Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Washup Charlton v Reading

Comments

• Options

First double?

Cheers H, I'll have vodka. Be rude not to raise a toast to GL for his ongoing success.
  • Options
    After the break second half an absolute pleasure, couple of sloppy goals and a meat pie with lava for gravy, couldn't dampen spirits, the smiles before the game made my day complete.
  • Options
    Trips to the Valley certainly becoming rather pleasurable at the moment - that was a really enjoyable second half and I sat back and watched in awe the slick passing and movement that was going on. That was definitely up there with the first 20 minutes against Derby. And certainly the 3-2 scoreline was no real reflection on our superiority.

Just a couple of points. Firstly, delighted to see Morgan Fox play so well - and to see all the positive comments from others about him. I have simply never understood how this young man, who don't forget came into the team at a vital time at the end of last season and performed admirably well (anyone remember his cross for Jackson's vital goal against Watford?) has had so much stick from some on here.

Secondly, I for one was disappointed Simon Church never started. He deserved a start after his efforts at Blackpool and with Vetokele injured and Watt clearly not fully fit. Chris Eagles is a talented footballer but today showed that playing as a frontman is probably not a position he is going to excel in.

Thirdly, what a talent we have in Joe Gomez. Reminds me so much of a young Paul Elliott and Richard Rufus. I'm going to enjoy every minute of seeing him play because sadly, he is going to be snapped up by one of the big boys shortly.

Finally, does anyone know why we didn't name a seventh substitute when Solly went down injured in the warm-up and was replaced by Diarra (himself named as one of the original substitutes). Surely there must have been some other player at the Valley who could have been told to get himelf down to the dressing room and get changed?

• Options
    Personally I thought we weren't at the races in the first half. Too many short passes and not enough urgency. If truth be told I wasn't pleased with any of them.

Great 2nd half and I've read a couple of views on here as to who we can attribute it too. For me, and the reason for our revival as a whole, TONY WATT. He has given us a face lift. Him being in the team has boosted JBG, given Cousins the opportunity to play and thrive in the centre, and more importantly, made us a threat going forward.

If Poyet could win player of the year on his half a season of performances last year, then Watt has got to be in the mix. I said I was gonna go for JBG, but the more I see of Watt, the more it is a pleasure to watch.

He is the focal point of our team next year and we must build around him. The run for the 3rd that he set up was class.
  • Options

Really enjoyed that.

Thought we were comfortable first half and played some good stuff without threatening much. Reading's opener must have been their first shot on target but that fat Polish No7 always looked a threat for them.

Second half was just great entertainment and it was all over long before they scored their second. Very soft penalty, ridiculous sending off, Buyens scoring off his knee, Eagles heading over, Watt missing a sitter and then lining up a golden chance that even Churchy couldn't miss with a lethal combination of his left thigh and right testicle.

Sorry but still struggle to see the value of a central midfielder who doesn't tackle or head the ball even when if he does score two goals. Credit to Cousins that he is allowed to get away with it.

Watt brilliant but knackered for last 20 mins. Gomez a real class above the rest and Fox very strong.

Felt sorry or Eagles. Clearly a good technical player but not a striker and nothing much worked for him today.

Great value for money though. Keep it up Sir Lenny.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't enjoyed watching a Charlton team as much as do now for many a season. This team has it all and is such a shame that games are running out so quickly. Roll on Good Friday
  • Options

Really enjoyed that.

Thought we were comfortable first half and played some good stuff without threatening much. Reading's opener must have been their first shot on target but that fat Polish No7 always looked a threat for them.

Second half was just great entertainment and it was all over long before they scored their second. Very soft penalty, ridiculous sending off, Buyens scoring off his knee, Eagles heading over, Watt missing a sitter and then lining up a golden chance that even Churchy couldn't miss with a lethal combination of his left thigh and right testicle.

Sorry but still struggle to see the value of a central midfielder who doesn't tackle or head the ball even when if he does score two goals. Credit to Cousins that he is allowed to get away with it.

Watt brilliant but knackered for last 20 mins. Gomez a real class above the rest and Fox very strong.

Felt sorry or Eagles. Clearly a good technical player but not a striker and nothing much worked for him today.

Great value for money though. Keep it up Sir Lenny.

He's Russian and signed for big money when they were in the Prem.
  • Options
    Who was the Reading player that raked the penalty spot with his studs just before Buyens took the pen? Hate thlose kind of antics. Deserved a yellow at least.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed that game. Whilst a number of our players had decent games, Cousins for me was the outstanding player on that pitch. As well as running tirelessly for the entire match and doing the defensive midfield work that was needed, he was also spraying the ball around and pulling the strings in much the same way that a certain Mr Poyet was doing for us this time last year. Man of the match and player of the year as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Posting after an all dayer.

Loved it when Luzon went to get a sub on for Watt after the sending off and his sign language saying it's ok boss I've not lost it. Would have loved to have been able to hear their chat when Watt was subbed.

Luzons cheeky kick up his arse made me chuckle.
  • Options

Great second half. A bit annoyed that the last goal went in as we deserved a much more comfortable scoreline. So pleasing to see Morgan Fox grow game by game, you can see how confident he is becoming and he's offering a lot more in the opposition half now as well. Pleased for Simon Church as too. I would like to have Churchy here next season as an alternative to Igor and Watt with another, more prolific striker. The chants of "Simon Churchinho" were uncalled for, I think, as they were obviously sarcastic. But he got his head down, worked hard and scored the decisive goal. Well done Simon!

So what about when we sing about Chris Solly being better than John Terry, is that ok?

I know somebody will say 'well he is'... But that chant is sarcastic, so are we supposed to stop that one too?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    seth plum said:

PWR

An excellent and thoroughly deserved win, where immense credit should go to Guy Luzon, the players, and also the support.
    A game of drama and mystery, and I hope others can explain some of the mystery involved, but more of that later.
    We were unsettled by the late withdrawal of Solly, and it left central defence a bit lacking in mobility and pace, Roger and Diarra got through the game as much on experience as anything else. We started nicely, some really good flowing football, but we didn't threaten. After Reading got through that crucial first twenty minutes without conceding, they upped their game, and the bloke with the long name swooped on an opportunity and scored just before half time, slotted away well.
    In the first half I thought Fox was our best player, but Eagles was not that involved, and when covering in defensive positions I thought Yoni was actually a bit of a liability. We also switched Johan and Bulot quite early which was a mini mystery, because I thought they were both more effective before they switched.
    So losing, but not despairing at half time, and then the players returned for the proverbial roller coaster to come.
    We could easily have scored six in the second half by the way. The handball for the penalty was a mystery from where I was in the East Stand, but judging by the crowd appeal, the decisiveness of the referee, and the lack of protests it must have been kosher.
    Yoni is our best penalty taker since Darren Bent.
    After that it wasn't so much Reading panicked, than we upped our game to the point of being unstoppable. Cousins had a brilliant second half, driving us on and he was everywhere. Joe Gomez was superb, he is the real deal folks, and it was his great cross that a slightly surprised Yoni met with a deft yet forceful finish. Lovely stuff.
    We then proceeded to batter them. Eagles ought to have scored with his header, and then was replaced by Church who was unlucky soon after with a good shot blocked.
    The third goal was brilliance and ugliness in fusion. Tony Watt got through on the right with sheer willpower overcoming his body's screaming resistance, and Church simply could not avoid his cross, which bum-bit Reading off his shoulder, it was written in the stars that one.
    The biggest mystery, which I hope someone can make sense of, was the bookings and sending off. I can only think there were verbals going on, and I think Yoni got booked along with Watt, and their guy got a second yellow. We then settled back with our one man advantage and Mr Longname gave Reading some hope. A late free kick was nicely taken by Captain Henderson, and that was that. A really good win, and the double over Reading.
    As for our players. Henderson was ok, Roger and Diarra got through the match ok, I thought both Fox and Gomez were excellent. Yoni was poor first half, but a hell of a lot better in the second, but he was massively overshadowed by an imperious Cousins who simply ran the game in the second half. Bulot and Johan were a constant worry to Reading and contributed well.
    I was not impressed by Eagles, but Watt played his usual, easy to take for granted, game. He did miss a chance it has to be said, but I am really getting to like his style, and he is a huge pain in the arse for defenders isn't he? Church produced another good cameo, and Lepoint did what Lepoint does.
    In a game with nothing to play for, that was hugely entertaining, the match unfolded and revealed its exciting narrative as the afternoon progressed, and it would have been a very affirmative experience for everybody there.

I admire you, Seth, for your knowledge, intelligence, experience, and I agree with you. Don't forget that we were completely taken apart by Blackburn last Saturday - long balls precisely received and deftly sent to a good striker.

Compare and contrast Jordan Rhodes with Igor Vetokele. Rhodes is utterly ruthless; meanwhile, our man needs three touches to control the ball - then it's gone.

We were very lucky to beat Forest two weeks ago. We still need a good midfielder to get a grip of the game...

• Options

Trips to the Valley certainly becoming rather pleasurable at the moment - that was a really enjoyable second half and I sat back and watched in awe the slick passing and movement that was going on. That was definitely up there with the first 20 minutes against Derby. And certainly the 3-2 scoreline was no real reflection on our superiority.

Just a couple of points. Firstly, delighted to see Morgan Fox play so well - and to see all the positive comments from others about him. I have simply never understood how this young man, who don't forget came into the team at a vital time at the end of last season and performed admirably well (anyone remember his cross for Jackson's vital goal against Watford?) has had so much stick from some on here.

Secondly, I for one was disappointed Simon Church never started. He deserved a start after his efforts at Blackpool and with Vetokele injured and Watt clearly not fully fit. Chris Eagles is a talented footballer but today showed that playing as a frontman is probably not a position he is going to excel in.

Thirdly, what a talent we have in Joe Gomez. Reminds me so much of a young Paul Elliott and Richard Rufus. I'm going to enjoy every minute of seeing him play because sadly, he is going to be snapped up by one of the big boys shortly.

Finally, does anyone know why we didn't name a seventh substitute when Solly went down injured in the warm-up and was replaced by Diarra (himself named as one of the original substitutes). Surely there must have been some other player at the Valley who could have been told to get himelf down to the dressing room and get changed?

Luzon only takes 18 to matches, no extra in case of late injuries, albeit that Ben Roberts has used a third keeper duting the warm up at The Valley recently. The problem comes when you get situations like the one with Solly yesterday. Onyewu had to pull out during the warm-up at Ipswich as well.

• Options
    Two months ago, I couldn't wait for the season to end. Now, I don't want it to finish. First half it was like watching (Alan) Brazil. Second half we were the real deal. Congratulations to Guy Luzon for turning it around. I take it all back... You do know what you're doing. The future's bright, the future's Red n White
  • Options

seth plum said:

PWR

An excellent and thoroughly deserved win, where immense credit should go to Guy Luzon, the players, and also the support.
    A game of drama and mystery, and I hope others can explain some of the mystery involved, but more of that later.
    We were unsettled by the late withdrawal of Solly, and it left central defence a bit lacking in mobility and pace, Roger and Diarra got through the game as much on experience as anything else. We started nicely, some really good flowing football, but we didn't threaten. After Reading got through that crucial first twenty minutes without conceding, they upped their game, and the bloke with the long name swooped on an opportunity and scored just before half time, slotted away well.
    In the first half I thought Fox was our best player, but Eagles was not that involved, and when covering in defensive positions I thought Yoni was actually a bit of a liability. We also switched Johan and Bulot quite early which was a mini mystery, because I thought they were both more effective before they switched.
    So losing, but not despairing at half time, and then the players returned for the proverbial roller coaster to come.
    We could easily have scored six in the second half by the way. The handball for the penalty was a mystery from where I was in the East Stand, but judging by the crowd appeal, the decisiveness of the referee, and the lack of protests it must have been kosher.
    Yoni is our best penalty taker since Darren Bent.
    After that it wasn't so much Reading panicked, than we upped our game to the point of being unstoppable. Cousins had a brilliant second half, driving us on and he was everywhere. Joe Gomez was superb, he is the real deal folks, and it was his great cross that a slightly surprised Yoni met with a deft yet forceful finish. Lovely stuff.
    We then proceeded to batter them. Eagles ought to have scored with his header, and then was replaced by Church who was unlucky soon after with a good shot blocked.
    The third goal was brilliance and ugliness in fusion. Tony Watt got through on the right with sheer willpower overcoming his body's screaming resistance, and Church simply could not avoid his cross, which bum-bit Reading off his shoulder, it was written in the stars that one.
    The biggest mystery, which I hope someone can make sense of, was the bookings and sending off. I can only think there were verbals going on, and I think Yoni got booked along with Watt, and their guy got a second yellow. We then settled back with our one man advantage and Mr Longname gave Reading some hope. A late free kick was nicely taken by Captain Henderson, and that was that. A really good win, and the double over Reading.
    As for our players. Henderson was ok, Roger and Diarra got through the match ok, I thought both Fox and Gomez were excellent. Yoni was poor first half, but a hell of a lot better in the second, but he was massively overshadowed by an imperious Cousins who simply ran the game in the second half. Bulot and Johan were a constant worry to Reading and contributed well.
    I was not impressed by Eagles, but Watt played his usual, easy to take for granted, game. He did miss a chance it has to be said, but I am really getting to like his style, and he is a huge pain in the arse for defenders isn't he? Church produced another good cameo, and Lepoint did what Lepoint does.
    In a game with nothing to play for, that was hugely entertaining, the match unfolded and revealed its exciting narrative as the afternoon progressed, and it would have been a very affirmative experience for everybody there.

I admire you, Seth, for your knowledge, intelligence, experience, and I agree with you. Don't forget that we were completely taken apart by Blackburn last Saturday - long balls precisely received and deftly sent to a good striker.

Compare and contrast Jordan Rhodes with Igor Vetokele. Rhodes is utterly ruthless; meanwhile, our man needs three touches to control the ball - then it's gone.

We were very lucky to beat Forest two weeks ago. We still need a good midfielder to get a grip of the game...

I agree Vetokele has been off the boil for a while now, and I have been quite frustrated with his performances. However we definitely weren't lucky against Forest. We were excellent that night and well deserved the 3pts
  • Options
    I was in a pub watching the rugby and we went 1 nil down. I confidentiality predicted we would go on to win - not been able to feel that gun hoe for years.

Lovin' it.