Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Views: Charlton v Cardiff

Comments

• Shocking 1st half , 2nd half superb .
  • Merry Xmas j hope you and the family had a great time
  • Credit to Bob for making some big calls and changing it up - going two at the front and three at the back is bold with 10 men, but it worked very well. That was probably Tuck's best game for us yet, hit the post, drew some good saves and at least one block on the line, the poor guy just could not get the ball into the net - lucky Johann had his moment of brilliance. If that had come even 5 minutes earlier, Cardiff would have collapsed I think, even so we were unlucky not to win.

Ben Haim was excellent, Etheridge looks solid though didn't have many saves to make, Buyens kept things ticking over. Jackson was clearly not 100% fit but gave everything he had, Solly was superb as usual. I also said to my dad that Onyewu looks pretty solid to be coming off the bench, Morrison's departure may not be the blow I feared it would be.

• edited December 2014
    I haven't missed a home game for five years - and can't recall one like this to stir the blood. It had it all - almost. Harriott red-carded for a vicious challenge and the ref subjected to a tsunami of abuse - and in the second half, waves of quick breaks: we hit the post twice, Tucudean connected with fresh air with a bicycle-kick, Cardiff knocked our fumbled shots off the line.

The whole stadium was in a frenzy, urging us forward: a cracking drive to the top corner from Gudmundsson with five minutes to go sent us to delirium - then Vetokele was clean through against the keeper at the death...

A fortnight ago at 2-2 against Blackpool in the last minute of injury time, Bikey demolished The Valley by side-footing the easiest of chances over the bar from seven yards. Today again - that's four points we have simply thrown away. Meanwhile, Boro and Derby win assuredly, Brentford and Bournemouth power forward.

For all 15,000 of us today it was agony and ecstasy - and agony again. Poor individual ball control all over the pitch - yet good fighting spirit when we were down to ten men. Quicker raw attacking - yet no rehearsed method when approaching the box. And a fabulously wealthy owner - who makes a virtue of his tightfistedness.

Oh, Igor, Igor, Igor - Ten seconds after his appalling miss, the ref peeped for full-time: Igor slumped to the turf, disbelieving, distraught. Their keeper and then our players stooped to tap him on the shoulder in consolation. My mate in the Lower North, who has been watching Charlton since 1958, turned to me and said: "Bury him."

• Credit to the boys, massive 2nd half display, could have given up, shows great team spirit. Great crowd also. Well done lads/ladies
  • A really poor first half, compounded by the sending off, during which we constantly conceded possession. All a desperately average Cardiff side had to do was squeeze up on us, keep their shape (not difficult, with no real movement or dynamism from us) and wait for a break. At half time, I'd have bitten your hand off for a point.

An outstanding second half, brimming with quality, desire and attacking zest. The change of shape and substitutions were pivotal - so credit to Bob there - and if ever a man deserved a goal, it was JBG after several good strikes at goal. George Tuc did very well, the whole team raised their game and the crowd responded. TBH was imperious throughout.

As for Cardiff, I thought they were absolute toilet. A bunch of overpaid under performers, who showed no real desire and who stank the place out with their time wasting tactics. I've always quite liked Russell Slade but have certainly lost some respect for him after today. Their fans can't be happy - especially with Tan in charge. Although it's still early days for Roland, I know who I'd rather have at the helm.

We know we need to strengthen next month and the second half emphasised to me that we're only a couple of players short of being a really decent team.
  • edited December 2014
    Want to improve my match day experience, RD, put on this quality, attacking football more regularly, people will come back and pay fully for the experience. Great second half. After some jank performances this was needed to remind everyone why they keep returning.
  • Home for Xmas so first game since August 2013. Cardiff's tactics were to pump ball up to Jones and feed off him. We failed to deal with it first 10 mins and they went one up. Why our smallest player Solly was marking Jones was beyond me. Harriot's lack of control cost us the red card. He lost the ball on numerous occasions and dived in for the red card tackle. Saying that it was a bit harsh. We were awful first half. Buyens strolling around and Jackson and Cousins ineffective. Second half starting brighter. When BP changed to 3 at the back and brought on Igor and Gooch (Oneywu) we looked a lot better. Buyens started pulling strings and Gudmundson was a real threat. Tucudean put in a real shift and we looked like getting an equalizer with the lively Igor causing problems. When it came what an equalizer it was a rasping left drive that nestled in the top corner of the net. Igor could have got all 3 points but somehow scuffed the shot at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and head back to the US with a wonderful memory of that goal !
  • Having seen the sending off again. Yes his foot was a bit hight I think Callum has made a genuine attempt to get the ball and had no intent in getting the player. He is not a dirty player. There isn't a bad bone in his body. It just happens their lad is a bit quicker and Callum catches the top of his ankle. That is the danger of having a high foot. But I think it was accidental. I can see why the ref would give a red. On another day it would have been a yellow. But not this time. We will have to take the suspention on the chin.
  • Having seen the sending off again. Yes his foot was a bit hight I think Callum has made a genuine attempt to get the ball and had no intent in getting the player. He is not a dirty player. There isn't a bad bone in his body. It just happens their lad is a bit quicker and Callum catches the top of his ankle. That is the danger of having a high foot. But I think it was accidental. I can see why the ref would give a red. On another day it would have been a yellow. But not this time. We will have to take the suspention on the chin.

Doesn't need to be deemed as not going for the ball. It was wreckless and a straight red.

• Sponsored links:

Doesn't need to be deemed as not going for the ball. It was wreckless and a straight red.

Missed timed but he did catch him in a dangerous place sadly.
  • Damn, Cardiff are an ugly team. I mean, I'm talking Dowie ugly. I know we haven't exactly been playing sparkling football this season but at least we've been trying. Not sure I'd be ecstatic as a Cardiff fan to watch my team throw a ball at a goal for 90 minutes. Ah well, it kind of played into our hands in a way.

As many have already said, first half...not very good at all, second half...not half bad at all.

Not much more I can add to that, other than...CH's sending off was warranted, him not being on the field actually did us a favour, the ref is off my Christmas card list for next year, Bob's subs were spot on in the second half, full praise to the team for the way they reacted when down to 10 men, George played out of his skin but just couldn't put the ball in the net, Ben Haim was my MOTM, Igor's chance will haunt my nightmares, and that goal ladies and gentlemen was an absolute thunderbastard.

This has been something of a "what if" season so far. There have been so many moments that have led us all to ask this question, that it just goes to show you how close we are to something pretty bloody special. You could get a fag paper between the margins this season.

Whilst not a complete impossibility, the playoffs are looking more and more distant by the game, so we just all need to take a deep breath, chill out, give Tony Watt a hug and just see where the rest of this season takes us. With a bit of luck we could end it on a high but lets not kid ourselves, this was always going to be a season of learning, transition and building. Next season is where the party's at.
  • edited December 2014
    Not buying the idea that Harriott deserved applause on leaving the pitch. He isn't a kid, and has been playing first team football for long enough to know better.

Didn't deserve any abuse, but certainly shouldn't be getting a warm departure. He let us down big time, and he had better be glad that JBG got us out of trouble today.
  • Yeh players always seem to get applauded off when they get a red card, a bit odd, he's a good lad and will learn from it
  • Harriott wasn't missed. We would have lost with him on. George and Ben Haim were superb today. Ventokele missed his chance of legendary status , as George did against Millwall. I feel when we do well it is by accident not design. No plan from dead balls which is a shame. Ipswich next, oh dear...
  • On one level (thinking out loud) the impetus to applaud a player sent off is in some odd way trying to say to the remaining players 'we're still with youse lot, as we know you have to up your game now', its also a signal to the opposition that we haven't surrendered.
  • Clueless first half but when had the bollocks to attack we did and did it well.
    I've said for ages now when we attack teams like we showed we can do at the start of the season we can beat anyone. It's been so frustrating knowing we can play like that but for some reason we stopped doing it. Well played today boys go out and attack teams from now on we will get more points then we drop.
  • Jeez, it don't feel like we are getting many breaks at the mo. Could have easily had four second half.

Shit refs are sometimes a godsend. Rile the crowd up, annoy the players and suddenly tactics go out the window and players find 20% more.

There are a few things wrong with us on the pitch at the mo. The last half hour will either prove to mask it, or be the catalyst to shake us out of it.

Proper nutty loop loop when the goal went in. Will be interesting to see how Igor reacts.

Finally, never expected Cardiff to be so anti-football, and was as glad them not winning as I was us getting a point.
  • Somebody has used the word surreal to sum up the second half - spot on. It was bonkers stuff. At one point Bikey was playing left winger, Ben Haim was pushing up as an inside forward and Solly was all over the pitch. The iceman who hasn't hit the target in weeks suddenly unleashes a screamer and George T is making a real impact on the game and came oh so close. His attitude was excellent in that second 45. It started with a full blooded tackle in his own half and went on from there. The yank finally made a showing and was the difference as he covered for the two centre halves to go on their adventures...and he does long throws too. Terrific stuff and the least said of the Igor blast over the better. Ref was hopeless and allowed a ropey Cardiff side too much lee way in their constant time wasting (and missed a stonewall penalty for handball). The sending off was spot on though. Our young man can't tackle properly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Second half we were absolute class. Hope Bob tries 3 at the back from the start in the next game. Would like to see:

--------Etheridge
    --Bikey - BenHaim - Onyewu
    Solly - Buyens - Jacko - Cousins
    ---------Johann
    ----Tucuden - Veto

In the next game. Tucudean was class today, as was Johann
  • Merry Xmas j hope you and the family had a great time

Cheers mate hope u ad a good un also ,and the kids and rest of family had a great time mate , how we never won today was unbelievable but the 2nd half performance was superb showed proper spirit , also said losing Harriott would do us a favour ie moving the ball quicker , we are so methodical at times moving the ball , with them shutting us down with the extra player it made us up the tempo of playing the ball .
  • Marvellous fightback. We looked so fluid when attacking with only ten men. Everything was so much crisper and quicker. If only we'd played like that from the off.

George was my man of the match today. Hopefully he'll come good now. He definitely deserved a goal on today's performance, I hope he gets one soon.
  • edited December 2014
    I don't buy all this about Cardiff taking too long over throw-ins, so their play is negative. Their goal was scored from a long and precise throw-in, flicked on and clinically buried. Every team in this division comes to The Valley with trepidation: for them, a draw is a superb result.

It is our right and our duty to impose authority, yet look at us: We start home games with only one up front: that is inexcusable, whether on Hackney Marshes or at the San Siro. Harriott isn't a striker. Tucudean hits fresh air with a bicycle kick, and is later on his back in the six-yard-box, floundering and poking the last vestige of a desperate attack straight to the keeper.

Against Millwall two months ago, Vetokele was fed directly to his feet in the box when alone and free - and the ball scooted under his boot. Chance wasted, and repeated twice in the next home game. Again and again: it's a lack of simple, basic technical skills that fails us, the fans.

This season, at last, we have a sturdy defence. Our midfield - utterly pathetic for the last two years - is gaining strength through quantity if not quality. Today, Peeters misjudged the 30 minutes between Harriott being red-carded and sending on Vetokele: For all that time, a glorious luxury for Cardiff, we had only one striker - At home and 0-1 down, our man up front was isolated again.

In the 85th minute Peeters was at the edge his area, imploring Tucudean and Igor to be closer to each other. Well, well, well: It doesn't take the whole of The Valley to see they are miles apart, and that to score we need an attacking partnership that is rehearsed on the training ground over and again, such that play becomes clever and ruthless by intuition.

So natural, in fact, that an opposing team taking their time over long, accurate and incisive throw-ins could be beaten.

• Don't mind Harriot seeing red cuz I don't know y he was in the first team anyways. 3gms without him might allow someone to step up and fill a void in the attack. So lightweight and can't finish.
  • How anyone can post something negative after that is beyond me. Everyone should be proud after today, the lads gave 110% in a charlton shirt and that is the most important thing.

You should sit where I sit, the guy in front of me was full of abuse for George throughout the game, culminating with the block on the line when George was subjected to '"you c..., you're an f'ing useless c....".
  • I don't buy all this about Cardiff taking too long over throw-ins, so their play is negative. Their goal was scored from a long and precise throw-in, flicked on and clinically buried. Every team in this division comes to The Valley with trepidation: for them, a draw is a superb result.

It is our right and our duty to impose authority, yet look at us: We start home games with only one up front: that is inexcusable, whether on Hackney Marshes or at the San Siro. Harriott isn't a striker. Tucudean hits fresh air with a bicycle kick, and is later on his back in the six-yard-box, floundering and poking the last vestige of a desperate attack straight to the keeper.

Against Millwall two months ago, Vetokele was fed directly to his feet in the box when alone and free - and the ball scooted under his boot. Chance wasted, and repeated twice in the next home game. Again and again: it's a lack of simple, basic technical skills that fails us, the fans.

This season, at last, we have a sturdy defence. Our midfield - utterly pathetic for the last two years - is gaining strength through quantity if not quality. Today, Peeters misjudged the 30 minutes between Harriott being red-carded and sending on Vetokele: For all that time, a glorious luxury for Cardiff, we had only one striker - At home and 0-1 down, our man up front was isolated again.

In the 85th minute Peeters was at the edge his area, imploring Tucudean and Igor to be closer to each other. Well, well, well: It doesn't take the whole of The Valley to see they are miles apart, and that to score we need an attacking partnership that is rehearsed on the training ground over and again, such that play becomes clever and ruthless by intuition.

So natural, in fact, that an opposing team taking their time over long, accurate and incisive throw-ins could be beaten.

Cheer up.