Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell in the Standard (return, Roland etc)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I accept what Chris says and believe what he says but why wait until now. He could have come out with this ages ago. I don't think it is going to help us tomorrow and it's badly timed for the Club. With a full house and hopefully decent season ticket prices announced we need a win and a performance to encourage people to think that with good prices on offer they will buy a season ticket. In my opinion all this undermines that drive and has a detrimental effect.

Quite possibly a 12 month gagging clause in his Settlement Agreement has just come to an end.
    Doubt it. And it's not 12 months anyway . . .
    Just speculation on my part.

Sorry - didn't realise you had seen his settlement agreement.
    Why do you assume there was any settlement agreement? The club was only contracted to pay Chris until June 30th. No reason for it to pay any more than his wages for the next four months or for him to sign any gagging clause.
    I agree it's an assumption - but an assumption based on my experience of exiting people over many years, including football management. I haven't had sight of CP's contract so would not know what the termination clauses were or indeed details of any variable pay linked to performance but it would have likely been a standard LMA contract with additional clauses agreed at the time the chuckle brothers were in charge. It would be standard practice to enhance any contractual arrangements in return for certain concessions. That may or may not have been the case with CP but as I said it was speculation on my part.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

He has a lot to say for someone who a few weeks ago said he'd "moved on"

To repeat bobmunro: "Quite possibly a 12 month gagging clause in his Settlement Agreement has just come to an end."

Powell is such an honest bloke true I don't see how you can be cynical about him.
  • Options
    I have also dealt with settlement agreements and had assumed that up until now that this had been why nothing had appeared in the public domain . Why did Ansah and Dyer comment rather than Powell up until now ?

I admire Chris Powell and wish him nothing but goodwill apart from when he comes up against Charlton .He was interviewed by the SLP pre season . Why did he not raise these concerns then?

As I said in the other thread he returns tomorrow not as a Charlton fan but as Huddersfield's manager . I do not have a problem with this . Lets move on and repeat what happened with Curbs when he came back as a happy Hammer . Applaud him pre match and hopefully cheer our team to a 4-0 victory.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Not much room for ambiguity in any of the quotes. Doesn't make me feel any better about the current regime. Hopefully the experiences of the last year have persuaded them to have a reality check. Some signs of that in recent signings but let's see.
  • Options
    He'll be back

PL54 said:

He has a lot to say for someone who a few weeks ago said he'd "moved on"

Jesus, what is this obsession with "moving on", it is so tedious. He has moved on - he's established and engaged at another club and doing a good job. Real life isn't the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. Just because you've moved on doesn't mean you forget everything that's happened in the past. He is coming back to the Valley tomorrow and will be thinking about that game and what happened (apart from anything else, because he's being asked about it as part of his new job!!).

We were once an established, proud premier league club, the champions of london and indisputable kings of south london. We are now probably on a par with Palace reserves. I've accepted that and I'm not shouting for Jordan Cousins to be called up for England or expecting us to be challenging for Europe. Doesn't mean I'm going to forget about the days when we were though.

There's a huge difference between "move on" and "forget".

move on.

:-)
  • Options
    He will defiantly be back and I for one cannot wait till he is! What a legend.
  • Options

Yann Kermorgant, now helping Bournemouth’s push for the Premier League, was sold over Powell’s head and Charlton found themselves fighting relegation. “If you are told a club hero like Yann Kermorgant is not good enough, then you have got a problem,” he says. “I fought tooth and nail to keep him and Yann did not want to leave. Being told Ben Hamer and one or two others were not good enough, because the owner’s scouts in Belgium had seen them, that was tough to swallow.

Finally, we can put that to bed as I have been battling since the point. Some people on here religiously, for some reason, seem to believe YK was greedy and didn't want to resign a contract for us.

Really interesting comments . Hope that the Standard's (Evening not Liege) lawyers cleared that one before publication . Cannot imagine that they would not have done .Pretty damning indictment on Roland and his set up I would say.Not too happy about the fact that if true Yann K and Ben H might have a point to prove at our expense next time we see them .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

What are you waffling on about?

All I got was something about his whippet had a free holiday and he was in that film "pride".
  • Options

Just looking to check in a Country that prides itself on democracy and freedom of speech if I can post anything that your Adminstrators don't agree with? (Before I post it). I thought forums were about opinions.....unless of course those opinions are not the same as your forum Administrators in which case they don't get posted. Wrong, just wrong.

Huh?
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I have also dealt with settlement agreements and had assumed that up until now that this had been why nothing had appeared in the public domain . Why did Ansah and Dyer comment rather than Powell up until now ?

I admire Chris Powell and wish him nothing but goodwill apart from when he comes up against Charlton .He was interviewed by the SLP pre season . Why did he not raise these concerns then?

As I said in the other thread he returns tomorrow not as a Charlton fan but as Huddersfield's manager . I do not have a problem with this . Lets move on and repeat what happened with Curbs when he came back as a happy Hammer . Applaud him pre match and hopefully cheer our team to a 4-0 victory.

The simple answer to that is that he didn't have a job and was aware that if you speak out about your former employer in the small world of football management then it's difficult to get one. In any case, it's not that he said nothing before it's just that he's felt able to disclose more because his circumstances have changed.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Phil Parkinson must have had a seriously long settlement agreement then, because he has hardly made any comment since he left.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ashley said:

Yann Kermorgant, now helping Bournemouth’s push for the Premier League, was sold over Powell’s head and Charlton found themselves fighting relegation. “If you are told a club hero like Yann Kermorgant is not good enough, then you have got a problem,” he says. “I fought tooth and nail to keep him and Yann did not want to leave. Being told Ben Hamer and one or two others were not good enough, because the owner’s scouts in Belgium had seen them, that was tough to swallow.

Finally, we can put that to bed as I have been battling since the point. Some people on here religiously, for some reason, seem to believe YK was greedy and didn't want to resign a contract for us.

Really interesting comments . Hope that the Standard's (Evening not Liege) lawyers cleared that one before publication . Cannot imagine that they would not have done .Pretty damning indictment on Roland and his set up I would say.Not too happy about the fact that if true Yann K and Ben H might have a point to prove at our expense next time we see them .
    I am not sure that it would be considered defamatory, regardless of the truth, but in any event it's unlikely the Belgians would want the testimony of the participants tested in court.
    Emails also have a habit of turning up . . .
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Richard J said:

Phil Parkinson must have had a seriously long settlement agreement then, because he has hardly made any comment since he left.
    I think Parky got a very fair crack of the whip at Charlton though - he can't have had many complaints about his dismissal. He got us relegated (along with Pardew), he failed to get us back up & then in his 3rd season we were starting to slide again at the time of his departure (after that shocking televised home defeat by Swindon).
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Kap10 said:

Richard J said:

I think Parky got a very fair crack of the whip at Charlton though - he can't have had many complaints about his dismissal. He got us relegated (along with Pardew), he failed to get us back up & then in his 3rd season we were starting to slide again at the time of his departure (after that shocking televised home defeat by Swindon).
    Sorry did not mean to raise the done to death "was he good was he bad debate".it was a comment related to talking at the end of settlement times.
  • Options

of course he didn't want to leave....but he also wanted more money....and didn't 'always' want to play!
    Source? Seems people believe what they want to believe and not the facts on this matter..

He wanted to stay at CAFC, as Powell says. Anyone this regime does not want involved in our club they will kick out, look at all the management stuff, behind scene's staff and players that have moved on in the short period of time they have reigned.
    I have some very good ones thanks

Plus I didn't dispute that he wanted to stay, I'm sure he did!, but it wasn't that cut and dry
    Even if you are one of those who believe he was asking for 15k, do you not now accept that probably he was worth it, given that according to my sources :-) we offered the same amount to Chris O'Grady?
    Of course, I never wanted him to leave at all and still wish he was here, but he's not

Him refusing to play has been done to death on here
  • Options

Richard J said:

The simple answer to that is that he didn't have a job and was aware that if you speak out about your former employer in the small world of football management then it's difficult to get one. In any case, it's not that he said nothing before it's just that he's felt able to disclose more because his circumstances have changed.
    So it is okay for a manager to criticise his former employer when he gets another job but not before ?

All I have noted is that Chris is media savvy and has played his hand well in Huddersfield's interest this weekend . I do not think any worse of him for this as tomorrow he is in the opposition camp.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Richard J said:

Richard J said:

So it is okay for a manager to criticise his former employer when he gets another job but not before ?

All I have noted is that Chris is media savvy and has played his hand well in Huddersfield's interest this weekend . I do not think any worse of him for this as tomorrow he is in the opposition camp.

No. A former manager can criticise his former employer, whenever he wants (subject to disclosure agreements).

It's just that he would be a complete fool, to be outspoken about a former employer, unless he was in secure employment.

If you don't understand, think Alan Curbishley.
  • Options

Richard J said:

Richard J said:

No. He a former manager can criticise his former employer, whenever he wants (subject to disclosure agreements).

It's just that he would be a complete fool, to be outspoken about a former employer, unless he was in secure employment.

If you don't understand, think Alan Curbishley.

I do understand that ,but responded because Airman had described me as speaking 'complete and utter nonsense' on the other thread for suggesting that Chris might be disclosing more now partly to boost his sides chances this weekend. I repeat I have no problem with him doing this and understand why . He is now the Huddersfield manager

Now it becomes clear that the Trust did not have an exclusive but are part of a concerted disclosure . Clever media strategy in my view.

• Options

But Katrien sat in front of a roomful of people the other week and said that what was being suggested by Dyer - and now presumably by Powell, and I suppose Peeters as well when he gave his interview to the SLP - was not true.

And she was very insulted at any suggestion that she lied.

Hmmm.

She didn't say it wasn't true. Her answer was "they have left the club".
    So I said are you calling them liars then ? She repeated "they have left the club".
  • Options

But Katrien sat in front of a roomful of people the other week and said that what was being suggested by Dyer - and now presumably by Powell, and I suppose Peeters as well when he gave his interview to the SLP - was not true.

Hmmm.

So I said are you calling them liars then ? She repeated "they have left the club".
    Why don't you answer the question Ms Meire?!
  • Options

Hmmm.

The fact that she keeps insisting she's not lying when the evidence stacks up against here is what's annoying, and also getting annoyed/upset at being accused of lying also..

She knows what she's doing and seems to be trying to convince herself by convincing us.

Charlton fans really just want truth and transparency, it's really not much to ask. We are getting neither.
    Once you tell a porkie it is extremely difficult to regain trust.
  • Options
    Hahahaha Another bitter ex employee joins the anti Roland brigade causing almost orgasmic effects amongst the radicalised minority of Charlton fans.