Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England player arrested

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Forget the law, its Morally wrong for a bloke who is 27 to want to shag a 16 year old, just because the law says that 16 is the age of consent, does not make it right.

Whether it's morally right for a 27 year old man to want sex with a 16 year old girl (or for that matter a 16 year old boy to want sex with a 27 year old woman) is another argument - and I did not attempt to make any moral judgement.

But you can't forget the law.
    Im not saying forget the law, as in the law does not matter, I mean irrespective of what the law says........
    This place is hard work sometimes....
  • Options
    Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

There is nothing perverted about a 27 year old man wanting to have sex with a 16 year old girl for goodness sake. The sweeping statements made by some on these kind of threads are simply ridiculous.

18,19, 20 would be fine to an extent no matter the age of the man because that makes her an adult and vice verser. 15,16, 17 no in my opinion with my parent hat on because that makes her a child. 16 might be legal for sex and if 16 and 17 year olds want to have sex with each other it is perfectly legal but I still see it as older kids having sex, don't consider them adults until they're 18, I think it's mad that in the eyes of the law you're not considered mentally mature enough to put an X on a piece of ballot paper until you're 18 but you are legally allowed to give your body away and deemed responsible enough to make a decision for something as potentially dangerous as sexual intercourse at only 16. Double standards really. As I said though only my opinion.
    It is your use of the word "perverted" that I have an issue with. As mentioned before the whole situation in many other countries, including some European ones, would not be an issue.
    Other countries do indeed have varying ages of consent - Germany, Austria, Italy and Portugal are 14 - France 15. Spain has only recently raised it from 13 to 16 and in Japan it is still 13!. In the UK it was 12 before 1875 - and even lower than that in the middle ages (7!!).

But - in the UK now it is 16 and that is where the alleged offence took place - so I'm not sure I get your argument.
    Forget the law, its Morally wrong for a bloke who is 27 to want to shag a 16 year old, just because the law says that 16 is the age of consent, does not make it right.
    does the same apply for Harry Styles (17) and Caroline Flack (32)?
  • Options

I see where you're coming from Sadie, but what if she looked 21 and he's picking her up in a club with a 21 restriction on the door?

As for her not having the personality of a adult, there's plenty of girls who are mentally mature for their age, just as there's plenty of mature women who act like silly teenagers (only got to look on facebook to see that). Besides, I don't think most blokes are too worried about making a girl sit a mensa test (and Johnson has never come across as much of a thinker).

I'm not trying to defend him, but equally, I won't judge him until the facts are all laid out.........

A 15 year old would rarely pass as 21 if ever that's why a lot of clubs have an over 21 policy. The difference in both maturity and appearance of an 18 year old and a 21 year old is quite a lot.
    Mandy Smith looked older than 21 in my opinion.
  • Options

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

There is nothing perverted about a 27 year old man wanting to have sex with a 16 year old girl for goodness sake. The sweeping statements made by some on these kind of threads are simply ridiculous.

18,19, 20 would be fine to an extent no matter the age of the man because that makes her an adult and vice verser. 15,16, 17 no in my opinion with my parent hat on because that makes her a child. 16 might be legal for sex and if 16 and 17 year olds want to have sex with each other it is perfectly legal but I still see it as older kids having sex, don't consider them adults until they're 18, I think it's mad that in the eyes of the law you're not considered mentally mature enough to put an X on a piece of ballot paper until you're 18 but you are legally allowed to give your body away and deemed responsible enough to make a decision for something as potentially dangerous as sexual intercourse at only 16. Double standards really. As I said though only my opinion.
    It is your use of the word "perverted" that I have an issue with. As mentioned before the whole situation in many other countries, including some European ones, would not be an issue.
    Other countries do indeed have varying ages of consent - Germany, Austria, Italy and Portugal are 14 - France 15. Spain has only recently raised it from 13 to 16 and in Japan it is still 13!. In the UK it was 12 before 1875 - and even lower than that in the middle ages (7!!).

But - in the UK now it is 16 and that is where the alleged offence took place - so I'm not sure I get your argument.
    Why are you asking me, what does your moral compass say?
  • Options

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Yes
  • Options
    Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

Whether it's morally right for a 27 year old man to want sex with a 16 year old girl (or for that matter a 16 year old boy to want sex with a 27 year old woman) is another argument - and I did not attempt to make any moral judgement.

But you can't forget the law.
    Im not saying forget the law, as in the law does not matter, I mean irrespective of what the law says........
    This place is hard work sometimes....
    I know what you meant, Greenie - and apologies for me being a pedant ;-)

I'm also not disagreeing with you point either.

• Options

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

what a lad (Harry Styles I mean)
  • Options
    greenie it's wrong on all levels both ways mate your 100% right
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I was just asking your opinion as you were the one who said it's morally wrong for a BLOKE of 27 to want to shag a 16 year old.

I wasn't having a pop at you just asking your opinion as some people do view it differently depending on the sex of the older person.
  • Options
    As long as there is no breach of trust and nobody is being taken advantage of, there is nothing morally wrong with a 27 year old female or male engaging in sexual activity with a 16 year old imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I was just asking your opinion as you were the one who said it's morally wrong for a BLOKE of 27 to want to shag a 16 year old.

I wasn't having a pop at you just asking your opinion as some people do view it differently depending on the sex of the older person.
    Hey mate, no problem, I see your point. For me Styles and Flack is morally wrong, as is Madonna (56) shagging a 22 year old fella.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Hey mate, no problem, I see your point. For me Styles and Flack is morally wrong, as is Madonna (56) shagging a 22 year old fella.
    I agree that harry styles and flack is wrong but not madonna. My reasoning is as I stated above, a person under the age of 18 is classed a child in my eyes and although a 17 year old can legally have sex I don't think they are old enough to enter into an adult relationship of any sort.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I agree that harry styles and flack is wrong but not madonna. My reasoning is as I stated above, a person under the age of 18 is classed a child in my eyes and although a 17 year old can legally have sex I don't think they are old enough to enter into an adult relationship of any sort.
    I have known 16-17 year olds who are emotionally mature and able to make hard decisions using their own judgement (not necessarily sex/relationship related but I would not have questioned them if that was the case as they had proven themselves to be mature in other respects). Likewise I know plenty of people in their 20s or 30s seemingly unable to cope with the basic requirements of being an adult and I do question some of their relationship decisions.

This isn't a judgement about the girl or the case in question, but just a general point that age isn't necessarily black or white in terms of maturity and ability to make rational and informed decisions on one's own behalf. If I had children I would probably agree that my judgement superceded their's until they were 18 but I think that comes from an emotional perspective about wanting to protect your own kin.
  • Options

I think the whole "not knowing her age" rubbish is stupid, he is a 27 year old grown man not a naive 19 year old, even if this child seemed mature enough in appearance to be over 16 or even 18 it is highly unlikely that her personality would have been that of a grown woman, if it were I doubt was substantial enough for him to be 100% convinced. Also how old are we saying he thought she may have been 16? Ok that is the age of consent but there is still something a little perverted about a man of 27 wanting to have sex with a 16 year old kid. The final thing is it is irresponsible on his part, being in a high profile job, to have sex with anyone without knowing some sort of background especially if they seem quite Young.

100% spot on (assuming it turns out that sex occurred between them)

Carelessness should not be a defence.

Frankly he needs his head tested assuming it's true.

• Options

I think the whole "not knowing her age" rubbish is stupid, he is a 27 year old grown man not a naive 19 year old, even if this child seemed mature enough in appearance to be over 16 or even 18 it is highly unlikely that her personality would have been that of a grown woman, if it were I doubt was substantial enough for him to be 100% convinced. Also how old are we saying he thought she may have been 16? Ok that is the age of consent but there is still something a little perverted about a man of 27 wanting to have sex with a 16 year old kid. The final thing is it is irresponsible on his part, being in a high profile job, to have sex with anyone without knowing some sort of background especially if they seem quite Young.

100% spot on (assuming it turns out that sex occurred between them)

Carelessness should not be a defence.

Frankly he needs his head tested assuming it's true.

If he's picking up partners in clubs in the North East it's not just his head that needs testing!
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I totally take your point Sadie, from my point of view I think that the Madonna one is more sick inducing, but as you point out the fella is over 18/21.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I have known 16-17 year olds who are emotionally mature and able to make hard decisions using their own judgement (not necessarily sex/relationship related but I would not have questioned them if that was the case as they had proven themselves to be mature in other respects). Likewise I know plenty of people in their 20s or 30s seemingly unable to cope with the basic requirements of being an adult and I do question some of their relationship decisions.

This isn't a judgement about the girl or the case in question, but just a general point that age isn't necessarily black or white in terms of maturity and ability to make rational and informed decisions on one's own behalf. If I had children I would probably agree that my judgement superceded their's until they were 18 but I think that comes from an emotional perspective about wanting to protect your own kin.

The problem is that whatever line you draw, there are always some who fall the wrong side of it.

The absolutes of sexual and emotional maturity don't fit into definite age boundaries but in many respects that's less important than responsibility within the law.

The last thing I want to sound is pious but ambivalence to age where sex is concerned - the "she was up for it" approach is why so many in the cult of celebrity that is Professional Football seemed to be caught out. In the 1960s and 1970s it was pop stars and those who earning their living in that genre.

Football needs to do more to highlight to players, the dangers that lurk if they frequent nightclubs etc.

Of course there may be a case here where he did everything that a reasonable person might consider to establish her age. That's why we should be very circumspect when jumping to conclusions.

I don't know what might be permissable as a defence but it would seem likely that were he shown a false ID that could constitute one?

What I am saying is that from where I sit, he should have been more sensible.
  • Options
    Just had a kid to. Sad.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I've no comment whatsoever on the specifics of this case at this stage.

All I would say, as the father of three daughters, is that my wife and I made damned sure we knew where they were and who they were with when they were fifteen and out socially.

Some people criticised my wife (never me strangely) as over protective but parents ARE responsible for their children in my opinion and at fifteen a child is still a child.

When my son got to 15, he did as he pleased, up to a point.

If I told him to be home by midnight, he rarely was.

@covered end junior you naughty lil wotsit... :wink: if this is the other son your dad speaks of then i'm sorry...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

Entirely get where you are coming from SJ, but as you also say that's not the law
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

the picture of the girl in question makes her look definitely nearer 21 than 15

and parents have to take partial responsibilty here , for their children, if they are happy for them to be out and about and not know their whereabouts or believe what their conniving little kids are up to then so be it

Seems a little harsh to be putting some of the blame on her parents without knowing anything about her or how she was brought up.
    He did say " if they are happy for them to be out and about and not know their whereabouts..." Etc, Col. " IF" is the relevant word IMHO.
    Pretty big if tbf.
    Not really Col, he's posting a quite feasible scenario, not stating a fact? I recall plenty of girls 35 years ago when I was at school thinking they were too mature for us little 15 year old boys, and setting their sights on older lads...
  • Options

Riviera said:

Entirely get where you are coming from SJ, but as you also say that's not the law
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

the picture of the girl in question makes her look definitely nearer 21 than 15

and parents have to take partial responsibilty here , for their children, if they are happy for them to be out and about and not know their whereabouts or believe what their conniving little kids are up to then so be it

Seems a little harsh to be putting some of the blame on her parents without knowing anything about her or how she was brought up.
    He did say " if they are happy for them to be out and about and not know their whereabouts..." Etc, Col. " IF" is the relevant word IMHO.
    Pretty big if tbf.
    Not really Col, he's posting a quite feasible scenario, not stating a fact? I recall plenty of girls 35 years ago when I was at school thinking they were too mature for us little 15 year old boys, and setting their sights on older lads...
    Again though I'm not sure you can potentially blame parents in that scenario without knowing the whole story. Think my comment has been taken a bit far tbh, I understand what oohaahh is trying to say I just felt it was slightly unnecessary to mention the girl's parents without knowing anything about them. Of course he could be right but then again he could quite as easily be wrong.
  • Options
    That's big of you
  • Options
    thanks
  • Options
    It's not about parents being responsible for the behaviour of their children - that can be outwith their control. It's about parents taking responsibility to care for and protect their children.
  • Options
    Agree Bob but that isn't what oohahh said in the initial comment hence why I questioned it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    colthe3rd said:

Agree Bob but that isn't what oohahh said in the initial comment hence why I questioned it.

Understood. My comment was a general observation, not a direct reference to any previous post.
  • Options

Well as a parent , i will hold myself partially responsible for how my children behave and grow up

This, the way my children behave in public, the way they speak to other adults, the way they take pride in their appearance, what they achieve at school or work, is all a reflection of how me and my partner have bought them up.
    My daughter 16 and son 19 have to report in wherever they are, whatever time of day, its not hard. My daughter has literally had a party at least every other week since poxy September, I work nights all week and Saturday is my night off but still drag my arse out at 23.45 to pick her up at midnight so I know shes safe. even my 19 yo boy has to report in when hes left club,got in the cab, and got to wherever he is staying.

Its also a respect thing on their part to us.........

• Options
    bobmunro said:

It's about parents taking responsibility to care for and protect their children.