Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell in the Standard (return, Roland etc)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015
    @golfaddick You obviously haven't read the 2 pages, have you?
  • Options

read 2 pages of sentimental bulls**t and cant be bothered to read anymore.

Last year we were playing boring football & when he left us we were bottom of the league and if it wasn't for Riga we would probably have gone down.

has anyone thought that CP may have said that on purpose, so as to give his team an edge over us.

No.
  • Options

Stevie, are you being deliberately obtuse? The two players didn't play many games because the manager thought they were crap. Circumstances dictated that Thuram played more than he deserved on form. The manager stopped picking them. Hence the manager was sacked. Rega never picked them and his contract was not renewed. Seems clear to me.

I am not being deliberately anything - I am simply trying to create an explanation of events that actually makes sense and I keep reading people blithely stating as fact that 'RD wanted/wants to pick the team' when the reality is that we have almost never had any players in the team that anyone can point to have being anything but the best (sometimes of a very bad bunch) that were available.

So, the argument is that RD has continually tried to meddle in the teams picked, but so far with with almost no success whatsoever? Doesn't he have anything else to do with his time - "hey, I have sent a team-sheet of players that I want the manager to pick every week for the past year and a half, but so far none of them have followed my instructions - not to worry, if only I keep sending over the team-sheets and keep sacking the managers, one day I am sure they will listen to me"!

And if we assume that both SCP and Riga were sacked because they did not pick RD's favourites, where is the evidence this season of his favorites having been picked ahead of better players that the manager wanted to pick? Because I cannot see any. So, am I supposed to believe that for the past year and a half RD has continued to look for a 'yes man' who would pick his favourites ahead of better players that we have, so far without success? If so, he needs a better recruitment strategy!

Isn't it much more likely that he initially made mistakes - in trying to make a crisis situation better, he actually made it worse - but since then has learnt to keep out of team affairs? Does that not, more logically, fit the facts as they are on the pitch?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Richard J said:

@PragueAddick Tomorrow should be about football for a fiver and building our club . On Curbs' return I recall the media being about him signing Pardew and positive war stories about the old days . Given the way Powell left us I think it was obvious that interviewing him for the Huddersfield game would be as you say naïve . When the Trust Board read the interview was there a discussion about the context ? In some ways there is nothing particularly new in the disclosures I have read today .Only that this time they come from Chris Powell himself rather than Ansah or Dyer .

@Airman Brown In modern football don't all clubs have spin doctors / press media officers in a similar way that politicians do ? When you worked for Charlton would you have allowed the manager to talk to an opposition club's fanzine without your knowledge and input ?

I note that Weegie obtained her interview through the Huddersfield Coms team .Surely they would have talked to Powell about what the parameters of that interview would be . I also note that you say that VOTV was offered an interview with Chris .Given your criticism of the current regime why was this offer made if not to create mischief?

I will accept that Chris Powell has not acted dishonourably and I also admire him as a man of integrity but surely the Huddersfield Comms team would have had an input into this.

I'd have had absolutely no input, for certain. Curbs wouldn't even have told us!

I think you are imagining the media operation to be much more refined than it is, certainly at Championship level. It's highly unlikely the press officer at Huddersfield was doing anything more than scheduling.
  • Options

No one is saying RD picks the team. They are saying he inteferes with who the coach can select to play.

I am sorry, but I don't understand the difference between picking the team and interfering in who the coach could pick - aren't they the same thing?

Are you saying that (other than Thurram and Nego) there were occasions when he stopped the coach from picking the best player available in the squad in favour of one of his favourites? If so, which occasions do you have in mind?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    La la la la Chris Powell is a god, I wish he was still manager. la la la la la

The la la la's is the sauce blocking everything else out ...
  • Options
    Unfortunately it was the way the 'stars lined up'. A take over by a Belgian with limited knowledge of our game, CP showing that he wasn't really up to the job, YK being greedy.......it was a train wreck waiting to happen and it did. Since then fans have fallen in and out of love with Riga and Peeters and we wait for some stability. Powell's comments are poorly timed, merely feeding the minority (but noisy) of fans that would like him back.. Let's hope for another 3-0 victory
  • Options
    Not read this thread apart from CP's comments.

The man is a Charlton legend who wants the best for us. No reason to disbelief his comments imo

Hopefully RD has learnt from the past year that to compete you need players who know what the league is about.. not cast offs from other clubs.
  • Options

Unfortunately it was the way the 'stars lined up'. A take over by a Belgian with limited knowledge of our game, CP showing that he wasn't really up to the job, YK being greedy.......it was a train wreck waiting to happen and it did. Since then fans have fallen in and out of love with Riga and Peeters and we wait for some stability. Powell's comments are poorly timed, merely feeding the minority (but noisy) of fans that would like him back.. Let's hope for another 3-0 victory

How is it miss timed? Tomorrow Chris brings his Huddersfield side to the Valley. He is a former Charlton player and manager. When else would he do a press article about his time at the club????
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Oakster said:

Kap10 said:

Richard J said:

I have also dealt with settlement agreements and had assumed that up until now that this had been why nothing had appeared in the public domain . Why did Ansah and Dyer comment rather than Powell up until now ?

I admire Chris Powell and wish him nothing but goodwill apart from when he comes up against Charlton .He was interviewed by the SLP pre season . Why did he not raise these concerns then?

As I said in the other thread he returns tomorrow not as a Charlton fan but as Huddersfield's manager . I do not have a problem with this . Lets move on and repeat what happened with Curbs when he came back as a happy Hammer . Applaud him pre match and hopefully cheer our team to a 4-0 victory.

Phil Parkinson must have had a seriously long settlement agreement then, because he has hardly made any comment since he left.
    I think Parky got a very fair crack of the whip at Charlton though - he can't have had many complaints about his dismissal. He got us relegated (along with Pardew), he failed to get us back up & then in his 3rd season we were starting to slide again at the time of his departure (after that shocking televised home defeat by Swindon).
    And not forgetting the only time in 100 plus years that this great club has lost to a non league team - and one from below the Conference!
  • Options
    I don't want to drag this out further because it is clear we disagree but as Prague said I didn't answer the question when I thought I had here goes.

I do not think this was a good time to conduct the interview and publish it particularly from the Trust. Had Weegie written it for VOTV then I might have viewed it differently. Airman said he was asked to give VOTV an interview with Chris Powell . Who approached him ? Clearly someone was trying to get the story out there for this weekend . That is probably where @bobmunro was getting mixed up in terms of Weegie and her interview and who had requested it .

I would thought a multi million pound business with such a high profile like Huddersfield Town would have a professional media operation not just what sounds like a gloried tea boy and I do appreciate that RD / KM etc will also use the same techniques. It is a sad fact of life these days . Information is suppressed until it is in someone's interest to disclose it.

I also want to say I will read the interview and have been very impressed with Weegie's previous articles in both TNT and VOTV . I just don't feel it was the right publication or time.
  • Options
    Any remaining RD/KM apologists out there please answer me this:

Who do you believe to be telling the truth about Roland's interference in team selections, Katrien or the views provided by Powell/Dyer/Peeters and Rednic?

In my opinion Miere's comments at the recorded VIP meeting are grounds for a libel suit by Powell/Dyer/Peeters. I wish them every success.

I am sorry but like the interview process and the denial about Mrs Luzin's bona fide twitter acount she is just lying to us. Murray and Meire are just RD's stooges, simple as that.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I don't want to drag this out further because it is clear we disagree but as Prague said I didn't answer the question when I thought I had here goes.

I do not think this was a good time to conduct the interview and publish it particularly from the Trust. Had Weegie written it for VOTV then I might have viewed it differently. Airman said he was asked to give VOTV an interview with Chris Powell . Who approached him ? Clearly someone was trying to get the story out there for this weekend . That is probably where @bobmunro was getting mixed up in terms of Weegie and her interview and who had requested it .

I would thought a multi million pound business with such a high profile like Huddersfield Town would have a professional media operation not just what sounds like a gloried tea boy and I do appreciate that RD / KM etc will also use the same techniques. It is a sad fact of life these days . Information is suppressed until it is in someone's interest to disclose it.

I also want to say I will read the interview and have been very impressed with Weegie's previous articles in both TNT and VOTV . I just don't feel it was the right publication or time.

Someone who has previously contributed to the Voice and who is well known to Chris spoke to him during the week at their own instigation and offered me the interview for this weekend, not realising the last issue had come out a fortnight early. No agenda.
  • Options

Richard J said:

Someone who has previously contributed to the Voice and who is well known to Chris spoke to him during the week at their own instigation and offered me the interview for this weekend, not realising the last issue had come out a fortnight early. No agenda.
    Possibly could have printed it in the next edition? Only two weeks away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:

so when is the right time to publish interviews that are exposing what is happening at our club?
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Richard J said:

Possibly could have printed it in the next edition? Only two weeks away.
    I only had this conversation on Wednesday afternoon. I was hardly going to contact to contact the Trust, tell them I now had an interview, and ask them to pull theirs so I couid run a different one a fortnight later.
    Fair enough
  • Options
    Tnt isnt just a campaign tool of the Trust. Its partly that, partly charlton fan interest. This is also true of our website,and therefore entirely consistent.

When the latter might conflict with the interests of the former hard decisions have to be made. Not everyone will agree. On the one hand when being collaborative you get accused of being sub edited, on the other this situation.
  • Options
    razil said:

Tnt isnt just a campaign tool of the Trust. Its partly that, partly charlton fan interest. This is also true of our website,and therefore entirely consistent.

When the latter might conflict with the interests of the former hard decisions have to be made. Not everyone will agree. On the one hand when being collaborative you get accused of being sub edited, on the other this situation.

I've said enough on this for the moment and look forward to reading TNT later.

However, for the sake of clarity from a fans perspective, most of us see the Trust, TNT and the website as synonymous.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

razil said:

I've said enough on this for the moment and look forward to reading TNT later.

However, for the sake of clarity from a fans perspective, most of us see the Trust, TNT and the website as synonymous.
    I get that, and of course aforementioned conflict wdnt occur if there wasnt an element of that
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The way I see it is that Chrissy is a passionate man who has a passion for our club and its fans. He demonstarted a good knowledge of what has been going on in that interview and whilst nothing was new - Dyer told us what was what - It does illustrate an issue with our owner and vindicate the stance of many fans recently. People can point to some positives around the network, of which there have been a number, but it is the arrogance and errors that negate all confidence I have in Duchatelet. I liken him to Nero fiddling whilst Rome burns. He has the resources at his disposal to bring success to our club and moving players around his clubs has to play a part. But he has to understand the league and understand the relative qulaities of players. He is less qualified to make the decisions he does than most of us, but he makes them because he owns us.

Will give Chrissy a passionate clap today. He will remain a Charlton legend. Of course I want us to beat his team but he will always represent part of Charlton to me.

Great post Rodney btw, but I disagree Chrissy had a lot of funding to win league 1. There were better funded teams in that league and most of the transfers were done using the Jenkinson money. The season Powell was sacked could have been so different if he had received even moderate backing, but cash withdrew his cash and it was all buggered. Does prove that ultra rich people dont necessarily have good brains though as Cash pulled out when a return was within his grasp.