot plays more forward. Bulot can then concentrate on attacking.

Morgan Fox is a good quality back up for Wiggins. With Wiggins being prone to injury, Morgan Fox will get a lot of games per season and is in a good play to secure the place on a more permanent basis. Apart from the increased wage, which is difficult for a player to turn down, I am not sure how moving to a bigger club will help in terms of game time. There is also the risk that the club will purchase a bigger star over the heads of the younger player. The player then plays reserves in front of empty stands or gets loaned out to a lower league club.

Difficult balance though it is balancing getting experience and confidence. At Charlton the good younger player will get a chance at the first team and to establish a place. Unless the offer is substantial, I hope Charlton can keep all their young stars and that they can be part of the squad that gets Charlton to the Premiership. If Charlton are to be a selling club then the aim should be a selling club like Southampton where they get good value.
    I don't disagree with that, although many premier league managers would. However, that doesn't disregard the fact that Fox has no pace. I wouldn't underestimate the fact that Bulot does a huge amount of tracking back to cover for this.

I'll be as delighted as anyone if Fox does turn into a fantastic player, however. I don't get involved in the point scoring that goes on on here.
  • Options
    The premiership interest is great for Fox and Charlton.

I hope that you don't feel that I am joining in point scoring there @wmcf123. Am just joining the discussion, read the last few comments and not the last few pages.
  • Options
    Yeah I didn't think you were. Thought it was good, healthy debate !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    Fox has done ever so well in the last 6 or 7 games and he is young and needs time (at least 2 seasons playing for Charlton) before he even contemplates moving (look at diego who went for the money obviously and now must seriously regret the lack of matchday experience and therefore not investing time in his future) Young players don't benefit financially in the long term by going too soon. Both Gomez and Fox are bright young prospects but they could be forgotten and disenchanted in the premiership if they leave too soon and anyway the best way of playing there is by staying with Charlton and getting promotion...they surely have to see this as an option especially now.
  • Options

I still click the thread thinking it's about Megan not Morgan

Me to. Gutted when I realise it's not.

• Options
    The lad has certainly improved. So much so that I actually think I'd have him in the side ahead of a fit Wiggins.

It's ironic that he will get a full Wales cap before Wiggins.

Good luck to him, amazing what an extended run and a bit of confidence can do.
  • Options

I posted on another thread about out outgoings this summer...

I seriously believe that we should take the opportunity to cash in on Rhoys Wiggins, put Morgan Fox as the First choice and see what the confidence does, if all else fails we'd have Tarieq Homes-Dennis who can be backup Left-Back AND Left-Midfielder and then when Archie Edwards comes through he can be the main backup Left-Back.

I really do like Rhoys Wiggins and if he can regain full fitness and go on a proper run in the side again then I'd say keep him... At the moment though, the fact he keeps coming in and out of the Squad for 10-games is surely disturbing the back four from creating a serious Defensive team (which is what we had when we won League One)

Are teams interested in signing Wiggins ? If so I'd probably agree
  • Options
    He is a young player who is making a breakthrough. If anybody cant see that, they are either trying to save face after previous comments or dont understand football. He is still learning and it is going to be interesting to see what type of player he becomes.
  • Options

We have had some shit full backs some fantastic ones, we have had numerous young players who have failed to live up to the potential, morgan is a young man trying hard and acting in the correct manor to just get on with his football, the coaches and mgr see him daily his improvement will continue with his experience within the first team, his lack of pace is no more of a problem than solly and his height, the correct position on a football pitch is more important and over comes the pace issue more often than not, he should be allowed without unfair criticism to continue at the speed he is,

We can all debate his pro's and cons and he will find his level but if we want to rebuild the so called heart and soul that many feel has been taken from within then we start by bringing through young players and in turn they will have the club more at heart than any other player we bring in, if your parents or siblings are like 99% of people they will visit sites like this and see opinions if they feel their child is not going to get the fair and balanced support and be able to put any mistakes they May make behind them as just part of their learning and education

Not often I agree with NLA but this is excellently written, absolutely to the point and spot on.
    Last season and this Fox has been called on to step up, and he has done so. Fox is yet another home grown player who will make a living as a footballer, and I would venture to suggest our Academy produces as many, if not more professional footballers than most other academy's.

• Options
    If Wiggins is 100% fit he is a shoe in but hasn't been for several seasons. Fox has improved vastly and those who quote "positional" naivety don't understand the game. However we are spolit for choice with better LBs and I'd cash in on £500k+.