Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Game of Thrones

Comments

• WSS said:

I found the "too old" thing more disturbing that the girl being set on fire.

Yeah that was rank, thought he was going to ask for Aya for a moment.
  • se9addick said:

Did we actually see the daughter die ? I always think if we literally haven't seen the corpse in GoT then there's a chance they've survived.

I think this is one of the only exceptions to "if they died off-screen, they didn't die off-screen."
    razil said:

Yup but the kid got infected by a toy

A toy touched directly by greyscale though, right? Guess we'd better hope he hadn't been scratching his arm just before. Especially as Danny then held Missandei's hand!
  • So in the earlier series there were loads of foetuses in jars at Stannis's gaff. Everyone thought it was because his wife struggled to produce an heir. But maybe it's Stannis who was impotent and Shireen was actually the product of an affair on the part of Stannis's wife. Would that mean Shireen doesn't have royal blood and that she was sacrificed for no reason? Would be very Game of Thrones.
  • Hmm an interesting theory. I did think myself I wonder if it turns out she isn't of royal blood and it's all pointless. However, why would her mother be willing to go along with it if that was the case, it was only at the very end she wanted to stop it.
  • I honestly thought the mum was going to reveal that to stop the whole thing last night.

I never learn with GoT!
  • Rizzo said:

Anyone else pissed off with Ser Jorah? He's supposed to be this double hard bastard but

Is he? Supposed to be a decent knight but no Hound or pre-amputation Jaime, for example.

In fact, just out of Daenarys's sort of Queensguard I'd say Daario, Grey Worm and (before he died) Ser Barriston would all have comfortably kicked his arse.
    I'd kick his arse as well.
  • Has there been any explanation of why Stannis's wife is a total mental case?
  • Rizzo said:

Anyone else pissed off with Ser Jorah? He's supposed to be this double hard bastard but

Is he? Supposed to be a decent knight but no Hound or pre-amputation Jaime, for example.

In fact, just out of Daenarys's sort of Queensguard I'd say Daario, Grey Worm and (before he died) Ser Barriston would all have comfortably kicked his arse.
    So what is the order of badassdom in the sword-fighting stakes now? Is Brienne the hardest? She'd smash Grey Worm. I guess Daario and Bronn would have enough dirty tricks to compete. Anyone else? I don't know much about the paedo kings guard guy (it says something for the episode when nobody discusses or even mentions that plotline).
  • Sponsored links:

• to make her more interesting...

Stannis clearly isn't the future, perhaps this is his undoing.

You didn't see her die of course, but then you wouldn't in this case I guess. Mind you, they showed the decayed remains of the two farm boys quite graphically.
  • The brothel thing i assume is a mechanism to allow whatserface to get him
  • se9addick said:

WSS said:

I found the "too old" thing more disturbing that the girl being set on fire.

Yeah that was rank, thought he was going to ask for Aya for a moment.
    I can see this happening (and her taking the opportunity to somehow poison him/slit his throat) in the next episode.
  • colthe3rd said:

The Stannis thing has pissed me right off. He,was becoming an interesting character, grumpy, bit odd but sort of likeable.

Now he's an evil c-unit.

Is he? I mean sure anyone burning their own child is clearly not all there but given what he's seen Mel do in the past he has to trust her.

They were basically all going to die anyway, no food, fewer men, equipment lost. Doing this means they might stand a chance.
    You are joking, right?
    Col's not wrong. That's just the reality of the situation. And the wider reality is that Stannis has been told by Melisandre that he is the only one who can stop the White Walkers taking over and killing everyone in the entire world. Stannis genuinely thinks he's the only person who can save the world so sacrificing his daughter is a necessary evil for him.

Still a bit bastardy though.
    She's told him he's Azor Ahai or whatever and is destined to win it, so if he's destined to rule then it won't matter if he doesn't kill his daughter....
  • edited June 2015

The Unsullied really need to look at their urban weaponry and tactics. Carrying 12 foot pikes in narrow alleyways and crowded arenas isn't proving a very effective deterrent to the Harpies.

the unsullied are all a bit shit really, barring grey worm who is marginally above average.

shame as they get massacred every battle! how many does Danaerys have left?
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Rizzo said:

So what is the order of badassdom in the sword-fighting stakes now? Is Brienne the hardest? She'd smash Grey Worm. I guess Daario and Bronn would have enough dirty tricks to compete. Anyone else? I don't know much about the paedo kings guard guy (it says something for the episode when nobody discusses or even mentions that plotline).
    Meryn fucking Trant? He's not going to be kicking Daario, Brienne or Bronn's ass anytime soon.
  • colthe3rd said:

The Stannis thing has pissed me right off. He,was becoming an interesting character, grumpy, bit odd but sort of likeable.

Now he's an evil c-unit.

Is he? I mean sure anyone burning their own child is clearly not all there but given what he's seen Mel do in the past he has to trust her.

They were basically all going to die anyway, no food, fewer men, equipment lost. Doing this means they might stand a chance.
    You are joking, right?
    Col's not wrong. That's just the reality of the situation. And the wider reality is that Stannis has been told by Melisandre that he is the only one who can stop the White Walkers taking over and killing everyone in the entire world. Stannis genuinely thinks he's the only person who can save the world so sacrificing his daughter is a necessary evil for him.

She's told him he's Azor Ahai or whatever and is destined to win it, so if he's destined to rule then it won't matter if he doesn't kill his daughter....
    Unless he had to kill his daughter all along as part of the plan.

Personally I don't really think so. Think there is going to be a twist with her very soon, just don't buy she's in it for Stannis.
  • Dazzler21 said:

The Unsullied really need to look at their urban weaponry and tactics. Carrying 12 foot pikes in narrow alleyways and crowded arenas isn't proving a very effective deterrent to the Harpies.

the unsullied are all a bit shit really, barring grey worm who is marginally above average.

They really need to grow some..
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Now he's an evil c-unit.

You are joking, right?

Unless he had to kill his daughter all along as part of the plan.

Personally I don't really think so. Think there is going to be a twist with her very soon, just don't buy she's in it for Stannis.
    It's not about Stannis... It's about who will follow her that has power.

Jon Snow had leadership and little power but she couldn't convince him. Stannis has power but how long will his people follow him after he burns his own daughter?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stannis in the books is a grim unlikeable chap, who grinds his teeth continuously and would do anything for power, the tv show has simply taken that on to the next level.
  • Dazzler21 said:

They are formation fighters, like the Greeks & Spartans. Organised, strong in numbers, but they are not guards. Remember what Oberyn said in Season 4:

• I miss Oberyn!
  • cfgs said:

Stannis in the books is a grim unlikeable chap, who grinds his teeth continuously and would do anything for power, the tv show has simply taken that on to the next level.

Grim and unlikeable yes. Do anything for power no.

Book spoilers for anyone who wants to skip them

Stannis sends his man off to get him 20k sell swords and tells him that even if he is dead to still bring back the mercs as they will put his daughter on the iron throne. This is nothing like the TV series stannis who burnt her alive.

He believes in duty and justice, he wouldn't just burn his own daughter. If the "spoiler" by the TV show writers is right and GRRM does the same in the book it will be completely out of character and confirm that GRRM has lost the plot with all the publicity. He would also have to send Stannis all the way back to Castle Black to pull it off...

Even with Renly he gave him the chance to bend the knee rather than just kill him straight off the bat.

The show is desperately grasping at straws trying to one up the shock factor every week, even more so without a book to keep them on the straight and narrow. With that awful dragon flight CGI (seriously are we going back to the never ending story for graphics?) my interest is reaching the all time low again where I stopped watching for around two seasons.

The TV show is unravelling too fast and GRRM is taking too long to finish the books, the spark that made this world great is fading and both parts are doing their best to kill it in different ways.
  • I would agree that 10 episodes for a season is not enough. 12 or 15 may fill it out more, but the direction changes quicker than the tide.
  • Jdredsox said:

cfgs said:

Stannis in the books is a grim unlikeable chap, who grinds his teeth continuously and would do anything for power, the tv show has simply taken that on to the next level.

Grim and unlikeable yes. Do anything for power no.

Book spoilers for anyone who wants to skip them

Stannis sends his man off to get him 20k sell swords and tells him that even if he is dead to still bring back the mercs as they will put his daughter on the iron throne. This is nothing like the TV series stannis who burnt her alive.

He believes in duty and justice, he wouldn't just burn his own daughter. If the "spoiler" by the TV show writers is right and GRRM does the same in the book it will be completely out of character and confirm that GRRM has lost the plot with all the publicity. He would also have to send Stannis all the way back to Castle Black to pull it off...

Even with Renly he gave him the chance to bend the knee rather than just kill him straight off the bat.

The show is desperately grasping at straws trying to one up the shock factor every week, even more so without a book to keep them on the straight and narrow. With that awful dragon flight CGI (seriously are we going back to the never ending story for graphics?) my interest is reaching the all time low again where I stopped watching for around two seasons.

The TV show is unravelling too fast and GRRM is taking too long to finish the books, the spark that made this world great is fading and both parts are doing their best to kill it in different ways.
    Whilst I agree he was dour more than unpleasant you still wouldn't want to go for a pint with him. Also the books end with his army buried in the snow and I think Mr Martin had run out of ideas hence the way the last book simply waffled on but nothing really happened. Having said that the idea that Stannis would sacrifice his own daughter out of desperation was supposedly a very strong possibility for old George.
  • Agree with everything you've said there @cfgs although he would need to dig himself out of the snow to get to Shireen in the books. I'm not saying she won't die but I feel Stannis being the killer is a long shot, in the books, as it just wouldn't make sense at this point.
  • Jdredsox said:

Agree with everything you've said there @cfgs although he would need to dig himself out of the snow to get to Shireen in the books. I'm not saying she won't die but I feel Stannis being the killer is a long shot, in the books, as it just wouldn't make sense at this point.

I understand all that, but supposedly that is what he had in mind, how? We will never know. The TV show has faults but personally I love it and it is the only way we will get to the end of the saga.
  • We may need a separate A Song of Ice and Fire books thread and a Game of Thrones TV show thread. As I've already read everything on here I didn't take note of what @cfgs was quoting so didn't see the book spoiler tag in the quote but reading his comment (6.45am) I feel was a pretty big spoiler.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I would agree that 10 episodes for a season is not enough. 12 or 15 may fill it out more, but the direction changes quicker than the tide.

wasn't long ago people were saying it was dragging and was too filled out. Come on people...