Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

Comments

• Options
    England looking good here
  • Options
    117 required from 21 overs with eight wickets in hand.
  • Options
    "Double your score after 30 overs" sets England to a total of 476. Incredible.
  • Options
    This is the best England ODI batting performance I've ever seen. Making a big target look so, so easy!
  • Options
    275-2 off 36.
    Whats taken the shackles off Englands batting ??!! Amazing - so refreshing to watch.
  • Options
    Brilliant innings from Morgan. Just absolutely brilliant!
  • Options
    295-2 off 37 - Morgan smacks a six to get his century.
  • Options
    Morgan looked abject in the world cup. What's changed?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Riviera said:

I'm am more encouraged by the current squad and attitude than I have been as far as England ODI is concerned in almost 25 years. Just need to change the captain.
    Shame it has taken so long to realise the game has changed.

Good old Riviera Boycott.!
  • Options
    Bayliss must be wondering what the problem was lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

275-2 off 36.
    Whats taken the shackles off Englands batting ??!! Amazing - so refreshing to watch.

Not having Cook, Trott, Ballance & Bell in your top four. And promoting Root and Morgan to positions where they can do most damage and lead from the front instead of at five and six.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Morgan looked abject in the world cup. What's changed?

Not under so much pressure now the openers are actually putting on some quick runs. Means he has time to get himself In before playing his usual ambitious shots.
  • Options

275-2 off 36.

Not having Cook, Trott, Ballance & Bell in your top four. And promoting Root and Morgan to positions where they can do most damage and lead from the front instead of at five and six.
    Yep, simples really - but its also a mindset change.
  • Options
    I think Paul Farbrace deserves some credit for this new England attitude too. He's done a fantastic job as caretaker coach. I hope Bayliss continues in the same way
  • Options
    Would be surprised if Bayliss has had no input in the change of mindset honestly. Not to take anything away from Farbrace who has done a great job with the squad to bring it about so quickly.
  • Options
    We've got one heck of a player there in Joe Root.
    100 not out
    21 to win 44 balls left
  • Options
    Roooooooot!!!!
  • Options
    England win by 7 wickets with six overs to spare.

350-3, 44 overs.

NZ were 272-5 after 44 overs.
  • Options
    Made it look easy. We normally lose like that. Fantasitc stuff! This kiwi side are superb... This is a great performance
  • Options
    We could have scored 450 today...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Superb. We made a big target look really easy. England are suddenly a very exciting team to watch. If only this team had gone to the world cup!
  • Options
    Sensational chase.

Morgan in for Ballance?!
  • Options

Sensational chase.

Morgan in for Ballance?!

Might be worth looking at bumping Root to three and slotting Morgan in at five. Rashid in for Ali and Buttler up to seven is another decision that needs to be made.
  • Options

Sensational chase.

Morgan in for Ballance?!

Might be worth looking at bumping Root to three and slotting Morgan in at five. Rashid in for Ali and Buttler up to seven is another decision that needs to be made.
    I just don't think Morgan is a test standard player... Ballance is better at test level.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Riviera said:

I'm am more encouraged by the current squad and attitude than I have been as far as England ODI is concerned in almost 25 years. Just need to CHANGE the captain.
    Shame it has taken so long to realise the game has changed.

• Options
    Superb stuff by England.
  • Options
    Those militating for Rashid probably haven't asked themselves how well Australia might play him and his copious bad balls in a Test

Ali, for all his recent demerits, has shown more evidence he can keep control while ripping it - Rashid spins it both ways but unlike Bishoo recently his stock ball is not especially reliable. I also think that Bishoo bowls at a better pace and spins it more. I suppose Rashid might have earnt a go based on his batting, but I think that if you want to go down that route Borthwick is the better option.

We're not close to having a Test spinner. We should pick one, of course, but given the paucity of options I don't see how Ali shouldn't get first crack.

(And, nice to see a young spinner get 10 on debut in Div 1 today - shame he couldn't defend 410 on a raging turner lol)

Kerrigan isn't the best young spinner at Lancashire any more, btw, it seems. Imagine beating the Aussies with someone called Lilley! A long, long shot, but we really are completely bereft of quality spin.
  • Options
    Essex bowler Reece Topley has won his first senior England call up after being named in a 13-man Twenty20 squad to face New Zealand next week.

Hampshire batsman James Vince is also included but there is no place for former England T20 captain Stuart Broad for the Old Trafford game on 23 June.

Eoin Morgan will captain the side.

As well as Topley and Vince, Kent's Sam Billings, Northamptonshire's David Willey and Durham's Mark Wood have yet to play an international T20.

Topley, 21, has made a name for himself since being floored by a drive from then England batsman Kevin Pietersen during a practice session in Leicestershire.

He has taken seven wickets for Essex in this season's T20 campaign.

Vince, 24, hit an unbeaten 152 for England Lions in an unofficial "Test" with South Africa A in January.

Billings, Willey and Wood have all been involved in the ongoing one-day international series against New Zealand.

National selector James Whitaker said the match gives England the chance to look at new players ahead of the World T20 in India next year.

"The squad is made up of players who have demonstrated their ability in domestic cricket and fully deserve a chance to continue their progress against a very good New Zealand side," he added.

"We have already seen our limited overs cricket begin to move in the right direction which is exciting.

"But we are all aware that we have plenty more to do if we are going to challenge the very best sides in the world on a regular basis."

England squad: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Sam Billings (Kent), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), Reece Topley (Essex), James Vince (Hampshire), David Willey (Northamptonshire), Mark Wood (Durham).
  • Options
    Uncapped Derbyshire seamer Mark Footitt has been named in England's squad for the pre-Ashes training camp.

The left-arm bowler, 29, has taken 32 wickets in Division Two this season.

The training camp in Spain, which begins on 27 June, will give incoming coach Trevor Bayliss the chance to assess his team before this summer's Ashes against Australia.

Footitt is the only uncapped player in the pre-Ashes squad, while all-rounder Chris Jordan and leg-spinner Adil Rashid miss out.

Director of England cricket Andrew Strauss said: "With Trevor Bayliss arriving in the country next Thursday, Trevor, Alastair and I felt it important that both players and management likely to be involved in the early stages of the Ashes have the chance to meet him and fully understand his approach prior to meeting up for the start of the Test series.

"With that in mind, we have arranged a preparation camp in Spain. This will involve a combination of physical and fielding sessions and planning meetings in an informal environment in order to provide the best possible lead up to the first Test in Cardiff."

England's pre-Ashes training camp squad:

Alastair Cook (Essex); Moeen Ali (Worcestershire); James Anderson (Lancashire); Gary Ballance (Yorkshire); Ian Bell (Warwickshire); Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire); Jos Buttler (Lancashire); Steven Finn (Middlesex); Mark Footitt (Derbyshire); Adam Lyth (Yorkshire); Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire); Joe Root (Yorkshire); Ben Stokes (Durham); Mark Wood (Durham).
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    You need as many young spinners as possible and it might be best to play the one who is on form, however ridiculous that sounds. Both Rashid and Ali are exciting players with bags of potential. The same as filling you one day side with players who can hit big and improvise, which seemed a ridiculous suggestion for the past 4 years unknowledgable cricket fans have been calling for it! My next ridiculous suggestion is to fill the test team with big hitters - that might take another 4 years to catch on!