Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic performance and Bairstow grabbed his chance with both gloves. It's not been easy for him and I'm sure that his Dad looking down would be very proud of him.

Where this puts Sam Billings I really don't know. Expected him to keep in Buttler's absence and to bat at six but that didn't happen and as things turned out he may now go one down in the pecking order.

England's loss would be Kent's gain ;-)
  • Options
    Wow, I avoided the score and have just been watching the highlights on C5, brilliant performance by Bairstow, who on that showing was unlucky not to be in the original ODI squad as a batsman. He also seemed to keep pretty well
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited June 2015
    For me, that is the most enjoyable one series I have ever witnessed. Loved every minute. Shame the Aussies have got to come over and spoil it.
  • Options
    well that was some performance but at 45-5, I was cursing and cussing england as the biggest bunch of wankers on the planet, particularly morgans dismissal!

but a tremendous fightback by bairstow and billings. shame billings didn't make 50 but I think he improved in each game.

the one negative is our poor catching, new zealand held there's bar the bairstow dropped catch. had we taken those that we missed throughout the series we may have won more comfortably.

nevertheless refreshing and encouraging performances from england, well done lads.
  • Options
    Not sure you can play all three of the B Team unless one of them learns to bowl, but it's a hell of a good conundrum to have.
  • Options
    A lot of admiration goes out to Kiwis for the way they play their cricket- and for the extreme entertainment provided over the series.
  • Options
    terrific win and a good series .. England lose their inhibitions and achieve success .. some new 'discoveries' .. Billings, Bairstow and Finn are now worthy of test consideration as is Wood, Rashid is good on slow green pitches but not on flat dry tracks, Roy needs more time to develop .. and of course Root is the best English batsman since I don't know when, Buttler is improving all the time, Morgan is inspirational leading from the front and Stokes is (on his day) a terrific all-rounder
  • Options

terrific win and a good series .. England lose their inhibitions and achieve success .. some new 'discoveries' .. Billings, Bairstow and Finn are now worthy of test consideration as is Wood, Rashid is good on slow green pitches but not on flat dry tracks, Roy needs more time to develop .. and of course Root is the best English batsman since I don't know when, Buttler is improving all the time, Morgan is inspirational leading from the front and Stokes is (on his day) a terrific all-rounder

B.... hell Lincs - you taken one of 'those' tablets this morning?.
  • Options

that's the one day team sorted, all that's needed now is to get the test team in the same frame of mind .. after a few personnel changes
  • Options

that's the one day team sorted, all that's needed now is to get the test team in the same frame of mind .. after a few personnel changes
    What do you think the team will be for 1st Test?
    Let me start...

Cook
    Lyth
    Root
    Bell
    Ballance
    Stokes
    Buttler (Bairstow as backup)
    Wood
    Jimmy
    Broad
    Plus one from Rashid/Ali/Finn/Willey/Footitt depending on pitch/weather etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What do you think the team will be for 1st Test?
    Let me start...

Cook
    Lyth
    Root
    Bell
    Ballance
    Stokes
    Wood
    Jimmy
    Broad
    I think these 10 plus Ali. Root and ballance swapping places. Not giving Rashid a try against west Indies was a mistake.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    given the squad taken to Spain (or is it Portugal ?) for 'training', you're pretty near the mark.
    I have two teams .. what I think it will be and what I think it should be:

Cook
    Lyth
    Root
    Bell
    Ballance
    Stokes
    Wood
    Jimmy
    Broad

Should be: (depending (as you also think) on the Cardiff pitch etc)

Cook
    Lyth
    Root
    Morgan
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Ali
    Wood
    Plunkett (if fit)
    Anderson
    Finn .....

with Ballance, Broad, Rashid, Willey, Hales or Bairstow on 'the bench' ..
    as I wrote above, England has missed a trick in having 4 outta 5 tests in the south .. we should get the Aussies on a nice green Old T, H'Ly or Chester L S pitch, thus making Rashid a viable selection. There is no point picking him on dry flat tracks, he'll get mullered. Morgan (with reservations) deserves another shot as Ballance has been sussed by the Antipodeans as a back foot fudger. Ali needs to settle back into 5 day mode, I am hoping that he can.
    Broad is still a decent player but we need the raw pace of Finn, Plunkett and Wood .. seven batsmen including Buttler is enough to score some runs .. I am a bit concerned with the 'length of my tail ' lol but as I just wrote, seven 'professional batsmen' ought to be enough, especially on a decent pitch. Let the batsmen bat and let the bowlers bowl
  • Options
    I got a lol? I was going with what I expected rather than what I wanted!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I had to go out for dinner with friends when we were 5 down. I was gobsmacked when I came back in the pub to be informed we had won. Utterly brilliant series of games, and to win 3-2 was the icing on the cake.

I hope Northants can keep hold of Willey. (No jokes please...).
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Prefer your "Should be" team with Morgan in for Bell, Lincs.

Maybe the latter has tolled for the last time ?
  • Options
    My team would be:

Cook
    Lyth
    Root
    KP
    Bell
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Rashid
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson
  • Options

I had to go out for dinner with friends when we were 5 down. I was gobsmacked when I came back in the pub to be informed we had won. Utterly brilliant series of games, and to win 3-2 was the icing on the cake.

I hope Northants can keep hold of Willey. (No jokes please...).

All it needs is Lillee and Dilley(RIP),with a bit of Holding and you would be well away !
  • Options

Good player but not so hot when the chips are down .. he looks shell shocked .. needs a rest, he'll still have his central contract so won't lose out financially, which I am sure is a big consideration amongst this band of good mates
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Just back from a charity match at Grimsby Cricket Club .. they had an 'all stars' night last Monday which I did not know about beforehand .. the main guest players for the all stars were Aussie Glen Maxwell and Jonny Bairstow opposing the Lincolnshire Cavaliers ..

the club is quite naturally taking credit for getting Bairstow nice and relaxed and in form before his fantastic innings yesterday .. and as a bit of a sideshow, Maxwell supposedly took the best catch ever witnessed in the fair county of Lincolnshire .. reportedly there is a YouTube film of the catch somewhere .. I'll try to track it down
  • Options
    Rashid is not in the Test squad, neither is Willey. neither is KP, thank God. It is a pity Ballance is there. Playing with him in the Team is like playing with ten men.

The team for the opening Test will be.

Lyth
    Cook.
    Snail,
    Bell,
    Root,
    Stokes,
    Butler,
    Ali,
    Broad,
    Wood,
    Anderson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Morgan is inspirational leading from the front.

Lol!
  • Options

Morgan has proved he is not a Test class player.
  • Options
    Eng V NZ T20 tonight Old Trafford.

England win toss & bat first. England keep the same team.
  • Options
    Here we go - last game of a thoroughly entertaining series.

For all those saying why dont we have any Test matches north of Nottingham ? - i think if you look at the crowd tonight, then that may answer your question.
  • Options
    Jason Roy - walking wicket.
  • Options

Jason Roy - walking wicket.

Roy out - run out by Hales - not so much a walking wicket but a run-out wicket.
  • Options
    Some great shots from Roy, shame he was run out by Hales"
  • Options
    Seems odd that when they show the Englnad bench that 1 ) they look so young, and 2) I dont recognise some players.
  • Options
    Seems odd that they put Bairstow in at 4 above Morgs and Stokes.
    Didnt pay off.
  • Options
    Joe Root is one heck of a player - another fifty.
    He'll be our ABDV for the next 10 years.