Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox

Comments

• Options
    Was immense last night, well done Morgan.
  • Options
    playing better at the moment, but still a worry for me - don't think he's the long term answer at LB and I still see him as the weak link in the back 4.

lacks pace and his distribution and positional sense are often poor.

still as I said, he's playing better at the moment and hopefully it continues
  • Options
    Good game last night. AND how unusual for two teams to be playing each other while fielding left backs with the same surname! Morgan Fox for us and Danny Fox for Forest. Spooky!
  • Options
    arthur said:

what is it that makes people think that he is "constantly out of position"?

I am recently hearing around me lots of people moaning about positioning of full backs and wingers. They seem to think that everyone has to be man marked to arms length at all times and if they are not then they are not doing their job, even when the ball is on the opposite side of the pitch! Some fans I hear around where I sit don't understand even basic positioning of a full back or winger tucking in cover their CB or CM when the ball is on the other side of the pitch. The danger is on the inside, if the ball goes outside you can recover and close it down, everyone shuffles over.

I think Fox has been playing ok most of the time this season, however he has looked better in the last 5 games, but then everyone has looked much better!

I wasn't there last night but Fox consistently loses concentration and gets sucked inside when he should be aware of where the winger is. When a cross comes in we've conceded goals where Fox has failed to see the winger coming inside on the edge of the box as he's sat in no-man's land in between two attackers. His other issue, which will always be a problem is his pace, so if he goes up field and loses the ball he'll struggle to catch a speedy winger running into the empty space. Those are the positioning issues that get brought up, and he can work on his concentration. I'm happy to see that opinion of him is improving in general, I think he's a decent young player
  • Options
    arthur said:

what is it that makes people think that he is "constantly out of position"?

I am recently hearing around me lots of people moaning about positioning of full backs and wingers. They seem to think that everyone has to be man marked to arms length at all times and if they are not then they are not doing their job, even when the ball is on the opposite side of the pitch! Some fans I hear around where I sit don't understand even basic positioning of a full back or winger tucking in cover their CB or CM when the ball is on the other side of the pitch. The danger is on the inside, if the ball goes outside you can recover and close it down, everyone shuffles over.

I think Fox has been playing ok most of the time this season, however he has looked better in the last 5 games, but then everyone has looked much better!

Exactly if the ball is 40 yards away you mark close. Sudden movement and he can be away. Awareness is what it is about. Fox has had 2 great games now and looks very decent. He must have some pretty good character as well to not let some of the abuse he got earlier in the season not affect him.

• Options
    He needs a good centre half next to him and a good player in front of him. Anyone playing at left back without this will fail anyway. Fox is improving and growing in confidence.
  • Options
    I was gobsmacked when he tried to do a Tony Watt by the corner flag!
  • Options
    Very well said Redman, re. character. He got crucified during and after the Blackburn cup game when his weaknesses were cruelly exposed. He's gone away and appears to have listened and learnt. He won't be able to turn himself into a marauding wing back but could just become a very solid DEFENDER, whether that be at LB or CB. He's brave and enjoys a challenge; attributes that can carry a defender a long way. I haven't checked the stats but he seems to have contributed to more than his fair share of clean sheets too.
  • Options
    With our players we need to extenuate the positives more. All U21 followers would have said he is slow and vulnerable to a tricky winger when faced one on one.

But on the plus side, based on regular U21 viewing he is very vocal, excellent in the air and possesses a sweet left foot. I have seen him put in some great crosses and also take a mean free kick, including great efforts on goal around the box.

Morgan Fox - He's one of our own. Unfortunately so is Harriot, but that's another story!

Interesting next season trying to keep Rhoys, Morgan and THD happy and with Archie Edwards in the background too:) Probably worth cashi ng in on injury prone Rhoys if he has any suitors in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well said, Arthur.

I played full back for many seasons. Even if you have the winger in your pocket, it only takes your midfielder in front of you to get sucked in or lose concentration - and suddenly as the fullback, you're overloaded 2 against 1, exposed and vulnerable.

And, as you say, sometimes you just come across a winger who is absolute quality - of course, youre going to have a tough time. And it's vitally important that you get support from your team mates around you.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Good game last night. AND how unusual for two teams to be playing each other while fielding left backs with the same surname! Morgan Fox for us and Danny Fox for Forest. Spooky!

Thankfully our Fox didn't rely on pushing, tugging of shirts, cynical kicks to the backs of peoples legs and constant moaning to the ref.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    A 2nd excellent game by Fox. Very well done to him.
    I have to say, that the way he was getting worse this season. I thought he wasn't going to make it at this level.
    However, he has shown everyone, that he has got what it takes.

I wonder if the sports psychologist is helping. Look into my eyes .......
  • Options
    arthur said:

I wasn't there last night but Fox consistently loses concentration and gets sucked inside when he should be aware of where the winger is. When a cross comes in we've conceded goals where Fox has failed to see the winger coming inside on the edge of the box as he's sat in no-man's land in between two attackers. His other issue, which will always be a problem is his pace, so if he goes up field and loses the ball he'll struggle to catch a speedy winger running into the empty space. Those are the positioning issues that get brought up, and he can work on his concentration. I'm happy to see that opinion of him is improving in general, I think he's a decent young player

but my point is that maybe he is aware of where his winger is and he is doing his job by covering his centre back. It's all about playing the percentages and keeping the danger as far out wide as possible, not down the middle. He got beaten twice by a good winger yesterday, not because he wasn't aware, or out of position but because but he's not going to stop absolutely everything a decent player playing well will throw at him. In the second half Gomez got beaten two or three times by Antonio but did a good job on him overall! When JBG or Bulot has beaten their man recently we all view it as good wing play, not the opposing fullback being consistently out of position!

I don't disagree that it's not always a case of him not knowing where his winger is, but I'm afraid there are a few too many cases where he gets sucked inside and bunches up with the centre half as opposed to covering him. It happened in the first half against Huddersfield, he drifted and ended up marking the space next to Johnson and Vaughan and left Scannell in space when the cross came in. Fortunately Scannell had a donkey game but Fox made a mistake in positioning there. I like Fox, I think he's a decent young player and I want him to do well but drifting and awareness when there's movement in the box is an area he needs to work on
  • Options
    I have to admit, I didn't really see what many others did on Saturday. I still saw a somewhat hesitant defender who took too long to react and make decisions with the ball.

However, last night I thought he was fantastic. He handled a dangerous, seasoned Championship winger in Burke brilliantly, with assurance and calm. His distribution was much better and snappier, and the shackles seemed to come off as far as getting forward is concerned.

Keep up the good work Morgan.
  • Options
    Tbf to Fox and all of our full backs. Peeters told them NOT to go forward.
    He wanted them to keep the level back 4 shape at all times, as far as possible.

Rhoys Wiggins told us at a Bromley meeting.
  • Options

WTF?
  • Options
    Some of our fans have got it in for Morgan but unlike Simon Francis he hasn't buckled and many of his critics have started to lay off a bit.
    Prefer him to Wiggins as he's a better defender whereas Wiggo is better going forward.
    Happy with his progress.....
  • Options

WTF?

FACT !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't get this positional thing. The FBs need to be close to the CBs until the ball gets to their winger, but need to get out quick enough to cut out a cross. I think on balance all our FBs do that. They should NOT stand out wide with the winger on the off-chance the ball goes there. It won't. It'll go where he should of been standing.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Can't get this positional thing. The FBs need to be close to the CBs until the ball gets to their winger, but need to get out quick enough to cut out a cross. I think on balance all our FBs do that. They should NOT stand out wide with the winger on the off-chance the ball goes there. It won't. It'll go where he should of been standing.

Except it did last night! It went to Antonio regularly in the first half who had a field day attacking the space in front of him and Wilson was getting pelters for it from the crowd albeit not helped by Harriott's failure to give him some assistance. And this is where their equaliser came from.
  • Options
    Morgan is either shite or amazing. I'm not sure which but at a guess he's somewhere down the middle a Basey if you will...
  • Options
    Personally I think he's looked much improved the last two matches . Not perfect but then he is still young and fairly inexperienced. I'm confident enough in him filling that role right now.

Don't forget Wiggins was hardly playing like a world beater before his (latest) injury.
  • Options
    He has looked steadier recently but In all honesty can't see him being a Championship player in two years time , League One at best another Grant Basey
    At one stage in the space of 5 mins in the second half he gave the ball away 3 times rather cheaply and that will get overlooked because as a team , that he clearly is a part of , we are producing some great football and results
  • Options

He has looked steadier recently but In all honesty can't see him being a Championship player in two years time , League One at best another Grant Basey
    At one stage in the space of 5 mins in the second half he gave the ball away 3 times rather cheaply and that will get overlooked because as a team , that he clearly is a part of , we are producing some great football and results

I see the comparison with Basey but think he is more dedicated than Basey allegedly was which might make the difference.

Pace (or lack of it) is so important at the higher levels of the modern game.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Pace (or lack of it) is so important at the higher levels of the modern game.
    I don't know, Bobby Moore didn't do too badly without too much pace. Morgan's problem is not lack of pace, except on the turn. Once he gets going he's fast enough. And I would guess that at some point he realised this after being skinned a couple of times, and has adapted his game to cope with it. I've always said he seems a strong character, not overawed by the senior players and looking for advice to improve his game. Think of Pat Rice, not hugely talented, but by sheer hard work made himself into a top FB.

• Options
    Bobby Moore....Pat Rice....hardly the 'modern' game, not great examples there
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Does this mean Morgan Fox can borrow Lawrie Wilson's song seeing as some on here were so quick to write him off a few months ago?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Morgan is neither shite or amazing. I'm not sure which but at a guess he's somewhere down the middle a Basey if you will...

Great minds as they say....