Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell in the Standard (return, Roland etc)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015

Hahahaha Another bitter ex employee joins the anti Roland brigade causing almost orgasmic effects amongst the radicalised minority of Charlton fans.

Stop trolling please.
    @pointless
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

I have also dealt with settlement agreements and had assumed that up until now that this had been why nothing had appeared in the public domain . Why did Ansah and Dyer comment rather than Powell up until now ?

I admire Chris Powell and wish him nothing but goodwill apart from when he comes up against Charlton .He was interviewed by the SLP pre season . Why did he not raise these concerns then?

As I said in the other thread he returns tomorrow not as a Charlton fan but as Huddersfield's manager . I do not have a problem with this . Lets move on and repeat what happened with Curbs when he came back as a happy Hammer . Applaud him pre match and hopefully cheer our team to a 4-0 victory.

The simple answer to that is that he didn't have a job and was aware that if you speak out about your former employer in the small world of football management then it's difficult to get one. In any case, it's not that he said nothing before it's just that he's felt able to disclose more because his circumstances have changed.
    So it is okay for a manager to criticise his former employer when he gets another job but not before ?

All I have noted is that Chris is media savvy and has played his hand well in Huddersfield's interest this weekend . I do not think any worse of him for this as tomorrow he is in the opposition camp.

No. He a former manager can criticise his former employer, whenever he wants (subject to disclosure agreements).

It's just that he would be a complete fool, to be outspoken about a former employer, unless he was in secure employment.

If you don't understand, think Alan Curbishley.

I do understand that ,but responded because Airman had described me as speaking 'complete and utter nonsense' on the other thread for suggesting that Chris might be disclosing more now partly to boost his sides chances this weekend. I repeat I have no problem with him doing this and understand why . He is now the Huddersfield manager

Now it becomes clear that the Trust did not have an exclusive but are part of a concerted disclosure . Clever media strategy in my view.

You are joking, aren't you?

• Options

After initial disagreements, the relationship between Powell and Duchatelet quickly deteriorated beyond repair as the owner sought control of football matters. Powell was told to play certain new signings — including goalkeeper Yohann Thuram-Ulien and defender Loic Nego — handpicked by Duchatelet from his network of six European clubs and with no experience of English football.

Still makes no sense to me. How many games did Thuram play for us? 4 (and those when all our other keepers were unavailable). How many games did Loic Nego play for us? 1!

If RD was, indeed, picking the team, why did the network players that keep being mentioned almost never play?

Not doubting SCP for one minute - and even Richard Murray has said that mistakes were made at first (undoubtedly true!) - but it just does not make sense to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

I have also dealt with settlement agreements and had assumed that up until now that this had been why nothing had appeared in the public domain . Why did Ansah and Dyer comment rather than Powell up until now ?

I admire Chris Powell and wish him nothing but goodwill apart from when he comes up against Charlton .He was interviewed by the SLP pre season . Why did he not raise these concerns then?

As I said in the other thread he returns tomorrow not as a Charlton fan but as Huddersfield's manager . I do not have a problem with this . Lets move on and repeat what happened with Curbs when he came back as a happy Hammer . Applaud him pre match and hopefully cheer our team to a 4-0 victory.

The simple answer to that is that he didn't have a job and was aware that if you speak out about your former employer in the small world of football management then it's difficult to get one. In any case, it's not that he said nothing before it's just that he's felt able to disclose more because his circumstances have changed.
    So it is okay for a manager to criticise his former employer when he gets another job but not before ?

All I have noted is that Chris is media savvy and has played his hand well in Huddersfield's interest this weekend . I do not think any worse of him for this as tomorrow he is in the opposition camp.

No. He a former manager can criticise his former employer, whenever he wants (subject to disclosure agreements).

It's just that he would be a complete fool, to be outspoken about a former employer, unless he was in secure employment.

I do understand that ,but responded because Airman had described me as speaking 'complete and utter nonsense' on the other thread for suggesting that Chris might be disclosing more now partly to boost his sides chances this weekend. I repeat I have no problem with him doing this and understand why . He is now the Huddersfield manager

Now it becomes clear that the Trust did not have an exclusive but are part of a concerted disclosure . Clever media strategy in my view.

Not really.

Please do not make something which blows this out of proportion . I just do not think the timing of the interviews helps us as a club.

Firstly I am not a Powell hater . I was one of those who called him SCP . He is one of my Charlton heroes both as a player and a manager . I do not doubt his integrity or disbelieve him either. Clearly he did not fit into Duchalet's way of doing things which I think is a shame . One of the things I find depressing is when people start to band the word liar about . I tend to find people became defensive when that happens and it stifles rather than stimulates debate .

I understand like any other 'industry' football is a village and why people might be careful when speaking about a former employer . Previously I had thought that Powell had signed some sort of settlement agreement because unlike Dyer he was not allowed to complete his contract .

I am merely pointing out the context of him returning tomorrow . He is the opposition's manager and as such this disclosure is newsworthy and potentially damaging to Charlton .

Personally I do not have a problem with him doing this and do not think any the worse of him for doing so .He has 'moved on' and so should we.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    StevieK said:

After initial disagreements, the relationship between Powell and Duchatelet quickly deteriorated beyond repair as the owner sought control of football matters. Powell was told to play certain new signings — including goalkeeper Yohann Thuram-Ulien and defender Loic Nego — handpicked by Duchatelet from his network of six European clubs and with no experience of English football.

Still makes no sense to me. How many games did Thuram play for us? 4 (and those when all our other keepers were unavailable). How many games did Loic Nego play for us? 1!

If RD was, indeed, picking the team, why did the network players that keep being mentioned almost never play?

Not doubting SCP for one minute - and even Richard Murray has said that mistakes were made at first (undoubtedly true!) - but it just does not make sense to me.
    Because Powell refused to play them. Hamer was injured and Alnwick who was 1st choice and playing ever so well, got "sold" out of the blue to Orient. So Thuram had to play !

I think Nego played once (maybe more) and was so crap, I assume Powell refused to play him again.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    StevieK said:

If you recall, Powell played Alnwick at Doncaster and Alnwick was then removed so he couldn't play him again. Powell made some compromises but eventually decided he wasn't going to make any more, which is why he was sacked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Not really.

Please do not make something which blows this out of proportion . I just do not think the timing of the interviews helps us as a club.

Firstly I am not a Powell hater . I was one of those who called him SCP . He is one of my Charlton heroes both as a player and a manager . I do not doubt his integrity or disbelieve him either. Clearly he did not fit into Duchalet's way of doing things which I think is a shame . One of the things I find depressing is when people start to band the word liar about . I tend to find people became defensive when that happens and it stifles rather than stimulates debate .

I understand like any other 'industry' football is a village and why people might be careful when speaking about a former employer . Previously I had thought that Powell had signed some sort of settlement agreement because unlike Dyer he was not allowed to complete his contract .

I am merely pointing out the context of him returning tomorrow . He is the opposition's manager and as such this disclosure is newsworthy and potentially damaging to Charlton .

Personally I do not have a problem with him doing this and do not think any the worse of him for doing so .He has 'moved on' and so should we.
    Well, I think it is you who is making the running here. I guess I'll just respond to one of your earlier critical posts by saying yes, we were probably a bit naive not to consider that the broader press might get to Chris on the occasion of his return, so the billing on here as an exclusive looks a bit heavy- handed, and we are red-faced, as a result. But equally I'd hope you'd work out that a "clever media strategy" does not involve claiming an "exclusive" if you know damn well that it is no such thing.

The most important thing to stress is that we had no bloody idea that Chris would come out with all this, when Weegie approached him for an interview. In fact, we didn't even expect him to agree. Personally when I read it, I was pretty shocked, as someone who had been quite open minded about the RD experiment. But given that shock, what right did I have to keep his words to myself and fellow Trust board members? What would you have done, in that situation?
  • Options

StevieK said:

If you recall, Powell played Alnwick at Doncaster and Alnwick was then removed so he couldn't play him again. Powell made some compromises but eventually decided he wasn't going to make any more, which is why he was sacked.
    So that was 1 of the grand combined total of 5 games that these two players participated in. Again, if it is true, as we are led to believe, that RD was picking the team (and was so inflexible, uncaring about the fans etc as we are led to believe), why did these two examples, that are so often repeated, almost never play?

And how many other network players were forced on the team when there were clearly better players in the wings?

Don't get me wrong, I do not doubt that RD did want his network players to play at first - we seemed certain to be relegated, so surely, he must have felt, something drastic had to be done (would the fans be much happier, he must have (wrongly) thought, if he simply let the team get relegated because the manager was too stubborn or proud to play network players) - but the actual evidence of who has been in the team suggests that he learnt his lesson quickly (not least that his 'advisers' had misjudged badly) and kept his nose out ever since.
  • Options

Hahahaha Another bitter ex employee joins the anti Roland brigade causing almost orgasmic effects amongst the radicalised minority of Charlton fans.

Breaking news............

About 100 EX Junior reds have gone missing and were last seen boarding a ferry to Ostend.

• Options
    Pico said:

Read the interview in Trust News to see what the interference did to Powell's morale and therefore made his position untenable. He wasn't too stubborn or proud - he just knew who was good enough and who wasn't. Don't forget, he also had four games in hand.
    Three managers (head coaches) since then and four at Standard Liege in 2 seasons. Why ? It is this erratic approach which brings the instability which is driving people away from the club now.

To be clear, I never did, nor ever would, accuse SCP of being either stubborn or proud. I am only saying that this could easily have been RD's (quite wrong) perception of why SCP would want to stick with players who seemed to be leading the club to relegation ahead of what he had been assured were superior network players.
    A mistake that - if you actually look at the evidence of who has played - he has not repeated.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

Not really.

Well, I think it is you who is making the running here. I guess I'll just respond to one of your earlier critical posts by saying yes, we were probably a bit naive not to consider that the broader press might get to Chris on the occasion of his return, so the billing on here as an exclusive looks a bit heavy- handed, and we are red-faced, as a result. But equally I'd hope you'd work out that a "clever media strategy" does not involve claiming an "exclusive" if you know damn well that it is no such thing.

The most important thing to stress is that we had no bloody idea that Chris would come out with all this, when Weegie approached him for an interview. In fact, we didn't even expect him to agree. Personally when I read it, I was pretty shocked, as someone who had been quite open minded about the RD experiment. But given that shock, what right did I have to keep his words to myself and fellow Trust board members? What would you have done, in that situation?

You have completely misunderstood what I was saying . The 'clever media strategy 'was a reference to Chris Powell and being able to dictate the pre match agenda and not the Trust . What I did find disappointing was that the Trust gave him a platform to do this .

Again I do not have a problem with Powell . His loyalty is to Huddersfield now.

I want to clap and cheer him tomorrow because he does deserve it , but like when Curbs returned we must remember he is not our manager now.
    Indeed I misunderstood you. Sorry for that.

You didn't answer my question though. Faced with the quite unexpected nature of his comments, what would you have done with them, in the interests of CAFC fans?
  • Options
    Richard J said:

You have completely misunderstood what I was saying . The 'clever media strategy 'was a reference to Chris Powell and being able to dictate the pre match agenda and not the Trust . What I did find disappointing was that the Trust gave him a platform to do this .

That's as I understood you Richard - and in fact composed a reply indicating what I thought you meant but deleted it on the basis that you were more than capable of explaining it yourself!

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Trust are totally innocent of any complicity - it's more about them being 'innocents' in that I suspect the media strategy was orchestrated by CP or his advisors. Didn't CP contact the Trust (Weegie) rather than the other way around? Hmm very clever, but Chris is that (as well as one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and know).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Richard J said:

That's as I understood you Richard - and in fact composed a reply indicating what I thought you meant but deleted it on the basis that you were more than capable of explaining it yourself!

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Trust are totally innocent of any complicity - it's more about them being 'innocents' in that I suspect the media strategy was orchestrated by CP or his advisors. Didn't CP contact the Trust (Weegie) rather than the other way around? Hmm very clever, but Chris is that (as well as one of the nicest guys you could ever meet and know).

No he didn't. Weegie contacted him. Simple as that.
  • Options
    Pico said:

bobmunro said:

Richard J said:

No he didn't. Weegie contacted him. Simple as that.
    Then I stand corrected - thought I'd read that but clearly mistaken.

• Options
    edited February 2015

@PragueAddick Tomorrow should be about football for a fiver and building our club . On Curbs' return I recall the media being about him signing Pardew and positive war stories about the old days . Given the way Powell left us I think it was obvious that interviewing him for the Huddersfield game would be as you say naïve . When the Trust Board read the interview was there a discussion about the context ? In some ways there is nothing particularly new in the disclosures I have read today .Only that this time they come from Chris Powell himself rather than Ansah or Dyer .

@Airman Brown In modern football don't all clubs have spin doctors / press media officers in a similar way that politicians do ? When you worked for Charlton would you have allowed the manager to talk to an opposition club's fanzine without your knowledge and input ?

I note that Weegie obtained her interview through the Huddersfield Coms team .Surely they would have talked to Powell about what the parameters of that interview would be . I also note that you say that VOTV was offered an interview with Chris .Given your criticism of the current regime why was this offer made if not to create mischief?

I will accept that Chris Powell has not acted dishonourably and I also admire him as a man of integrity but surely the Huddersfield Comms team would have had an input into this.