Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Game of Thrones

Comments

• Options
    I usually watch each episode twice. I didn’t for most of this week, and I think that’s cos I hate the idea of the dragons, having taken 8 season to get to this point, dying off so easily. I don’t like seeing it. 

I just watched it again, and I’m convinced Danearys has something up her sleeve. Tyrion is convinced the city will burn in spite of the solid defence. I think there’s going to be some sort of surprise. I won’t say what cos I’m sure I have to be right. 

Cos otherwise Varys’s concerns are moot. If she can’t smash up Kings Landing then that whole plot is a dead end. And I don’t think it will be. I think they’ve been setting up the potential for Danaerys to go mad since day one and she needs the capability to. 

They needed to make it harder for her to take Cersei down, they’ve done that. The conflict with Varys has been bubbling since last season too. It’s nicely balanced now. 

Im really excited to see how they do this. I think the overarching arcs make sense as written.

• Options
    Missed It said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    I usually watch each episode twice. I didn’t for most of this week, and I think that’s cos I hate the idea of the dragons, having taken 8 season to get to this point, dying off so easily. I don’t like seeing it. 

I just watched it again, and I’m convinced Danearys has something up her sleeve. Tyrion is convinced the city will burn in spite of the solid defence. I think there’s going to be some sort of surprise. I won’t say what cos I’m sure I have to be right. 

Cos otherwise Varys’s concerns are moot. If she can’t smash up Kings Landing then that whole plot is a dead end. And I don’t think it will be. I think they’ve been setting up the potential for Danaerys to go mad since day one and she needs the capability to. 

They needed to make it harder for her to take Cersei down, they’ve done that. The conflict with Varys has been bubbling since last season too. It’s nicely balanced now. 

Im really excited to see how they do this. I think the overarching arcs make sense as written.

You're certainly right about the dragons, they've reduced them to vulnerable plot devices.  The death of Rhaegal is one of the dumbest things GoT has ever done.  It's so disappointing that a show that used be all about character driving the plot is now forcing characters in to stupid actions to meet required plot points and they can get to the end in a hurry.

The existential apocalyptic threat has been taken care of by Arya and her trampoline so now we're left with Cersei as the final boss to defeat and in reality she's just an alcoholic, ex-wife with anger issues.  No threat at all compared to the Night King and no real threat to the combined armies of the 7 kingdoms, the Dothraki (somehow half of them survived!) and Unsullied.  So for plot reasons they have to level the playing field, a tacit omission that the final villain is too weak to generate any drama or doubt about the outcome.

Dany's character has been butchered to accommodate all this plot necessity.  She has had to face the undead Viserion.  She's the mother of dragons and that is her child, murdered by the Night King and now turned against her.  She has to fight her own dead child.  Imagine having to kill your own zombies kids with a hammer.  Who could even do it?  Who could go through that without being a total emotional wreck?  But it barely seems to make any sort of mark on her.  You have to chop off her PA's head if you even want to make her look a bit cross. 

I was reminded of the Walking Dead where Carol's daughter Sophia gets lost and they spend a whole series searching for her.  The scene where Carol finally confronts her own dead zombie daughter is one of the most horrendous, gut wrenching things I've ever seen in a TV drama.  We don't get anything like that with Dany, just a big CGI punch up in the dark.  She's more upset about Jorah, who already betrayed her once.  Her dead dragon is lying in the castle courtyard but that whole funeral thing passed it by.  Too bad Viserion, go sit in the corner with Ghost.  

The death of Rhaegal was all sorts of horrible writing.  Dany is given a severe case of "plot induced stupidity" to FORGET about the Iron fleet.  Then there's the "Surprise! Bet you weren't expecting that!" of the rapid fire, heat seeking, armour piercing, supersonic ballista bolts attack.  The same lethal weapons that are rendered hopelessly inaccurate by Drogon and Dany's plot armour seconds later.

Good job I only get an hour for lunch.  No time to start ranting at what they're about to do to Jaime's character arc.

Fuck me, trust you to jump on anything negative!  

Glad it was only an hour, read the first paragraph and didn't really want to continue :) 
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

You're certainly right about the dragons, they've reduced them to vulnerable plot devices.  The death of Rhaegal is one of the dumbest things GoT has ever done.  It's so disappointing that a show that used be all about character driving the plot is now forcing characters in to stupid actions to meet required plot points and they can get to the end in a hurry.

The existential apocalyptic threat has been taken care of by Arya and her trampoline so now we're left with Cersei as the final boss to defeat and in reality she's just an alcoholic, ex-wife with anger issues.  No threat at all compared to the Night King and no real threat to the combined armies of the 7 kingdoms, the Dothraki (somehow half of them survived!) and Unsullied.  So for plot reasons they have to level the playing field, a tacit omission that the final villain is too weak to generate any drama or doubt about the outcome.

Dany's character has been butchered to accommodate all this plot necessity.  She has had to face the undead Viserion.  She's the mother of dragons and that is her child, murdered by the Night King and now turned against her.  She has to fight her own dead child.  Imagine having to kill your own zombies kids with a hammer.  Who could even do it?  Who could go through that without being a total emotional wreck?  But it barely seems to make any sort of mark on her.  You have to chop off her PA's head if you even want to make her look a bit cross. 

I was reminded of the Walking Dead where Carol's daughter Sophia gets lost and they spend a whole series searching for her.  The scene where Carol finally confronts her own dead zombie daughter is one of the most horrendous, gut wrenching things I've ever seen in a TV drama.  We don't get anything like that with Dany, just a big CGI punch up in the dark.  She's more upset about Jorah, who already betrayed her once.  Her dead dragon is lying in the castle courtyard but that whole funeral thing passed it by.  Too bad Viserion, go sit in the corner with Ghost.  

The death of Rhaegal was all sorts of horrible writing.  Dany is given a severe case of "plot induced stupidity" to FORGET about the Iron fleet.  Then there's the "Surprise! Bet you weren't expecting that!" of the rapid fire, heat seeking, armour piercing, supersonic ballista bolts attack.  The same lethal weapons that are rendered hopelessly inaccurate by Drogon and Dany's plot armour seconds later.

Good job I only get an hour for lunch.  No time to start ranting at what they're about to do to Jaime's character arc.

Fuck me, trust you to jump on anything negative!  

Glad it was only an hour, read the first paragraph and didn't really want to continue :) 

I'd normally nerd on about this for hours with my friends but we haven't been able to get together since the new series started.  Charlton Life is getting it in the ear instead!!
  • Options
    It seems so obvious to me just looking at the Tyrion and Varys characters alone, that the current writers do not really know what to do since they ran out of source material. Those charcters use to "love the game" and were many steps ahead of everyone else. Now they are "boo-hoo" types who seem to have forgotten how to play the game.

Fire and Ice.... Dragons and Walkers... each of these are easily defeated now, one by a teenage girl with a knife and the other with giant arrows out of nowhere.

I have a feeling with so many characters left to kill in so little time, this is going to leave a bad taste in our mouths, and many of us wondering why we followed it for many years just to have it all end so disappointingly.
  • Options
    Fair play to them. They’ve worked hard on running the show, under a massive amount of pressure and tbh they’ll be glad to see the back of it. 

People dont ever go out of their way to make something bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair play to them. They’ve worked hard on running the show, under a massive amount of pressure and tbh they’ll be glad to see the back of it. 

Welcome to Charlton Life Roland.  ;)
  • Options

But it can also be interpreted as 'fkn hell, if the audience are giving us pelters about the first few episodes I don't want to be around when they see the last one'
  • Options
    Spot on analysis.
  • Options

Obviously you never saw the Star Wars prequels by George Lucas.
  • Options

Sorry last one, I follow a lot of GoT fans so always see stuff I don't go looking for it. 

The one thing that is sad for me, is as people have said is I think people are going into the episodes ahead looking for flaws now. I have not read the leaks and have somehow avoided them so far but GoT is on it's way to becoming Dexter/Lost finale levels by the looks of things apparently
  • Options
    Yeah Breaking Bad is widely regarded as the best way to end a show. Although there is a movie in the works now! 

I thought the the end of Sopranos was genius too. 

The end of Lost was half-disappointing (the island stuff was fine). But I didn’t think it was badly executed, it was more the direction they went in with the flash sideways that was disappointing. 

The last season of Dexter is stunning in how bad it is. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Yeah Breaking Bad is widely regarded as the best way to end a show. Although there is a movie in the works now! 

I thought the the end of Sopranos was genius too. 

The end of Lost was half-disappointing (the island stuff was fine). But I didn’t think it was badly executed, it was more the direction they went in with the flash sideways that was disappointing. 

The last season of Dexter is stunning in how bad it is. 
    Last season of Dexter ruined it for me. 

I loved it, felt real sadness when that character was killed by John Lithgow.

Amazing, amazing stuff. 

Deb was annoying as fudge though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Can't believe Jon Snow's wolf-dog won the Iron Throne. Did not see that coming.

• Options
    Not so much plot armour kicking around this week. 
  • Options
    Latest episode was extremely daft in places but I still enjoyed it immensely. The termination of a few character arcs that we were led to believe would probably come at Winterfell ended up happening in King’s Landing, further showing the Night King shenanigans were just a sideshow and that the true story of all this was always destined to reach its climax down south. In amongst the madness (literally and metaphorically) there was still poignant moments, and it seems, even at this late stage, we were thrown a big GoT trademark curve ball a couple of weeks back. I’ll accept the descent into madness has been a bit rushed but as I’ve argued before, there have been signs for a while. She’s had strong wrong ‘un potential for several series and surely part of what we like about GoT is the way characters have ebbed and flowed between being good guys and bad guys like real complex people. Dany’s swing takes it to a new extreme but, again, they’ve been telling us for 8 seasons how it runs in her family
    sobit’s not just some half baked plot device to get the show over and done with, and this ending is George R R’s, even if he hasn’t figured out exactly how to get there yet. 

I don’t think this is the best season of the 8, last seasons often aren’t, but I’m
    firmly in the “they’re not fucking this up camp.” 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Cannot wait for Bran to wheel through the rubble and sit by the iron throne
  • Options
    Lot of character arcs got thrown to shit. Vary's suddenly becomes a traitor? Tyrion wrong...again? Jamie after a great arc just goes back to die? Euron just happens to wash up on shore when he shows up? Dany goes crazy for no real reason? Jon Snow still does not see the light about Dany? He is pretty dense. Cersei is not killed by anyone at all. Oy. The only character who seemed to improve her standing this episode was Arya.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed that episode, as long as you accept the major character arc that is occurring everything makes sense.  

Loved Tyrion and Jamie's goodbye and the battle scene was immense. Trouble brewing between Greyworm and Jon, plus I predict Arya has a new name on her list.