Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player of the year 2014/15 (Jordan Cousins)

Comments

• Options

Can't believe that decision.

Absolute joke.

How did Hobbis ever beat Kingsley?

Odd one, isn't it? I suspect that there are quite a few old gits like me who would have grown up with stories from their dads and granddads about Hobbis and the double-promotion side. Kinglsey was a generation further back, so you'd have to have gone out of your way to learn of his achievements and what they actually mean to the club, you wouldn't pick it up as an accident of birth.
  • Options
    Well done Jordan , I'm one of the he's not so good on the left ones who couldn't believe how much his touch improved in the middle , for sheer effort and determination he deservedly won the award
    I abstained from voting cos I couldn't pick between the top 3
  • Options
    I watched Jordan a few times in games where there wasn't much else to watch. I have said in other threads, but when we lost 1-0 to Brighton he showed me that he had high end premier class in his locker. I came out of that game not so disapointed. If you watched him at the end of games he was like a marathon runner at the end of the race, everything he had he gave. I think he does have areas to improve. That isn't to say he isn't a great player now, but he can easily raise his touch, passing and goals by 5%-10% I think. Why, because he has shown he can get to that line/level already but not consistently. It isn't easy because the pace, workrate and intenisty he shows can make it hardy to show the composure. But he shouldn't slow down, it will all come and aligned with the way he plays he has a great chance of being the best central midfielder in the league next year. It is easy to forget he is only 20.
  • Options
    Great result. Well done Jordan.
  • Options

sammy391 said:

On here in August I predicted Jordan as POTY, without having any clue about who Igor or JBG even were. I backed him having seen his debut against Forest and marvelling at his calmness and poise in a deep central role. He got kicked out of that role by Poyet, and was asked to play wide this, wide that, just about anywhere. He's so young that he was still included in the young POTY tonight, which seems to me a bit ridiculous. Of course I don't see so many games, but he got my vote in part because of the number of times I heard Peter Finch summarizing the end of the game with the words "Jordan Cousins is absolutely dead on his feet"

You're 19 years old Jordan, and you held this team together. Delighted you got the recognition you richly deserve.

He's 21 but good post still.
    And he made his debut against Barnsley .. But here here!
    My mistake about his age, but then even more baffling why they entered him for young player of the year.

They all look terrifyingly young :-)

No Prague, we're just getting terrifyingly old, I bet you think Policemen look young these days.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    dancafc said:

RedPanda said:

It may be positive spin but I asked Solly about his knee and he said it is completely back to normal and he can play twice a week again.

It's good he's getting back to normal but if that's the case he will pass a medical now which means the vultures will be sniffing around and we all know rolland any chairman / owner will cash in if the price is right
    And some even when the money is not right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sammy391 said:

On here in August I predicted Jordan as POTY, without having any clue about who Igor or JBG even were. I backed him having seen his debut against Forest and marvelling at his calmness and poise in a deep central role. He got kicked out of that role by Poyet, and was asked to play wide this, wide that, just about anywhere. He's so young that he was still included in the young POTY tonight, which seems to me a bit ridiculous. Of course I don't see so many games, but he got my vote in part because of the number of times I heard Peter Finch summarizing the end of the game with the words "Jordan Cousins is absolutely dead on his feet"

You're 19 years old Jordan, and you held this team together. Delighted you got the recognition you richly deserve.

He's 21 but good post still.
    And he made his debut against Barnsley .. But here here!
    And Ed Davey is his MP
  • Options
    Stig said:

Can't believe that decision.

Absolute joke.

How did Hobbis ever beat Kingsley?

Odd one, isn't it? I suspect that there are quite a few old gits like me who would have grown up with stories from their dads and granddads about Hobbis and the double-promotion side. Kinglsey was a generation further back, so you'd have to have gone out of your way to learn of his achievements and what they actually mean to the club, you wouldn't pick it up as an accident of birth.
    My grandad died when I was 9 but for the year or so prior to his death, once he knew I was genuinely interested, spoke a lot to me about Charlton footballers and cricketers he encountered.

I guess because he died the memories of what he said have stayed with me but I do recall him saying Hobbis was a great player but "Scotty" Kingsley was a great man for Charlton.

At that age I didn't really understand and didn't ask either. However I remember him saying he knew Kingsley so he was almost certainly fully aware of the underlying circumstances behind his transfer which have emerged as part of the museum project research.

For the record I voted Kingsley 1 Hobbis 2
  • Options
    our ceo is hot hot hot

Strange choice of opening public speaker considerIng how anti all things cafc in its current form they have been

Welldone fanny and Co for organising

Welldone JC

• Options
    dancafc said:

RedPanda said:

It may be positive spin but I asked Solly about his knee and he said it is completely back to normal and he can play twice a week again.

It's good he's getting back to normal but if that's the case he will pass a medical now which means the vultures will be sniffing around and we all know rolland will cash in if the price is right
    On his form at the end of the season, who would have him?

Rose tinted spectacles, and all that...

Made to look decidedly average his last few performances, and that's me being polite...
  • Options
    Kingsley will probably get it next season. Was wondering how this works. I imagine we only do this for a set number of years, not every year otherwise everybody will get in it. The Hall of fame needs to be relatively exclusive. Is there a target number we are going for?
  • Options
    Was Watt there?
    And was there a general sense that the players are up for next season/play off push etc....?
  • Options

our ceo is hot hot hot

Strange choice of opening public speaker considerIng how anti all things cafc in its current form they have been

Welldone fanny and Co for organising

Welldone JC

She is, but unusually outshone by Guy's missus...
  • Options
    From the Charlton facebook page. (not me)

What i made of every player last night:
    Johnson- nicest there, asked what everyone's name was, top lad, seemed very happy to get so many autographs/photos
    Church- he said he'll definitely be leaving, and really looked you in the eyes when speaking and said thanks a lot, when we said good luck when you go, another top bloke
    Fox- looked happiest to be there and very nice, looked to have a big smile on his face every time I saw him
    Watt- can't believe how fed up and miserable he was, he definety didn't want to be there, couldn't even raise a smile for the picture. Thought he'd be one of the best.
    All the others were about what I expected, bit surprised as Wiggins and Solly weren't that happy, saw them quite late though. Gudmunnson didn't seem that happy.
    The rest like Henderson, Jackson, Cousins all approachable and quite nice
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I can vouch for what a top bloke Alou Diarra is.

Personally took a young boy, (Archie, grandson of a couple I know well) around to every player there to make sure they signed his book.

That's great to hear that, too fella Alou
  • Options
    Also really hope @GlassHalfFull had a wonderful night celebrating his 60th season following Charlton. A lovely, kind, generous guy, and I know he took a few friends with him last night, so hope you had a great night Alan.
  • Options
    A few pics from last night.Well deserved winners I reckon.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who has posted their experience. I really like hearing what the players are like as people at these things. The POTY dinner must be awkward as hell for some of the players, especially the quiet ones like Solly and Watt, so it's nice to hear the effort they put in to look after the kids and engage with the fans
  • Options
    I tell you what I like, I've seen loads of pics of Jordan with his trophy and the looks genuinely chuffed to have won. Must be a great feeling being voted by the fans.