Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Options
    I think that topping a Group containing Croatia and Spain would look good on Southgate's CV, especially when added to a WC semi.
  • Options
    Not even about winning the tournament for me, it is the greater exposure to playing similar ranked teams rather than the odd game against Germany here or there.
    The more we play them the more chance of beating them in proper tournaments.
  • Options

I think that topping a Group containing Croatia and Spain would look good on Southgate's CV, especially when added to a WC semi.

A competitive win away to Spain isn't too bad either.
  • Options

Would go some way to vindicating our place in that semi too.

The semi final line up then was: France, Belgium, England, Croatia.

People said we didn’t deserve to be there.

If the last four of the Nations League are France, Belgium, England and Portugal/Italy, I’d say that’s more than a lucky run in a single tournament.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

We're potentially 90 minutes away from being relegated and every non-English fan (and NLA) saying "told you it was a lucky run to the semi finals"
  • Options
    The way the groups are set up with just 3 teams in most of them means that promotion and relegation will be a regular occurrence, rather than an occasional triumph/disaster.

From a Nations League winning/survival point of view, England were place in a really tough group, but for the development of our young players having to play Spain and Croatia has been a really useful exercise
  • Options
    Just read that last night was Sergio Ramos' 161st cap for Spain! That is an incredible tally for a guy who is a) not that old, b) playing for a world class nation and c) is an outfield player.

I expect he'll retire after Euro 2020 but if he wanted to, he could carry on and get to 200 caps.
  • Options

Just read that last night was Sergio Ramos' 161st cap for Spain! That is an incredible tally for a guy who is a) not that old, b) playing for a world class nation and c) is an outfield player.

I expect he'll retire after Euro 2020 but if he wanted to, he could carry on and get to 200 caps.

and d) amazed no ones done a job on him to put him out for a significant length of time and affect his career
  • Options
    E) - Is it me or does he look a bit like Waggy?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was St Patrick’s Day.
    His green leprechaun hat has fallen off.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Really hope we win on Sunday and reach the nations league semi finals. Even if we do get relegated, I most definitely think we are going in the right direction under Southgate. We were robbed by an awful refereeing decision against Spain and should have put Croatia to the sword.

If we want to win the Euro 2020 and World Cup 2022, we will need to beat the likes of Belgium and France in tournaments. Can’t see a better way of building momentum than winning the nations league.

I do agree with other comments that the nations league will have a short shelf life when Yo Yo clubs start to emerge between Div 1 and Div 2.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Netherlands lead France 1-0. Germany relegated to League B as it stands.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Denmark lead Wales 1-0. As it stands, that confirms Denmark’s promotion to League A as well as Ireland’s relegation to League C. Wales would remain in League B.
  • Options
    Holland seem to have started again after the failure of 2016 and 2018. Lots of decent youngsters coming through.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    If the score stays 1-0 between Netherlands and France (or they go on to win by two or more), the Dutch would only need a point against Germany to advance the competition finals next summer at France’s expense.
  • Options
    Gibraltar were beating Armenia in the first half but they’re now losing 1-3 unfortunately.
  • Options

Gibraltar were beating Armenia in the first half but they’re now losing 1-3 unfortunately.

Now 4-1. Seem to have completely disintegrated after half time.
  • Options
    5-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

MrLargo said:

Now 4-1. Seem to have completely disintegrated after half time.
    Are they playing uphill up the rock this half?
    F#*king looks like it. Or they found out that I'd backed them with a 2 goal headstart and decided to not bother putting any effort in the second half just to show me. Bastards. Let Spain have it back.
  • Options
    2-0 Holland
  • Options
    Netherlands win 2-0. Germany are relegated to League B.

If Netherlands beat Germany or draw later this week, they will win their group ahead of France. A German win will mean France win the group.
  • Options
    Denmark beat Wales 2-1 and are promoted to League A alongside Ukraine and Bosnia.

Ireland are relegated to League C.
  • Options

Netherlands win 2-0. Germany are relegated to League B.

If Netherlands beat Germany or draw later this week, they will win their group ahead of France. A German win will mean France win the group.

Considering where Dutch football has been in recent years, this has been a great performance by them. Pretty humiliating for the Germans too, following their poor World Cup
  • Options
    Koeman has done a remarkable job turning their fortunes round so quickly.

Since they lost to us at home in March they have beaten Portugal 3-0 away, drew away to Belgium and italy and beat Germany and France at home.

Which also makes our 1-0 win there look even better.
  • Options
    San Siro sold out for Italy v Portugal tomorrow
  • Options
    Portugal are at home to Poland in the last game, so even if italy win tonight i don't think it will matter too much.

Why is Ronaldo not in the squad again? He hasn't featured at all since the world cup.
  • Options
    Ronaldo has featured a lot more for Juventus than anyone thought he was going to.
    His last few years at Madrid he almost took the first few months of the season easy, people claimed he was losing it scoring fewer goals, then come the new year and the business end of the league and Champions League he’s fresh averaging over a goal a game.
    He is using the international breaks as his recover and is basically picking and choosing when he plays.
    Let’s face it, nobody in Portugal is going to question him.
    Considering his ego and desire to be the best ever you would think he would want to play every match, with the aim of breaking all the international goal records. But this idea of holding something back for the end of the season has worked for him the past couple of years.

No player is bigger than the team, tell that to Ronaldo.
  • Options
    So glad that Wales didnt get promoted

Couldnt have handled them in the top tier if England had gotten relegated - Only Home Nation that irritate me at the moment, especially as they seem more England B than the others