Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket World Cup 2015 (and build up to)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2015
    PAK 208-3, 38.2 overs

Misbah 39 (46) b Cusack

Pakistan require 30 runs from 70 balls
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Good discussion this. For years Essex's best bowler has been david masters. Accurate, controlled, but very slow. He won't bother many great batsmen. Maybe we should concentrate on pinching foreigners?

The only issue is that those players will either be playing for their countries or in the IPL, Big Bash, in fact every tournament where the big money is.

Sadly gone our the days when those same two/three foreign players religiously turned up every season for their counties - fantastic players such as Viv Richards, Joel Garner, Rohan Kanhai, Farokh Engineer, Clive Lloyd, Gary Sobers, Asif Iqbal, Barry Richards, Mike Proctor, Eddie Barlow, Mushtaq, Intikhab etc etc.

You could rely on those players doing their very best for their counties because it was their second home - and in some cases it became first home. The journeymen who turn up for the T20 or even just a month in the county championship are rarely as committed as their predecessors of a former era.

One player who I do believe will be a "throwback" is Sangakkara. On the one hand I hope he that isn't successful (as he is playing for Surrey) but, on the other and for the benefit of our national side, I believe he will be a terrific person to play with for their younger players especially someone like Jason Roy.

You can't beat that experience and as he is committed to a two year contract will be of far more benefit than someone like KP.
    I meant more in terms of nicking foreign players to play for England to make up for the lack of home grown talent :) but you make good points as well. Though, I'm not sure kaneria turned out to be such a good influence on the Essex youngsters... I think mervyn Westfield is out of prison now... Still , we've got Jesse Ryder for a second year. What could go wrong?
  • Options
    Pakistani batsmen are desperate to get their opener to a hundred. Partner at the other end is blocking every ball, this game could've been done a couple of overs ago.

PAK 233-3, 45 overs

5 to win from 5 overs
  • Options
    237-3, 46 overs

He hit a four and got his hundred, then blocked the rest of the over. Bizarre.

Pakistan are through as scores are level. One run left for Pakistan to win and send West Indies through at Ireland's expense.
  • Options
    Pakistan win by 7 wickets.

QF1 18 March: South Africa vs Sri Lanka @ SCG
    QF2 19 March: India vs Bangladesh @ MCG
    QF3 20 March: Australia vs Pakistan @ Adelaide Oval
    QF4 21 March: New Zealand vs West Indies @ Wellington Stadium

SF1 24 March: QF1 vs QF4 @ Eden Park
    SF2 26 March: QF2 vs QF3 @ SCG
  • Options
    Final on 29 March at the MCG.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Aside from Overton and maybe Topley, i see very little on the bowling front coming through.

Topley is quality. But not all that fast... I hope he'll make it. Mills is really fast, but sprays it everywhere
    Nor was Mcgrath (fast).
    I suspect that in contemporary one day cricket, McGrath would have been as vulnerable as any other fast medium bowler .. and someone mentioned Masters ? .. he must be nearly 40, he's the epitomy of a county bowler who's done the rounds with a few clubs and thrives on slow, low, green pitches .. if he's seriously being touted as a candidate for England selection in the fifty over game, then we are in serious, nay desperate trouble ((:>)
  • Options
    SA are demolishing SL in the first quarter final.
  • Options
    That game scenario was much needed for the Proteas. A quality bowling performance with everyone chipping in, including a Duminy hatrick, and some valuable runs for De kock. Bring on NZ/ West Indies in the semis
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Good discussion this. For years Essex's best bowler has been david masters. Accurate, controlled, but very slow. He won't bother many great batsmen. Maybe we should concentrate on pinching foreigners?

I meant more in terms of nicking foreign players to play for England to make up for the lack of home grown talent :) but you make good points as well. Though, I'm not sure kaneria turned out to be such a good influence on the Essex youngsters... I think mervyn Westfield is out of prison now... Still , we've got Jesse Ryder for a second year. What could go wrong?
    Jesse Ryder has been a good mentor and friend to my nephew at Essex and dont think you can argue with his performances last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Cook
    Anderson
    Bairstow
    Ballance
    Bell
    Broad
    Buttler
    Jordan
    Lyth
    Plunkett
    Root
    Rashid
    Stokes
    Tredwell
    Trott
    Wood

Just the six Yorkshire cricketers then!

Edit - wrong thread!
  • Options
    India giving Bangladesh the thrashing we should have given them.
  • Options
    Best thing England could do is get Shane Bond in as Bowling coach.
    Is leaving NZ staff and will be working with Mumbai Indians in the IPL but he must know his stuff.
    9 Kiwi bowlers will be in the IPL, how many English?
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

India giving Bangladesh the thrashing they would have given us if we had been able to beat Bangladesh.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Big_Bob said:

India giving Bangladesh the thrashing they would have given us if we had been able to beat Bangladesh.
    People have short memories- 2 months ago we beat India in 2 games to reach the final of the Tri_nations tournament- same India team, same England team.
    #justsaying
  • Options
    Cracking spell of bowling from Wahab
  • Options

Big_Bob said:

People have short memories- 2 months ago we beat India in 2 games to reach the final of the Tri_nations tournament- same India team, same England team.
    #justsaying
    Are you suggesting that in the actual tournament that they were preparing for, England could have been competitive against India, by playing a form of 50 overs cricket from the 1980s? Seriously? If so, form suggests you'd be wrong.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Big_Bob said:

#justsaying
    Are you suggesting that in the actual tournament that they were preparing for, England could have been competitive against India, by playing a form of 50 overs cricket from the 1980s? Seriously? If so, form suggests you'd be wrong.
    What i'm suggesting is that 2 months ago England beat India twice in 2 games - so, whats to say they couldn't have done it again in the same country on the same wickets?
    Yes, Englands performances since that have been abysmal , but all it needs is for 1 batsman or 1 bowler to play out of their skin and England have a chance - and their latest 'form' against India (2 wins) is not exactly bad, is it ??, so to casually jump on the England bashing bandwagon by suggesting they would have got a 'thrashing' is a bit of a cheap shot.
  • Options
    One of THE one day innings of all time from Martin Guptill - 237 not out (163) against West Indies out of N Z final total of 393-6.

He was dropped on four too. Talk about making the opposition pay!

N Z also more than doubled their score in the last 15 overs.
  • Options
    Quite incredible stuff from Guptill - looking forward to the semis - desperately need some competitive games rather than these one sided thrashings....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    West Indies about to implode?

27-2 off 5.3
  • Options
    Gayle has called for a zimmer frame such is his ability to run between the wickets.
  • Options
    LOL - doesn't matter when you can hit three six's in three balls.
  • Options
    Absolutely unbelievable one handed catch from the old man of the N Z team, DAniel Vettori, to dismiss Samuels.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ramdin goes for a duck. 80-4 off 9.5.

Boult 4-18!!!

Gayle still there on 36 (17)
  • Options
    Gayle gone for 61 (33)

120-5 off 16.1
  • Options
    West Indies 250 all out. Game over.
  • Options
    NZ v SA is one hell of a semi......
  • Options
    It doesn't always happen but at least we do have the best four teams in the semis.
  • Options
    Astonishing innings