Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I love Tony Watt

Comments

• Options
    He"ll only get the chance to become a legend if he's allowed or wants to stick around. If his current form is watt to expect (see watt I did there ? ) week in week out then he's hot property. The Prem will come calling. If it's big money ploughed back into CAFC all well and good but........
    Too early for this sort of speculation yet though.
  • Options

Well at least we can be confident he won't be shipped off to Standard Liege !

speaking of which I wonder if our resident Standard fan @Defke cares to share his opinion, on how Well Watt is performing for us and what other Standard fans think about the fact he is playing well for us

and also Bulot has suddenly found some form
  • Options

Selling YK for less than buying Tucudean is like selling a gold bar to buy a yorkie bar..... but I wouldn't put it past Rolands scouting team, to put it nicely they have got nothing right from within the network, their judgement of talent is hideous ... but you try and try again until it works :-)

And that for me is the key issue.

A club can have any recruitment model it likes, big fees, no fees, loans, old players, young players, network players, etc etc but what will may the difference and "add value" (sic) and improve the team's performance is getting better players.

Polish Pete wasn't better than Yann. Doesn't matter what games Yann did or didn't play. Polish Pete was an expensive mistake. £600k wasted on someone who played a few minutes. Some can pretend that it is a trivial sum and we can write it off over a few years but what it meant was we couldn't spend £600k (and the wages) on someone else, someone better. And so the sale of Stephens and Yann brought us no benefit as the money was wasted. Meanwhile, back room admin staff were being made redundant so yes the money does matter to CAFC.

We appear to be too reliant on whoever scouts and buys players for Liege. They paid £1.2m for Watt and have bombed him out 6 months later. They paid money for Tuchedean and have bombed him out. Ditto Reza. Ditto Nego. I'm not confident that they are getting value for Roland's money although I still think Watt could be a success with CAFC.

And before people say "Igor and JBG" have been a success yes they have and neither came from the network. Igor had worked with Bob before.
    Watt is one of the whole lot I would say holds some substance, if you can get the boys career on track you have a good buy, it's clear to see the talent, and the Scottish SPL is not too dissimilar to the Championship in comparison to Romanian Liga I or Hungarian NB I.

If you run the club well on the pitch the off pitch matters will fall into place, you will get bums on seats.. You could quite easily get your son to bring a few friends if they are looking to a game with 15k + attendance, goals flying in and players with the talent similar to what they watch week in week out on their TV's. Easier said than done but that start's by hard work on the scouting side of things, I think from the off I could tell this whole network was a bit lapse on the scouting side.

Also we are devaluing our young talent by forcing them into our current side, messing them about in their positions . If you put a scout out to watch Joe Gomez the last few weeks I doubt they'd be half interested (judging him just on his play), rewind a few weeks and buy him on his paper value with England youth International experience and versatility, that figure would be a big sum larger.. basically the cheaper you are in terms of squad size and quality the more you're missing out on elsewhere, RD can't see this.
    When he signed.

I REALLY hope the network scouting is on this same calibre, looking forward, is it a sign of improvement? With the likes of Diarra, Coq (one off perhaps there though) on loan aswell it looks a lot brighter, some real strength. Watt is definitely looking a good 'buy', the league seems to suit him down to a tee, we just need to pray him and Igor stay fit, and stay with us. You can build a team around that sort of partnership, the way they dropped back which gave Gudmundsson and co the room to run was like they'd been playing together for years.

Finest performance in the Charlton red & white I've seen in a long while.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The Mark Viduka comparison is a good call. At least this time he'll be scoring three goals for the team in red!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Man, what a breath of fresh air.

I'm really can't think I have seen a Charlton striker similar to him before, the closest I can say is probably a better quality version of Martin Pringle, does anyone else get that?

Direct, makes things happen, scores goals, and so far doesn't seem selfish. Squared for Igor in the first half which sadly proved to me that Igor is not the next Defoe.

Loving seeing Watt play, and hope it's not a flash in the pan. Some seemed to slag him off when we signed him, but gawd knows what they saw to come to that conclusion.

You Watt, You Watt, You Watt You Watt You Watt !

Wasn't at the game today as I'm away in America with work, but I knew there was a player I was trying to put my finger on as to who he reminded me of - and Martin Pringle is it.

Has a quick turn of pace for someone so tall, and seems to have very good control of the ball in situations where you don't expect him to be able to. Even a little bit 'jammy' in some ways, but he just has an awkward style that many defenders will struggle to keep up with.
    He is not a Martin Pringle, I liked Martin Prngle, but this guy is on a different level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:

Better than yann?

Not yet, no way. Could prove to be yet though.
    So far, so good, if he can keep to the same levels of enthusiasm we have some player on our hands. As good as Yann, yes, as good as bent... maybe.
  • Options

Best striker since Darren Bent.
    Better than BWP
    Better than Yann
    Better than Igor.

What about reza?
  • Options
    Stig said:

I'd like to see him get a hat-trick for the headline TW3 (one for the oldies).

Ha, @Stig, what was the second line of the theme song sung by Millicent Martin...........

'It's over, let it go'

A phrase we seem to a hear a lot on CL especially during the last week :wink: .
  • Options
    Booooom
    This is a real player , I've found a replacement for my Yann love
    Someone who can do stuff I can't do !
    Love watching him cos you just don't know watt he's going to do next
    Proper player

If the original Igor can come back these two could cause even more damage to Championship defences
  • Options

Could tell after about 5 minutes of his debut just how good he is. Already my favourite player, a class act.

My feelings exactly
  • Options
    He could well get an international call up sooner than later. Not bad watching him perform like that just for a fiver!
  • Options
    Red7Oak said:

Best striker since Andy Hunt.

Andy Hunt remains to this day my favourite ever striker at Charlton.

Spoke to him a few times when he was in Belize running his adventure travel company.
    Real shame we lost him at just 30 years old to illness and that he couldn't make the cut when he did try and get back to the level a few years later.

Of course, just my opinion but he was exciting - great in the air (heading style like Edin Dzeko) and could run at defenders and use his strength.
    If anything, Watt seems to get the shot away even quicker than Andy Hunt did which, if he continues this way, can only bode well for the future.

See the comparison with Pringle who I also rated very highly but Pringle's goal ratio was what let him down - and injuries.

Killer, Super Clive and D.Bent, of course, also our superstar heroes - as well as many others.
  • Options

Better than yann?

When we had yann, as you know NLA we played the ball in the air too much.
    Tony watt can get the ball at his feet and go round 2 defenders at a time,
    Different player to Yann but more mobile all over the pitch.

Igor is playing so much better now tony has turned up, also Bulot and Johann love to attack and at long last we are trying to win games instead of trying not to lose.

I hope these guys are still at the valley next season.

The thing they do have in common is a relentless work rate- he was popping up in defence it seemed almost as much add he was in attack. Fabulous performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

He has played about 7 games, can we stop with the whole 'this guy could be a legend' nonsense?

You're just gutted you were in Silicon Valley instead of the Valley of Dreams yesterday!!

:wink:
  • Options
    For his first goal against Hudds, he picked up the ball with 4 defenders and the keeper to beat.
    In that situation and at our level, many strikers don't even get a shot away, let alone a goal.

Quality stuff.
  • Options
    Don't want to take anything away from Tony cos he's been brilliant, but I think he's been helped massively by the fans getting behind him from the first minute. He looks settled.
    What a difference having a good song makes ! :)
  • Options
    He reminds me of Lisbie, but more clinical. The ability to glide past people with a mixture of skill and pace
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    wmcf123 said:

He reminds me of Lisbie, but more clinical. The ability to glide past people with a mixture of skill and pace

U watt m8?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Beat me to it. Lisbie at his best frightened defences. Watt appears to be better at finishing than Young Kevin was with us though.
  • Options
    His second was different class. Hope we can keep hold of him.
  • Options
    I hope he bulldozes Millwall on April 3rd.