Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scotland v England

Comments

• Options
    I like God save the Queen & am proud to sing it
  • Options
    Good performance from England against a team full of passion and limited ability. Its a bit hard to gauge if we have move forward but its five in a row now and we can only beat whats in front of us. I enjoyed the game, two teams who wanted to play and give it a go. Not a European game of chess.
    The only down side for me is that awful school band with 3 tunes.
  • Options

Poor teams in a below average game??? Ffs, I swear some people just criticise because it's England and criticising these 'overpaid spoilt footballers' is the done thing to do.

An experimental midfield wasn't as good as it could be but Wilshere controlled the game at times. Clyne was superb, Rooney different class, good to see the Ox causing problems, I've even got some praise for Welbeck who worked his nuts off.

Not many sides will go there and score 3 goals. If the third was scored by Spain or Argentina (who both lost tonight btw) then people would be creaming their pants. Brilliant team move.

4 wins from 4 in qualifying and just beat the sweatys in their own back yard. Roy and this improving squad could have gone backwards after that shocker of a World Cup but I think we might be finally going places with this crop of players. We've got a good mix, no superstars and there appears to be more of a togetherness.

A little OTT. That Scotland team is poor. We looked good, but come on, Scotland would struggle in the Championship, we should look good.

We seem to be over excited because we're so used to a poor display that tonight actually bucked the trend a little. There is plenty of promise, but until we can impose ourselves on Italy, Germany, Brazil etc then let's not go overboard.

As for the two teams you mentioned who lost....Spain lost to Germany, the best team in the world, 1-0. Meanwhile Argentina lost to Portugal 1-0, a last gasp winner in what was apparently a half hearted game.
  • Options
    If Germany are the best team in the world and they've got the same amount of points as Scotland, perhaps the Scottish team isn't that poor?
  • Options
    Really enjoyed watching last night. Was very impressed with Clyne at rb, thought Wiltshire was better than usual (and what a pass for the goal, nearly hit another to Wellbeck with his left), Wellbeck did well up front and seemed up for it, great header from Rooney for his first and Chamberlain looked a threat all game.

Tactics worked well, I couldnt see it when the 11 was announced. Crowd was lively, plenty of tough but fair tackles.

Best England game for a fair while for me.
  • Options
    Enjoyed that, but then I'm not as depressive over all England games like a lot of people are. The occasion may have got to a few players early on as I didn't feel the quick passing and movement was quite there as it has been since the WC. Excellent in the second half though and didn't step backwards when they got their goal.

This though:
    cafctom said:

For a young side to go and quieten one of the most raucous atmospheres in international football, in a derby match, is no small matter.

is quite the hyperbole, do you write for a tabloid by any chance?
  • Options
    Last nights game highlighted what I think has been known for many years now, that Scottish football is way below a standard even we can come up with. It was mentioned a few times in the media about Premiership class v Championship class (or men against boys a la Lineker...) and I thought that also.
    As for England, the best performance I have watched in absolutely ages. Unfortunately everyone else at the big table play to Premiership class and some.
  • Options
    I will not be satisfied until we beat every team outside the top ten in the world by seven goals or more, and win the world cup and European championship without conceding a single goal. Fives time in a row.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Enjoyed that, but then I'm not as depressive over all England games like a lot of people are. The occasion may have got to a few players early on as I didn't feel the quick passing and movement was quite there as it has been since the WC. Excellent in the second half though and didn't step backwards when they got their goal.

This though:

cafctom said:

For a young side to go and quieten one of the most raucous atmospheres in international football, in a derby match, is no small matter.

The Guardian. You should know that.

Care to explain what part of what I said was hyperbole?
  • Options

I will not be satisfied until we beat every team outside the top ten in the world by seven goals or more, and win the world cup and European championship without conceding a single goal. Fives time in a row.

typical england supporter, always lowering expectations when we have world class players that should be winning by 10 goals or more.

Hodgson out etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrific game, good old 'British' football, pacey and passionate and surprisingly skilful .. an aside .. why can't England play at the same tempo against other teams? .. England always seems to start slowly and to try to match the opposition at their own game .. anyway, the average age of the England team last night was around 24 .. the 4 3 3 worked well and the much derided and abused Wayne Rooney was terrific, both as player and captain.
  • Options
    There's no doubt Scotland are a poor side, but we've played poor sides recently and sometimes looked little better ourselves.

Last night was different.

In Clyne we have a right - back at last, and Gibbs should start on the left. Wilshere has adapted to his deeper role and has run things in midfield for the last couple of games. On the Slovenia thread I said Rooney would be the first name on my teamsheet:last night compounded that opinion . I thought he was inspirational.

I am cautiously optimistic for the future...

• Options
    cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

This though:

cafctom said:

"one of the most raucous atmospheres in international football"

Maybe in Britain but I could name at least 10 others that would be louder and more intimidating than the Scots last night.
  • Options
    What a day and evening. That is the England we love.
  • Options

Fck mine, how many poor/average championships sides would beat Ireland, get a fckin great draw in Poland (check their form) and get narrowly beat by The World Champions..

True enough, but last night they were poor:Period.
    Still plenty of time for them to make their customary pig's ear of the qualifiers.

• Options
    DRAddick said:

PL54 said:

And still boo the Queen's anthem

I can understand why. It is their anthem as much as ours so really we have no right to claim it. We should really choose another anthem.
    One of those posts where not sure whether to lol it for the sarcasm or the stupidity.

Why is it stupid?

GSTQ is the British anthem so should be used when Great Britain are playing or represented.

England were playing last night and should have a national song to represent England on such occasions.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

PL54 said:

I can understand why. It is their anthem as much as ours so really we have no right to claim it. We should really choose another anthem.
    One of those posts where not sure whether to lol it for the sarcasm or the stupidity.

Why is it stupid?

GSTQ is the British anthem so should be used when Great Britain are playing or represented.

England were playing last night and should have a national song to represent England on such occasions.
    GSTQ is the National anthem of England - unless I have missed something ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Apparently the atmosphere was compariable with the legendary millwall v Huddersfield playoff game!

True, I believe a world renowned and truly respected journalist, can't remember his name, will have to rewrite the record books on this? But I guess the Spanners v Uddersfield game remains top.
  • Options
    Now just have to produce the same result against Spain, Holland, Germany, France etc. Should be straightforward enough. I mean if England can beat Scotland with all it's footballing resources and huge population there shouldn't be any problem, should there?

What?
  • Options

Now just have to produce the same result against Spain, Holland, Germany, France etc. Should be straightforward enough. I mean if England can beat Scotland with all it's footballing resources and huge population there shouldn't be any problem, should there?

What?

• Options

DRAddick said:

PL54 said:

Why is it stupid?

As I responded in a later post.....The suggestion that the Scots were booing because we take the anthem as our own and they are somehow protesting that it's theirs as well, is the stupidity. Not the fact that England should have a different one, which I agree with.

Overall I think we played well. Still lots of silly mistakes, especially misplaced passes, but some lovely football at times and decent work rate and effort. Our first goal was quality but the 3rd was simply outstanding football.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

This though:

cafctom said:

Maybe in Britain but I could name at least 10 others that would be louder and more intimidating than the Scots last night.
    Ten countries? Go on then.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

DRAddick said:

PL54 said:

Why is it stupid?

Nope, it's the British national anthem

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/NationalAnthem.aspx

• Options
    I'll have a go...

1. Papua New Guinea
    2. Faroe Islands
    3. Kingdom of Lesotho
    4. Pitcairn Islands

Rubbish of course but I thought I'd engage in one more pointless argument on CL.

;0)
  • Options

PL54 said:

DRAddick said:

PL54 said:

Why is it stupid?

Nope, it's the British national anthem

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/NationalAnthem.aspx

I agree it is the British anthem and that is why it is used at The Olympics etc

It is also the English anthem and that is why it was used last night etc
  • Options
    cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

This though:

cafctom said:

Ten countries? Go on then.
    Argentina, Uruguay (in fact most South American countries), Mexico, Serbia, Russia, Holland, Italy, Poland, South Korea, DR Congo (again plenty of African countries).

Go on time to pick holes in my response.
  • Options
    3.God bless our native land,
    May heaven's protective hand
    Still guard our shore
    May peace her power extend
    Foe be transformed to friend
    And Britain's power depend
    On war no more.

4.May just and righteous laws
    Uphold the public cause
    And bless our isle.
    Home of the brave and free
    Fair land and liberty
    We pray that still on thee
    Kind heaven may smile.

The above are verses 3 and 4 of the National Anthem .. far more appropriate in the 21st Century than a plea to God to 'save' one aging lady however dear to some of our hearts she may be .. I did not reprint the defunct verse about General Wade and a plea for him to defeat the Scots