Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich.: Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Was at the match but have just plucked up the courage to watch the tv rerun. During the whole match there were some good shots, which were often cancelled out by good saves, on both sides. In the end, as is often the case, the result was settled by a fairly "powder-puff" shot and not a powerfully hit strike. Still as I said at the final whistle, "what goes around,etc" this has been noted by a few other posters.

I am not going to pass on any "pearls of wisdom" to Bob, because he has far more knowledge of the game than I will ever have. Unfortunately, our saviour in many previous games, I.V., of course, was slightly off tune today. Hope we get back to winning ways next week.
  • Options
    Can't remember the last time I was so gutted after a game and that in a way is a good thing because I have come to expect more this season. It seemed our players were afraid to pull the trigger in front of goal and took too many touches otherwise we would have won by a street. Fair play to Mick McCathy who admitted they got lucky always been a top bloke Mick but this one really hurts and 1 point from two home games is disappointing.

Never mind onwards and upwards lets hope we can get another striker in during January
  • Options

Kap10 said:

16,800 official figure

Long time since we had so many gaps in the east and west Stand
    Big gaps in the upper north - possibly the emptiest it's been. Not surprising in all the circumstances of the game. The official attendance will be distorted by lots of comps, who wouldn't be in the upper north even if they attended. Don't blame the club for trying.

Season ticket holders who find it difficult to attend for health and distance reasons were bound to be tempted to stay at home. Three of our group were in that category.

Thought we played well and Harriott was a good call even though it didn't work out, but we all know what the problem is and can't be surprised by the outcome until this changes.
    Our players lack talent, Airman. Look again at Jordan Cousins, jumping to head an attacking corner. He leaps high and is on the way down as the ball sails over his bonce: It's simply bad technique. This is Carl Leaburn, all over again.

It's a daft conceit to think our academy players are anything special. Every single team we have played in the last two-and-a-half years has youth teams - from Barnsley to 'Boro - and they draw or win at The Valley because they are technically superior, physically stronger, and tactically more astute.

We have an owner who purses his lips, twitches the net curtains, fiddles over the budget sheet, and hires a manager who is younger than his captain. From Erith & Belvedere to Manchester City, the supporters demand skill, fire, gamble, danger, heroics and intelligence.

We have Jordan Cousins and Callum Harriott.
  • Options

Posting only cliches:

Daylight robbery
    If you don't score you don't win matches
    Sick as a parrot
    Losing to a team with a pair of Hunts
    Err..that's it.

You forgot "RD you are tearing the heart out of our club",
  • Options

Kap10 said:

16,800 official figure

Big gaps in the upper north - possibly the emptiest it's been. Not surprising in all the circumstances of the game. The official attendance will be distorted by lots of comps, who wouldn't be in the upper north even if they attended. Don't blame the club for trying.

Season ticket holders who find it difficult to attend for health and distance reasons were bound to be tempted to stay at home. Three of our group were in that category.

Thought we played well and Harriott was a good call even though it didn't work out, but we all know what the problem is and can't be surprised by the outcome until this changes.
    Our players lack talent, Airman. Look again at Jordan Cousins, jumping to head an attacking corner. He leaps high and is on the way down as the ball sails over his bonce: It's simply bad technique. This is Carl Leaburn, all over again.

It's a daft conceit to think our academy players are anything special. Every single team we have played in the last two-and-a-half years has youth teams - from Barnsley to 'Boro - and they draw or win at The Valley because they are technically superior, physically stronger, and tactically more astute.

We have an owner who purses his lips, twitches the net curtains, fiddles over the budget sheet, and hires a manager who is younger than his captain. From Erith & Belvedere to Manchester City, the supporters demand skill, fire, gamble, danger, heroics and intelligence.

Sorry - are we bottom or something?
  • Options

Kap10 said:

16,800 official figure

I accept the general principle of your post that the Club has a history of suggesting in publications and on websites that our youngsters will be good enough to play for PSG when the reality is all too often VCD but Cousins in particular and to a lesser extent Harriott have both demonstrated that they can compete more than adequately in this division and at the age of 20 apiece could yet make the Premiership, hopefully with us.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Watched the game in my local pub down here in Cornwall.

Regardless of the score, the game seemed to get better and better - thanks to a few pints of 'Proper Job'.

Recommended. It's the cure for dealing with all Charlton disappointment.

If you give Morgan Fox some will it make him better and better....?

:-----)
  • Options
    This may sound strange but I came away less disappointed than last week and a couple of other occasions this season despite the result. The reason being that I was thoroughly entertained. I actually struggled to go yesterday. I wasn't feeling well, the match time was thoroughly inconvenient given my other plans and I have been bored by our playing style (notwithstanding the fact that we are clearly making progress). We got a good game between two good teams, a decent referee for once, lots of goalmouth action and a inkling of hope that maybe our team and in particular our youngsters are headed in the right direction.

I was particularly encouraged by Cousins who I have been very critical of recently and Harriott who, whilst a bit brainless, really gave us some options yesterday. Pope too is coming along nicely. I'm afraid i'm in the Fox isn't up to this level camp although as a stand In he's doing a job for now. The negatives are that Gudmundsson is beginning to look like a superbly talented luxury and Vetokele is not fit and desperately needs a partner.

Poor crowd (16000 my arse!) but good noise and a pretty positive response to a harsh defeat. A feeling if perspective which may be no bad thing before we get carried away.

All in all, I enjoyed the game. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    I seem to remember BP that Roland had promised two 'quality' players for us in January if we were 'in touch' with the top half of the table. I fear by the time January comes round we may be looking over our shoulders at the bottom half. This chronic inability to score has been with us for weeks now. Have a think about it...every home game this season, the ones we have won... can you honestly say that you came away from The Valley thinking "Well, we certainly whipped them, played them off the park and never looked in any trouble!" No, of course you can't and that is the problem.
    Some of the football we played yesterday was excellent and I cannot fault the effort the lads put in. However, as the games go by (especially at home) and the goals tally remains at zero, the confidence and morale of the players - to say nothing of the fans - will inevitably decline...we just can't score!!! Igor - is he fully fit? The constant pre-match references as to whether he will be fit to play is becoming boring. Yesterday he looked up for it physically but his touch in front of goal was shocking...he had two gilt edged chances and snatched at both, all down to confidence I suppose. When you are playing well and the goals are flying in the goal seems as big as a barn but when you're not? We have to punish teams when we are on top and should have been at least two up at half time.
    At the end of the day we are practically toothless up front and unless Roland digs into his pocket we are destined to remain so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Regardless of the score, the game seemed to get better and better - thanks to a few pints of 'Proper Job'.

Love Proper Job, especially the bottled version.
  • Options
    Looks like a target man and adjarevic are needed. We are not clinical or creating enough shots on target. If we have more shots we will get a few in surely
  • Options

Looks like a target man and adjarevic are needed. We are not clinical or creating enough shots on target. If we have more shots we will get a few in surely

I don't think we need a midfielder who can only last 60 minutes.
  • Options

Very disappointing result, but one of our best performances so far under Bob Peeters. A draw would probably have been a fair result, but this was a game we could easily have won.

Peeters set up with what looked like a flexible 4-1-3-2 with Coquelin holding and Harriott up front alongside Vetokele.

Ipswich began strongly, but after the opening 5-10 minutes we controlled the game and, at times, looked very impressive. We had 58% of the possession in the first-half, unusually for us, but didn't manage to get the goal our build up play deserved. Harriott played in Gudmundsson, Coquelin and Solly who all might have scored.

Peeters has overseen the arrival of some good players and quickly established a very sound defensive organisation. However, in the first half today I felt we began to see the benefits of a significant improvement in the quality of coaching on our general play. We moved the ball quickly and fluently, at times making gaping holes in Ipswich's strong defence.

Harriott was very impressive. He may have benefitted from being used centrally, but more significantly he played with remarkable intelligence and awareness. He looks a different player. Gudmundsson was also outstanding in the first half.

Not quite sure what Mick McCarthy said to his players at half-time. Perhaps the difference was that we couldn't retain the intensity and high press we'd used during the first period, but either way Ipswich made it more difficult for us after the break.

While no longer dominant in terms of possession we still created openings. Twice Vetokele failed to control when put through, once by Harriott and then by Wilson, while in a carbon copy of the first-half move Harriott again played Gudmundsson in on the right hand side of the penalty area. Having muffed his right foot shot in the first-half Gudmundsson made the wrong decision and tried to cut inside onto his left and the chance was gone. Finally, Harriott "air-kicked" when set up by Vetokele. It was the best chance of the match.

Ipswich had their chances too and, in fairness, grew stronger as the game progressed, looking the more likely winners as the game reached it's final stages. When the winner finally came, it was doubly disappointing. The goal was scored in time added on in injury time and Noel Hunt, on his debut and the man who had been injured, got it with a terrific finish, the ball having been deflected out to him by Fox.

The margins between success and failure are so fine. Had we won today we'd have all been very upbeat. We shouldn't be too disconsolate in defeat. We continue to improve and that remains very encouraging.

But Harriot had the opportunity of shooting himself ( & I know how that sounds & I wish he would sometimes;-) ) but instead chose to knock it out to the edge of the box, chance gone ;-(

Not sure about continuing to improve, just returning to the form we showed against Wigan & particularly first half against Derby, other than that a good summing up of the game.
  • Options

Posting without Tattoos

Bugger,
    Bugger,
    Bugger.

Looked good first half but didn't take the chances and didn't really work their keeper.

Thought we handed the initiative to them when we took the boy Harriot off. His pace, skill and hard work had given them problems all day.

We went to a more conventional 442 and Ipswich moved 15 yards up the pitch. They had all the late pressure and scored.

As said before very close division this one. Not much between the two sides but they took a chance. We weren't rubbish just not quite good enough to beat a decent, hardworking Ipswich team.

Harriot and L'coq Sportif stood out.

Igor off the pace, JJ busy, cousins did well, Gud was gud first half but wasted good chances and faded.

Oh for another striker but as someone on her said "bumpy ride"

UTA

Who was she ? ;-)

• Options

Anyone else see Wilson 'headbutt' their big left back near the end?

Yup & the big left back kicked Wilson in the back of the leg in retribution

• Options

Kap10 said:

16,800 official figure

6/10 on the trollometer this week. I like the net curtains part but it lacks your usual entertaining hyperbole. Though claiming every single team we've played in the last two and a half years has won or drawn at The Valley is a bold strategy I'll admit.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

If you give Morgan Fox some will it make him better and better....?

:-----)
    Can't guarantee that it'll make Foxy play better.

But a pint of 'Proper Job' will make you believe he's Prem quality.

• Options
    Managed to catch the game on telly, thought harriot was pretty league 1 personally
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't rate harriott but he had a good game yesterday , as said above probably our best player .
  • Options
    That was the best performance by charlton for a very long time which is why we are all gutted. The big disappointment is not the lack of courage in front of goal; it is the failure to hit the target. You can't expect them all to perform like a striker but you can expect them to hit the target. The irony is that the skill used in placing passes so clearly visible during the game was not used in placing a shot and this is either due to just banging it towards the goal and hoping for the best or having no ability to put the ball in a place where you want it to go. Given that they can pass the ball ( the passing has not been as good as this for along time) why can't they hit the target? Anyway I gave them applause at the end because they deserved it and should be pleased with every aspect of their game except hitting the target.
  • Options
    Definitely need to go with Coquelin as the holding midfielder and when Buyens is back put him as our attacking midfielder sorry Jacko! He will as shown so far this season put it on a plate for Igor or Tucudean
  • Options
    Also just to note we have lost 3 league games all season and Buyens has missed two of those games! Yes he really is that good that we miss him so much today and v Fulham away
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Also just to note we have lost 3 league games all season and Buyens has missed two of those games! Yes he really is that good that we miss him so much today and v Fulham away

Possibly coincidence?
  • Options

I don't think we need a midfielder who can only last 60 minutes.
    You do realize that was 6 months ago right?
  • Options
    Took me a while but just re-watched their goal for the first time since it when in on Saturday. The phrase 'Sunday League' comes to mind - two of their players make 9 of ours look like absolute pillocks.

Also noticed one of their players was offside when the shot was hit. He wasn't interfering with play but the linesman at the other end penalised us at least twice when Igor had failed to track back but wasn't involved at all, and arguably an Ipswich player standing right next to the goal is more 'interfering' than an attack tracking back but nowhere near the ball.
  • Options
    9,999,999,999 out of 10,000,000,000 we wouldn't have lost that game.