Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views: Charlton v Cardiff

Comments

• In the first half we looked like a makeshift team with no goals in it. The second half was excellent,but should not blind us from the fact that we now have 13 points from the last 13 games,relegation form.
    The second half was interesting mainly because Solly and Cousins as wing backs offered a lot going forward and defensively as well. Ogenyu looks like a decent player so maybe we should stick with three at the back. It means that JBG can play across the width of the field and Jackson and Buyens can hold the centre together With two forwards up there would be more goal threat.
  • That had echoes of Swindon on boxing day a few years ago, red cards a shit ref but a never say die attitude
  • @cabbles agree with most of what you posted, although I would say it took JBG longer to get going than 30 minutes. But when he did, he was causing all kinds of havoc before an absolutely stunning goal. It wasn't that he was moved to the left, he seemed rather to be playing a roving central role. Agree that the keeper looked sound, and Tuc had the best game I've seen from him. But overall I thought the one player who turned up for the entire 94 minutes was Tal Ben Haim.

Yes Ben Haim was class. Also did our best bit of attacking in the 1st half but just over hit the pass to Tuc.

Just really happy with the spirit and work rate of the team, I left proud of them.

Cardiff were pathetic. We had 60% possession, 18 shots (7 on target), and that was all in 60 mins I reckon as we really didn't get going until after Harriott went off. They deserved nothing from the game the way they played.
  • edited December 2014
    Good to draw in the end but we were by far the better team and could easily have taken all three points. Even hit the post twice. However, Cardiff are a piss-poor outfit; let's make no bones about it.

Yet again we looked a better team with Tucudean in the side - particularly when Vetokele came on. How Harriott could possibly start ahead of either of them is beyond me. He was awful today and we looked a better side once he was sent off. Left baffled by those clapping him off. It's not like he'd put a shift in and was unlucky to be sent off. It was a stupid coward's challenge and just about the only thing the ref (tosser) got right all game. Let his team-mates down today.

Great to see that fight second half. If we were consistent there's no reason why we couldn't do what someone like Ipswich are doing. A pretty ordinary, well-organised team who generally hang on to leads and keep it tight (like they did against us). We should never have lost to them a few weeks ago so I hope we can put that right at Portman Road next week.
  • I think going down to ten men actually helped us. We suddenly had no pressure on us to win so really went for it.

What a goal though. JBG was useless in the first half but was absolutely superb in the 2nd. You could see he was growing in confidence and was desperate to score. He probably gets my MOTM but TBH drove him close.

Another what if moment. The one player I'd want a 1on1 to fall to was number 14 but it wasn't to be.

Unlucky Charlton
  • Definitely a draw that feels like a win. I thought Harriet was rubbish and we didn't actually miss him. George puts a real shift in and worked his nuts off. The goal was an absolute cracker and I don't think anybody in the ground could say we did not deserve at least a point from that game. thoroughly entertaining match though and hopefully something for us to build upon

Special mention for the referee. Though I have absolutely no idea what to say about him he was frankly incredible. The guy who nearly beheaded George should've got a red card he then would not have been on the line to make a clearance to stop us equalising earlier. Not to mention the fact that this guy also then tried to foul our goalkeeper as he was kicking the ball out and then committed another foul shortly afterwards he could and should have had one red and two yellow cards in the same game! Incredible amount of playacting time wasting and how much time did it take for their number 17 to take a fucking throw on! If their fans are subjected to that every week then I feel for them. One tactic get in the box that's all they did!
  • edited December 2014

RedChaser said:

Amazing effort and tenacity in the second half, full credit to the team. But why must we go a goal down to show that kind of hunger and desire to run at goal with the ball at feet. Surely players don't make a conscious effort to only try hard when they are losing?

Goals change games and so do half time rollickings, a seige mentality and substitutions. :-)
    But we need it every week aaaggghhh
    Of course we do and that's Bobs dillema, having been forced into something that worked, hopefully he can get them to take today's second half performance into Tuesday's game at Ipswich.
  • After not touching the ball for what seemed like 25mins, the rest of FH not too much better. The second half with 10 we seemed like a different team.. There is a small problem with not playing for 90 minutes though with Ipswich up next! Seems Bob may have found his way forward through chance today, bulk the midfield out and sack Pope & Fox off.. It's that simple. :-) A win there would be absolutely massive.. just need to play for the 90 and a bit of a kinder ref, for sure, would help.

Well done to Johann for the storming goal too.. his family were there today, they will be over the moon!
  • Sponsored links:

• Vetokle miss cost me £45 :@(
  • Found myself "liking" nearly every post made so far. Love the positivity from everyone - let's keep it going, guys.

What a fight back that was ! Even if we only draw a game , it's the manner in which we play that galvanises the fans & makes them want to come again.

VERY disappointed with CH. Remember SCP saying 2 seasons ago that "we" nearly lost the player earlier in that term but "me & Alex have worked hard to get him back on track"....Make of that what you will but I fear this young man could be "lost" for the last time as far as a red/white shirt is concerned.

My MOM : Ben Haim.

Oh, and hope that ref goes straight back in the Christmas cracker he fell out of....

Joke.

Onwards to Portman Road !
  • edited December 2014
    Southbank said:

In the first half we looked like a makeshift team with no goals in it. The second half was excellent,but should not blind us from the fact that we now have 13 points from the last 13 games,relegation form.
    The second half was interesting mainly because Solly and Cousins as wing backs offered a lot going forward and defensively as well. Ogenyu looks like a decent player so maybe we should stick with three at the back. It means that JBG can play across the width of the field and Jackson and Buyens can hold the centre together With two forwards up there would be more goal threat.

Playing 3 at the back regularly can bring its own problems, but with the personnel current available it has to be worth a try. Solly probably unavailable for Ipswich but Wilson should also be well suited to a right wing back role.
  • the sky reporter said Harriott was our best player up until he was sent off , which clearly contradicts with what people are saying on here
  • edited December 2014
    Slade has made Cardiff into a 1st Division side, the time wasting was worse than Barnsley. The ref was the worse one we have at the Valley for many a long year. Not sure the the goalkeeper was ant better than Pope. He was hardly tested.
  • the sky reporter said Harriott was our best player up until he was sent off , which clearly contradicts with what people are saying on here

That says more about how we played first half honestly. He was the liveliest player on the team first half.
  • My summary:

I had a Brussel Sprout that was bigger than Calum Harriots brain for dinner yesterday.
    10 men performance was exceptional.
    Bob Peters substitutes were bold and effective
    Ben-Haim, Bikey, Solly and Johan were outstanding
    What a goal
    I want to give Igor a cuddle and tell him it will be OK.

I can't write what I really want to about the ref, but I guess you all think the same.
  • Congratulations to Russell Slade and the 12 men of Cardiff City you did Conference football proud to day.

If a team needs a creative midfielder I suspect Peter Wittingham is looking for pastures new.

We were robbed - but so good to see the spirit and effort among the Charlton players. Also shows that we can go 3 at the back when we need to chase a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• First half was so desperately bad, so utterly devoid of any attacking threat or hunger and desire to win, it seemed like an inevitability that they would score and we wouldn't even come close. I felt really sorry for Harriott, because he actually was bothering to play like a striker and was putting a shift in, chasing down balls, making chances out of nothing. George was appalling and I'd like to think Bob gave him a bollocking as he was superb in the second half and worked his arse off and made several chances.

Second half brilliant, so nice to see us go out, attack and at least equalise and maybe go for a win. On the balance of chances in the end we should've won, hit the post at least twice and Igor needs to work on his one-on-ones in training, that's the second time I've seen him choke it, hope it doesn't knock his confidence too much.

JBG was also brilliant, after looking so tentative in the first half he was running at their defence, cutting inside with pace and shooting and causing problems. I haven't cheered that much when he scored that worldie since the Wigan winner, I've lost my voice. What a goal.

Was a bit confused when Bob made the change to 3 at the back but it worked brilliantly and gave us licence to go forward, so play fair to him although it all got a bit all over the place with Bikey and Onyewu both went forward, Solly looked great going forward and Buyens stringed everything back together beautifully.

The ref for me didn't have that bad a game - the two main decisions from my view he got spot on. The Harriott sending off was spot on, I was right behind it and he went right in on Noone's ankle with his studs up, can have no complaints. As for the Cardiff yellow card, from where I was there was another defender back. Only problem was he had no control over Cardiff time wasting and taking advantage from throw-ins. And the fourth official should've sent some of their staff to the stands, it was a joke at times.

Only negative would be Cousins for me today, felt sorry for him but he gave the ball away far too often, with not much time until our next match hopefully he'll bounce straight back but not his best today.

Feeling a lot more positive now than I did at the end of the first half, just so much better to see us go out and attack after going to away games where we have sat back. The crowd and atmosphere was so much better as a result and we go right behind them in the second half.
  • Dreadful first half but second 45 was excellent - TBH and Tucudean stood out. Stunning goal for JBG!
    Cardiff were awful to watch and the ref was possibly the worst I've ever seen. Etheridge came to claim everything and seems a lot more decisive than Pope.
    Still gutted by Igor's miss at the end.
  • No problem with the sending off, big problem with the man who did the sending off. Strange and erratic decisions all game. God only knows what gos through the mans head during games.

If I were a Cardiff fan I would be kicking sheep tonight, 1-0 up against 10 men and they sit back and do nothing for 60 minutes. Deserve to lose with tactics like that.

Second half was why I keep going to football. It had it all except a winner but the goal was worthy of winning any game.

Also liked the warm cider sold at the back of the east stand.

I thought he was poor throughout his 26 minutes. Poor first touch, and not so much muscled off the ball as blown off it. It's also not the first time I've seen him lunge in after his touch had lost him the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if Bob washes his hands of him now. On a good day he can be a dangerous player,but that was true of Kyel Reid, and he disappeared without trace.
  • Dreadful first half but second 45 was excellent - TBH and Tucudean stood out. Stunning goal for JBG!
    Cardiff were awful to watch and the ref was possibly the worst I've ever seen. Etheridge came to claim everything and seems a lot more decisive than Pope.

That's a bit harsh on Popey, he wasn't afraid to make decisions when in the team, he was just a young lad who made a couple of bad decisions. He still put his cock on the block though as oohaah would say.
  • edited December 2014
    Don't normally comment on referee's but Mick Russell had a shocker and at the same time motivated the crowd to get behind the team after a poor first half. Ref was far too pedantic with throw in positions yet Brayford takes a throw in 20 yards up from where the ball goes out and ref lets it go. Then decides to give their defender a yellow for a cynical pull back on Tucudean when through instead of a red and also giving point blank handballs against Tucudean and Buyens. Gomez was getting beaten for pace by Adeyemi, Jackson was way off the pace and Harriott just strolled around getting bullied off the ball far too easily. Haven't seen the sending off on TV yet but did not look good from where I was sitting. If it was deserved then Harriott should have known better after the ref warned him 5 minutes earlier for pulling back one of the defenders. Second half you would not have known it was Charlton that were a man down and they came out like demons possessed. Peeters substitutions were perfect with Onyewu shoring up the left hand side and Igor running at a defense that had not really been tested so far. You just knew that something would happen after the amount of chances that were being created and a Gudmundson left foot thunderbolt ending up in the top right of the net got us back in it. And just when you think the excitement had finished a lovely ball through to Vetokele see's him one on one with the keeper only to blast it over the bar. Marshall was probably Cardiffs man of the match keeping them in it and as for Kenwyn Jones, what a useless lump he was and it summed him up when he bottled a 50/50 with Buyens in the second half. Cracking second half forgettable first and will be dreaming of that last minute one on one nestling in the net!

That's a bit harsh on Popey, he wasn't afraid to make decisions when in the team, he was just a young lad who made a couple of bad decisions. He still put his cock on the block though as oohaah would say.
    Don't feel Pope has dominated his box in the last two games whereas Etheridge came for everything today. Not doubting Pope as a shot stopper but he's made a number of poor decisions in recent games.
  • Poor starting 11 and first half was terrible as a result. I nearly went home at half time it was that grim.
    Little credit to Bob from me, just the players.
    Cornered rat and the gamble payed off.
  • Poor first half, George best game for us. Poor officials all round, the play before the throw that led to their goal was offside, the Lino missed it. Couldn't understand some of the handballs he gave against us in the first half, yet seem to allow the same thing if it was a Cardiff player. How much time did Cardiff waste with their throws? Not sure if it was a red for pulling George back, however from the free kick, I watched the ref count out 10 yards and then let the wall stay where it was, about 9 yards, poor weak reffing.

Great goal to get us back in the game, Igor miss at the end cost me £180.