Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018

doesn't make our slender loss look as bad and goes to show what difference a couple of months can make, probably the best scenario for us, croatia wont be amazing behind closed doors as wont have any fans so will be a strange game to watch, spain away i think we can write off then leaves us with something to get against the croatians in november at wembley to avoid relegation which would see us get a top seed in euro 2020 qualifying.

I would believe with 12-teams in League A and 10-Groups for Euro 2020 Qualifying that the only way we wont be a top seed is if we're one of the two worst relegated sides - Seeing that Iceland have -9 GD I imagine one will be them whilst I wont be surprised if Holland are the other seeing they've had the joy of having France and Germany in their Group
    you clearly understand it more than me ha!
    Going by the way it appears to work on Wiki (If I'm reading it right)

Top Seeding: Spain | France | Switzerland | Portugal | Belgium | Poland | Germany | England | Italy | Holland
    2nd pot: Croatia | Iceland | Ukraine | Bosnia | Denmark | Russia | Wales | Turkey | N.Ireland | Czech Rep
    3rd pot: Sweden | Austria | Slovakia | Ireland | Scotland | Finland | Bulgaria | Montenegro | Norway | Hungary
    4th pot: Albania | Serbia | Romania | Greece | Israel | Cyprus | Slovenia | Estonia | Lithuania | Luxembourg
    5th pot: Macedonia | Georgia | Kosovo | Belarus | Faroe Islands | Armenia | Andorra | Liechtenstein | Azerbaijan | Latvia
    6th pot: Moldova | Malta | Kazakhstan | Gibraltar | San Marino

The first set of teams in Bold are those in League A
    The first set of teams not in Bold are those in League B
    The second set of teams in Bold are those in League C
    The second set of teams not in Bold are those in League D

Based on the current FIFA Rankings the hardest Euro Qualifying Group we could end up with is:

England | Croatia | Sweden | Romania | Macedonia | Kazakhstan as there doesnt appear to be any rules which say you cant end up with a side that you faced in the Nations League (e.g. England with Croatia)
  • Options
    How we lose to Croatia in the semi final
    I mean the dream miracle draw , a route to the final we will never see the likes of again , once in a lifetime opportunity goes a begging
  • Options

I mean the dream miracle draw , a route to the final we will never see the likes of again , once in a lifetime opportunity goes a begging

Does it really matter? France would've comfortably beaten us in the final anyway.
  • Options

Does it really matter? France would've comfortably beaten us in the final anyway.
    this unfortunately as much as i hate that prick pogba they would of hammered us i think.
  • Options

doesn't make our slender loss look as bad and goes to show what difference a couple of months can make, probably the best scenario for us, croatia wont be amazing behind closed doors as wont have any fans so will be a strange game to watch, spain away i think we can write off then leaves us with something to get against the croatians in november at wembley to avoid relegation which would see us get a top seed in euro 2020 qualifying.

I would believe with 12-teams in League A and 10-Groups for Euro 2020 Qualifying that the only way we wont be a top seed is if we're one of the two worst relegated sides - Seeing that Iceland have -9 GD I imagine one will be them whilst I wont be surprised if Holland are the other seeing they've had the joy of having France and Germany in their Group

Based on the current FIFA Rankings the hardest Euro Qualifying Group we could end up with is:

England | Croatia | Sweden | Romania | Macedonia | Kazakhstan as there doesnt appear to be any rules which say you cant end up with a side that you faced in the Nations League (e.g. England with Croatia)
    And we would only need to finish top 2 in that qualifying group to make it to Euro 2020
  • Options

And we would only need to finish top 2 in that qualifying group to make it to Euro 2020

ah i see as we would not be involved in the nations league tournemant we would go in a group of 6 as opposed to 5 where the top 2 qaulify is that correct?.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

ah i see as we would not be involved in the nations league tournemant we would go in a group of 6 as opposed to 5 where the top 2 qaulify is that correct?.
    The Nations League Tournament next summer is completely separate from Euro 2020 and will simply be to decide the winner of the Nations League overall - Regardless if we enter that (looks unlikely as we'll need to regain the six points on Spain) we'll see go into a Group of five or six teams to qualify for Euro 2020
  • Options

Not even top two - Worst case scenario you'd expect nearly all 12-teams from League A to qualify automatically from the Standard Group route (Iceland and Holland maybe two that'll struggle) - In which case we'd enter a Play-Off and because there probably wont be enough teams from League A to make up the numbers, we'd be faced against lesser teams from Leagues B and C depending on what happens in Qualifying for those teams.

Unfortunately cant example further as its the Play-Offs where I start to get a bit confused
  • Options
    If you win the Nations league, do you still have to go into the Euro qualifiers? Or do you just chill and play some friendlies?
  • Options

If you win the Nations league, do you still have to go into the Euro qualifiers? Or do you just chill and play some friendlies?

Nope they'd still go into the Euro Qualifiers... e.g. Spain could win the Nations League next summer yet if they came third in their Euro Qualifiers Group they'd then have to play in the League A Play-Offs to try and qualify for Euro 2020.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nope they'd still go into the Euro Qualifiers... e.g. Spain could win the Nations League next summer yet if they came third in their Euro Qualifiers Group they'd then have to play in the League A Play-Offs to try and qualify for Euro 2020.
    My head hurts, they could have made it a bit more straight forward. All these permutations.
  • Options

My head hurts, they could have made it a bit more straight forward. All these permutations.
    In UEFA's defence I dont actually know how they could have made it more simple

i.e. the League A Play-Offs and Nations League Finals could have been combined yet then if Spain won those AND finished in the top two of the Standard Qualifying then they'd be taking a place which would have to be randomly given elsewhere - I suppose the other idea could have been to scrap the original route with the Nations League combining as Qualification for future Euro competitions and World Cups i.e.

All 12-Nations in League A automatically Qualify yet to make that competitive, relegation would still apply so if you are relegated you dont get automatic qualification next time round for the World Cup (as your not one of the top nations) - For Euro 2020 the other 12 teams could have then been the 12-winners from League B | C | D Groups
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Think of the Nations League as a separate competition altogether.

Twenty of 24 places will be filled by the normal qualifying groups and there’s four places left as a second chance route for the best Nations League teams that failed to qualify through the normal route.

This will benefit teams like Italy and the Netherlands who failed to qualify through regular qualifying last time around.
  • Options

Twenty of 24 places will be filled by the normal qualifying groups and there’s four places left as a second chance route for the best Nations League teams that failed to qualify through the normal route.

This will benefit teams like Italy and the Netherlands who failed to qualify through regular qualifying last time around.
    it was kind of tongue in cheeky guys...
  • Options

Am I correct in thinking it will be a team from league a, b, c and d? If so do they have playoffs in that league for the spot or will it just be the highest team in league d for example as presumably none of the teams in league d will qualify via normal route
  • Options

Am I correct in thinking it will be a team from league a, b, c and d? If so do they have playoffs in that league for the spot or will it just be the highest team in league d for example as presumably none of the teams in league d will qualify via normal route
    Nope will be a Play-Off yet yeah there will be a team from a, b, c and d at the Euros
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Correct. We are guaranteed to see at least one of the below League D teams in the draw for Euro 2020.

After two rounds of fixtures, the group leaders are Georgia, Luxembourg, Kosovo and Macedonia.
  • Options
    cheers @Callumcafc & @ForeverAddickted my footballing gurus
  • Options

Correct. We are guaranteed to see at least one of the below League D teams in the draw for Euro 2020.

After two rounds of fixtures, the group leaders are Georgia, Luxembourg, Kosovo and Macedonia.
    on this again the 4 teams that are top of there groups within leagues when do they play there playoff games or will they automatically be assigned a 5 team euro 2020 qualifying group?
  • Options

on this again the 4 teams that are top of there groups within leagues when do they play there playoff games or will they automatically be assigned a 5 team euro 2020 qualifying group?
    The Play-Offs for A B C D will be in March 2020

The draw for the 5 or 6 team Qualifying Groups will be this December and will run from March to November 2019 - If you have won a Play-Off spot and get into Euro 2020 via the Qualifying Groups then your Play-Off spot will be given to the next best team from your Nations League level that hasnt qualified via the Qualifying Groups
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2018

For these lower ranked teams, the Nations League is over by November and the focus of Europe shifts to the qualifying groups for the start of 2019.

As normal, the top two from every qualifying group will be in the draw for Euro 2020 - that includes the smaller nations if they pull off the upset.

That is unlikely though and so it’s expected that those four group winners will contest the qualifying play-offs in March 2020. If by chance a group winner had already qualified by the normal route, their place in the play-off is passed on to the best group runner up and so on.
  • Options
    Hoping England put on a good performance against Croatia in this tonight. Enjoying having competitive international games on during the season rather than friendlies and qualifying games that are mostly a formality or generally dull matches. Croatia should be up for it tonight as well so hopefully it will be a decent game.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    So strange playing in an empty stadium and will be very difficult for it to really feel like an enjoyable game now. Oh well - shows the importance of fans and an atmosphere at a match.
  • Options

Says it all
  • Options

Hoping England put on a good performance against Croatia in this tonight. Enjoying having competitive international games on during the season rather than friendlies and qualifying games that are mostly a formality or generally dull matches. Croatia should be up for it tonight as well so hopefully it will be a decent game.

Will in retrospect that was a ridiculously over-optimistic post. Totally crap game and turned it over. Football shouldn't be played on Friday night anyway.
  • Options
    Still just glorified friendlies for me. We'll still qualify for the Euro's so i don't think anyone is too fussed about these games.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Gibraltar get their first every competitive win and Germany go 3 competitive games without scoring for the first time in their history
  • Options
    Big win for Holland last night, smashing Germany 3-0. The Germans play France away in midweek and if they lose that they're in real danger of being relegated to the B league.
  • Options

Big win for Holland last night, smashing Germany 3-0. The Germans play France away in midweek and if they lose that they're in real danger of being relegated to the B league.

Cant see it myself.
    France will beat Germany and Netherlands(there is no country called Holland).

Which means going into the last game in Germany the table will be.

France 10 points
    Netherlands 3 points
    Germany 1 point

Home win for Germany takes them into 2nd and relegates Netherlands