Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sri Lanka v England ODI Series

Comments

• Options
    We've all said it on here and we know the main issue. How the selectors can commit to a player being a fixture in a spot that dictates the tempo of the team when he has just one 50 in the last 18 months (in 23 ODIs) beggars belief.

For all the reservations about Morgan he does do it, albeit not as often now as we would like, whereas Cook simply never has. And who at the top of these batting line ups do the selectors feel the opposition would fear most?

Hales/Cook
    Ali
    Taylor
    Root
    Bopara
    Morgan
    Buttler

One will either get out early or use up valuable time in the batting power play. The other will either get out, or get a very quick 20 or 30 or even produce a match winning knock at a run a ball or less.
  • Options
    Absolute garbage. Cook and Morgan look lost. Even if he hangs around Cook doesn't score quickly enough for ODI cricket. At least with Hales you know that if he gets in he will score quickly.

Extras are also becoming an issue again. 8 wides in the innings to Sri Lanka's 1.
  • Options
    On form, neither Cook or Morgan are playing well. Why are some players undroppable? Morgan has not been playing well for a while now. Enough has been said about Cook as a batsman and Captain.
    We can do well at the World Cup if only they would swallow a couple of bitter pills.
    Hales, Moeen Ali, Taylor, Root, Bopara, Vince, Butler, Broad, Woakes, Tredwell, Anderson.
  • Options
    Isn't it all down to money and central contracts? Cook has a central contract and gets paid anyway, playing or not.

Does bringing in newer and younger players that aren't on a contract, cost more?
  • Options

Isn't it all down to money and central contracts? Cook has a central contract and gets paid anyway, playing or not.

Does bringing in newer and younger players that aren't on a contract, cost more?

Nah, you can play for England and not be on a central contract. They'll just get their appearance money.
  • Options
    Apparently Cook's position is up for review after the series finishes. I think the selectors have seen the light at last. I'd put money on Cook choosing to resign before he's pushed.
  • Options

Nah, you can play for England and not be on a central contract. They'll just get their appearance money.
    I think that was the point @Hornchurch was making. Are they playing Cook because it's cheaper than paying extra money to play another player?

To be honest I really doubt it but it's worth thinking about I suppose.
  • Options
    I was asking the question. I don't the answer. How much does a contracted player get? Are they all the same? Do they then get appearance money, on top, too?

I can't believe the numbers are big enough or the ECB struggling, financially.
  • Options

I think that was the point @Hornchurch was making. Are they playing Cook because it's cheaper than paying extra money to play another player?

To be honest I really doubt it but it's worth thinking about I suppose.
    You cant seriously tell/ask me they are playing Cook instead of someone else because of money ?!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Such joy..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30463310

When does he realise that we(the people who ultimately pay his wages) dont want him in the team?.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peter Moores has come out and said that is not Cook's decision.
  • Options
    Cook gets more and more like the character in the 'Peanuts' cartoon strip, the one who walks around with his own rain cloud hovering over him and no-one else .. no runs, poor captaincy, dropped dolly catches .. time to take a rest Alastair
  • Options

Cook gets more and more like the character in the 'Peanuts' cartoon strip, the one who walks around with his own rain cloud hovering over him and no-one else .. no runs, poor captaincy, dropped dolly catches .. time to take a rest Alastair

Apologies if I've got this wrong or if I've been whooshed here, but wasn't the kid with a cloud in Peanuts just a dirty kid?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ^^^^ You're right M'lud .. extensive research reveals that the Peanuts character was poor little PigPEN .. my 'man' Joe Btfsplk was a feature of the more obscure 'Lil Abner' cartoon strip ((:>)

and here he is ..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk

• Options

^^^^ You're right M'lud .. extensive research reveals that the Peanuts character was poor little PigPEN .. my 'man' Joe Btfsplk was a feature of the more obscure 'Lil Abner' cartoon strip ((:>)

and here he is ..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk

Cool! Never heard of Joe Btfsplk before, but now I'm glad you've enlightened me. Oh, the things we learn on Charlton Life eh?
    :-)
  • Options
    Last ODI this morning. Finn dropped for Gurney, Bopara dropped for Hales. Pundits have no idea what order England are going to line up in with Cook, Ali, Hales, Root all capable of opening alongside Taylor and Morgan.

Seems bizarre to drop our number 6 - all rounder and innings finisher - to accomodate Cook, effectively. Hey ho.
  • Options
    Downton gave the biggest indicator this morning that Cook stays, come what may, as captain for the World Cup. All based on past glories and the fact that this is "his" team. As if either of those factors are sufficient for him to keep his place in the side!
  • Options
    Leading wicket takers of the series:

Woakes 14
    Mendis 9
    Dilshan 9
    Jordan 8
  • Options
    Treders targetted - hit for 14 in three balls.

53-0 off 7
  • Options
    Need to take a couple of wickets quickly. Bad start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2014
    VERY NEXT BALL

Jayawardene hooks Gurney to fine leg. I didn't realise my curse worked on every team...

55-1, 8 overs.
  • Options
    Sangakkara has played 48 matches this calendar year, batted 56 times and scored a record 2837 runs at an average of 55.60.

If he's retiring about a year like that, do you reckon it's at the forefront of Cook's mind too?
  • Options
    Drinks at 104-1 off 19.

Nothing in the conditions and would expect SL to post around 320.
  • Options
    Ridiculous how Cook is still playing.

I like the bloke, and I'm 100% behind him in test cricket, but this is just a farce in one day cricket now. He is not a one day batsman, or captain.
  • Options
    120-2, 23.5 overs
    Sangakkara out for 33
  • Options
    Sangakkara is caught off a full bunger from Ali by Treders for 33. Goes off to a standing ovation in what is probably his last ODI on home soil.

120-2 off 23.5
  • Options
    156-3

Ali bowls Mathews for 20 with a quick straight one.
  • Options
    Why drop Bopara? Grossly unfair that. Cook/Morgs way less deserving of a place.

• Options
    Big_Bob said:

The selectords are probably justifying the decision, in their own heads and without reference to the form of Cook and Morgan, that they haven't been bowling Bopara in SL. For the balance of the team in Australia, where we won't be bowling three spinners, his involvement could, however, be invaluable.

The cynic in me says that perhaps Cook thinks, if he doesn't bowl Bopara and he also doesn't get a big score, it's easier to drop him ;-(
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

Prob determined that Bopara is almost a shoe-in for the side and therefore giving others an opportunity.
    I wonder if we'll see another Cook failure with the bat? - they're certainly giving him enough opportunies to score the score that will keep him in the team for another 10 failures with the bat.