Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2015 Betfred Snooker World Championship Official thread

Comments

• @paulie8290. I saw this earlier & found it an interesting debate. Do you think it's fair that the 17th ranked player has to play the same amount of games as the 128th ranked player. I can see why the players don't like it but can also see it from Hearn's point of view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nji35WHbdiM
  • I think it's very fair, the rankings change so quick now because its a money list and if they player ranked 17th is good enough he should qualify, Michael White is the player who just missed out and what happened to him he lost to a player ranked 81st,
    considering pretty much every other tournament is a flat 128, it should not make much difference.

I love what Barry Hearn has done to the sport, and as I have said previously, before there was not many shocks now anyone can beat anyone.
  • edited April 2015
    Barry Hawkins came close to blowing a 7-2 lead but edged past Matthew Selt 10-9
    Neil Robertson eased to a 10-2 victory over Jamie Jones
    Stuart Bingham came from 5-4 down to beat Robbie Williams 10-7 and now faces Graeme Dott in the 2nd round

tomorrow will see 3 more players book their place in the 2nd round

Mark Davies currently has a 4-3 lead over Ding Junhui that match resumes at 10:00
    Ali Carter currently has a 6-3 lead over Alan McManus which resumes at 14:30
    Mark Allen V Ryan Day starts at 10:00 and will play to a finish from 19:00

tomorrow also sees the start of 2 other matches
    Ronnie O'Sullivan V Craig Steadman starts at 14:30
    Mark Williams V Matthew Stevens starts at 19:00
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Neil Robertson still has the high break with a 143, and the current standing for most centuries is as follows:

Neil Robertson-3
    Mark Selby-2
    Matt Selt-2-OUT
    Ricky Walden-2-OUT
    John Higgins-1
    Anthony McGill-1
    Ali Carter-1
    Ding Junhi-1
    Jimmy Robertson-1-OUT
  • Anyone but Higgins please.

Even Murphy.
  • @paulie8290. I saw this earlier & found it an interesting debate. Do you think it's fair that the 17th ranked player has to play the same amount of games as the 128th ranked player. I can see why the players don't like it but can also see it from Hearn's point of view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nji35WHbdiM

This is the showpiece event of the calendar. If the top 16 didn't automatically qualify you would run the risk of the likes of O'Sullivan not playing at the Crucible.
  • Oh Ding. How on earth do you forget that you're on a 147!
  • Would like to see Trump win it but not sure he has the right temperament over the 17 days. I'm picking Murphy this year
  • edited April 2015
    Today's sessions have finished

Ding Junhui beat Mark Davis 10-7, although I am sure he will be haunted by his 147 failed attempt-and now meets John Higgins in the 2nd round
    Ali Carter beat Alan McManus 10-5-he now faces Neil Robertson in the 2nd round
    Mark Allen eased past Ryan Day 10-3 despite being 3-1 down- Allen will meet Barry Hawkins in the 2nd round

Ronnie O'Sullivan takes a 7-2 lead into tomorrow against Craig Steadman
    Matthew Stevens also takes a 7-2 lead into tomorrow against Mark Williams

3 more players will book their place in the 2nd round

Ronnie O'Sullivan V Craig Steadman will conclude at 10:00 currently 7-2 to O'Sullivan
    Matthew Stevens will look to finish Mark Williams off from 14:30 again currently 7-2 to Stevens
    Joe Perry V Zhang Anda starts at 10:00 and will play to a finish at 19:00

Tomorrow also sees the start of the last 2 matches in the 1st round:
    Shaun Murphy V Robin Hull starts at 14:30
    Judd Trump V Stuart Carrington starts at 19:00
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Neil Robertson still has the high break with a 143(although Ding will be kicking himself, and the current standing for most centuries is as follows:

Neil Robertson-3
    Mark Selby-2
    Matt Selt-2-OUT
    Ricky Walden-2-OUT
    John Higgins-1
    Anthony McGill-1
    Ali Carter-1
    Ronnie O'Sullivan-1
    Matthew Stevens-1
    Mark Allen-1
    Ding Junhui-1
    Mark Davis-1-OUT
    Jimmy Robertson-1-OUT
  • Ronnie got one today Paulie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ronnie got one today Paulie.

yeah I added Ding Junhui twice lol
  • Lets hope Ding gets over his 147 faux pas, and demolishes Higgins the cheat in the next round.

• very interesting day today, seen a unexpected result, almost a white wash
    2 players had decent chances for 147s but both broke down on 6 reds and 6 blacks(yes I know its not that close but balls were very well positioned, and Williams and Murphy will be disappointed not to have made it

Ronnie O'Sullivan beat Craig Steadman 10-3 to book his place in the 2nd round
    Matthew Stevens managed to see off fellow Welshman Mark Williams 10-2 and will meet Ronnie in round 2
    Joe Perry beat Zhang Anda 10-4 and is also through the round 2

Judd Trump holds a 7-2 lead over Stuart Carrington which finishes tomorrow
    Shaun Murphy also holds a 7-2 lead over Robin Hull and that also finishes tomorrow

now tomorrow is a weird day as the first round is not over but the 2nd round begins
    Mark Selby V Anthony McGill starts at 13:00
    Judd Trump V Stuart Carrington also starts at 13:00 with Trump holding that 7-2 lead

Ding Junhui V John Higgins starts at 19:00
    Shaun Murphy V Robin Hull also starts at 19:00 with Murphy holding that 7-2 lead
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Neil Robertson still has the high break with a 143(although in all honesty we could have had 3 147s so far, and the current standing for most centuries is as follows:

Neil Robertson-3
    Mark Selby-2
    Matthew Stevens-2
    Matt Selt-2-OUT
    Ricky Walden-2-OUT
    John Higgins-1
    Anthony McGill-1
    Ali Carter-1
    Ronnie O'Sullivan-1
    Mark Allen-1
    Ding Junhui-1
    Shaun Murphy-1
    Mark Davis-1-OUT
    Jimmy Robertson-1-OUT
    Zhang Anda-1-OUT
  • edited April 2015
    now I know @Oohaahmortimer gets upset when I don't do predictions :wink: so for this I will assume Trump and Murphy see the job off tomorrow

Mark Selby V Anthony McGill
    Joe Perry V Shaun Murphy
    Barry Hawkins V Mark Allen (after his performance in the first round Allen could be an outside chance to win the tournament)
    Ali Carter V Neil Robertson
    Ding Junhui V John Higgins
    Marco Fu V Judd Trump
    Graeme Dott V Stuart Bingham
    Matthew Stevens V Ronnie O'Sullivan (The way he eased past an inform Mark Williams, and having beat Ronnie a few months ago in the Welsh Open, I think Matt has a very good chance here)
  • If that awful gobshite Allen wins I'll…I'll…renounce my faith in 'the snooker gods'
  • Leuth said:

If that awful gobshite Allen wins I'll…I'll…renounce my faith in 'the snooker gods'

I used to have that impression with Allen, but Last year I was at Ally Pally and I went out in between frames, when I got back I was not allowed back to my seat as the next frame had started, so I watched the frame on a screen down the side of the arena, suddenly Mark Allen appeared next to me, he was on his way to the practice table but stayed and watched the frame and was talking to me throughout even explaining a few shots, honestly one of the nicest men I have met.
  • cloth's have been changed on the table so there was no morning session

but this afternoon has seen Judd Trump book his place in the 2nd round and meet Marco Fu after beating Stuart Carrington 10-6

and the opening 2nd round match(the second round is best of 25 so is now split into 3 sessions rather than 2, 8 frames then 8 frames then the possible final 9 frames)
    Mark Selby 4-4 Anthony McGill 2nd session is tomorrow morning
  • these evening Shaun Murphy won the opening 3 frames to ease to a 10-3 victory over Robin Hull

John Higgins had a decent start going 5-1 up over Ding Junhui, but Ding won the last 2 frames and is now only 2 behind going into tomorrow,

tomorrows matches are as follows:
    10:00-Mark Selby 4-4 Anthony McGill-2nd session
    10:00-Graeme Dott V Stuart Bungham-1st session
    14:30-Barry Hawkins V Mark Allen-1st session
    14:30-John Higgins 5-3 Ding Junhui-2nd session
    19:00-Mark Selby 4-4 Anthony McGill-3rd session
    19:00-Graeme Dott V Stuart Bingham-2nd session

we came close to a 147 again today Shaun Murphy was the man responsible this time
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Neil Robertson still has the high break with a 143, and the current standing for most centuries is as follows:

Neil Robertson-3
    Mark Selby-2
    Matthew Stevens-2
    Ding Junhui-2
    Shaun Murphy-2
    Matt Selt-2-OUT
    Ricky Walden-2-OUT
    Judd Trump-1
    John Higgins-1
    Anthony McGill-1
    Ali Carter-1
    Ronnie O'Sullivan-1
    Mark Allen-1
    Mark Davis-1-OUT
    Jimmy Robertson-1-OUT
    Zhang Anda-1-OUT
  • Looks like the Crucible curse could strike again. McGill is on the hill against Selby 12-8.
  • Selby out. Thought I better update this, Paulie wont for a while.
    Doubt he will leave his bed the next 2-3 days, in mourning for Selbys defeat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Selby out. Thought I better update this, Paulie wont for a while.
    Doubt he will leave his bed the next 2-3 days, in mourning for Selbys defeat.

Not really that bothered mate, TBH I never really watched it, Had Bingham V Dott on my TV more interesting
  • You missed a great session. McGill produced an incredibl e break to go 11-7. Selby played well but McGill was superb.
  • You missed a great session. McGill produced an incredibl e break to go 11-7. Selby played well but McGill was superb.

hard to watch 2 matches lol, had Selby on my phone, so saw most of it but my main attention was with Bingham Dott
  • Todays sessions have finished

Anthony McGill is the 1st player to book his place in the Quarter after beating Mark Selby 13-9
    Stuart Bingham is almost there and takes a 11-5 lead into tomorrows final session against Graeme Dott
    Ding Junhui has gone from 5-3 down to 9-7 up over John Higgins
    Mark Allen currently hold a 5-3 lead over the Dartford Hawk Barry Hawkins

Tomorrows matches:
    10:00-Ding Junhui 9-7 John Higgins-3rd session
    10:00-Mark Allen 5-3 Barry Hawkins-2nd session
    14:30-Ali Carter V Neil Robertson-1st session
    14:30-Stuart Bingham 10-5 Graeme Dott-3rd Session
    19:00-Mark Allen 5-3 Barry Hawkins-3rd session
    19:00-Matthew Stevens V Ronnie O'Sullivan-1st session
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Selby-4-OUT
    Neil Robertson-3
    Matthew Stevens-2
    Ding Junhui-2
    Shaun Murphy-2
    Anthony McGill-2
    Stuart Bingham-2
    Matt Selt-2-OUT
    Ricky Walden-2-OUT
    Judd Trump-1
    John Higgins-1
    Ali Carter-1
    Ronnie O'Sullivan-1
    Mark Allen-1
    Mark Davis-1-OUT
    Jimmy Robertson-1-OUT
    Zhang Anda-1-OUT
  • Watching the Robertson vs Carter match. I said to the Missus about what a difficult and skilled game snooker is. Missus asked me whether you have to go to University to play..........
  • vff said:

Watching the Robertson vs Carter match. I said to the Missus about what a difficult and skilled game snooker is. Missus asked me whether you have to go to University to play..........

• I said that being a good snooker player doesn't stop you going to University but there isn't yet a degree in snooker. We then went on to discuss what would be in a snooker degree if such a thing existed.
  • vff said:

I said that being a good snooker player doesn't stop you going to University but there isn't yet a degree in snooker. We then went on to discuss what would be in a snooker degree if such a thing existed.

you got me curious now, what did you decide would be in a snooker degree

gotta mention angles in their somewhere
  • vffvff
    edited April 2015

vff said:

I said that being a good snooker player doesn't stop you going to University but there isn't yet a degree in snooker. We then went on to discuss what would be in a snooker degree if such a thing existed.

you got me curious now, what did you decide would be in a snooker degree

gotta mention angles in their somewhere
    Didn't think of angles but that's a good one. Sports Psychology, Marketing, Brand management, finance management with some accountancy, media and public relations including social media management. On consideration of your angle suggestion, Missus has suggested a critical analysis of your table - whatever that means.
  • vffvff
    edited April 2015
    Missus has now gone onto that if Chelsea win the Premiership would that get promoted to the God's league. The Premier of the Premier leagues. My feeling is that they have enough of that kind of complex already without encouraging them further. On good sporting form today. Loves Charlton and hates Millwall though so got that bit right.