Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General Election 2015 official thread

Comments

• Excuse me for returning without reading the previous 449 comments, but take a look if you can at the final section of today's Andrew Marr show with Boris Johnson and Milliband on the sofa together. I think it might surprise a lot of people. Certainly a different Milliband to the awkward over-staged character of the debates.
  • ross1 said:

MODERATORS - PLEASE CLOSE DOWN THIS THREAD - URGENT - CONTACT ME AND I WILL EXPLAIN

CONTRIBUTORS - DO NOT ADD TO THIS THREAD - START A NEW THREAD ON ELECTIONS IF YOU WANT - THANK YOU

...also if Ross has been following the thread over the last week he'd realise the mods don't read any posts on this thread
  • brogib said:

Anyway, moving on.....IS anyone watching Ed the Duck on Andrew Marr? What a chump

Oh dear. I think Boris made himself look like a complete political novice. Only tactic the Tories now have is to personally attack Milliband. I think the electorate are starting to see through this and realise Ed has a bit more to him than "they" would like you to think.

Were you watching the same discussion as me SHG? Boris done him fair and square
  • brogib said:

brogib said:

Anyway, moving on.....IS anyone watching Ed the Duck on Andrew Marr? What a chump

Oh dear. I think Boris made himself look like a complete political novice. Only tactic the Tories now have is to personally attack Milliband. I think the electorate are starting to see through this and realise Ed has a bit more to him than "they" would like you to think.

Your clarity of vision was hindered by those blue tinted lenses ;0)

• brogib said:

brogib said:

Your clarity of vision was hindered by those blue tinted lenses ;0)

Come on, you gotta concede Boris made Miliband look a bit stupid there mate.

My glasses are purple tinted
  • Obviously we all see what we want to see. I thought EM looked relaxed and in control throughout and Boris demeaned himself with those personal remarks. I think once politics and politicians resort to personal attacks rather than on policy then the argument is truly lost. From what I can see the entire conservative election campaign is solely focussed on attacking Milliband. It's why the incumbent party are struggling to win the argument. They don't have one.

I think it is the opposite, Labour's campaign is built around creating the image of the Tory boogeyman and using the fact that Cameron went to Eton as negative campaigning. The Tory campaign meanwhile is built around what they have done in the last 5 years and what they will do.
  • Maybe they've got a point though, he's one of Labour's weakest links
  • Who can i vote for ?
    1. No Benefits for having more than 2 children. Pay for it yourself or sort out some birth control.
    2. Down grade the Royal Family: like the rest of Europe and stop treating them as if their special. (Like a couple of champ football teams fans, there's been to much 1st cousin in breeding)
    3.Stop making London the place to launder ill gotten gains from Russia and the rest of the old USSR.( plus about anywhere now)
    4.Stop piss heads and crack heads using the hospitals.
    If you want to screw up your bodies that's your free will.
    5 Don't let the people who protect Cyril smith, and stop Jenner being put on trial get away with it. Everyone who protected The pervert Saville must pay.
    Ask Prince Charles to explain why he went to The cottage in Scotland or Yorkshire where the pervert had parties. (this guy could be the next king FFS)
    6. The Law comes before Religion. (if your on trial for a serious crime your not allowed to carry out the rituals of getting down on your knees half a dozen times a day.
    7.The money we save from downgrading the Royals we give to Hospitals and Sport centres to get people fitter and tax advantages for folk who join.
    8. Abolish Knighthoods, they should have gone out when the crusades ended.
    9.Be happy and hug a stranger. (Non sexual: unless it's Kelly MaloneBrooke and she agrees !)
    10. CAFC get a bye to the Semi final of the FA cup.

Vote For Sam: coming to a soapbox near you.

Like Addick up North I am with you apart from reservations about 4. Can we replace the House of Lords with a wholly elected 2nd chamber as well?
    So we can have even more career politicians? Oooooo gimme gimme.
    I realise having a bit of democracy over political appointments, accidents of birth and religious beliefs might have been galling for some. But I am genuinely surprised that you are one of them Kentaddick.
    The accident at birth has been stopped I believe? Which is a good thing. The House of Lords should be by appointment only. I'd rather have scientists, successful businessmen and women, economists etc world renowned experts in their field in the second house than career politicians who's expertise is limited to a classics degree and years of climbing the political ladder. You'll also avoid what happens in America where a conservative second chamber blocks a more liberal congress and vice versa.

If you've ever watched a House of Lords debate it's actually incredibly boring. No one lays into anyone else and everyone is respectful and gives educated opinions and concerns on things.
  • On Andrew Marr Boris came over as an entertainment, but Miliband came over very well. Miliband was much better than Cameron last week as he looked like he was making an effort in this campaign, Cameron comes over as a person who has a distaste for dirtying his hands by campaigning. Effectively Cameron has been worse than expected , Miliband better, and that will impact public perception despite differences in details.
    Boris was, as they say, all wind and piss, and there is something troubling about the Boris 'hinterland' which I can't quite put my finger on.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's not all about how they "come over", this fella could be Our next PM and can't even beat off BoJo on a Sunday morning TV show ffs
  • Fiiish said:

Obviously we all see what we want to see. I thought EM looked relaxed and in control throughout and Boris demeaned himself with those personal remarks. I think once politics and politicians resort to personal attacks rather than on policy then the argument is truly lost. From what I can see the entire conservative election campaign is solely focussed on attacking Milliband. It's why the incumbent party are struggling to win the argument. They don't have one.

I think it is the opposite, Labour's campaign is built around crenating the image of the Tory boogeyman and using the fact that Cameron went to Eton as negative campaigning. The Tory campaign meanwhile is built around what they have done in the last 5 years and what they will do.
    "Built it around what they have done in the last five years" !!!!!

So you agree. They have lost the argument.

• brogib said:

Maybe they've got a point though, he's one of Labour's weakest links

Thanks Boris.

• Don't get all this, "yeah he ain't got a clue, but he comes over quite well though."
  • brogib said:

It's not all about how they "come over", this fella could be Our next PM and can't even beat off BoJo on a Sunday morning TV show ffs

I do agree with your 'even Bojo' description because he is an attention seeking wanaker, I disagree that Miliband was bettered by him, and I think Miliband did himself good this morning but Boris is now a stale act.
  • Richard J said:

I saw the exchange between Johnson and Miliband whilst in the Gym with subtitles so observing the body language was fascinating.

Johnson came across as an aggressive bully whereas Ed seemed calm and didn't take the bait . As Seth says Johnson comes over as entertainment and not as a serious politician .

And he managed to bully, as you say, Our prospective next PM.

Says a lot Rich that
  • I agree that Boris flitting around the edges of politics is an often amusing and entertaining sight but as soon as the real stuff starts he really does get flustered and starts throwing his considerable weight around.

I'm certain he still has serious and realistic ambitions to lead the conservatives so as much as the Tories on here site the worry of Ed becoming Prime Minister I counter that with the very likely absurdity of blustering BoJo in number 10.
  • 4 things you should never talk about unless you want a row.
    1.football
    2.Religion
    3.Politics
    4.Royal Family

Breaking news........CL is closing down as there is no news...............
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    Richard J said:

brogib said:

Richard J said:

I saw the exchange between Johnson and Miliband whilst in the Gym with subtitles so observing the body language was fascinating.

Johnson came across as an aggressive bully whereas Ed seemed calm and didn't take the bait . As Seth says Johnson comes over as entertainment and not as a serious politician .

And he managed to bully, as you say, Our prospective next PM.

Says a lot Rich that
    Your opinion . Did you see the interview ?

I thought Ed came out of it well . The fact he didn't take the bait meant Johnson's bullying tactics looked farcical .
    Yeah I saw it and heard it, Ed the Duck folded in half imo
  • brogib said:

It's not all about how they "come over", this fella could be Our next PM and can't even beat off BoJo on a Sunday morning TV show ffs

I wouldn't want to see that filth on a Sunday morning so I'm glad there's been no beating off. They do say politics is a murky world.
  • brogib said:

I wouldn't want to see that filth on a Sunday morning so I'm glad there's been no beating off. They do say politics is a murky world.
    You still saw from your alone day?
  • Someone at work has installed this thingie, it's giving out free copies of Labour's manifesto

• brogib said:

brogib said:

You still saw from your alone day?

Chafed to hell mate but I'll survive.
  • Fiiish said:

Someone at work has installed this thingie, it's giving out free copies of Labour's manifesto

Well done.

• Fiiish said:

Someone at work has installed this thingie, it's giving out free copies of Labour's manifesto

looks more like the green party's... recycled isn't it?
  • Can't be the tory one, not harsh enough for those that sit on their arses all day
  • Interesting that, to many on here, Boris is hated as an out of touch toff, but we learnt from the Marr show that he went to the same primary school and university as Ed.

So apparently based on attending a different secondary school for a few years, Ed is not considered a toff and is seen as a man of the people in touch with hard working families up and down the country.

Strange old world