Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views: Charlton v Cardiff

Comments

• Posting without reading
    Trying to post without ranting (too much).

First half was dire. Complete toilet. Uncoordinated and not even fit to grace the astro down at the local Goals.

Second half - brilliant.

Not sure if Harriot's sending off plus a bollocking from Big Bad Bob was what galvanised the lads but they went for it. Subs were spot on and changed things around.

Etheridge seemed nervous first half. Wondered if he was expecting grief from the home crowd as Pope has got. Second half he was considerably better. Not sure if he's better than Pope - hard to tell from just one game.

JBG came alive second half - sheer bad luck bounced at least two shots off the woodwork. Thought The Beast and TBH kept things together at the back.
    Vetokele's miss was gutting - but he was clearly as peeved as we were.

Particular mention for the referee. It takes someone with special talent to be such a complete arsehole - and this feller really outshone himself. Surely the club will complain about him?
  • Excellent result considering it was 10 against 12 for for 60 mins, never seen such time wasting from any side in 56 years of watching football.
    Like to see Callum's tackle again but did seem to be studs first but I was long way away seen much worse Cardiff officials and players got Harriott his red card
    Wouldn't say ref had poor game more like out and out cheating to give Cardiff result they didn't deserve
    Shame Igor couldn't convert to give Cardiff what the deserved absolutely nothing

A big well done to whole team and Bob Peeters sure seems to inspire the team
    goal of the season form Gudmundsson Sure will take a goal to beat it
  • Dreadful first half but second 45 was excellent - TBH and Tucudean stood out. Stunning goal for JBG!
    Cardiff were awful to watch and the ref was possibly the worst I've ever seen. Etheridge came to claim everything and seems a lot more decisive than Pope.
    Still gutted by Igor's miss at the end.

That's a bit harsh on Popey, he wasn't afraid to make decisions when in the team, he was just a young lad who made a couple of bad decisions. He still put his cock on the block though as oohaah would say.
    Don't feel Pope has dominated his box in the last two games whereas Etheridge came for everything today. Not doubting Pope as a shot stopper but he's made a number of poor decisions in recent games.
    Bad decision making isn't the same as being indecisive though.
  • First half 0/10. Second half 10/10 and unlucky not to win. Referee was a compete paper hat. Substitutions turned the game. I can now forgive Bikey for that last minute miss against Blackpool. Vetokele's miss today was criminal.
  • the sky reporter said Harriott was our best player up until he was sent off , which clearly contradicts with what people are saying on here

That says more about how we played first half honestly. He was the liveliest player on the team first half.
    Harriott was poop once again. He needs a long spell in the stiffs.
  • edited December 2014
    Unbelievable turn around, just goes to show what positive intent can do. wonderful goal from JBG.
    Harriet was dire and probably did us a favour getting sent off.
    Poor old Igor looked gutted at the end. George looked up for it today.
    Please Bob play them both up top for a couple of games.
  • Not surprised the Ref had a bad game after reading this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20866989

I remember that. Unbelievable that this fella is still reffing at this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Harriott looked our liveliest player before being sent off, but I was sat a long way away from what happened so need to see it. From what others are saying it seems justified. Cardiff's goal came from a throw in that should have been offside. I can't remember such a partial ref, but either way a combo of his bias and incompetence and Cardiff's time wasting allowed us back in. I mentioned to my daughter about timewasting in the first half with a 1-0 lead was bound to lead to them coming unstuck. Second half was a big improvement, felt there was only one team in it and we were unlucky to only get one. And what a goal! Thought JBG was lightweight first half (as were loads others) but stepped up 2nd, as did loads of others. Tucudean really unlucky not to score - hit the post twice. Loved the fight, loved Solly banging forward with TBH and Buyens. Can't tell how good Etheridge will be but thought his distribution was spot on apart from a few wayward kicks. He was immediately looking to get the ball out and could see him featuring again on Tuesday.
  • Bringing on Igor and Oneywu changed the game. I thought Oneywu looked really good and freed up Bikey to push forward a bit. Igor looked really sharp. It was a shame about the miss though. I thought TBH was immense today and JBG's goal was top class.

First half we were woeful. Second half we were a different team and everything clicked. We deserved to win. I liked the look of the new goalie.
  • In the first half we were rubbish. Cardiff didn't let us play at all and took their one chance. Harriott's first touch was consistently appalling, and he then followed one with a very bad tackle that was a fully deserved red.

The second half was a different story. Despite being a man down we played very well indeed, Gudmundsson at the heart of almost everything. I actually shouted out 'DON'T SHOOT!' as he let fly, so that shows what I know. Tucudean had a decent game as well, including an ambitious overhead ball which Gudmundsson ran on to and from which he forced Marshall to tip wide, as well as the ball through for Igor's chance. I have criticised Buyens for his sideways-ness, but he kept us ticking over very nicely today, even if once or twice he dwelt a tad too long on the ball. Bikey was very tired by the end and Cardiff nearly had an opportunity thanks to him not challenging for an aerial ball, but was otherwise OK. By the end he, Ben Haim and Onyewu were playing in a back three. Another positive was Etheridge, who came confidently to collect and punch crosses and kicked well for the most part.

After the awful display at Blackburn this was an encouraging improvement. We still have the problem of not being able to play well for the full 90 minutes, but we showed character to come back from 1-0 down with 10 men and indeed should have won it at the end.
  • Really enjoyed the game, and disappointed to not come away with the win at the end. Second half though we were fantastic, and were very unlucky with hitting the post and some great last ditch defence and saves from cardiff. Was impressed with Etheridge, JBG came alive in the second half - how many times did he hit the bar/ have it cleared off the line? and WHAT a goal! Oneywu looked fairly good when he came on. No idea what happened with the defending for their goal, Cardiff really didn't have much about them for a team that has just come down, other than a bloke who can launch it into the box ala Delap.

Didn't get a clear view of the sending off, but judging by how quick the referee got the red out and how little protesting there was, it looked like a correct decision. The ref was another one obsessed with where each throw in and free kick were taken, and was not inclined to give us much. Thought we should have had a couple of penalties for handball.

Can't believe Igor missed, that would have been the icing on top of a fantastic second half performance. Will forgive him this time ;) Great atmosphere second half too. Thought George looked good, great link up play, and his acrobatics came off more often than not. Played a few excellent through balls. TBH came forward well, and once again him and the Beast were commanding at the back. Last two games I have seen (other being Ipswich) we have looked very good at times, just a shame we haven't been able to get the three points. Still, really enjoyed the game and all the excitement, looking forward to seeing us again soon, hopefully Watford away!

COYR
  • Cant believe that we had 60% of the possession for a team that has 10-men against a newly relegated side from the Premier League thats embarassing
  • 1st half was absolutely dreadful and I was resigned to us being on the end of a miserable defeat once Harriott got sent off. If that boy could trap a ball properly then he wouldn't have had to make such a stupid challenge.

Then again, with someone like Harriott being such a luxury player it didn't seem to affect us too much in the second half and we absolutely dominated Cardiff.

Absolute 'scenes' when Gudmundsson thundered it home!
  • Wonderful spirit from the team - and all credit to BP for going for it in the 2nd half. Just wish we spent a bit more time practising set pieces - another game where defending them cost us and we failed to use them ourselves.
  • Yes, at 0.1 down and down to 10 men I couldn't see any way we could get something from this game but our 2nd half performance was full of fight, self-belief, courage, good football and a refusal to lose. We absolutely battered them in the 2nd half and just couldn't quite win it. What a cracking strike for our goal. After the 1st half a point is a great result for us.
  • edited December 2014

Playing with 10 men second half, you wouldn't have known. Playing with Harriott IS regularly like playing with 10 men, the guy is ineffective. Mindless tackles, stupid and worth the red card. Amazingly people clapped him off the pitch?!

Igor needs to have a little look at himself. In recent weeks, a lot of miss control when in dangerous positions and off colour finishing. It really was a terrible miss at the end, like a training exercise, 1 on 1 against the keeper with SO much time and he produced a truly woeful finish. To be fair, he looked gutted and I'm not digging him out. The Covered End, rightly so, gave him a round of applause and vocal support, which is how we should be to our players. However, all I'll say, if that was Pigott, Church or a Sordell miss from last year, there would have been a chorus of boos and calls for him to never play again. He's lucky he's a fans favourite else he'd have been getting pelters. I hope the Vet can get back on song soon.

Thank goodness we have balanced, objectively minded people like you to point out when we're guilty of applying double standards.

• Sponsored links:

• Hope we can see more of Onyewu now. His longer throws into the box really gave us something extra in that second half.

Agree and thought he looked calm on the ball and looked to find a man with a pass rather than playing a percentage/risky ball or a hoof.
    He looked a bit short on pace when I saw the odd one on one so might struggle against quicker wide men or wing backs but definitely made a difference today - another positive, as you say.
  • Superb 2nd half, great goal

Harriott would've stayed on if he could trap a ball, but I suspect that'll be the last we see if him for a while.
  • just saw this on twitter

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 14m14 minutes ago
    So many of you have been in touch, and Gudmundsson's late equaliser for Charlton vs Cardiff is your Goal of the Day! #GoalsExpress
  • So proud of us in the 2nd half. Yeah, I recall the Swindon game and the much-maligned Miguel Llera (who always played his heart out for us). Today though was different. Totally clueless for 45 mins and then a real display of character and no little skill. Tucudean was immense (never thought I'd be saying that) and Gudmundsson
  • edited December 2014

Playing with 10 men second half, you wouldn't have known. Playing with Harriott IS regularly like playing with 10 men, the guy is ineffective. Mindless tackles, stupid and worth the red card. Amazingly people clapped him off the pitch?!

Igor needs to have a little look at himself. In recent weeks, a lot of miss control when in dangerous positions and off colour finishing. It really was a terrible miss at the end, like a training exercise, 1 on 1 against the keeper with SO much time and he produced a truly woeful finish. To be fair, he looked gutted and I'm not digging him out. The Covered End, rightly so, gave him a round of applause and vocal support, which is how we should be to our players. However, all I'll say, if that was Pigott, Church or a Sordell miss from last year, there would have been a chorus of boos and calls for him to never play again. He's lucky he's a fans favourite else he'd have been getting pelters. I hope the Vet can get back on song soon.

Thank goodness we have balanced, objectively minded people like you to point out when we're guilty of applying double standards.

Pretty stupid comparison to make really. One has made the mistake of missing a 1-on-1 in the last minute having pulled things out the fire for us on several occasions.

The other has made a stupid, cowardly studs-up challenge with half an hour gone and arguably cost us points with his petulance - letting his team-mates down.

From your reply, I'd put money on you leading the clapping...
  • Playing with 10 men second half, you wouldn't have known. Playing with Harriott IS regularly like playing with 10 men, the guy is ineffective. Mindless tackles, stupid and worth the red card. Amazingly people clapped him off the pitch?!

The way I saw it, one player launches in with a terrible leg breaker of a tackle leaving his team up against it for an hour. The other was someone who missed a chance on goal and then looks heartbroken for it. Unlikely to encourage or clap someone off for the former.
    Or two players making mistakes that they did not mean to make.

I wouldn't encourage Igor to miss like that again either, but unless in either situation it comes down to a player not trying, which in both cases it didn't (if anything Callum was trying too hard to rectify for his bad touch), a Charlton player playing at the Valley should be treated with sympathy and support so they always feel like the crowd is with them in the hope that next time they'll be more relaxed and do a better job as a result. That's why we're call supporters.
  • Couldn't make it today so really happy to read about the improved performance. That strike by JBG is the substance to add to the style that I complained about on the Astrit thread. A turning point to get our season back on track? Here's hoping!
  • Game of two halves, insipid first half,inspired second. Ref shite as others have said, definitely should have sent off their defender when tucudean was bearing down on goal. New keeper looked more confident than Pope. Cardiff were unbelievably poor second half, only the ref and our bad luck in front of goal saved them from defeat.