Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Watford v Charlton - Post Embarrassment Views

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    sam3110 said:

Nothing to do with the manager today, or the owner, but everything to do with the joke of a team playing the game.

No leadership

No communication

No guile

No bollocks

No heart

No desire

No intent

No interest

No imagination

No passion

Etheridge, Bikey, Wilson, Buyens, Harriott, Vetokele in my opinion were a disgrace today, either in their attitude or their application, with Ben Haim and Gudmundsson not too far behind. Only Wiggins, Solly and Cousins come away from today with any credit, though all 3's overall performance were still far below what is required from them.

I am going to annoy a lot of people on here with this next statement, but I couldn't care less:

Solly is not captain material, and I wouldn't have him as vice club captain

Yes we were awful today, shambolic even, but I didn't see a leader out there, trying to get the team together, rallying us, being a vocal presence on the pitch, and we needed one.

We also need a new team, one without Wilson, Harriott and Etheridge, all of whom are not good enough to pay at this level.

I would like to see the following team play next week:

Dmitrovic
    Gomez Ben Haim Onyewu Wiggins
    Solly Jackson Cousins Gudmundsson
    Tucudean Watt

Bikey, Buyens and Vetokele need to be dropped based on today, and hopefully they'll realise that dribbling out of your own defense and losing the ball with crap backpasses, failing to win a single second ball and not putting in a tackle or header, and falling over all the time and complaining after miscontrolling the ball respectively, are not good enough actions to keep your place in the side.

Rant over

Can't really disagree with most of that, though Etheridge saved us from losing at least 8-0
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I was at the game today. For the first time in my 44 years following Charlton I saw a team that never showed any effort at all. Yoni Buyens you should be ashamed of your performance today and even more so for showing no respect to those that were there today. Proud of the backing today but not proud of my team. Big respect for Tony Watt for his response to us supporters. Guy Luzon you have got a massive job on your hands to turn this squad around and in my opinion I don't think you are the right man to do it in the current climate.Love my club but finding it difficult to not feel ashamed today.
  • Options
    Don't rate Etheridge but he was by far our best player today, would've of been eight or nine if he wasn't.
  • Options
    It's days like this that happen so that we really enjoy when the days we win. Go and have a beer and confine today's match to 101.

Be happy
  • Options
    philcafc said:

At the moment although we are in freefall there are probably 4 teams at least still worse than us - Blackpool, millwall, Wigan & rotherham. It goes without saying that the remaining games against them are huge.

My fear is that we can still get a lot worse.
  • Options
    We normally have different takes on a game but no one who was there will have anything positive to say, apart from Etheridge's performance. MOM is keeper and he lets in 5 goals!

Rrelegation performance without any doubt. No leadership, no heart. Just depressed.
  • Options
    Wondered before the game if the anger towards RD might just be a Charlton Life thing. Quickly got my answer.
    Such a strange atmosphere - almost unreal, watching such an unbelievably shocking performance. Some good laughs, bouncy, let's pretend we've scored a goal etc, and all the while the team were getting humiliated on the pitch.
    Hard to see a way back from that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Was going to the Wolves match next week. Can't be arsed now and save myself train fare and ticket. Won't spend money to watch that dross. If the players can't be arsed then neither can I.
  • Options

Unlucky Charlton, good performance but just didn't get the breaks. Bring on the Wolves

I would hate to see a bad performance. Utter disgrace, I am seething and I didn't go. I feel for the fans who had to watch that shit.

• Options
    dizzee said:

We are going down.

We had a team like this 4 or 5 years ago. We at last got rid of them and replaced them all with Powell players, real fighters. Pritchard, Morro, Taylor, Court. 100% players.

In one season we have managed to get rid of them all and replace then with the type of players that screwed us over in the first place.

You have summed up the debacle perfectly - nay cojones.

• Options
    Really concerned about relegation for the first time this season. Shocking performance, tactically inept. Not one player had a good game, I do put most of that down to the clueless tactics tbh. They seemed to play far to higher line and left gaps behind the defence.
  • Options
    It wasn't great but let's be honest enough to acknowledge that Watford were outstanding - we couldn't deal with their movement and strength (not least Deeney who was different class).

Watching it from the home end, there was at least no chance of being rumbled.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What can I say?

In 45 years of watching the team, I have never seen such an inept and shambolic display (and I was there when the team shipped in 7 goals at Luton and Brighton). Honestly, it was that bad - the only good thing is that being I live near to Watford I am now home in the warm and not facing a long trek home.

I am still trying to work out whether the team were simply inept or, like many of us, are sick to death of this network farce and couldn't be bothered. I think it must have been a mixture of both.

Just too depressing to try and analyse that performance any deeper but all I would say is that if anyone still seriously thinks a) the team is too good to go down or b) this network nonsense has something going for it, they are completely and utterly bonkers.

I want my money back.

• Options
    Watford were not outstanding. They played in third gear at best.

I'd argue they were worst than when we played them at The Valley. We were laid down like cheap....
  • Options
    What worrys me now against the year we went down is that we clearly have talented players in there but they couldn't give a shit.The year we went down we had Players like Deon Burton,Nicky Bailey,Scott Wagstaff and a few more who were average players but put a shift in for u.This lot you can tell don't wana fight,Put there foot in and give it there all.How many times this season have we gone behind and got something out of games.
  • Options
    It is actually quite rare for us to lose a game so emphatically like that. In the past we've had some weak performances but we normally lose by the odd goal.

• Options
    Can we honestly see us gaining enough points? Was thinking about going but last week's performance decided it for me. Nearly relented after Bog Bob was fired, glad I didn't. Here are our remaining fixtures:
    Wolves V Charlton Sat 24 Jan - we'll lose this
    Charlton V Rotherham Sat 31 Jan - might get a point if we don't concede
    Middlesbrough V Charlton Sat 7 Feb - Boro are better than Watford, enough said
    Charlton V Norwich Tue 10 Feb - easy 3 points for Norwich
    Charlton V Brentford Sat 14 Feb - can't see us getting anything here
    Wigan V Charlton Fri 20 Feb - might get a draw, but no chance if it is on TV
    Derby V Charlton Tue 24 Feb - Derby will want revenge and they'll get it
    Charlton V Huddersfield Sat 28 Feb - Football for a Fiver. Bound to lose.
    Charlton V Nottm Forest Tue 3 Mar - Might win this one if they've still got Pearce
    Cardiff V Charlton Sat 7 Mar - nope
    Charlton V Blackburn Sat 14 Mar - Blackburn took us apart without trying 3 weeks ago. They will do it again
    Blackpool V Charlton Tue 17 Mar - maybe nick a draw
    Charlton V Reading Sat 21 Mar - might be a draw
    Millwall V Charlton Fri 3 Apr - we never win this
    Charlton V Fulham Tue 7 Apr - Fulham are getting better. Can't see us winning
    Sheff Wed V Charlton Sat 11 Apr - Wednesday are improving. They'll get revenge for the thousands of times we've beaten them in recent years
    Bolton V Charlton Tue 14 Apr - maybe nick a draw here
    Charlton V Leeds Sat 18 Apr - Leeds are still pretty woeful, but again a draw will be a result on current form
    Birmingham V Charlton Sat 25 Apr Morrison nailed on to score. Brum win and stay top half
    Charlton V Bournemouth Sat 2 May - Yann scores a screamer to get the Cherries promoted and relegate us.

I reckon on current form that's around another 8 or 9 points we can expect to pick up. We end the season on 40 and carry on playing one of Wigan, Millwall, Rotherham or Blackpool next season.

OR

new manager comes in, gets some team spirit going, we get a couple of additions (in midfield ideally) and we scrape home in 21st.

Given that Luzon appears not even to be able to speak English very well, what are the chances of this?

Either way, following the match thread has done nothing to dispel the memory of the last few performances. No spirit, little talent, disjointed squad, inexperienced manager. Looking great. Over to RD, how much are we worth in League 1?
  • Options
    5 is an odd number.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    How can we as fans show RD our displeasure?
  • Options
    20 games left - 5 wins and a couple of draws will do.
    Can't see it myself.