Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich.: Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Thought we played well to be honest just gutted we let that in at the end . We all know what we need to be more competitive and hopefully Roland will put this right in January.
    Don't really get the negatively from some as with the squad we had or have a position of 8th would be a very good season.
    Igors first touch was poor today aand with better control would have been in one on one with the keeper TWICE!
    Look forward to hearing how brilliant we are again from are strange element of fans when we beat Forest and Blackpool but for now i suppose its we are a bunch of cnuts and Peeters must go. Oh well never dull on the charlton forums.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    A game of cliches.

Posting without reading.

Charlton always cock it up when on the telly

If you don't take your chances you get punished.

The above sums today up for me.

Other observations: Harriott was superb and on another day would have scored a hat-trick.

Pope is an excellent goalkeeper and will only get better.

Gutted that we got nothing from that match and really feel for our players who gave it all they had. It might be stretching a point to say that we deserved to win that but we certainly did not deserve to lose it and certainly not in such cruel fashion to virtually the last kick of the match.

Ipswich I sense will be there or thereabouts come May and we more than competed with them so positives to take from a disappointing day.

COYR

• Options
    Rob said:

I think Big Bob made some mistakes today. At about 60 minutes I think the game was crying out for substitutions. I thought Harriott was starting to make bad decisions. Igor was starting to chase a lost cause and he needed some different support. I think JBG played well but there's only a certain amount he can do and by the end we just ran out of ideas all around.

I don't understand bringing Tucudean on after 85 minutes and Bulot on 90. What can they do to change the game at that late stage?

Think you are being slightly harsh. The Bulot one was because Gud was knackered, I guess it was to replace him and give Fox a bit more protection although that didn't go to plan. Tucudean one, yeah I can sort of agree, but around the 65th minute mark I thought we needed a sub just after we had a good little spell where we looked dangerous again. I imagine his thinking was you don't want to change things if looking dangerous already. Then after Wilson was brought on. Probably says more about his confidence in Tuc at the moment.
  • Options

Anyone else see Wilson 'headbutt' their big left back near the end?

I saw that. I think the Ipswich player thought about making a meal of it but realised that none of the officials had seen it. If they had, he'd have been off
  • Options
    One win in our last seven home games says it all.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

And Bent scores for Brighton.Apparently there were goal scoring strikers available in the loan window after all.

Has it been mentioned what percentage of his wages they're paying?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

decent and realistic Peeters post match interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30155805

Disappointing that the manager is playing the blame game and singling out a player publicly.

Sort it out in the dressing room, Peeters - and keep it out of the media.

• Options

Just as an aside - a very clean match - no cards, but also very few free kicks.
    I may have missed one, but I believe the first foul given was after 31 minutes. (I noticed this, because just before it was given, I was trying to think if there had been one yet and I don't think there had.)
    Is this particularly unusual? Only I've never given it much thought before.

It was unusual, but then the referee played advantage a lot instead of blowing for a freekick
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Southbank said:

And Bent scores for Brighton.Apparently there were goal scoring strikers available in the loan window after all.

I haven't seen it and I think a lot of people are forgetting how expensive he would be and a relative gamble for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lawrie nutted someone? Sounds like it was the highlight of the whole match and I missed it..

I'll give the referee something though; from the stream it looked as though he was superb today. Didn't make a meal out of anything, didn't attempt to "stamp his authority" on the match and allowed the game to keep a decent pace without any interruptions. I'd like to see more of that.
  • Options
    Blaming Peters today. We have no imagination at corners, everyone an outswinger.
    Harriott putting 1 out of play to helpfully relieve pressure on the opposition.
    No rhythm in the 2nd half so why did Peters wait until 75th minuite to make a change.
    Even then it should have been a double.
    Very disappointing. Vetokele clearly not fully match fit. Still don't know why a right footed Cousins stuck on left side with a left footer left on right wing.
    Think we made bye-line once in each half as both kept cutting inside thereby giving the Ipswich defence time to regroup & snuff out aimless crosses.
    There is little balance to the team and it is about time Cousins & Harriott learnt some consistency in

• Options
    Love that post, Blucher.
  • Options
    Peters said the dressing room like a morgue after Millwall match as we squandered 2 points.
    Neither players nor management learnt anything from that experience as we engineered the loss of 3 more points.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

decent and realistic Peeters post match interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30155805

Disappointing that the manager is playing the blame game and singling out a player publicly.

Sort it out in the dressing room, Peeters - and keep it out of the media.

I think he's being slightly OTT when he says we dominated the game, Pope made a string of saves, not 'worldy' saves, but had plenty of work to do
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Southbank said:

Wellwickman
    Think we could afford to meet about 10% of his weekly wage but Benty have to return money on failing to score in that week.
    Suspect seagulls offering slightly better terms.

• Options

Absolutelly mugged. Ipswich team full of injuries there for the taking, their defenders allowing attackers in the spaces between them all game and we never capitalised. They didn't deserve anything from the game, let alone three points but if you don't take your chances this happens. Mick admitted as much in his post match interview; he would have been delighted with a point.

We did a reverse Charlton today; normally we're average all over and Johann and Igor drag us through. Today everyone else pulled their weight, even Harriott, and Johann and Igor fluffed some really, really easy chances. Unbelievable.

We created a hell of a lot more than we have in previous games which was encouraging but wasting such clear-cut chances like we did today is unforgivable. Callum missed a few including one that ran across the face of goal for him, Igor blootered his first touch like his feet were made of rubber and Johann always always made the wrong decision when given the option to pass or shoot.

Frustrated doesn't even cover it today

Wellwickman
    Thanks for revealing that we got beat by a second string outfit today.

• Options
    Igor slightly off the pace but Callum showing he has a future as a striker despite no luck. Not sure I fully buy into the target man argument after today. Had Igor been fit we'd have tore them a new one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointing crowd in reality, surprised if we topped 12,000, I know it was an early kick off and it was on the tv but still.
  • Options
    16,800 official figure
  • Options
    We played very well, Pope was great as was Harriot, vetekele and Solly. Another striker would have sealed this game for us as we are better than we have been in years in every other area, we done well to hold a team as on form as Ipswich for 94minutes, was very unlucky to lose. Let's just hope a striker or 2 on the horizon for the new year!
  • Options
    Haven't read all the comments but we had sufficient chances throughout the game to win by two or three, I thought we played really well and our approach work was excellent, don't agree with Jackson being subbed and the look on his face when his number was shown said it all; he was not amused.
  • Options
    Solly was not great sadie imo, but i forgive him he is entitled to a bad game once in a while.
  • Options

16,800 official figure

Long time since we had so many gaps in the east and west Stand
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The problem is not so much about not scoring today as what is the goals tally for nine games in October and November? I've been at the last three with family and it's one goal in three games generating four points.

I would hope Vetokele is rested next week if he needs it.

For sure the first half was good in fact promising and I recorded on sky so look forward to watching again at some point.

But the subs were late and Bulot and Tucudean surely deserves more than a few minutes? Blaming any one player by Peeters is simply not right and probably a sign of stress?

It's not the point lost at the death but the lack of goals and wins against Millwall and Ipswich who are both pretty ordinary compared to who we beat earlier.

It's looking more and more like mid-table is our destination and that 2015-16 is when the club might try to step up to the next level. And this is not going to be cheap! We are fortunate to have Bulot, Buyens and now Coquelin on loan but will any of these players be with us next August?

We are in a much better place today than we were 12 months ago but I wonder if we will be saying the same thing in a years time?

I see why people are praising some of the football and certain players but we're watching a chance on making the play-offs fade and disappear before our eyes. The club have been very clear in their messaging and if we are not competing in the top ten by end December then will they still "acquire one or two quality players?"

I know there's a very clear strategy in place but you put another decent striker in a red shirt today and last week and you're looking at four - six points. Let's hope cash is splashed in January.
  • Options
    If Igor had a decent left foot and Gud a right we would have won comfortably. However saying that I thought we played pretty well throughout, Cousins and Harriot stood out for me.
  • Options
    I'm a little bit pissed so bear that in mind! Lanc Lad's comments which ove no idea to quote are spot on.

Sometimes you lose in football, that's the.game. one. Day we'll leave the place bouncing from a last min winner, simwtimes you are kicking the turf.

We aren't going up and we aren't goi.t down. But we are playing some half decent stuff and will have a bad run and a good run.
    Good luck workings out those spelling mistakes.! Up the addicks
  • Options
    Can't even be bothered. Don't even know why I came on CL tonight! just gutted. Totally gutted.