Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket World Cup 2015 (and build up to)

Comments

• Options
    pettgra said:

Peter Moores said he was brought in to make a difference; seems to be a poor choice. When Gatting was skip, he had to manage characters like Botham etc and did it very successfully. Well thought of by his teammates. Perhaps he should have been considered.

Trouble is that Gatting is nowadays a 20 stone (about that) tubby chappie and doesn't fit the profile of a modern, model English cricket person, i.e.: A Lean, mean, socially aware, diet conscious, computer stats literate AND .. fecking useless athlete

• Options
    Riviera said:

CE, if you were in charge who would you have played today?

They don't have to be on the tour - anyone.

I'll hold my hands up & say I haven't seen enough of the younger players to comment.

But there's plenty around. Play them & see how they get on.

Our best 2 Ali & Buttler were only given a chance, more recently than the others.
    ...and you are confident there are a 'plenty' of players around who are better than Ian Bell....?
    At playing 50 over cricket in the modern way that every other country does then yes mate. Plenty at ODCUACO I'd wager....
    Quality aftertiming thread this.

• Options

pettgra said:

Peter Moores said he was brought in to make a difference; seems to be a poor choice. When Gatting was skip, he had to manage characters like Botham etc and did it very successfully. Well thought of by his teammates. Perhaps he should have been considered.

Trouble is that Gatting is nowadays a 20 stone (about that) tubby chappie and doesn't fit the profile of a modern, model English cricket person, i.e.: A Lean, mean, socially aware, diet conscious, computer stats literate AND .. fecking useless athlete

Oh dear. Was thinking of sending my CV to the ECB 'cos I didn't think it mattered being a 20 stone (about that) tubby chappie and doesn't fit the profile of a modern, model English cricket person AND..fecking useless athlete.
  • Options
    We invented T20 but stick our noses up at it. The old school may not like it, but T20 is the future of cricket in the 21st century and beyond. You can now watch a cricket game after work. Our system would have to be built around the counties, but they need to play much more of it rather than one/three day matches when a couple of old blokes and a dog are in the crowd. We are now at a point where any limited overs game should start from a T20 point – we still start from the test team point. Getting rid of Cook was the right call, but it was done too late and demonstrated just how wrong our approach is.
  • Options
    I think everyone is ignoring the REAL problem we have - in that cricket is no longer played on a big scale at schools.

My 10 year old son goes to a state school in South Africa where there are approx. 50 boys in his age grade.
    They have 3 cricket teams.
    Every school has a cricket team.

The same doesn't happen here - cricket isn't important to schools in the same way.

Also, another major issue is that schools start their holidays mid-July - just when the cricket season in getting in full swing, and comes back mid sept - just as cricket season is finished.
  • Options

I think everyone is ignoring the REAL problem we have - in that cricket is no longer played on a big scale at schools.

My 10 year old son goes to a state school in South Africa where there are approx. 50 boys in his age grade.

The same doesn't happen here - cricket isn't important to schools in the same way.

Also, another major issue is that schools start their holidays mid-July - just when the cricket season in getting in full swing, and comes back mid sept - just as cricket season is finished.

Unless the kids are old enough to play adult cricket, the club season also finishes mid July.

That means a child who doesn't get cricket at school might only play seven or eight games a season and bat three or four times all year. And they might train with the clubs in the winter as well as the summer for that return.

All of which is why football is the preferable sport to most kids as it runs from August to May with festivals in addition during the months of June and July.

And of course it is also the reason why so many of our cricketers come from the big private schools. That and the fact that playing cricket at the top level isn't cheap for parents. I would estimate that equipment, coaching, playing clothes, subs, county festivals, travel etc etc probably cost between £3k and £5K per annum, whereas if you are any good at football, the club funds virtually everything.
  • Options
    Sangakkara was the first player to score three WC hundreds in consecutive matches. He's now got a 4th in a row albeit against Scotland.

Surrey are one lucky team.
  • Options
    The latest over he's faced (from Kent born Evans):

6 4 4 4 (wide) 4 1

242-2 off 36

Thiramanne 4 (21)
    Dilshan 104 (99)
    Sangakkara 124* (92)
    Jayawardene 2* (4)
  • Options

Unless the kids are old enough to play adult cricket, the club season also finishes mid July.

That means a child who doesn't get cricket at school might only play seven or eight games a season and bat three or four times all year. And they might train with the clubs in the winter as well as the summer for that return.

All of which is why football is the preferable sport to most kids as it runs from August to May with festivals in addition during the months of June and July.

And of course it is also the reason why so many of our cricketers come from the big private schools. That and the fact that playing cricket at the top level isn't cheap for parents. I would estimate that equipment, coaching, playing clothes, subs, county festivals, travel etc etc probably cost between £3k and £5K per annum, whereas if you are any good at football, the club funds virtually everything.
    .... And that is why we keep winning the football World Cup!
    Oh, no, hang on.
    ;-)
  • Options
    A relative collapse with two wickets in two balls: 244-4 off 36.5

Jayawardene 2 (6)
    Sanga 124 (95)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

.... And that is why we keep winning the football World Cup!
    Oh, no, hang on.
    ;-)
    It explains why Bangladesh don't beat us at football.

The other thing, of course, is the attraction of financial reward. An 18 year old will earn approx 18K a season playing cricket for a county. The equivalent of what he would earn in one week at a PL Club.
  • Options
    Matthews has just hit a 20 ball 50. He went from 27 to 51 in four balls and then was caught on the boundary going for a fifth six in consecutive balls.

326-4 off 44
  • Options
    SL 364-9 off their 50.

Sangakkara, Thirimanne and Dilshan have now amassed 1152 runs in this WC.
  • Options
    Woakes and Ali are out of the final game with injuries.
  • Options
    SCOT 188-4, 35 overs / 176 required from 90 balls

Coleman 70 (71)
    Berrington 20 (10)

Earlier, Mommsen got 60 from 75 balls.
  • Options

SL 364-9 off their 50.

Sangakkara, Thirimanne and Dilshan have now amassed 1152 runs in this WC.

Yeah but could they do it on a drizzly tuesday in May in Derbyshire?
  • Options

Matthews has just hit a 20 ball 50. He went from 27 to 51 in four balls and then was caught on the boundary going for a fifth six in consecutive balls.

326-4 off 44

Fastest ever in ODI's ?
  • Options

At least Tredders will finally get a game
  • Options

At least Tredders will finally get a game
    Almost said as if he'll make a difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BAN 126-3, 30 overs batting first against NZ

ENG vs AFG in Sydney. England win the toss and will bowl first.

Team: Bell, Hales, Taylor, Root, Morgan(c), Buttler, Bopara, Jordan, Broad, Tredwell, Anderson
  • Options
    AFG 20-2, 7.3 overs
  • Options
    Bangladesh finish on 288-7. Mahmudullah got another hundred.

They're off the pitch for rain in Sydney. Afghanistan 24-2 after 8.5 overs.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Back on and we are simply outclassing them - 93 for 6 in 32 overs. This is the beginning of England's resurgence. Ahem.
  • Options
    What are those orange t-shirts that a lot of the crowd are wearing?
  • Options
    It's the T shirt of the N Z World Cup sponsors, Tui.

Anyone wearing the shirt and catching a six one-handed during tournament matches played in New Zealand, wins a share of NZ$1,000,000
  • Options
    For what it's worth England actually beat Afghanistan by 9 wickets in a rain affected match

Afghanistan 111-7 off 36.2

England 101-1 off 18.1 of their permitted 25 overs

Bell 52*
    Hales 37
  • Options
    Wow, so overwhelmed with joy.
  • Options
    In your face Afghanistan !!!!!!
  • Options
    Some great discussion going on between Bob Willis, Rob Key and Jacques Kallis on Sky's "The Verdict" show on where England cricket is going wrong.