Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Seeing Adam Boulton fronting Sky's election coverage reminds me of one of my favorite moments of the last election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZKmWdgiAq0&feature=player_detailpage
  • Silly woman, everyone knows Poland Day ain't till November

Now, now Callum, you should know by now that posting pictures, memes, snapshots etc don't count. We need facts man, FACTS!!!!!!

Now, now Callum, you should know by now that posting pictures, memes, snapshots etc don't count. We need facts man, FACTS!!!!!!
    No, he's got it into his head that bold shouty words, pictures and tick symbols trump facts every time. I've decided he is actually Ed Balls and I claim my ten pounds.
  • cafcfan said:

No, he's got it into his head that bold shouty words, pictures and tick symbols trump facts every time. I've decided he is actually Ed Balls and I claim my ten pounds.

Hey, I can't claim to be any better. I posted a dubious picture yesterday instead of spending twenty minutes Googling some real substance.
  • I think that stone was quite a clever gimmick - of course it was a gimmick. What is says to me that breaking a promise that has the party leader standing in front of it in this way would be incredibly damaging. Imagine a picture of Nick Clegg standing in front of a no tuition fees promise carved in stone! So I believe more that the promise will be kept. I think that is the psychology and it is sound.
  • I think that stone was quite a clever gimmick - of course it was a gimmick. What is says to me that breaking a promise that has the party leader standing in front of it in this way would be incredibly damaging. Imagine a picture of Nick Clegg standing in front of a no tuition fees promise carved in stone! So I believe more that the promise will be kept. I think that is the psychology and it is sound.

You dead right it was clever, even more so that the "pledges" were all so bland and without any element at all that could not be easily manipulated. "An NHS that has the time to care." What does that mean,for example, more resources or longer hours for the staff? Who knows?
  • Yes, that was clever too. The Tories focused on ridiculing the concept rather than the detail. I think they have run a very lacklustre campaign and that is just one aspect of it. They have relied too much on the fear factor which Miliband has handled well with his ruling out of a deal with the SNP. Also their welfare cut policy has been crazy. They have said the amount but not who they will target. So rather than miff of the ones they actually will target, everybody is worried. Cameron decided he didn't like debates so missed important airtime and gave a perception that he was scared to debate one on one. The truth doesn't matter, you have to play the game, make the right judgements and be willing to get your hands dirty.
  • Sponsored links:

• I will be really interested to hear what some on hear say if/when Ed is sitting in Downing St either with an SNP coalition or even more dangerously as a minority government with vote by vote support. I would hope lots will be saying 'yep we trusted him, but he turned out to be a dirty lying git, and now we can't change it'.
  • edited May 2015
    They have also allowed Miliband to set the battleground. People who write him off are missing what an able politician he is. I'll say it now at this late stage where the polling closes in a few minutes, but with the upsurge in the economy and the SNP emergence, there is no way he should have a hope of being prime minister. He didn't have a hope of being Labour leader either btw. He set the battle ground two years ago on the recovery that wasn't for everybody. If it was set at this election it would have had less effect, but a lot of people will look at not seeing the benefit in a couple of years and be more inclined to believe it.

Whether he will be a great leader is to be seen, but he is a remarkable politician and the fact that his opponents don't realise it is even more credit to him. The meeting with Brand, the pledges in Stone, the debate them anywhere stance, the SNP no deal pledge in the biggest tv debate (if that's the right word for it). To the Tories he is like one of those confidence tricksters who mugs you but you don't realise until the next day.
  • I will be really interested to hear what some on hear say if/when Ed is sitting in Downing St either with an SNP coalition or even more dangerously as a minority government with vote by vote support. I would hope lots will be saying 'yep we trusted him, but he turned out to be a dirty lying git, and now we can't change it'.

Replace the word Ed with Dave and I'm with you.

I said that about Bliar.

I said that about Bliar.
    Lionel
  • brogib said:

I will be really interested to hear what some on hear say if/when Ed is sitting in Downing St either with an SNP coalition or even more dangerously as a minority government with vote by vote support. I would hope lots will be saying 'yep we trusted him, but he turned out to be a dirty lying git, and now we can't change it'.

I said that about Bliar.
    Lionel

He'd've been better.
  • Exit poll looking good for Cameron
  • Bloody Hell. That Exit Poll.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2015
    Exit polls showing Tories to romp home.

Tories 316
    Labour 239
    SNP 58
    Others 25
    Lib Dems 10
    UKIP 2
  • What's her name on sky looks a bit saucy though
  • What a collaps for Lib Dems
  • What's her name on sky looks a bit saucy though

Nina Hossain ain't looking to shabby on ITV an all
  • Exit polls showing Tories to romp home.

Tories 316
    Labour 239
    SNP 58
    Others 25
    Lib Dems 10
    UKIP 2

"Romp home"?

*chuckles*
  • Exit poll I place a fair degree of accuracy on, however it is completely at odds of virtually every poll there has been over the last year
  • brogib said:

What's her name on sky looks a bit saucy though

Nina Hossain ain't looking to shabby on ITV an all
    Haha yes didn't realise what channel I was on!
  • Incredible exit polls if they're remotely accurate. Tories gain seats and Labour loses them, ringing endorsement for Cameron over Miliband.
  • How reliable are exit polls? Is a survey of 20,000 people that accurate??
  • Chizz said:

Exit polls showing Tories to romp home.

Tories 316
    Labour 239
    SNP 58
    Others 25
    Lib Dems 10
    UKIP 2

"Romp home"?

*chuckles*
    So you are not surprised then? I'm amazed how big the difference is.