Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Powell in the Standard (return, Roland etc)

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/i-am-extremely-proud-of-what-i-did-there--former-charlton-boss-chris-powell-speaks-out-ahead-of-valley-return-with-huddersfield-10072871.html

Chris Powell has had Saturday, February 28 highlighted in his diary for a while. Tomorrow marks the date he will make an emotional return to The Valley for the first time since leaving Charlton last March.

“I would be a liar if I said I did not look for this game as soon as I came here,” says the Huddersfield manager, who served Charlton with distinction both as a player and manager and is still admired by supporters in that part of south-east London.

“A lot has happened but I am pleased I have got an opportunity to go back. I am extremely proud of what I did there but, with the way it ended, I left pretty quickly. I made sure I went in to see everyone at The Valley before I went but there are so many good people there and it will be good to see them and the supporters again.”

Powell is thoroughly enjoying the latest chapter of his life with Huddersfield but there is no disguising he never wanted to leave Charlton, a club he played for 270 times across three spells and then guided from League One to the Championship as manager.

As he reflects on his long association with the Addicks, there is obvious regret about the way his tenure came to an acrimonious end when he was sacked by owner Roland Duchatelet just two months after the Belgian businessmen bought the club.

“To be honest, as soon as the takeover happened last January I knew it was more a case of when and not if I would be leaving,” he says. “I was trying to prepare a team to win games knowing that, no matter what we did, it would not change anything. I tried to protect our fans from that but people could slowly see what was happening.

“The club needed the takeover, so you embrace that. I actually said to them that I would go out to Belgium to meet them and tell them about the club. If it is not to their liking, then tell me and that is fine. But the uncertainty dragged on for two months and it was affecting me, my staff, the players and the supporters. There were rumours of what was going on but it never totally came out.”

After initial disagreements, the relationship between Powell and Duchatelet quickly deteriorated beyond repair as the owner sought control of football matters. Powell was told to play certain new signings — including goalkeeper Yohann Thuram-Ulien and defender Loic Nego — handpicked by Duchatelet from his network of six European clubs and with no experience of English football.

Yann Kermorgant, now helping Bournemouth’s push for the Premier League, was sold over Powell’s head and Charlton found themselves fighting relegation. “If you are told a club hero like Yann Kermorgant is not good enough, then you have got a problem,” he says. “I fought tooth and nail to keep him and Yann did not want to leave. Being told Ben Hamer and one or two others were not good enough, because the owner’s scouts in Belgium had seen them, that was tough to swallow.

“I wanted to do what I felt was right for Charlton Athletic, but when I did not play certain players I knew that was me leaving even more. Unfortunately, it was the right club at the wrong time, whereas before it was the right club and the right time.

“I knew the night before the Sheffield United game that it would not be long. You should not be thinking like that when you are preparing for one of Charlton’s biggest games for a long time. Of course I did not want to leave but sometimes you are better off out.”

Charlton went on to stay up under Jose Riga but the treatment of Powell and his manner of his departure angered supporters, who have grown unhappy with the way Charlton is being run and want to know more about Duchatelet’s long-term vision of their club.

“Sadly, now the fans are getting a taste of what I had for the first two months,” he says. “They do not deserve it because they are there through thick and thin. I understand it is a business model that can use other clubs’ resources but it is not the way we have always known it here and, when you do it, you have to do it tactfully.

“Roland feels he is able to do what he wants because he owns the club and you have to remember he is investing money. But what has happened is the fans are looking at it and thinking, ‘is it the same club anymore?’ and ‘are they listening to us?’.

“The fans are worried that they do not know what is happening with the club they love. They would like to know where they are heading. That is all they want. Give them their club back and let them feel part of it again.”

A near full-house is expected at The Valley tomorrow, with around 25,000 tickets sold thanks to Charlton’s Football for a Fiver initiative. Powell will be given a hero’s reception by home supporters after years of excellent service for the club.

“Of course it will be a little bit poignant,” he says. “But it is an important game because of where both clubs are in the table and I want to get three points.”

---

Seems to be well informed.....

Comments

• Roland Out, SCP In... yeah ok, I'll get me coat.
  • Pretty much as we all suspected, but nice to have it confirmed by CP himself. I'd say it's definite that he won't be returning as long as RD owns the club.
  • The Kermit bit really winds me up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Play Chris Powell Bingo

A) Bitter ex-employee

B ) Bottom of the table

C) Sheffield Utd

D) Boring football

E) Kiss his arse

F) Late Subs

G) Move On

There is nothing good about being bottom of the table ! B)
  • He has a lot to say for someone who a few weeks ago said he'd "moved on"
  • Yann Kermorgant, now helping Bournemouth’s push for the Premier League, was sold over Powell’s head and Charlton found themselves fighting relegation. “If you are told a club hero like Yann Kermorgant is not good enough, then you have got a problem,” he says. “I fought tooth and nail to keep him and Yann did not want to leave. Being told Ben Hamer and one or two others were not good enough, because the owner’s scouts in Belgium had seen them, that was tough to swallow.

Finally, we can put that to bed as I have been battling since the point. Some people on here religiously, for some reason, seem to believe YK was greedy and didn't want to resign a contract for us.

of course he didn't want to leave....but he also wanted more money....and didn't 'always' want to play!
  • http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/i-am-extremely-proud-of-what-i-did-there--former-charlton-boss-chris-powell-speaks-out-ahead-of-valley-return-with-huddersfield-10072871.html

Chris Powell has had Saturday, February 28 highlighted in his diary for a while. Tomorrow marks the date he will make an emotional return to The Valley for the first time since leaving Charlton last March.

“I would be a liar if I said I did not look for this game as soon as I came here,” says the Huddersfield manager, who served Charlton with distinction both as a player and manager and is still admired by supporters in that part of south-east London.

“A lot has happened but I am pleased I have got an opportunity to go back. I am extremely proud of what I did there but, with the way it ended, I left pretty quickly. I made sure I went in to see everyone at The Valley before I went but there are so many good people there and it will be good to see them and the supporters again.”

Powell is thoroughly enjoying the latest chapter of his life with Huddersfield but there is no disguising he never wanted to leave Charlton, a club he played for 270 times across three spells and then guided from League One to the Championship as manager.

As he reflects on his long association with the Addicks, there is obvious regret about the way his tenure came to an acrimonious end when he was sacked by owner Roland Duchatelet just two months after the Belgian businessmen bought the club.

To be honest, as soon as the takeover happened last January I knew it was more a case of when and not if I would be leaving,” he says. “I was trying to prepare a team to win games knowing that, no matter what we did, it would not change anything. I tried to protect our fans from that but people could slowly see what was happening.

“The club needed the takeover, so you embrace that. I actually said to them that I would go out to Belgium to meet them and tell them about the club. If it is not to their liking, then tell me and that is fine. But the uncertainty dragged on for two months and it was affecting me, my staff, the players and the supporters. There were rumours of what was going on but it never totally came out.”

After initial disagreements, the relationship between Powell and Duchatelet quickly deteriorated beyond repair as the owner sought control of football matters. Powell was told to play certain new signings — including goalkeeper Yohann Thuram-Ulien and defender Loic Nego — handpicked by Duchatelet from his network of six European clubs and with no experience of English football.

Yann Kermorgant, now helping Bournemouth’s push for the Premier League, was sold over Powell’s head and Charlton found themselves fighting relegation. “If you are told a club hero like Yann Kermorgant is not good enough, then you have got a problem,” he says. “I fought tooth and nail to keep him and Yann did not want to leave. Being told Ben Hamer and one or two others were not good enough, because the owner’s scouts in Belgium had seen them, that was tough to swallow.

“I wanted to do what I felt was right for Charlton Athletic, but when I did not play certain players I knew that was me leaving even more. Unfortunately, it was the right club at the wrong time, whereas before it was the right club and the right time.

“I knew the night before the Sheffield United game that it would not be long. You should not be thinking like that when you are preparing for one of Charlton’s biggest games for a long time. Of course I did not want to leave but sometimes you are better off out.”

Charlton went on to stay up under Jose Riga but the treatment of Powell and his manner of his departure angered supporters, who have grown unhappy with the way Charlton is being run and want to know more about Duchatelet’s long-term vision of their club.

“Sadly, now the fans are getting a taste of what I had for the first two months,” he says. “They do not deserve it because they are there through thick and thin. I understand it is a business model that can use other clubs’ resources but it is not the way we have always known it here and, when you do it, you have to do it tactfully.

“Roland feels he is able to do what he wants because he owns the club and you have to remember he is investing money. But what has happened is the fans are looking at it and thinking, ‘is it the same club anymore?’ and ‘are they listening to us?’.

“The fans are worried that they do not know what is happening with the club they love. They would like to know where they are heading. That is all they want. Give them their club back and let them feel part of it again.”

A near full-house is expected at The Valley tomorrow, with around 25,000 tickets sold thanks to Charlton’s Football for a Fiver initiative. Powell will be given a hero’s reception by home supporters after years of excellent service for the club.

“Of course it will be a little bit poignant,” he says. “But it is an important game because of where both clubs are in the table and I want to get three points.”

---

Seems to be well informed.....

so as soon as the takeover happened he was thinking about himself?

winkymcsmileface
  • Really the Belgium scouts did not think Yann and Hamer were good enough, where was Phil Chapple when this was being said
  • Sponsored links:

• Really the Belgium scouts did not think Yann and Hamer were good enough, where was Phil Chapple when this was being said

Being ignored.

• I accept what Chris says and believe what he says but why wait until now. He could have come out with this ages ago. I don't think it is going to help us tomorrow and it's badly timed for the Club. With a full house and hopefully decent season ticket prices announced we need a win and a performance to encourage people to think that with good prices on offer they will buy a season ticket. In my opinion all this undermines that drive and has a detrimental effect.

Arguing his point and also being ignored I imagine.