Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scotland v England

Comments

• two poor teams in a below par game. The fact that it was England v Scotland made it bearable and the win was terrific. Rooney was excellent.
    Agree with the ANthem comments, both countries should have their own
  • Good performance but need to remember we were playing a team one level up from San Marino!

Ha! Take that Krankies!
  • two poor teams in a below par game. The fact that it was England v Scotland made it bearable and the win was terrific. Rooney was excellent.

Didn't think we looked poor at all, Infact it was one of the best England performances in a long time.

Strachan had just said we were the best to have played them in a long long time.
  • Good performance but need to remember we were playing a team one level up from San Marino!

Ha! Take that Krankies!

Yeah cause weve set the world alight the last 25 years

Its a huge step in the right direction being able to lift it in these heated games.

• PL54 said:

And still boo the Queen's anthem

I can understand why. It is their anthem as much as ours so really we have no right to claim it. We should really choose another anthem.
    I'm assuming this is a wind up, because if it isn't I really have no words......

Stop it, England a poor team and that a below par game my arse.

• Thought it was a good game, a club game rather than an international one. An average prem team against an average championship team, but entertaining none the less and great application and desire from the players. Rooney looked a leader out there and Wilshire made it look a training exercise at times.

• DRAddick said:

PL54 said:

I can understand why. It is their anthem as much as ours so really we have no right to claim it. We should really choose another anthem.
    One of those posts where not sure whether to lol it for the sarcasm or the stupidity.

Why's that stupid? "God Save The Queen" is the national anthem of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It is not just for England. England has no official national anthem of its own, and that's why I say that we should choose one.

It makes me cringe a bit to hear the English fans singing 'Rule Britannia' too. I don't think it is done 'tongue in cheek' either - I think it's just plain ignorance.
  • We have chosen, we chose gstq.
  • PL54 said:

it's a shit anthem, but for Great Britain it should still be the national anthem. But for England it should be Jerusalem. Imagine 80,000 at wembley singing that! Would send shivers down the spine in that 2nd verse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Behave Jimmy.

Can we talk about the football please chaps rather try and turn yet another thread into an inflammatory one, ta
  • God Save The Queen - the Welsh and Scots can sing it anytime they like.
  • My Mum managed to sleep through most of it, so England must have been doing something right.

It's not minnows like Scotland we need to be performing against but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Shocked by the home fans, poor, very poor, or was it just well placed mic's?

• DRAddick said:

PL54 said:

One of those posts where not sure whether to lol it for the sarcasm or the stupidity.

Why's that stupid? "God Save The Queen" is the national anthem of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It is not just for England. England has no official national anthem of its own, and that's why I say that we should choose one.

It makes me cringe a bit to hear the English fans singing 'Rule Britannia' too. I don't think it is done 'tongue in cheek' either - I think it's just plain ignorance.

The suggestion that they're booing it because we're claiming it as our own is what's stupid. Believe me, that reason isn't even a remote consideration for them.
  • Behave Jimmy.

Can we talk about the football please chaps rather try and turn yet another thread into an inflammatory one, ta

I haven't said anything inflammatory. I think the reply made to my first post matches this description but not my post itself.
    And I think it's a relevant point for discussion.

Nevertheless, if you insist on this thread being only about the actual football then I will give my opinion. Sorry if you disagree with that!

I think that there is a huge over-reliance on 'pace' in the national outlook on the English international team. Some of these players who are picked for 'pace' just let the team down - Sterling was a good example of that tonight. Whenever we play one of the top teams 'pace' lets us down. We don't need 'pace.' Look at our third goal: excellent, crisp, short passes with a clever ball played through to Llanana who played it back nicely for Rooney to pop home. We have some nice players emerging who have good ball control, most notably Welbeck. Sterling , Oxade-Chamberlain, Walcott and especially Townsend do not fit the bill for international football of the highest order. What is needed are players who can control the ball quickly and play accurate passes. Welbeck and Llanana are our best two players. We also lack a decent partner for Cahill who himself is only just good enough, and we need to lose this obsession with 'pace.' If we can do those two things then we stand a fair chance of beating a top team in the Euros.

And whoever disagrees, fair enough, just don't say I'm stupid, being sarcastic, or use the dictionary too often. I'm turning this computer off now so I don't care anyway. Goodnight.
  • Poor teams in a below average game??? Ffs, I swear some people just criticise because it's England and criticising these 'overpaid spoilt footballers' is the done thing to do.

An experimental midfield wasn't as good as it could be but Wilshere controlled the game at times. Clyne was superb, Rooney different class, good to see the Ox causing problems, I've even got some praise for Welbeck who worked his nuts off.

Not many sides will go there and score 3 goals. If the third was scored by Spain or Argentina (who both lost tonight btw) then people would be creaming their pants. Brilliant team move.

4 wins from 4 in qualifying and just beat the sweatys in their own back yard. Roy and this improving squad could have gone backwards after that shocker of a World Cup but I think we might be finally going places with this crop of players. We've got a good mix, no superstars and there appears to be more of a togetherness.

This.
  • I thought that was a very encouraging performance, some of our attacking play was crisp and incisive, we actually had players who were running into space to receive the ball, the 3rd goal typifying this.
  • Sponsored links:

• That was brilliant. For a young side to go and quieten one of the most raucous atmospheres in international football, in a derby match, is no small matter.

And I know he always gets stick from England fans, but Wayne Rooney has been exceptional since taking the England armband. Playing like a proper leader and he actually seems more confident in himself on and off the pitch when representing the side than I expected him to be.
  • Loved wellbeck and his attitude, jocks thoufht a few tasty challenges and we would meet

We don't melt you sweatys we tear you a new one

Brilliant best England game in ages
  • Good to watch a comfortable victory against the sweaties
    Like playing a minor club , no real upside beating them except it keeps all their woodwork followers in the wood !

Thought I heard the 'no surrender to the IRA' chant first half as well
  • The IRA weren't Scottish were they?
  • It was like a FA Cup game where a decent Championship side, hyped up crowd who then gets picked off for fun by a Premier League team
  • Thought it was a predictable match - English Premier League side versus Scottish Championship team. No surprise at the result in the circumstances. Scotland are playing much better under Strachan and competing well in a difficult European group so are a touch better than San Marino.

God save the Queen was repeatedly sung by the England fans because the match at Parkhead and because they know the Scots hate it because it contains the offensive verse about "rebellious Scots to crush" if you didn't know and some on here obviously don't. If England came up with a new anthem, I reckon most would gobble it up because God Save the Queen is a dirge (Her Majesty deserves something better!).
  • Lord grant that Marshall Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victlry bring
    May he sadation hush
    And like a torrent rush
    Rebellious Scotts to crush
    God save the King.

Words still say King as Queen dropped the verse.