Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• Fiiish said:

MrOneLung said:

Well I for one have enjoyed the verbal jousting ( can you even do that online?) between Fiish ShootersHill et al even when some of the brickbats and responses have been let's say robust. Have learnt a lot on this thread mainly due to both sides producing actual statistics and linking to articles to back up their claims and counterclaims. On such an emotive subject once the results were in emotions were gonna be running high but I say bring on the GENERAL ELECTION 2020 thread.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bowing out of the thread, I'm just refusing to engage with the 4 or 5 trolls whose only contribution so far to this thread is finding ways of comparing me to a phallus.
    I've been doing that for twenty years.

Thoroughly enjoyed your input in this thread and kind of proud In the way you've fought your corner.

• Enjoyed being called a troll. A first I think. Anyway. To leave the EU would be madness. The world is now all about trading blocks. America (USA) South America, China, India, The Far East. Europe.

Don't quote Norway or bloody Switzerland at me. It's like comparing the Corner shop to Harrods.

We must stay in otherwise in 50 years we will be bloody Norway.

I think I agree with this!

This election result has already made the rest of the EU nervous. This has given Cameron an excellent position to commence his negotiations. If they can get a positive response to what they think is best for the UK, then they will get the 'yes' response they obviously want, to the satisfaction of even the euro sceptics.

The ball will now be in the German and French's court. These two nations, above all others, should know they need the UK on their side. Let's hope history has taught them that lesson.

At the moment, I'm prepared to tell the rest of Europe 'good luck' because they will not be the economic or federal power that some of them dream of without us on the inside.

• The highlight of the night was Nina Hossein
  • Addickted said:

Enjoyed being called a troll. A first I think. Anyway. To leave the EU would be madness. The world is now all about trading blocks. America (USA) South America, China, India, The Far East. Europe.

Don't quote Norway or bloody Switzerland at me. It's like comparing the Corner shop to Harrods.

We must stay in otherwise in 50 years we will be bloody Norway.

I think I agree with this!

This election result has already made the rest of the EU nervous. This has given Cameron an excellent position to commence his negotiations. If they can get a positive response to what they think is best for the UK, then they will get the 'yes' response they obviously want, to the satisfaction of even the euro sceptics.

The ball will now be in the German and French's court. These two nations, above all others, should know they need the UK on their side. Let's hope history has taught them that lesson.

At the moment, I'm prepared to tell the rest of Europe 'good luck' because they will not be the economic or federal power that some of them dream of without us on the inside.

Free movement will be the stumbling block for Cameron. I don't see the Germans or French folding on that issue. It's fundamental to the free market within the EU. I think he can get concessions but depending on your starting point I think whatever he can achieve will be viewed by the sceptics as failure unless he gets complete border control.

I just hope the economic arguments are strong enough to persuade the vast majority of the electorate that don't have an understanding of the implications for a "out" vote.
  • General apology.

Sorry to the posters on this very wonderful thread that several of us have on occasion hijacked it for a handbags fight.

I don't usually bite but I got drawn in and on that basis I think my opponent achieved his aim of rattling me. I have appologised to him in a pm. He didn't respond. I am now openly say to Fiish lets just stop.

I don't want to spoil this thread for the majority.

Truce ?

:)
  • Just been reading the BBC page on why the Polls got is so wrong.

As on here, shy Conservatives were mentioned.
    It's a possibility, but if so, they why are they shy?

My own view it that maybe Labour voters feel more that they are doing it for social reasons and like announce this whereas more Tories maybe do it for personal reasons and don't?

The hate a lot of left wingers have for the tories means that a lot of ordinary folk dont want to jeapordise their personal and business relationships because they vote a certain way. At least, that's why i've always been very hush hush about my political views except to my close friends and er... charlton life.
  • If Cameron gets a deal sorted can he then say to the rest of Europe 'OK, done...errm, subject to my referendum at home'? Europe makes compromises with the British, and still risks it being thrown back in its face. Cameron can't guarantee he could deliver his side of things but has to persuade Europe to hang on until the referendum result is known. A weak bargaining position.
  • Cameron planning to repeal the fox hunting ban...............
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32649529

I wish Parliament was filled with 650 Caroline Lucas clones.

Good

• Arise Sir Lynton Crosby...

The man whose face you rarely see who sold the British people two useless toffs in one decade.

Materialism and fear, the bedrock of English politics. God help us all.

• Arise Sir Lynton Crosby...

The man whose face you rarely see who sold the British people two useless toffs in one decade.

Materialism and fear, the bedrock of English politics. God help us all.

Cheer up
  • edited May 2015

Cameron planning to repeal the fox hunting ban...............

He loves the blood of innocent, sentient beings on his hands, his father-in-law loves to host hunts. Both, in my eyes, are twats.

• Not that I'm really bothered about a load of poxy foxes but repealing the hunting ban should be way down his list of priorities. Let's hope it is.
  • se9addick said:

Has Cameron ever clarified exactly what it is he wants to negotiate with the EU on ? I keep hearing "a fairer deal for Britain" - what exactly does that mean ?

Whatever he wants it to mean. I genuinely doubt we will see a referendum in this parliament (and hope we don't). Cameron's off before the next election anyway so whoever takes over just plays the Blame Dave card.

He can't do it unilaterally can he ? Surely it would need for the Act which made it illegal in the first place to be repealed by parliament ?
  • se9addick said:

Cameron planning to repeal the fox hunting ban...............

He can't do it unilaterally can he ? Surely it would need for the Act which made it illegal in the first place to be repealed by parliament ?

Cameron wrote in the Countryside Alliance magazine: “The Hunting Act has done nothing for animal welfare. A Conservative government will give parliament the opportunity to repeal the Hunting Act on a free vote, with a government bill in government time.”

Does anyone really want a full, legal return of this? Just so a tiny minority of individuals can 'enjoy' themselves?
  • Sponsored links:

Callum - what is your source for this statement, only I cant find any recent announcements on the matter?
  • se9addick said:

Has Cameron ever clarified exactly what it is he wants to negotiate with the EU on ? I keep hearing "a fairer deal for Britain" - what exactly does that mean ?

Whatever he wants it to mean. I genuinely doubt we will see a referendum in this parliament (and hope we don't). Cameron's off before the next election anyway so whoever takes over just plays the Blame Dave card.
    Why don't you think the referendum will happen in 2017, only
    the Guardian today, along with the rest of the press seem pretty certain its a major issue for the new Government.
  • Just been reading the BBC page on why the Polls got is so wrong.

As on here, shy Conservatives were mentioned.
    It's a possibility, but if so, they why are they shy?

My own view it that maybe Labour voters feel more that they are doing it for social reasons and like announce this whereas more Tories maybe do it for personal reasons and don't?

My own view on this is that "Shy Tories" is a misnomer.

The fact is that pollsters don't do their job for fun or love: they do it because it makes them a lot of money.

Data are very valuable and provide a whole industry with large profits.

My stance is that if a large institution asked me to go and work for them I'd want paying, I'd also want paying for handing over my valuable personal information. That's why I (sort of) accept the idea of Sainsbury's giving me Nectar points in exchange for all the useful shopping info they collect about me.

So, if anyone rings up (as they fairly frequently seem to) and says they are conducting a survey or poll and it will only take a few minutes. My response is usually: "Data have a value to you, how much of it are you sharing with me?" They never want to pay of course, so I tell them to swivel on it. Or if I'm feeling vindictive, I tell them a porkie to screw up their figures.

In summary, I don't think shyness has anything to do with it - it's just that people get pissed off with tossers asking them questions.

Callum - what is your source for this statement, only I cant find any recent announcements on the matter?

Just a quick Google of 'Cameron wants to repeal hunting ban' and the first thing to come up is a story from the Independent dated Friday 06 March '15.
  • edited May 2015
    Yes, saw that pre election discussion regarding a free vote.
    So if it happens, and I am dead against it personally, it will be truly a democratic decision with no party whip. (Scuse the pun)
    I thought Callum was raising it now as some kind of post election announcement.
  • edited May 2015
    aliwibble said:

And already the DWP have announced that they're looking to make changes to the Access to Work fund, that helps fund equipment and support to enable the most disabled people get into work. Bastards.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/hours-after-the-election-the-dwp-says-is-looking-to-cut-a-disabled-access-to-work-scheme-10237191.html

I'm confused about this fund. What does it pay for?
    Employers have a legal responsibility to provide the disabled with the facilities they need to do a job and to have accessibility and must not discriminate against the disabled. So is this some form of subsidy to employers rather than payments to disabled employees?
  • se9addick said:

the Guardian today, along with the rest of the press seem pretty certain its a major issue for the new Government.
    Because I don't believe he will get the concessions required to guarantee an 'In' vote from the EU. In the absence of this he knows that the public are way too susceptible to the sort of populist nonsense about immigrants being responsible for all societies ills to be trusted with a vote that would ruin our country for generations. Politically, he's broken "cast iron " promises before yet just been voted back in with a majority so that won't worry them.

It will be THE defining issue for this government.
  • se9addick said:

It will be THE defining issue for this government.
    So not the NHS now?

• ...well that and the decimation of our public services :-(

It will be more onerous than decimation which means "removal of a tenth".