Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich.: Post Match Views

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Absolutely gutting. We have played a lot worse and won this season. Trying to take some positives, Ipswich are a good side and 2nd in the table now with some good talent, that a few of the big prem clubs have been supposedly trying to offer big money for, they've also got a good managers who knows the league like that back of his hand and knows what it takes to get out of it. Last season our team would have not got near getting a result on Saturday but we actually were the better side for large parts of the game. We are still only 3 points off the play offs and I think anyone would have jumped at the chance to be here almost half way through the season. Sad about the home record but it had to go at some point and we've still lost the least games in the league this season. I'm optimistic about Forrest too, won there last season and we can for sure do it again.

As for the game, Solly looked great as usual particularly going forward and Harriott had one of his best games for us and was unlucky not to get a goal, Igor desperately needs some help upfront - please RD. Coquelin - what a player, so much class and he is going to stand out at this level. JBG - interesting game, he looked most likely to create something but his decision making wasn't the best and I know he does have a great shot on him but I think he shoots too much and it's straight at the keeper a lot when from distance. Although I can't complain too much as I'm always saying we don't shoot enough! Everyone else I think had a decent game, Jacko definitely helps hold the shape of the midfield and I agree taking him off may have not been the best decision for the game but the game is starting to go past him a lot lately and it is quite worrying, hope he pops up with a goal soon.

Unfortunately due to being up in Leeds I couldn't attend the game and could only manage to watch 70minutes because I got a train to Bradford with my housemate who is an Orient fan. I was watching the game at another mates house who is an ipswich fan... so me and my orient mate were on the train at about 85 minutes and I phoned my Ipswich pal and said to him to stay on the phone and commentate the last 5 minutes or so...we had him on speaker on the train so we could both here...literally wanted to smash my phone into pieces when I heard him going mental, I don't think I have ever had a worse perspective for a goal against us before. It was a truely horrible experience. However there is a silver lining to this story...thank god we are not orient or playing in league one again, the standard of football was truely abysmal. Orient lost 3-1 so a terrible footballing experience all round!

Anyway, really fancy us on Saturday though, don't know why...Assombalonga is going to be a huge miss for them and got a feeling Big Bob is going to be demanding a massive reaction after that loss.

#COYR
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2014
    Now that the dust has settled I also would like to say how well I thought we played. Our passing at times was fantastic and we created lots of chances. On another day JBG's effort in the first few minutes would have gone in. Also, Calum's effort when he made the chance and just shanked it to the left deserved a goal and would have gone in on another day. Igor had an off day for him and if he was fully fit I think he would have got a couple.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I think the main mistake was Big Bob delaying the substitutions. He's still learning so that is good. And, if the way we are now passing the ball about is anything to go by, the future is looking bright if that's what he is coaching and practicing. It was especially noticeable from our 'young guns' who I all thought showed very good control of the ball, including Fox. That is a good foundation to be instilling into the team.

I do think RD will invest in a quality striker in January but I don't think he'll rush into it to please the fans. Bob has already said he wants to move but he won't do it for the sake of it. I think people saying that RD is being tight fisted is incredibly harsh when you look at what he has already ploughed into our club. We now have a ground and a pitch to be proud of and also we're getting a team which is moving in the right direction. That's more than can be said about the other bunch of tossers we had running the club before.

Finally, we're still in a good league position (we aren't going to win or draw 'em all) so there's a lot of positives to take from the game. I think we'll still be there or thereabouts (playoffs) come the end of the season.
  • Options
    Posting without sleeping

Thought Solly had another great game and the more I see of Pope the happier I get
    Callum and Cousins performed well
    Igor looked out of sorts to me and needs some help and/or a rest

As it stands mid table is prolly about right but with a bit of luck and investment ,in this oh so tight league, we could knock on the play off door and conversely we might have to start looking over our shoulder if things go a bit sour

0 % top two ......... 2.75% 3rd-6th .........50% 7th-12th ......47% 13th-21st...... 0.25% Relegation

• Options
    Harriot done ok Saturday, hit a thunderous shot that the keeper saved well

But yet again failed to connect to a ball played into him inside the 18yd box
  • Options
    Please don't mention Tucudean to me again. The only time he should come on is at halftime with the oranges ! I would also prefer Bob to keep his comments about individual players to himself, on this occasion it was a player who could well be our player of the year. There is a time and a place for everything, straight after a frustrating result was not it.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Please don't mention Tucudean to me again. The only time he should come on is at halftime with the oranges ! I would also prefer Bob to keep his comments about individual players to himself, on this occasion it was a player who could well be our player of the year. There is a time and a place for everything, straight after a frustrating result was not it.

I thought about this too. It was a bit hasty, and I'm sure BP's emotion/frustration probably got the better of him.

I think he'll probably sort it out with TBH now. Also I think TBH is a big boy and he can take it.

BP actually came to TBH's defence when IMO he actually made a worst clanger at the Rotherham game, so maybe that was in his thinking as well. I don't think he'll do it again though. BP strikes me as very intelligent, I think the frustration won over here. It's hard to control because it's human nature
  • Options
    Made the decision this weekend to record the game, and attempt to avoid finding out the score until I had watched it.

We travelled 5 hours up to Alnwick on Friday night for my little sister's wedding. I temporarily removed any apps that might flash up with the score, and put my wife in charge of reading any suspect text messages.

All day Saturday, I was avoiding anything to do with football, but didn't tell anyone in case of sabotage. The wedding itself was lovely, but the choice of having photos on the nearby beach were a bit optimistic in the sideways rain!

After the drive back yesterday, I got the Christmas decorations out of the garage, and let her do her thing, while I collapsed on the sofa and pressed play. I'd been looking forward to that moment all weekend.

After a nervous first few minutes, I thought we grew into the game, and were much the better side. Ipswich seemed happy to contain, and we kept Peter Beagrie's favorite strike partnership very quiet.

Second half, again a nervy start, but we looked like the only team that were going to win it.

Defense was solid throughout, midfield good, and Igor and Callum have potential as a partnership, with the latter very good when involved. Coquelin is a cut above, would love us to sign him.

As the game neared the end, we ran out of steam a touch. Teflon George didn't have much time to get involved. I was still hoping we might grind out a win but half expectant of the sucker punch. And there it was with no time left on the clock, Noel Hunt (even more unlikeable than before the game) finding the bottom corner with a lucky weak shot following some poor defending.

As the ball rolled across the line, I switched the tv off, and went and helped my wife with the decorations, although I didn't speak much for the next couple of hours.

A lot more positives to take from the game than negatives and things are looking much brighter. COYA
  • Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quick summary of my opinions.

Harriot had one of his best games in a Charlton shirt.

Vetokele doesn't look fully fit and may need to have a rest.

JJ can only last 60 minutes. For me he is not contributing enough at the moment.

Coquelin looks a cut above, great passing but did dither on the ball at times

Fox is really under pressure to perform now. At times he's not even doing the basic stuff right

Pope had a great game. No worries for me there.

Bikey saved TBH a few times and he did go missing with the goal. He's been our best player this season but Bob needs to have a word.

No 7 needs to use his right foot! Always turning inside, the defenders pick up on it and makes him easy to defend against.

When Buyens is fit I'd like to see a midfield 3 of Cousins, Coq, Buyens. I think they could really control the midfield for us.
  • Options
    Just spoke to a Chelsea-supporting mate of mine who knows his football and went to The Valley for the first time on Saturday. Quick summary from a neutral that won't surprise many:

Why don't we play two up-front, especially at home? Vetokele desperately needs someone who can hold the ball up - not Tucudean. Even playing one up-front, you need a player like that for Igor.

Charlton are missing someone like Daryl Murphy or even McGoldrick who did exactly that for Ipswich (see their goal)

Coquelin is a class above anyone else

Harriott is pretty poor (I actually thought he had a good game on Saturday!)

Ipswich, while they probably don't have better individuals than Charlton are a team who know their duties and roles and are effective at what they do. Charlton look like bunch of individuals

Great food, booze and a decent ground, shame we aren't getting the crowds. Can't wait to go back to The Valley

Hard to disagree with most of that I think. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Seems fair
  • Options

Just spoke to a Chelsea-supporting mate of mine who knows his football and went to The Valley for the first time on Saturday. Quick summary from a neutral that won't surprise many:

Why don't we play two up-front, especially at home? Vetokele desperately needs someone who can hold the ball up - not Tucudean. Even playing one up-front, you need a player like that for Igor.

Charlton are missing someone like Daryl Murphy or even McGoldrick who did exactly that for Ipswich (see their goal)

Ipswich, while they probably don't have better individuals than Charlton are a team who know their duties and roles and are effective at what they do. Charlton look like bunch of individuals

Great food, booze and a decent ground, shame we aren't getting the crowds. Can't wait to go back to The Valley

"Ipswich, while they probably don't have better individuals than Charlton are a team who know their duties and roles and are effective at what they do. Charlton look like bunch of individuals"

I have to agree to an extent. This is the problem with having such a high turnover of players, you get to December and they don't really know one another and I still don't think we/BP know what our best team or formation is.
  • Options

Fair assessment on the whole although I do wonder whether, not having seen them play much, he got his Harriotts round his Vetokeles at times.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Made the decision this weekend to record the game, and attempt to avoid finding out the score until I had watched it.

We travelled 5 hours up to Alnwick on Friday night for my little sister's wedding. I temporarily removed any apps that might flash up with the score, and put my wife in charge of reading any suspect text messages.

All day Saturday, I was avoiding anything to do with football, but didn't tell anyone in case of sabotage. The wedding itself was lovely, but the choice of having photos on the nearby beach were a bit optimistic in the sideways rain!

After the drive back yesterday, I got the Christmas decorations out of the garage, and let her do her thing, while I collapsed on the sofa and pressed play. I'd been looking forward to that moment all weekend.

After a nervous first few minutes, I thought we grew into the game, and were much the better side. Ipswich seemed happy to contain, and we kept Peter Beagrie's favorite strike partnership very quiet.

Second half, again a nervy start, but we looked like the only team that were going to win it.

Defense was solid throughout, midfield good, and Igor and Callum have potential as a partnership, with the latter very good when involved. Coquelin is a cut above, would love us to sign him.

As the game neared the end, we ran out of steam a touch. Teflon George didn't have much time to get involved. I was still hoping we might grind out a win but half expectant of the sucker punch. And there it was with no time left on the clock, Noel Hunt (even more unlikeable than before the game) finding the bottom corner with a lucky weak shot following some poor defending.

As the ball rolled across the line, I switched the tv off, and went and helped my wife with the decorations, although I didn't speak much for the next couple of hours.

A lot more positives to take from the game than negatives and things are looking much brighter. COYA

Blimey, I don't know how you managed to hold back until yesterday without getting curious to know the score and thinking what the hell. Going to bed on Saturday not knowing what happened.

But I remember on a couple of occasions trying to avoid an England score. Firstly back in 97 when England lost to Italy in a WC qualifier when Zola scored the winner. That night I went with my school drama group to see Guys and Dolls at the National Theatre and on Waterloo East station on the way home my old drama teacher from a previous year who was also my year head throughout told me England lost. To be fair he didn't know I was trying to avoid the score. Had he not said anything I would have gathered from the many long faces of England fans on the train. Second time was the Tunisia game at France 98 when I was doing a GCSE exam which took place in the school sports hall which had a high ceiling and windows high up the walls which was the corridor upstairs and a year 7 lad banged on the window saying England were 1-0 up. So after the exam the game was in its closing stages and there was a room where it was on so I went and watched the end of the game there and saw Paul Scholes score a wonder goal to seal it. And that was before regular texting a social media.
  • Options

uie2 said:

Also just to note we have lost 3 league games all season and Buyens has missed two of those games! Yes he really is that good that we miss him so much today and v Fulham away

Possibly coincidence?
    No it's not , watch him he's world class
  • Options

agree with a lot of this .. BUT .. McCarthy has had quite a long time at Ipswich to assemble his team and tactics, cohesion and putting squares in squares and rounds in rounds does not come overnight .. No idea what Murphy cost (he was a Keane signing I believe) and McGoldrick has been a top player for a while now, Ipswich value him in the several millions category, we have no money to attract such talent (so we are led to believe) .. if our group/squad stays relatively intact and with a couple (at least) of additions, the future could be bright .. this is our best squad for quite a while, as vulnerable as it still is to suspensions and/or long term injuries .. I still fancy us to sneak into the play off reckoning come next spring
  • Options
    On a separate note I think Solly had one of his best games of the season. The management of his injury has been first class & the performances are coming back.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

"Ipswich, while they probably don't have better individuals than Charlton are a team who know their duties and roles and are effective at what they do. Charlton look like bunch of individuals"

I have to agree to an extent. This is the problem with having such a high turnover of players, you get to December and they don't really know one another and I still don't think we/BP know what our best team or formation is.
    Funny one isn't it? This could go either way really. If it is the case, Bob has down a great job getting them to perform to the level he has already. If we haven't clicked yet - which I don't think we have - then we could be a real threat when the team really starts to gel, especially if we are able to add a forward and possibly a bit more creativity / goals in the midfield.

agree with a lot of this .. BUT .. McCarthy has had quite a long time at Ipswich to assemble his team and tactics, cohesion and putting squares in squares and rounds in rounds does not come overnight .. No idea what Murphy cost (he was a Keane signing I believe) and McGoldrick has been a top player for a while now, Ipswich value him in the several millions category, we have no money to attract such talent (so we are led to believe) .. if our group/squad stays relatively intact and with a couple (at least) of additions, the future could be bright .. this is our best squad for quite a while, as vulnerable as it still is to suspensions and/or long term injuries .. I still fancy us to sneak into the play off reckoning come next spring
    It's a fair point. While McCarthy hasn't spent much cash, they certainly did before he was in charge, which is how they've ended up with experienced Championship, and in some cases, Premier League players. If Bob can nail it, this season, or more likely next year, then we can be right up there. I remember Ipswich at home last season, where they absolutely played us off the park at times. We've certainly progressed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Posting without sleeping

Thought Solly had another great game and the more I see of Pope the happier I get

As it stands mid table is prolly about right but with a bit of luck and investment ,in this oh so tight league, we could knock on the play off door and conversely we might have to start looking over our shoulder if things go a bit sour

0 % top two ......... 2.75% 3rd-6th .........50% 7th-12th ......47% 13th-21st...... 0.25% Relegation

So I've been following these percentages ooh aah. I notice, I think for the first time we are .25% to be relegated. Again I ask, how are you arriving at such figures?

I don't disagree with them, I think they're pretty accurate. But just gives us an inkling.
    He's got crystal balls.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Posting without sleeping

So I've been following these percentages ooh aah. I notice, I think for the first time we are .25% to be relegated. Again I ask, how are you arriving at such figures?

I don't disagree with them, I think they're pretty accurate. But just gives us an inkling.
  • Options
    Very harsh to say we "look like a team of individuals". I think we are anything but that this season, take our performance at Norwich for example.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Posting without sleeping

He's got crystal balls.
    He'll never let me near his crystal balls
  • Options
    Pretty sure Ipswich haven't spent much cash at all, mainly Loans, they did sign someone from Chippenham Town.

Frustrating to loose but the general opinion from people i spoke to prior to the game had Ipswich down for a win.

Time to move on, stop playing the Blame game,we were going to get beat at some point in the season. A last minute goal makes it that little bit harder to accept.
  • Options
    uie2 said:

uie2 said:

Also just to note we have lost 3 league games all season and Buyens has missed two of those games! Yes he really is that good that we miss him so much today and v Fulham away

Possibly coincidence?
    No it's not , watch him he's world class
    Do not dislike him, but world class I'm not so sure.
  • Options

If we don't get another striker there will be more games like this.

Sometimes the obvious needs to be stated! Couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

If we don't get another striker there will be more games like this.

Joe Pigott has just scored for U21s, just saying like. :-0

Edit; and a second to make it 3-0.
  • Options

Great food and booze???? He must have had a few !!!
  • Options
    At the end of the day Ipswich are 2nd in the table with 13 points out of the last 15 for a reason, it's no disgrace to lose to them