Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• It's quite refreshing to have had a good political debate on here that hasn't gotten too heated, proves we are not all complete morons :wink:
  • Grapevine for PM ...not that he'd want it :wink:
  • It's quite refreshing to have had a good political debate on here that hasn't gotten too heated, proves we are not all complete morons :wink:

Agreed Sadie, 109 pages for a political thread that wasn't blocked ...it's been very well worth reading, and GV's post capped it all.
  • Voted Conservative, Will be close but think Tories will edge it.
  • Voted Conservative, Will be close but think Tories will edge it.

Do you mean you think the Tories will win a majority of the seats? Or will form part of a coalition (if so, with whom?)? Or will form a minority government?

• edited May 2015
    Chizz said:

Voted Conservative, Will be close but think Tories will edge it.

Do you mean you think the Tories will win a majority of the seats? Or will form part of a coalition (if so, with whom?)? Or will form a minority government?

I was talking simply in terms of votes ( seats obtained ), whether they can form a government however is a different matter.
  • How many seats does a party need to form a minority government? And how do they get approved?
  • How many seats does a party need to form a minority government? And how do they get approved?

The number for majority is 323, so I would guess however many they fall short of that????
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015
    I think feasibly speaking unless some kind of supply & confidence agreement is obtained in advance, only the largest party can realistically form a minority government. Analysts predict that in the likely event of a minority government calling a snap election because it has lost the ability to govern effectively, voters will take it out on the smaller parties to ensure there is a clear winner second time round. Whether this will happen or not remains to be seen. I imagine Tories will attempt to go for a coalition with Lib Dems and DUP, otherwise unless Labour can tie up an agreement with the SNP as a minority government then it will be in the Tories interests to attempt to govern alone and gamble on getting more seats at the next election.
  • Technically speaking if all seats were distributed evenly between 6 main parties you could form a minority government with little over 100 seats. Or am I talking nonsense?
  • edited May 2015
    Have stickies an anon voting intention poll at the top of the forum.
  • edited May 2015
    Fiiish said:

I think feasibly speaking unless some kind of supply & confidence agreement is obtained in advance, only the largest party can realistically form a minority government. Analysts predict that in the likely event of a minority government calling a snap election because it has lost the ability to govern effectively, voters will take it out on the smaller parties to ensure there is a clear winner second time round. Whether this will happen or not remains to be seen. I imagine Tories will attempt to go for a coalition with Lib Dems and DUP, otherwise unless Labour can tie up an agreement with the SNP as a minority government then it will be in the Tories interests to attempt to govern alone and gamble on getting more seats at the next election.

I thought by definition a minority government is where the the party that does not have the largest number of seats forms the government.

######UPDATE

Just googled it. I am talking rubbish.

######
  • @AFKABartram I dunno if its my eyes but the lab/con colours are the wrong way round. That'll piss a few of the freaks on here right off.

Just saw, a nice irony. Would have reordered if I knew the colours were done that way
  • Fiiish said:

I think feasibly speaking unless some kind of supply & confidence agreement is obtained in advance, only the largest party can realistically form a minority government. Analysts predict that in the likely event of a minority government calling a snap election because it has lost the ability to govern effectively, voters will take it out on the smaller parties to ensure there is a clear winner second time round.

A government can no longer call a snap election due to the awful fixed term Parliament Act that the coalition passed. A two thirds majority is required to dissolve Parliament unless a motion of no confidence is passed AND after a 14 day cooling off period nobody else can form a government. Hopefully, it will be repealed a soon as possible in the next Parliament. Two thirds majorities are so unBritish.

• Jints said:

Fiiish said:

I think feasibly speaking unless some kind of supply & confidence agreement is obtained in advance, only the largest party can realistically form a minority government. Analysts predict that in the likely event of a minority government calling a snap election because it has lost the ability to govern effectively, voters will take it out on the smaller parties to ensure there is a clear winner second time round.

A government can no longer call a snap election due to the awful fixed term Parliament Act that the coalition passed. A two thirds majority is required to dissolve Parliament unless a motion of no confidence is passed AND after a 14 day cooling off period nobody else can form a government. Hopefully, it will be repealed a soon as possible in the next Parliament. Two thirds majorities are so unBritish.

Well that too, but if a minority Tory government holds its hands up and says it isn't going to govern any longer, what parties are going to vote against the motion to dissolve Parliament?
  • edited May 2015
    My prediction. I think the Tory/Lib Dem coalition will scrape through. I think a lot the seats that pollsters are predicting the Lib Dems will lose will in fact stay Lib Dem because of massive tactical voting by traditional conservative voters.
  • Sponsored links:

• My prediction. I think the Tory/Lib Lab coalition will scrape through. I think a lot the seats that pollsters are predicting the Lib Dems will lose will in fact stay Lib Dem because of massive tactical voting by traditional conservative voters.

I think a Tory/Lib Lab has every chance of scraping through! I assume you meant Tory/Lib Dem.
  • bobmunro said:

My prediction. I think the Tory/Lib Lab coalition will scrape through. I think a lot the seats that pollsters are predicting the Lib Dems will lose will in fact stay Lib Dem because of massive tactical voting by traditional conservative voters.

I think a Tory/Lib Lab has every chance of scraping through! I assume you meant Tory/Lib Dem.
    Yes!
  • Fiiish said:

Jints said:

Fiiish said:

Well that too, but if a minority Tory government holds its hands up and says it isn't going to govern any longer, what parties are going to vote against the motion to dissolve Parliament?
    Any party behind in the polls would be my guess.

• UKIP's support has dipped a bit but is solid enough to ensure that there won't be a Tory government.

I predict Labour as the largest party (but only just) in a minority coalition with the LibDems. Whether it survives or not really depends on the SNP. EM will not do a deal with the SNP, would be political suicide a la Clegg and tuition fees. However, he can't stop them voting for a Labour Queen Speech and budget.
  • It will all be over soon and then we can all look forward to the Eurovision song contest!
  • Fiiish said:

I think feasibly speaking unless some kind of supply & confidence agreement is obtained in advance, only the largest party can realistically form a minority government.

I don't agree with this bit. It's perfectly possibly for the second-largest party to form a minority government. This is, in fact, one of the (less likely) options that Gordon Brown considered after the last election. The supporters of the larger party would, of course, bleat that it's unconstitutional. But, the last (current) coalition could be described in the same way, as it ignores the second-largest party, but includes the third-largest. So, "feasibly speaking", it is perfectly within the bounds of possibility for a party other than the largest party to form a minority government.
    Fiiish said:

... a minority government calling a snap election because it has lost the ability to govern effectively...

This can't happen any more as the Royal Prerogative (which is what this type of snap election was based on) is no longer constitutional for the dissolution of a Parliament. This is the first election that is impacted by the Fixed Term Parliament Act and it's already causing constitutional questions. And it's not due to have any kind of review until after the *next* election, due on 7 May 2020.

• Jints said:

UKIP's support has dipped a bit but is solid enough to ensure that there won't be a Tory government.

I predict Labour as the largest party (but only just) in a minority coalition with the LibDems. Whether it survives or not really depends on the SNP. EM will not do a deal with the SNP, would be political suicide a la Clegg and tuition fees. However, he can't stop them voting for a Labour Queen Speech and budget.

What? Are you saying that Ukip will take tens of seats from the Tories?

• i'd honestly be gobsmacked if ukip even maintain the number of seats that they currently have. 2.
  • Chizz said:

Jints said:

UKIP's support has dipped a bit but is solid enough to ensure that there won't be a Tory government.

What? Are you saying that Ukip will take tens of seats from the Tories?

They won't take many , if any but they will take Conservative votes away possible letting Labour in , in marginal seats.