Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Jackson

Comments

• Options
    ...cking hell,never knew KPs middle name was Aubrey.
    Jacko is a legend and without him we would be in bigger trouble,hope he stays fit.................Aubrey ? are we sure thats his middle name???
  • Options
    Absolutely love the guy! Days like these prove why he is still worth so much to the team and to the club in general. When he does eventually retire surely he will get some form of testimonial game because he is a club legend in my opinion.
  • Options

...cking hell,never knew KPs middle name was Aubrey.
    Jacko is a legend and without him we would be in bigger trouble,hope he stays fit.................Aubrey ? are we sure thats his middle name???

For some reason he didn't call his autobiography Aubrey
  • Options
    If Jacko stays fit, I think we will be fine this season. It's pretty clear that his leadership qualities are essential to our squad
  • Options
    Interesting discussion. Sky Sports Yearbook say's it was Jackson's goal, so unless there's an official FA publication that states otherwise I'd think that's the best (non-club) source to go with.

Jackson v Luton (2 of 2)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stig said:

An absolute true legend in my eyes. Almost of Mark Kinsella status.

But before we get carried away, sorry to say its only 49 goals

10/11 14 goals (13 league, 1 FA Cup)
    11/12 13 goals (12 league, 1 FA Cup)
    12/13 12 goals (12 league)
    13/14 5 goals (5 league)
    14/15 2 goals (2 league0
    15/16 3 goals (3 League)

Confusion over a goal scored at Luton in a cup replay where Jackson took a free kick but it deflected in off Racon and was credited to Racon.

So still needs one more for the big 50.

Is that right, Forts? The Sheffield Wednesday programme had him on 48 and he's scored in the last two games.
    Actually, the goal was credited to Jackson and @Matt_Wright took it off him! We gave it back to him as the record books (not just ours) state that it was Jacko's.

So 50 it is.
    That's interesting Olly, how does that work then? I always thought there was an official record taken from the referee's report. Is that not the case then. Can the club just make it up how they like?
  • Options
    He had only scored about 15 career goals at the age of 28 when he first came to us- incredible!
  • Options
    He'll go get a Hat-Trick against Ipswich now just to settle it ;)
  • Options
    I'm just glad he went paintballing, the sky's no limit for him now.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Since the sad death of Colin Cameron,
    Is there anyone who knows the breakdown of JJ goals ?
    Headers, pens,Free kicks, Left foot, and even a few Right foot goals.
    I can't help being an Anorak.
    After seeing Johnnie score a bullet header from 15 yards in the pre season trip to Spain before the 2013/2014 Season, I felt then, he was one of the bravest and best headers of the ball i've seen at CAFC, along with Yann and when i was a young lad,Matt Tees.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Stig said:

An absolute true legend in my eyes. Almost of Mark Kinsella status.

But before we get carried away, sorry to say its only 49 goals

10/11 14 goals (13 league, 1 FA Cup)
    11/12 13 goals (12 league, 1 FA Cup)
    12/13 12 goals (12 league)
    13/14 5 goals (5 league)
    14/15 2 goals (2 league0
    15/16 3 goals (3 League)

Confusion over a goal scored at Luton in a cup replay where Jackson took a free kick but it deflected in off Racon and was credited to Racon.

So still needs one more for the big 50.

Is that right, Forts? The Sheffield Wednesday programme had him on 48 and he's scored in the last two games.
    Actually, the goal was credited to Jackson and @Matt_Wright took it off him! We gave it back to him as the record books (not just ours) state that it was Jacko's.

So 50 it is.
    Without making too big a thing of this, I find this very strange.

I appreciate it was said jokingly, but for a start let's correct the assertion that it was *my* decision. Until Colin Cameron's death, during my time at the club he always had the final say on whom should be credited in the case of disputed goals.

My first instinct on seeing the goal (and the replays) was that it should be credited to Racon, so I certainly agreed with Colin's verdict, but even if I hadn't I wouldn't have gone against the man who was entrusted with maintaining the accuracy of the club's historical records.

Of course, I certainly 'owned' the decision in terms of explaining/defending it to those who disagreed, including Jacko (!), because senior staff are supposed to take responsibility for such things. (Indeed, Racon didn't exactly help by telling some people he was happy for Jacko to have it and others that it was his goal).

On the subject of other record books/websites, what they state is largely irrelevant. Remember Scott Wagstaff's brilliant volley against Bournemouth in August 2011 that was credited to Dale Stephens in many places? Going by the logic above, because Soccerbase still hasn't corrected that most obvious case of mistaken identity, it's unlucky Waggy. I'm afraid you did that falling over celebration for nothing.

These days, with newspapers/websites etc largely all taking stats from a solitary person present at games, it can be incredibly hard to correct any mistakes made, and there have been many occasions when even the club's website (under a centralised Football League contract) has listed different stats than appear in the match report written by the club's reporter. The role of the club is to first ensure its own stats are accurate, and then to provide such information to other outlets (obviously we failed with Rothmans @Stig).

Colin made his decisions based on the evidence available. He had no interest in pleasing players or interpreting events to suit a good narrative. Which is one of the reasons he was so respected.

Trusting Colin, and taking the decision away from 'here today, gone tomorrow' club staff (myself included), also ensured greater consistency across many, many years.

That's why, when Jonathan Fortune's backside deflected Andy Reid's free-kick into the net v Stoke City in August 2007, the goal was credited to Fortune, not Reid. And when a similar thing happened against Charlton for Notts County in February 2011, it was the backside of Neil Bishop credited, not free-kick taker Alan Gow.

Those are just two examples off the top of my head (I confess I looked up the dates) when the same approach was consistently applied to reach a logical verdict. On both occasions, all media sources reached the same conclusion as the club, so whose fault is it that they didn't apply the same reasoning in the case of Racon/Jacko? Not Colin's. Are these other goals now going to be re-examined like a detective looking at a cold case?

After all, it's hardly as if the integrity of Charlton's history was uppermost in the minds of ESPN and the junior PA staffer dispatched to the bright lights of Kenilworth Road to cover a glamorous midweek FA Cup second-round replay between Luton and Charlton... The club must strive to have higher standards.

In truth, it's unreasonable to expect that, after Colin's death, the same consistency will be applied forever more. Other people take on the mantle and will naturally apply their own standards. But it's ridiculous to go back and arbitrarily change past decisions.
    Excellent post. Sums up the situation perfectly.

Makes no sense to "correct" a decision made years earlier arbitrarily. Or to "cook the books" to come up with a popular decision. Just makes a mockery of the club's records which they should take a pride in maintaining correctly.

And as you say, no-one should take the records in the Sky Sports annuals seriously. The books are littered with errors, not least because most of their stats, particularly goalscorers, are just taken from newspaper/PA reports rather than club records.

Look forward to club legend JJ scoring his "proper" 50th goal on Saturday!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apologises to @Matt_Wright and @Fortune 82nd Minute

I have been duped into thinking that was Jackson's 50th goal, but it appears history has been altered at the start of this season.
  • Options
    Why has the club changed the stats in the current programme & yearbook and given the goal to Jackson, when at the time it was credited to Racon?
  • Options
    People can be really stubborn about stats, even in the face of blatant evidence. Wayne Rooney's 50th England goal was actually the one against France this week. But weirdly he is still credited with one from Euro 2004 that was obviously an own goal off the keeper's head
  • Options

He'll go get a Hat-Trick against Ipswich now just to settle it ;)

Except, as we all know, hat-tricks don't count!

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZQBs4DM8VA

Third goal on 3.40. That takes a massive swerve. Hate to say it, but that's got to be Racon's hasn't it?
  • Options
    Reading through these posts I had a warm, happy and glowy feeling.
    Now, I'm in tatters, thanks to the pedants amongst us!
    Anyway, I'd still keep telling JJ it's 49. Another goal like yesterday's would make it well worth it.
  • Options
    The ball was on target originally and that's all that counts on deflection goals, if the ball is not on target when deflected then it's taken away by the dubious goal panel

Jacksons free kick is on target irrelevant of it looking like a simple save for the goalie,

Based on the criteria that they seem to use on the dubious goals panel it would have to be Jacksons goal
  • Options
    Is he any good ?