Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

and now in paris

Comments

• Options
    Thanks LA, just couldn't think what it was called.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

So you're saying no one should be allowed to practice their religion?

When it impacts my freedom to openly follow my atheist beliefs.............yes.
    Practice it at home in the bedroom, same as sex. I don't want other peoples religions affecting my life, just as I don't want to know about their sexuality. IMO these two important aspects of ones life she be kept completely private. There would be far less friction in this world if this were the case.
    Are you... comparing gay people to religious people here?

Ones a conscious choice, the other isn't.

And what that has to do with this horrible mess in Paris I don't know.

Bizarre comment to make.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    EastStand. I'm also not interested in people's sexuality unless it's a potential partner, because I'm much more interested in the person. I think this is roughly what QA was trying to say.
  • Options
    Pesky Christians taking over our Yuletide celebrations each December.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Pesky Christians taking over our Yuletide celebrations each December.

I try to balance it up by dragging my sorry non-believing arse to midnight mass. Yes really.

• Options
    EastStand said:

colthe3rd said:

Practice it at home in the bedroom, same as sex. I don't want other peoples religions affecting my life, just as I don't want to know about their sexuality. IMO these two important aspects of ones life she be kept completely private. There would be far less friction in this world if this were the case.

Bizarre comment to make.
    Not at all. Heterosexual, homosexual any sexual. I'll put it another way, I don't want to know what someone does with regards to their sexuality, just as I don't want to know who they worship. Keep certain things private, that is my point and it's what I believe. Fine if you disagree.

• Options

EastStand said:

colthe3rd said:

Bizarre comment to make.
    Not at all. Heterosexual, homosexual any sexual. I'll put it another way, I don't want to know what someone does with regards to their sexuality, just as I don't want to know who they worship. Keep certain things private, that is my point and it's what I believe. Fine if you disagree.

How exactly could one really keep their sexuality private ? If you're married or have a partner should you never mention them outside of your home ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

EastStand said:

colthe3rd said:

Bizarre comment to make.

How exactly could one really keep their sexuality private ? If you're married or have a partner should you never mention them outside of your home ?
    "My... errmmm... flatmate"
  • Options
    se9addick said:

EastStand said:

colthe3rd said:

Bizarre comment to make.

Well I'm certainly not going down this route because this thread will go way off track. I've stated what I think and if you or any other in the PC brigade want to try to paint me as being homophobic, racist or any of the usual accusations that you revert to, go for your lives!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stop getting lost from the subject... Charlie Hebdo and the crazies that shot the place up and were in turn shot up the next day.

Remember innocent people died.
  • Options

se9addick said:

EastStand said:

colthe3rd said:

Bizarre comment to make.

Well I'm certainly not going down this route because this thread will go way off track. I've stated what I think and if you or any other in the PC brigade want to try to paint me as being homophobic, racist or any of the usual accusations that you revert to, go for your lives!

Wow - that was defensive !
  • Options

Would be nice if God would pass on to the NHS the medical tips needed to resurrect dead people.

No worries, we'll carry on losing everyone we love oh loving, compassionate lord.

And cause gross overpopulation?

He/she/it may not be compassionate but he/she/it isn't stupid.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Whilst I am classed as Christian, and wouldn't class myself as an atheist, I wouldn't say I am overly religious. I don't go to church every week but I got married in one and my son was christened in one (as the other will be).

I would be genuinely interested if any of the more serious atheists celebrated Christmas in any way?

I'm a Christian and to be honest the true meaning of Christmas in this country has mainly disappeared, it's essentially a secular celebration now and that's fair enough, it means that all religions & atheists can enjoy it too - Easter is far more important anyway.
    I see where you're coming from, I much prefer a hot cross bun than a mince pie.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Would be nice if God would pass on to the NHS the medical tips needed to resurrect dead people.

No worries, we'll carry on losing everyone we love oh loving, compassionate lord.

He/she/it does NOT exist!
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Prove it!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

EastStand said:

colthe3rd said:

Bizarre comment to make.

Wow - that was defensive !
    I think he's just tired of trying to explain something very simple. Maybe I understood because I don't seek to be offended.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Stop getting lost from the subject... Charlie Hebdo and the crazies that shot the place up and were in turn shot up the next day.

Remember innocent people died.

probably not worded the best way sorry very stressed today...
  • Options
    Come on who had PC brigade in CL bingo?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Prove it!
    Prove that he/she/it does exist....

I struggle to understand how grown adults can be brainwashed into thinking there is some sort of god. It defies all scientific evidence (e.g. molecular biology has shown that we have evolved over millions of years and were not infact the spawn of Adam and Eve).

Coming back to life after being dead for a few days? Feeding 5000 people with a fish or two? Adam and eve? Etc etc do me a favour!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who is to say that Science and 'God' don't actually work hand in hand but over the years have been broken apart and people have now decided they are completely different?

Anyone can make up stories but Religion can't prove God exists and Science can't prove he doesn't.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Who is to say that Science and 'God' don't actually work hand in hand but over the years have been broken apart and people have now decided they are completely different?

Anyone can make up stories but Religion can't prove God exists and Science can't prove he doesn't.

Science doesn't have to prove a negative. It's up to religion to prove it as it is them making the claim.

but we've moved a long way from Paris and this thread is already being shamelessly used for trolling by maybe, baby/Gilan Swift/Angelwings.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Prove it!

I struggle to understand how grown adults can be brainwashed into thinking there is some sort of god. It defies all scientific evidence (e.g. molecular biology has shown that we have evolved over millions of years and were not infact the spawn of Adam and Eve).

Coming back to life after being dead for a few days? Feeding 5000 people with a fish or two? Adam and eve? Etc etc do me a favour!
    You are confusing all Christians with creationists (which is a thread of Christian theological thought).

I believe in God, I believe that Jesus lived and was His embodiment on earth.

I don’t however take the stories of the Bible literally, I see the Bible as a guide that uses stories that would have been interpretable to someone two thousand years ago. How could a book written in those days possibly talk about evolution if human beings didn’t understand this concept until the 1800’s ? It would have made no sense whatsoever in those times so they used stories that people could relate to. However thanks to science it is now demonstrable that evolution is an undisputable truth, that doesn’t disprove God – it simply disproves the Biblical story of creation as a literal depiction of the genesis of mankind.

I highly doubt that we will ever know the full truth however. I’m a protestant Christian but I’m sure there are many aspects of my beliefs that will be proven incorrect one day – I also believe in science however the history of science is essentially the history of people proving that what was once accepted as scientific fact is in fact incorrect, so it would be foolish for me to also think that modern day science is the complete truth.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Science doesn't have to prove a negative. It's up to religion to prove it as it is them making the claim.

but we've moved a long way from Paris and this thread is already being shamelessly used for trolling by maybe, baby/Gilan Swift/Angelwings.
    Not only does science not have to prove a negative, it's actually impossible to do so.

As for the second paragraph, the proof is undeniable.

• Options
    I thought this was a very good piece blasphemy and Islam
  • Options
    Paris suspect Hayat Boumeddiene 'caught on Turkey CCTV'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30786139
  • Options
    se9addick said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Prove it!

You are confusing all Christians with creationists (which is a thread of Christian theological thought).

I don’t however take the stories of the Bible literally, I see the Bible as a guide that uses stories that would have been interpretable to someone two thousand years ago. How could a book written in those days possibly talk about evolution if human beings didn’t understand this concept until the 1800’s ? It would have made no sense whatsoever in those times so they used stories that people could relate to. However thanks to science it is now demonstrable that evolution is an undisputable truth, that doesn’t disprove God – it simply disproves the Biblical story of creation as a literal depiction of the genesis of mankind.

I highly doubt that we will ever know the full truth however. I’m a protestant Christian but I’m sure there are many aspects of my beliefs that will be proven incorrect one day – I also believe in science however the history of science is essentially the history of people proving that what was once accepted as scientific fact is in fact incorrect, so it would be foolish for me to also think that modern day science is the complete truth.
    Stories...exactly...

I personally feel that as more and more science proves many of the bibles (and other religious texts) innacurate, religious types use the "its a guide, not literal" etc...

But surely if it it isnt literal, then it puts the rest of the story into doubt?

If i was to write a landmark scientific paper, then as parts were shown not to be true, people would rightly question the integrity of the rest of the data/conclusions etc

Also, clearly only 1 religion (or no god/etc) can be true. Statistically, that makes religion even less plausable...
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Very good point re proving the negative
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Prove it!
    Why create such a flawed Model.

millions suffering such pain from illness and wars every single day.

or is it all a game.

Create a Model which is not flawed, or are your powers only limited.

• Options

se9addick said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Prove it!

Stories...exactly...

I personally feel that as more and more science proves many of the bibles (and other religious texts) innacurate, religious types use the "its a guide, not literal" etc...

But surely if it it isnt literal, then it puts the rest of the story into doubt?

If i was to write a landmark scientific paper, then as parts were shown not to be true, people would rightly question the integrity of the rest of the data/conclusions etc

Also, clearly only 1 religion (or no god/etc) can be true. Statistically, that makes religion even less plausable...
    To be clearer - I don't believe pretty much anything in the Old Testement happened word for word as described in the Bible (some may be "based on a true story" and other are fabricated for the purposes explained above).