Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• Options

Prague, in case you haven't invested in The Enneagram Made Easy, some passages from

Practical Suggestions and Exercises for a One:

1. Self-Nurturing
    • Spend some time each day doing some recreational activities you enjoy, for instance, gardening, watching movies, playing a sport, walking, being with friends, or puttering in your workshop.
    • Give yourself special treats regularly (flowers, sports events, bubble baths, dinner at your favorite restaurant).
    • Accentuate the importance of humor in your life. Memorize jokes, collect cartoons, watch comedy shows.
    • Become aware of what you want and learn to ask for it (even for whims).
    • Avoid the word should. Change the should sentence to “I want to…” or “I don’t want to….” For example, “I should visit Mike” becomes “I want to visit Mike” or “I don’t want to visit Mike.”
    • Take a class in and practice stress reduction, meditation, or yoga.
    • Pat yourself on the back for allowing yourself to have one helter-skelter drawer, closet, or room.
    • Take vacations to get away from work and compulsive doing.

2. Recognizing and Working with Anger
    • Be aware that you may make sarcastic or cynical remarks when you feel hurt and defensive.
    • Learn to accept anger as a normal and useful human emotion.
    • Ask yourself if there is something you haven’t been aware of beneath your anger, such as sadness or disappointment.
    • Try to realize that expressing anger will not make you unlovable.
    • If expressing your feelings directly does not seem appropriate, exercise, write, or talk with a friend.
    • You will become more frustrated and angrier if you pressure yourself and others to live up to unrealistic expectations.

Baron, Renee; Wagele, Elizabeth (2009-08-27). The Enneagram Made Easy (Kindle Location 321). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Go on, try the bubble bath :smiley:

You think a bubble bath is the right place to listen to the Wall commentary?

I'm going to get on the exercise bike for the first half. heaven knows how I'll manage the second half.

Anyway, neat way for you to side-step addressing those inconvenient truths. Is that a typical Type 5 (or whichever you are) tactic?

:smile:
    ah, "Truths". As Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde said: "The truth is rarely pure and never simple.”

Well indeed. As this article analysing Farage's odious HIV claim, demonstrates...

• Options
    edited April 2015

Prague, in case you haven't invested in The Enneagram Made Easy, some passages from

1. Self-Nurturing
    • Spend some time each day doing some recreational activities you enjoy, for instance, gardening, watching movies, playing a sport, walking, being with friends, or puttering in your workshop.
    • Give yourself special treats regularly (flowers, sports events, bubble baths, dinner at your favorite restaurant).
    • Accentuate the importance of humor in your life. Memorize jokes, collect cartoons, watch comedy shows.
    • Avoid the word should. Change the should sentence to “I want to…” or “I don’t want to….” For example, “I should visit Mike” becomes “I want to visit Mike” or “I don’t want to visit Mike.”
    • Pat yourself on the back for allowing yourself to have one helter-skelter drawer, closet, or room.

• Be aware that you may make sarcastic or cynical remarks when you feel hurt and defensive.
    • Ask yourself if there is something you haven’t been aware of beneath your anger, such as sadness or disappointment.
    • If expressing your feelings directly does not seem appropriate, exercise, write, or talk with a friend.
    • You will become more frustrated and angrier if you pressure yourself and others to live up to unrealistic expectations.

Baron, Renee; Wagele, Elizabeth (2009-08-27). The Enneagram Made Easy (Kindle Location 321). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

I'm going to get on the exercise bike for the first half. heaven knows how I'll manage the second half.

Anyway, neat way for you to side-step addressing those inconvenient truths. Is that a typical Type 5 (or whichever you are) tactic?

ah, "Truths". As Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde said: "The truth is rarely pure and never simple.”

Well indeed. As this article analysing Farage's odious HIV claim, demonstrates...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/254200/Quantitative_Assessment_of_Visitor_and_Migrant_Use_of_the_NHS_in_England_-_Exploring_the_Data_-_SUMMARY._2__pdf.pdf

Page 21 of this is interesting in a time of austerity and suggests there is a debate to be had whatever your stance.

• Options
    edited April 2015

1. Self-Nurturing

Well if it's in the Grauniad, it must be.........[complete as appropriate] :smiley:
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

1. Self-Nurturing

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/254200/Quantitative_Assessment_of_Visitor_and_Migrant_Use_of_the_NHS_in_England_-_Exploring_the_Data_-_SUMMARY._2__pdf.pdf

Page 21 of this is interesting in a time of austerity and suggests there is a debate to be had whatever your stance.

Hi Len

It's a very interesting document, thanks for that. While I concede that my post - Millwall fiasco therapy renders me incapable of really getting my brain around it, it does seem to me that the figures for the cost of deliberate health tourism ( i.e. seeking to get it off the NHS for free rather than paying for it upfront) are pretty low, and they don't seem to be consistent with Farage's figure for HIV related tourism alone. Furthermore, non EEA people account for more than 50 % of the cost.

It seems to me that when it comes to EEA people the main problem is that we are simply not re-charging the other countries - just as they would (or should) recharge the UK if for example you fell ill while on holiday in Spain. Again, you don't need to leave the EU to fix that. On the contrary if we left the EU the 2mill or so people who have second homes in various EU sunny countries would suddenly think about their health needs and say 'hang on a minute'...
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I met a guy (called Bob Jope) yesterday who told me that he taught Nigel Farage at Dulwich College and that at the time he was an unashamed fascist who was known for teaching the other kids Hitler Youth songs. He told me he had evidence to substantiate his claims as well and had been interviewed by the media about it. I Googled his name and came across this article -http://www.channel4.com/news/nigel-farage-ukip-letter-school-concerns-racism-fascism - amongst many other things.

Now I don't for a minute think that all UKIP supporters are Fascists and most I imagine would be disgusted by the thought of the Hitler Youth songs but this is what you are voting for. If you are comfortable with that then fine, crack on. I most certainly would not be.

There are many eminent politicians who did repugnant things in their youth. Nelson Mandela for example.
    Has he repented then?
    I believe in his autobiography he stated that he learnt all his politics as a child and his politics haven't changed so probably not repented. Also I find it odd that you compare him to Nelson Mandela who was obviously fighting against apartheid where a race of people were being killed by the state, as opposed to Nigel who was at a top public school in England.

• Options

Hi Len

It's a very interesting document, thanks for that. While I concede that my post - Millwall fiasco therapy renders me incapable of really getting my brain around it, it does seem to me that the figures for the cost of deliberate health tourism ( i.e. seeking to get it off the NHS for free rather than paying for it upfront) are pretty low, and they don't seem to be consistent with Farage's figure for HIV related tourism alone. Furthermore, non EEA people account for more than 50 % of the cost.

It seems to me that when it comes to EEA people the main problem is that we are simply not re-charging the other countries - just as they would (or should) recharge the UK if for example you fell ill while on holiday in Spain. Again, you don't need to leave the EU to fix that. On the contrary if we left the EU the 2mill or so people who have second homes in various EU sunny countries would suddenly think about their health needs and say 'hang on a minute'...

I've not read the whole of it either, but given that some of the people they're including in the health tourism are expats who come back for treatment, the increase in costs in the EU exit scenario might not be that big (depending on what proportion of them are doing that). That said, given how pissed off Len was about having to prove his identity in order to get a savings account, I dread to think about his reaction to having to do the same if he had to go to A&E.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I met a guy (called Bob Jope) yesterday who told me that he taught Nigel Farage at Dulwich College and that at the time he was an unashamed fascist who was known for teaching the other kids Hitler Youth songs. He told me he had evidence to substantiate his claims as well and had been interviewed by the media about it. I Googled his name and came across this article -http://www.channel4.com/news/nigel-farage-ukip-letter-school-concerns-racism-fascism - amongst many other things.

Now I don't for a minute think that all UKIP supporters are Fascists and most I imagine would be disgusted by the thought of the Hitler Youth songs but this is what you are voting for. If you are comfortable with that then fine, crack on. I most certainly would not be.

There are many eminent politicians who did repugnant things in their youth. Nelson Mandela for example.
    Has he repented then?
    I believe in his autobiography he stated that he learnt all his politics as a child and his politics haven't changed so probably not repented. Also I find it odd that you compare him to Nelson Mandela who was obviously fighting against apartheid where a race of people were being killed by the state, as opposed to Nigel who was at a top public school in England.

Dulwich is hardly a 'top' public school!
    It may have been at the turn of the last century but whilst Farage was there is was, as it is now, very much a lower ranking independent school.

It's fees are not even in the top 50 of schools in the UK.
    (Incidentally they also award more bursaries to low income families than Eton, who themselves have over 20% of their pupils on bursaries)

No. School Day fees per term
    1 Marlborough College 9.375
    2 St Edward’s School 8.891
    3 Sherborne School 8.865
    4 Bradfield College 8.800
    5 Tonbridge School 8.790
    6 Cranleigh School 8.650
    7 Bedales School 8.590
    8 Cheltenham College 8.496
    9 The King’s School (Canterbury) 8.430
    10 Wellington College 8.350
    11 Charterhouse 8.273
    12 Canford School 7.954
    13 Westminster School 7.800
    14 Clayesmore School 7.783
    15 Stowe School 7.770
    16 Bloxham School 7.735
    17 Fettes College 7.730
    18 Uppingham School 7.665
    19 Clifton College 7.575
    20 Malvern College 7.558
    21 Haileybury 7.546
    22 Repton School 7.528
    23 Ardingly College 7.505
    24 Millfield School 7.500
    25 Lancing College 7.480
    26 Gresham’s School 7.475
    27 The Oratory School 7.450
    28 Sedbergh School 7.445
    29 Shrewsbury School 7.385
    30 Dean Close School 7.360
    31 Epsom College 7.335
    32 Reed’s School 7.315
    33 St Paul’s School 7.264
    34 St John’s School 7.155
    35 Worth School 7.085
    36 Brighton College 7.080
    37 Ampleforth College 7.047
    38 Pangbourne College 6.990
    39 Felsted School 6.975
    40 Hurstpierpoint College 6.975

Dulwich come in at a lowly 5,800
  • Options
    I thought all politicians had to go to public school, I thought that was the rule written in our non existent constitution; Oh no of course Jon Major!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just after the election when Labour had promised for the third election in a row to reduce immigration "I see no upper limit to immigration" (David Blunket), two weeks later, live on radio 4 "I see no upper limit to immigration" (Alan Johnson).

David Cameron also promised to reduce immigration however after figures were released showing immigration had risen he said "Well of course most of the immigration is from the EU and we can do nothing about that".

For four elections in a row, parties have promised the British pubic that they will reduce immigration, something which opinion polls consistently say is a major issue for the electorate. For four elections in a row it has gone up and that comes after twenty years of the major parties refusing to even talk about it (Major: Labour, Liberal & Conservative). They are only now discussing it because of the former rise of BNP and now UKIP and even then only begrudgingly, maybe because of their poor record or maybe because it is a political minefield (of their own making).

Someone steps up and says I'll sort it out and guess what, he gets slaughtered by press the other parties with innuendo and disinformation.

The report in the link above is an extrapolation of a wider report written by people who have business interests in the NHS and in order that they are protected ensure that the narrative is politically correct. You believe it if you want to, I believe my own eyes and ears.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Has he repented then?

By this measure, Eton is not a 'top' public school
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Has he repented then?

It may have been at the turn of the last century but whilst Farage was there is was, as it is now, very much a lower ranking independent school.

(Incidentally they also award more bursaries to low income families than Eton, who themselves have over 20% of their pupils on bursaries)

3 Sherborne School 8.865
    5 Tonbridge School 8.790
    6 Cranleigh School 8.650
    7 Bedales School 8.590
    11 Charterhouse 8.273
    12 Canford School 7.954
    15 Stowe School 7.770
    16 Bloxham School 7.735
    17 Fettes College 7.730
    19 Clifton College 7.575
    20 Malvern College 7.558
    21 Haileybury 7.546
    22 Repton School 7.528
    25 Lancing College 7.480
    28 Sedbergh School 7.445
    31 Epsom College 7.335
    32 Reed’s School 7.315
    35 Worth School 7.085
    39 Felsted School 6.975

Fair enough then, as it is only mid ranking he is allowed to be a racist and sing Hitler youth songs.
    Standard practice
  • Options
    brogib said:

LenGlover said:

Has he repented then?

3 Sherborne School 8.865
    5 Tonbridge School 8.790
    6 Cranleigh School 8.650
    7 Bedales School 8.590
    11 Charterhouse 8.273
    12 Canford School 7.954
    15 Stowe School 7.770
    16 Bloxham School 7.735
    17 Fettes College 7.730
    19 Clifton College 7.575
    20 Malvern College 7.558
    21 Haileybury 7.546
    22 Repton School 7.528
    25 Lancing College 7.480
    28 Sedbergh School 7.445
    31 Epsom College 7.335
    32 Reed’s School 7.315
    35 Worth School 7.085
    39 Felsted School 6.975

Fair enough then, as it is only mid ranking he is allowed to be a racist and sing Hitler youth songs.
    Standard practice
    Bloody Belgians.
  • Options
    There is an old saying that the enemy of my enemy is my friend . Both the SNP and the Tories want to damage Labour. Murdoch will probably endorse both.

An Interesting development today from the left's poster girl Sturgeon . Apparently she wants Cameron to stay as PM. Even more fascinating that it is the Tory Daily Telegraph who broke the story .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11514933/Nicola-Sturgeon-secretly-backs-David-Cameron.html

http://www.capx.co/the-tories-are-working-for-an-snp-victory/
  • Options
    ...........but what if your enemy is his own worst enemy?
  • Options
    The SNP may be a lot of things but socialists they ain't. Have a look at the treatment of Michael Forbes for example. Still, I prefer Sturgeon to Salmond.

A Conservative victory would be good for the SNP's only real aim, which is an independent Scotland. I also believe a Conservative government in rUK would be more friendly to an independent Scotland than a Labour one, especially if Scottish Labour are wiped out. Propping up a Labour government in Westminster would not help the SNP politically.

I know I'm probably on my own with this, but I think a Conservative-SNP government would be a decent outcome for the next 5 years (independence debate aside), whether through government or supply-and-confidence.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

There is an old saying that the enemy of my enemy is my friend . Both the SNP and the Tories want to damage Labour. Murdoch will probably endorse both.

An Interesting development today from the left's poster girl Sturgeon . Apparently she wants Cameron to stay as PM. Even more fascinating that it is the Tory Daily Telegraph who broke the story .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11514933/Nicola-Sturgeon-secretly-backs-David-Cameron.html

The capx article is very interesting
  • Options
    IA said:

The SNP may be a lot of things but socialists they ain't. Have a look at the treatment of Michael Forbes for example. Still, I prefer Sturgeon to Salmond.

A Conservative victory would be good for the SNP's only real aim, which is an independent Scotland. I also believe a Conservative government in rUK would be more friendly to an independent Scotland than a Labour one, especially if Scottish Labour are wiped out. Propping up a Labour government in Westminster would not help the SNP politically.

I know I'm probably on my own with this, but I think a Conservative-SNP government would be a decent outcome for the next 5 years (independence debate aside), whether through government or supply-and-confidence.

Hmm... That is unlikely (but with politics, never rule anything out). The Tories have said that a Labour/SNP alliance would be very damaging for the UK because the SNP will use it to further their agenda of leaving the union - how could they (the Tories) then decide it's perfectly ok for them to team up with the SNP?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

IA said:

Hmm... That is unlikely (but with politics, never rule anything out). The Tories have said that a Labour/SNP alliance would be very damaging for the UK because the SNP will use it to further their agenda of leaving the union - how could they (the Tories) then decide it's perfectly ok for them to team up with the SNP?
    Probably the same way [insert example from last 10 years of Conservative/Labour/Lib Dem/UKIP/Plaid Cymru/Monster Raving Loony hypocrisy]...

Yeah, "independence debate aside" was a massive disclaimer from me. I think the SNP have been a poor government for Scotland but I think it just might 'work' best out of the combinations available (assuming Tory-Labour won't happen).
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    IA said:

LenGlover said:

Has he repented then?

By this measure, Eton is not a 'top' public school
    True. Like Winchester, Charterhouse, and Rugby, they dont go in for anything as vulgar as private school fee league tables.

11,500 plus signing on fees for Eton puts it in a different league.

Good to see that man-of-the-people , working class hero out of touch toff, peace envoy ha ha ha Blair's school right up there at 17 though.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Having quoted the Telegraph earlier I will now balance it with the Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/29/three-new-tribes-of-voters-will-dominate-this-election

This is why I believe Labour has the most difficult task in this election. The Party faces challenges from all sides and will be the only party that wants to get support in all of the groups listed above . Cameron will not get support from the 'left behinds' and will concentrate on the south east and a couple of other affluent areas . It can't be democratically healthy that outside London most of our major cities do not have a single Tory MP and they have formed a government . Sturgeon just wants to pull Scotland out of the UK . Somehow Miliband has to get different messages out to the various groups of supporters he wants to attract.

In Scotland the SNP could deny Miliband becoming the largest single party, thus changing the whole scope of who will form the next government . The consequence of the Lib Dem collapse will probably benefit the Tories electorally. Many Labour voters will now not vote tactically for them in places like Carshalton, Lewes and Sutton. This will mean Tory gains not Labour ones .The Lib / Dems have many more defensive seats against the Conservatives than Labour.

Although UKIP does threaten the Tories more. For example Farage's exploits in South Thanet could actually let Labour back in through the middle. They also can harm Miliband in places like Grimsby and Rotherham. Farage will become less appealing as we approach polling day, so the Tories will benefit. His performance Thursday will not attract any new support and might just put some people off. His core support will have lapped it up .

I used to support first past the post but now believe we need electoral reform . I do not believe the electorate understood the basis of the referendum a few years ago and just wanted to give Clegg a bloody nose . Scottish devolution needs to be matched by Regional government / elected Mayors across England in my view .
  • Options
    edited April 2015

smudge writes

'Wow, you suffer from a serious paranoia, or too much caffeine on your diet!

It's good that you agree that the British empire was a better institution than it's Chinesse equivalent. Instead of reading that book you kindly recommended, just look at that recent tread on CL 'ten data maps of London'
    You will see that people from the old empire didn't just come to England after the days of empire, they positively swarmed here! I guess you would agree a better endorsement of the British Empire is hard to imagine!

The only people that will be upset by you continuing to pay your broadband and spout nonsense on here rather than donate that money to the third world, be those people in the third world.
    It's easier to talk than it is to take action isn't it Seth, my old china.'

Well you've taken a while to revive this.
    Your judgement about my supposed paranoia is mistaken, and you have no means of justifying that judgement. As I said, I am defending myself against your attack, not a paranoid reaction on my part.
    There was no Chinese Empire in the same way as the British Empire, there is no equivalence and to judge one thing as 'better' than another seems to me to be the same as saying something like strawberries are 'better' than raspberries.
    People 'swarming' to London is firstly not exclusive to the old colonies, nor is it an endorsement of the British Empire, mainly because they didn't 'swarm' at all, and secondly how does that square with the arrival of so many from Europe in recent years? Sorry, I am afraid I don't agree with your premise.
    It is possible to both pay for broadband and donate, they are not mutually exclusive behaviours. Incidentally I also regularly donate to Demelza, because they are other people, I don't understand what you mean by the 'third world'.
    Your opinion that I spout nonsense on here, remains simply that, your opinion (which has validity as an opinion), but is not a universally established fact.
    As for talk verses action, well you and I don't know each other, and I can't judge your talk to action ratio any more than you can judge mine. I doubt if I am your 'old China', not particularly subtle or funny, and I am aware it is cockney rhyming slang for 'china plate', but your constant references to my association with China, and China itself is troubling because it is beginning to reveal an underlying racism on your part.
    See you next Tuesday?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Fiiish said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/23/opinion/paul-krugman-britains-terrible-no-good-economic-discourse.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

This is an interesting commentary on austerity, it is from the New York Times which I believe is to the right of centre.

Paul Krugman, however, is definitely left-of-centre and is a rather infamous economic commentator who has a very narrow-minded view on how national economies operate. He is completely wedded to Keynes' original vision and regularly denounces those who deviate from classical Keynesian economics. No surprise that Gordon Brown, himself a good old fashioned Keynesian, is one of his favourite politicians.

The problem with being a dogmatic Keynesian is that if you refuse to depart from what is purely theoretical Keynesian economics, you have to make some interesting assumptions as to how the global economy operates. For example, that there is no cost of borrowing money in the long-term. Krugman's argument that instead of imposing present term austerity, we should have just borrowed what we needed as according to Keynesian theory there are no long-term effects of prolonged periods of high levels of borrowing is frankly ludicrous. As our GDP-to-debt ratio increased, our creditors would start imposing sharper interest rates or investors would start demanding higher rates of return on gilts. Eventually someone somewhere is going to have to pay off that money.

Krugman also believes that high levels of government spending have no effect on levels of investment. This is demonstrably false. High levels of government spending usually goes hand in hand with markets becoming less efficient, rising inflation and investment falling as private investors find themselves crowded out by government spending. Also for those who think that having a high debt-to-GDP ratio or deficit-to-GDP ratio doesn't matter, these are actually requirements of our EU membership that should we exceed set levels (which we currently are) we need to take remedial steps to return to normality.

Paul Krugman is the favoured economist of choice for those who know nothing about economics because he simplifies things and sticks to dogmatic theory with uncomplicated assumptions. Unfortunately he has been proven wrong time and time again on his predictions of high unemployment, high inflation and high structural deficit - indeed all of these things have fallen over the course of this Parliament. Google 'Krugman wrong' and you'll find plenty of articles disproving Krugman's predictions, including in the Guardian.
    OK Fiish so explain how Osborne has reduced borrowing contrary to all evidence. And did the 2008 global crash never happen? Has the economy recovered to pre-2008 levels?
  • Options
    Blimey..........................
  • Options
    One thing I'll take from this thread is that some people do go on..
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Both Sturgeon and the french diplomat now denying this was said during the meeting. bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32177315

Dunno what to make of this really. Miliband will use it to persuade SNP voters that if they vote for Sturgeon they risk getting her working with Cameron. Cameron will be using it to underline his message re:Milibands prime ministerial capabilities.
  • Options
    The Scots couldn't even get their act together for the independence vote and now it looks like that witch might even have a say in the running of Government.