Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich.: Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Just to make matters worse I had us to draw in every bet I've had today... One of them would have just needed Chelsea, PSG and Madrid for 145 quid
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Just to make matters worse I had us to draw in every bet I've had today... One of them would have just needed Chelsea, PSG and Madrid for 145 quid

The moral of that is never bet on Charlton.
  • Options
    Typical charlton sky game show what we can do and miss a pile of chances. Sit back last five allow them to come on and get done. When will our management understand we need 2 quality strikers not just 1 and a crafted midfield player. Until this happens we will be just where we are mid table and mediocre.
  • Options
    a couple of things stood out for me today

1- we messed up by not getting a forward(I know its obvious) but if Igor struggles in a game like today we wont score

2- we need to stop playing Guddy on the right all he does is cuts in, and if it works like it did against Millwall it looks good, but Ipswich new how to deal with it, and he also had a great chance in the 2nd half, if it was a right footed player he would of smashed it first time, but again he tried to cut inside and it cost us the chance
  • Options
    Posting without Tattoos

Bugger,
    Bugger,
    Bugger.

Looked good first half but didn't take the chances and didn't really work their keeper.

Thought we handed the initiative to them when we took the boy Harriot off. His pace, skill and hard work had given them problems all day.

We went to a more conventional 442 and Ipswich moved 15 yards up the pitch. They had all the late pressure and scored.

As said before very close division this one. Not much between the two sides but they took a chance. We weren't rubbish just not quite good enough to beat a decent, hardworking Ipswich team.

Harriot and L'coq Sportif stood out.

Igor off the pace, JJ busy, cousins did well, Gud was gud first half but wasted good chances and faded.

Oh for another striker but as someone on her said "bumpy ride"

UTA
  • Options
    Bob needs this guy................

• Options
    McCarthy's done us yet again. Although we had most of the play, we created very few good chances, which is credit to their defence.

Popey deserved a clean sheet from his performance. He and Harriott were the best performers today. Just wasn't Igor's day and am surprised that Callum was taken off instead of him.

Some class moments from JBG today but once again I find myself asking if he's really a wide player.
  • Options
    Posting without stamps

Very annoying, but that's football I suppose. Desperately need some quality to allow Igor to recharge and need to hit a few first time shots
  • Options
    McCarthy's done us yet again. Although we had most of the play, we created very few good chances, which is credit to their defence.

Popey deserved a clean sheet from his performance. He and Harriott were the best performers today. Just wasn't Igor's day and am surprised that Callum was taken off instead of him.

Some class moments from JBG today but once again I find myself asking if he's really a wide player.
  • Options
    Played some decent football and created more and better chances against a team that are better than us, but could still be playing and not score. Vetokele didn't have his shooting boots on and that means we're unlikely to score. Disappointing but we're not as good as some want to think we are and we're gonna have several more frustrating results. 1 or 2 players, (or different decisions with x players) would have made a huge difference over the course of the season.

Avoiding relegation is the goal this season and so far that looks like being achieved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apart from not being able to put the ball in the net, I thought we played well.

Vetokele first touch was off today but thought him and Harriott linked up quit well.

Gudmundsson is an absolute class player, but needs to use his right foot a bit more. A couple of times he could have got off a shot, but decided to cut in on his left.

Poor clearance from Fox but thought he had an alright game, wasn't his fault we lost, it was the lack of goals up the other end.
  • Options
    Gutted with result today. Igor desperately needs a target man partner and then I honestly believe we're serious play off candidates. It's all coming together except that final ball. Why did we change ends today and end the game attacking the away end? I always feel we play better at home second half as we attack toward our home support
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Gutted with result today. Igor desperately needs a target man partner and then I honestly believe we're serious play off candidates. It's all coming together except that final ball. Why did we change ends today and end the game attacking the away end? I always feel we play better at home second half as we attack toward our home support

The sun was really blinding towards the North stand today so I guess we stuck their goalie there for the first half hoping it would improve for the 2nd half for Pope.
  • Options
    Gutted like everyone else. Not sure Ipswich deserved their smash and grab but they looked quality and took their chance, we didn't. :(
    Thought we played an awful lot better than against Millwall, but currently we don't look like we are ever going to score. It says a lot that our best shot was from Solly.
    Ah well.... could be worse
  • Options
    Posting before reading other perspectives.
    Ipswich deserved their win just as we would have deserved it had we scored late on. Ipswich were well supported, well managed and kept at it throughout, just as we did. Their bloke took his goal well, utter drag of a result, but the game generally was good, as was most aspects of our play. Sometimes chite happens, and the Ipswich fans ought to be thrilled by the result, as we would have been...but it is their day.
    The stark reality is we need to finish the chances our sometimes excellent play deserves. Callum was a threat in the first half especially, and Igor played better than last week, but....no goals....again. It is weird because we really played well, showed loads of skill, good interplay, nice control, good teamwork...but...big sigh.
    Pope was excellent, the defence were very good, maybe we were strangely balanced yet a little disjointed in midfield but none of our players were bad...big sigh again, and a shrug, want to say that's the way it goes, but will only end up sighing.
    One point from the last two home games is a paltry return, and to rescue this season a bit we need to embark on a genuine run. We don't need massive reconfiguration, but we could do with a bit of a lift from somewhere.
  • Options
    Thought we played well. Draw would have been the fair result. Also thought Fox played well. Would rather Piggot came on than George.
  • Options

If we can get Coquelin and a good 2nd striker, which was all that was missing today, then we will be a very good team. Despite todays's result this is a team that is progressing.
  • Options
    Posting without a fence.
    More positives than negatives today.
    We dont look like relegation fodder, we were passing as well as I can remember and it feels like we are a couple of cogs away from the play offs this season.
  • Options
    So Ipswich bring in a striker on loan and he scores the winner.We do not bring in a striker on loan because apparently there was nobody good enough available.
    Something does not add up there I think.
    I expect we will be in the bottom half of the table by January and RD will not have to pay out for a striker any more. Could be our season is over already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really good game to watch, except for the very scrappy 15 minutes after half time. We certainly didn't deserve to lose but our failure to keep possession in the last 10 minutes cost us dear. Very good approach play but still lacking that crucial cutting edge in front of goal - even Igor messed up a couple of decent chances today.

Positives - Coq was excellent and it's the best I've seen Callum play for many a month. He seems to be responding well to feedback and coaching, playing more thoughtfully than just relying on instinct.

Totally pissed off that we lost that, but not disheartened at the quality of performance overall.
  • Options
    Well, that's the best I've seen us play this season. Didn't see the Wigan and Derby games. Some of our approach play was outstanding in the first half. One goal was always going to win it and I'm gutted that we didn't get it. Looking at some of the stats on my Sky Sports App, we only put in 3 crosses out of 22 opportunities and that's the problem. We don't get the ball into the danger areas enough during the games.
  • Options
    Anyone else see Wilson 'headbutt' their big left back near the end?
  • Options
    We really need to look to win games especially at home. TBH wasn't coming up for corners with 15 left and we had three vs one at the back.
  • Options
    Better performance than last week, more chances - they weren't taken but at least we made them. Pope made some great saves and you could see him growing in confidence as the game went on, luckily given how much busier he was in the 2nd half. Igor clearly not fully fit or confident, Harriott looked better than he did vs Milwall but clearly unfamiliar in the striker's role.

All in all, more to be positive about than negative for me. The goal was unlucky, it fell in precisely the right place for Hunt to take a sweetly struck shot Pope had no chance with - can't say it was the result of anyone's error.

A striker is needed that much is clear, but Bob knows already and has said as much. I reckon there will be some fine tuning done in January and to be honest, I genuinely enjoyed 93 minutes of that game.
  • Options
    Gutted.

First half was excellent but showed loud and clear that we need a strike partner for Igor. Thought our passing game outplayed Ipswich who just wanted to play hoofball - well outplayed until we got near the box then we just couldn't get the ball near.

Second half scrappier - less passing play and we seemed to lose our consistency. Just weren't solid.

The loss I blame totally on Bulot, who, rather than kicking the ball off to the side, kicked it over the back line, yielding a corner. The play that ensued led to the fateful goal. We could have hung on for a draw otherwise.

That final screw up excepted, we acquitted us as well as we could, bearing in mind the lack of a striker - which is hardly the teams fault.

Thought Harriot and Fox played well, Solly and Gudmunsson put a shift in and as ever, Bikey and Ben Haim were solid in defence. Pope also did well - a lot of good saves - can't be blamed for the Ipswich winner.

That's my two penn'orth, anyhow.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Better performance than last week, more chances - they weren't taken but at least we made them. Pope made some great saves and you could see him growing in confidence as the game went on, luckily given how much busier he was in the 2nd half. Igor clearly not fully fit or confident, Harriott looked better than he did vs Milwall but clearly unfamiliar in the striker's role.

All in all, more to be positive about than negative for me. The goal was unlucky, it fell in precisely the right place for Hunt to take a sweetly struck shot Pope had no chance with - can't say it was the result of anyone's error.

A striker is needed that much is clear, but Bob knows already and has said as much. I reckon there will be some fine tuning done in January and to be honest, I genuinely enjoyed 93 minutes of that game.

It doesn't really matter what Bob knows,it is the owner's failure to act on what we all know that matters. We have needed another striker for months.Ipswich got one in this week and he scored the winner.
    Some of the football was good today,but without goals none of it matters in the end.
  • Options
    defeat snatched from the jaws of, if not victory, the better of a tight game