Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scotland v England

Comments

• Options

3.God bless our native land,
    May heaven's protective hand
    Still guard our shore
    May peace her power extend
    Foe be transformed to friend
    And Britain's power depend
    On war no more.

4.May just and righteous laws
    Uphold the public cause
    And bless our isle.
    Home of the brave and free
    Fair land and liberty
    We pray that still on thee
    Kind heaven may smile.

The above are verses 3 and 4 of the National Anthem .. far more appropriate in the 21st Century than a plea to God to 'save' one aging lady however dear to some of our hearts she may be .. I did not reprint the defunct verse about General Wade and a plea for him to defeat the Scots

So you want us to sing God Save The Queen without the words God Save The Queen ?
  • Options
    Stood to attention reading that (yes, I do mean I got to my feet...)
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Still guard our shore
    On war no more.

Uphold the public cause
    And bless our isle.
    Fair land and liberty
    Kind heaven may smile.

The above are verses 3 and 4 of the National Anthem .. far more appropriate in the 21st Century than a plea to God to 'save' one aging lady however dear to some of our hearts she may be .. I did not reprint the defunct verse about General Wade and a plea for him to defeat the Scots

So you want us to sing God Save The Queen without the words God Save The Queen ?
    yes .. the Anthem should be renamed 'God Save Our Land'
  • Options
    Would not agree with Holland. Shit home support two times I've been with England. The rest all seem reasonable though.
  • Options

PL54 said:

Still guard our shore
    On war no more.

Uphold the public cause
    And bless our isle.
    Fair land and liberty
    Kind heaven may smile.

not 'God bless our native land' as per the lyrics ?
  • Options
    Having lived through thousands of Scots in London for the Home Internationals and getting home in one piece after being at Wembley when we stuffed them 5-1, it's still great to beat the sweatys .We should play them every year instead of meaningless freindlies
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Still guard our shore
    On war no more.

Uphold the public cause
    And bless our isle.
    Fair land and liberty
    Kind heaven may smile.

not 'God bless our native land' as per the lyrics ?</blockquote

whatever, 'God Bless Our Native Land' is a better title perhaps
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    New verse six

Lord grant that Woy Hodgson
    May by some miracle
    Victory bring.
    Made he Parkhead to hush,
    And like Wayne Rooney rush,
    Rebellious Jocks to crush.
    God save the Land!
  • Options

Would not agree with Holland. Shit home support two times I've been with England. The rest all seem reasonable though.

Hmm yeah fair point, I was probably thinking more about when they are at a tournament.
  • Options
    Plenty of Charlton around Glasgow yesterday.
    Glad to see the ill-informed media shite about trouble was predictably innacurate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014
    colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

Enjoyed that, but then I'm not as depressive over all England games like a lot of people are. The occasion may have got to a few players early on as I didn't feel the quick passing and movement was quite there as it has been since the WC. Excellent in the second half though and didn't step backwards when they got their goal.

This though:

cafctom said:

For a young side to go and quieten one of the most raucous atmospheres in international football, in a derby match, is no small matter.

is quite the hyperbole, do you write for a tabloid by any chance?
    The Guardian. You should know that.

Care to explain what part of what I said was hyperbole?
    "one of the most raucous atmospheres in international football"

Maybe in Britain but I could name at least 10 others that would be louder and more intimidating than the Scots last night.
    Ten countries? Go on then.
    Argentina, Uruguay (in fact most South American countries), Mexico, Serbia, Russia, Holland, Italy, Poland, South Korea, DR Congo (again plenty of African countries).

Go on time to pick holes in my response.
    No Turkey? :O ;- )
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

Enjoyed that, but then I'm not as depressive over all England games like a lot of people are. The occasion may have got to a few players early on as I didn't feel the quick passing and movement was quite there as it has been since the WC. Excellent in the second half though and didn't step backwards when they got their goal.

This though:

cafctom said:

For a young side to go and quieten one of the most raucous atmospheres in international football, in a derby match, is no small matter.

Maybe in Britain but I could name at least 10 others that would be louder and more intimidating than the Scots last night.
    Argentina, Uruguay (in fact most South American countries), Mexico, Serbia, Russia, Holland, Italy, Poland, South Korea, DR Congo (again plenty of African countries).

No Turkey? :O ;- )
    Ok replace Holland with Turkey.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

This though:

cafctom said:

Was it that intimidating when we played Poland a couple of years back? I don't remember there being much atmosphere during the match. Could be wrong.

Holland - absolutely not.

Italy, Mexico, South Korea aren't going to be drawing an intimidating atmosphere like last night's if they were to play England. When they play their own rivals maybe, but thats not relevant to the point I was making. Big crowds maybe, but not the same edge as the first Auld Enemy game in Scotland for 15 years.

DR Congo - How on earth did I not think of that one?

Think you're just looking to pick an argument pal.
  • Options
    Im not sure about South Korea. Don't they use them poxy plastic clapper things and screech when someone steps over the half way line? And Africans blowing on vuvuzuela's, cant be having that either.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

This though:

cafctom said:

Was it that intimidating when we played Poland a couple of years back? I don't remember there being much atmosphere. Could be wrong.

Italy, Mexico, South Korea aren't going to be drawing an intimidating atmosphere like last night's if they were to play England. When they play their own rivals maybe, but thats not relevant to the point I was making. Big crowds maybe, but not the same edge as the first Auld Enemy game in Scotland for 15 years.

Not at all pal, I've named national fans that would be louder than the Scots, if I was to name some of the derbies in international football I could easily name 10 as well (I'm not going to). It is a massive over exaggeration to say that was one of the most raucous atmospheres in world football. It just isn't.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Was there last night. Pissed as a fart on the segregation line. Great banter with the sweatys. Being on the wrong end of 'jimmy saville, he's one of your own' made me feel sick. But we gave as good as we got to be fair. Good performance overall.

• Options
    If the Jocks were 1-0 then it would have been very loud and intimidating.

But they weren't, their bubble burst pretty early on, all of the countries listed would be a shit atmosphere if they were 1-0, 2-0 down.

Only one country would be a shit atmosphere if they were 1-0 or 2-0 up ................................:)
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

This though:

cafctom said:

Was it that intimidating when we played Poland a couple of years back? I don't remember there being much atmosphere. Could be wrong.

Not at all pal, I've named national fans that would be louder than the Scots, if I was to name some of the derbies in international football I could easily name 10 as well (I'm not going to). It is a massive over exaggeration to say that was one of the most raucous atmospheres in world football. It just isn't.
    Your idea of an intimidating and loud game is DR Congo vs South Korea, mate. Best stay at home on Saturday - might be too much.
  • Options

Having lived through thousands of Scots in London for the Home Internationals and getting home in one piece after being at Wembley when we stuffed them 5-1, it's still great to beat the sweatys .We should play them every year instead of meaningless freindlies

every two years would do for me .. can have too much of a good thing
  • Options

Plenty of Charlton around Glasgow yesterday.
    Glad to see the ill-informed media shite about trouble was predictably innacurate.

Saw 2 flags in the ground, did not bring mine with me. I know of at least 10 Cafc up there plenty more go regularly as well.

Which tier were you in Upper or Lower?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

cafctom said:

colthe3rd said:

This though:

cafctom said:

Your idea of an intimidating and loud game is DR Congo vs South Korea, mate. Best stay at home on Saturday - might be too much.
    Great twisting of words there pal.
  • Options
    The infamously intimidating atmosphere's of South Korea...
  • Options
    He said raucous, "making or constituting a disturbingly harsh and loud noise." They are extremely loud fans in South Korea.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

He said raucous, "making or constituting a disturbingly harsh and loud noise." They are extremely loud fans in South Korea.

He did say raucous, but i think most of us knew he meant it as in the intimidating sense rather than a load of screaming teenagers.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

He did say raucous, but i think most of us knew he meant it as in the intimidating sense rather than a load of screaming teenagers.
    Unlike the users on here to be ambiguous.

As much as people want to mock my South Korea suggestion, my point about that match not being one of the most intimidating is still very much true.
  • Options
    Because of the early lead to England.
    If they would have went 1-0 up it would have gone fckin ballistic.
  • Options
    Maybe to clear up this national anthem argument, they should have 'Flower of Scotland' and we should have 'Fuck the IRA'.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Maybe to clear up this national anthem argument, they should have 'Flower of Scotland' and we should have 'Fuck the IRA'.

Yep that's cleared it up, everybody will now move along
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Unlike the users on here to be ambiguous.

As much as people want to mock my South Korea suggestion, my point about that match not being one of the most intimidating is still very much true.
    Its a football forum FFS, not a lecture theater.

I'll be sure to have my thesaurus to hand the next time the mighty Colthe3rd wades in with his next edition International Football Factories.